Cyber Enhancements

Is anybody working on a way to upload information into the brain? I really like to read and study but i think it would be better to just upload the information into the brain and bam now you now everything about a certain topic

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/01/scientists-discover-how-to-download-knowledge-to-your-brain/
youtube.com/watch?v=2LWqN2NCnfU
youtu.be/Z3a5u6djGnE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_Web
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes, progress is slow though.

Forewarning: this isn't the magic "now I know it" that everyone is hoping for.

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/01/scientists-discover-how-to-download-knowledge-to-your-brain/

OP here... Well, obviously, but it would be faster than read a 700 pages on a history book that it takes weeks

No, and that's disgusting as fuck

No.
No.

Neuroscience grad student here.

We'll all be dead before they figure it out but it is possible and they've done it before in extremely small experiments. You know how a "genome" is the easy-to-read code for all of a organisms genes? We use the word "connectome" to refer to a easy-to-read map of a person's entire central nervous system (CNS, for short).

I assume you're familiar with the basic structure of DNA. Where a genome is a linear code with the letters A, T, C, or G denoting different nucleic acids and vertical overlap denoting hydrogen bonds, usually written in the format:

ATCGGCATATAT... [etc]
TAGCCGTATATA... [etc]

A connectome has to represent every single connection between nerve cells in the brain. The common explanation for the problem is that we're taking a bowl of spaghetti and trying to figure the exact shape and orientation of every noodle and also trying to figure out every time one noodle touches another noodle.

So pic related is a connectome. Notice that it's a little bit more complex than a genome. This one is from a 1mm worm and it took years to complete.

Doing a human brain with the same methods would take thousands of years. We also need much better graphics cards to do the kind of rendering for this work. I'll post some of the renders next, that's the Sup Forums connection I guess.

Here's what happens when you convert a connectome to code and plug it into a lego mindstorm kit. (Hint, this robot is ostensibly as alive as the worm. It actually has the same "mind" as the worm, scientifically. It basically is our poor, long dead worm made immortal.)

youtube.com/watch?v=2LWqN2NCnfU

>Here's what happens when you convert a connectome to code and plug it into a lego mindstorm kit. (Hint, this robot is ostensibly as alive as the worm. It actually has the same "mind" as the worm, scientifically. It basically is our poor, long dead worm made immortal.)

Now that's some really cool shit. Brb, applying for neuroscience graduate school.

Will we really have to understand the brain completely before we can interface with it directly?
Will we be able to support a brain independent of the body in the foreseeable future?

This is really interesting shit.

Here's what most of the renders look like. One of the other problems is that the negative space you see in between is filled with glia which we still don't know very much about.

>Will we really have to understand the brain completely before we can interface with it directly?
The more we know the better we can interface with it. For instance we've been doing deep brain stimulation since, what, the sixties? It basically involves putting electrodes into a specific area of the brain and sending low volt electricity to them. Depending on where you put them you can have large "blunt" responses, eg. if you have them in the amygdala you can make someone angry and if you have them in the nucleus accumbens you can make someone feel like they're on heroin. Interfacing in the way that OP talks about "downloading information" would require a to-the-amino-acid understanding of the brain, which is fucking ridiculously precise and not at all possible right now.

>Will we be able to support a brain independent of the body in the foreseeable future?
You can already do this by attaching a brain to the body of another member of your species (the sixties were a dark time in neuroscience). If you mean digitally, we're pretty far off, but they already did it with the worm.

Now this is an interesting thread and seeing how the rest of Sup Forums is bad, it's no wonder it's dead and it almost makes me feel a bit sad and mad.

I assume we wouldn't need a complete understanding of the entire brain before something like that becomes possible, instead "just" the complete and absolute understanding of certain parts of the brain. I think our neuroscience friend could perhaps enlighten us a bit more on this subject.

upload information into the brain

lol

Dude that robot looks creepy as hell if you think of it as it is a damn worm.

I figured as much. Ghosts and shells are a bit too far off for our generation, sounds like.

I just want fucking AR to become a real thing within the next decade.

bump because this is the only good thread on Sup Forums rite now tbqh.

how can i go about learning more on neural networks. and more importantly what are ways of programing said networks.

sometimes at work i get these great ideas mostly elementary base on information gathering and processing. I entertain myself with thought experiments and come up with some good shit but all is forgotten by the time i get home to record the data and i have somewhat of an idea on the programming but it's all from an outsider POV as i don't know how to code.. anyways. pls help

++ Android wear question?

I know for example the moto 360 is able to record voice. but how long can i record before the battery dies out.

I'd probably only need about 30-45 mins recording time throughout the 8hr day.

any of you guys familiar with this?

There's that thing that combines paintings and pictures. It's open source, but I don't have a github link on me.

The batteries are supposed to last all day. Look at YouTube reviews, they'll say that much.

The new OS just announced a few hours ago doesn't require a phone to be carried, either, so I'm gonna wait for that to flesh out at least.

I know it will take several years to accomplish this but it will be really interesting if somebody manage to do it. Almost every idea on Ghost in the shell and Deus ex, mostly based on old books and movies, but I love the way in both stories manage to create technologies that could make sense and might be a solution to a lot of issues in real life

What books are they based on, anyway? I wanna stop calling everything a GitS ripoff, but its the oldest I know besides Arthur C Clarke.

Is there a way that I can donate my unused GPU power toward this sort of project? It definitely seems like something worthwhile.

> just upload the information into the brain and bam now you now everything about a certain topic
Literally not how the brain works

They're based off the idea that "magic technology made it so we instantly know things"

Physical and sensory augments are coming along very nicely, but this fanciful idea that we'll be able to just dump data into our brain and suddenly know things is fucking stupid. Not even computers work that way, they have to be equipped with the right instruction sets and designed correctly for them to take that data and make it usable.

>dump data into our brain and suddenly know things is fucking stupid. Not even computers work that way
pretty sure that is exactly how computers work user

there is a lot of labelled data available to use on the internet

IT grad here, no it isn't.
I'm every GB of data there is a little bit of overhead (which is why 1gb is 1024mb instead of 1000mb)
That overhead is basically there to tell the computer meta information (Hi, I am some data, this is how you read me etc.) Without that metadata the computer can't make sense of the data, like when you try open an exe in a word processor and get gibberish because it's the wrong format and the computer has no fucking clue what's going on. The metadata basically gives the computer context on the data. I assume the same principal would apply to brain uploading too. People remember information via memories that give them that context. Without that context, how would you distinguish real information from some random piece of Bullshit that your brain pulled out of its ass?

I've been researching how to remember things for quite a while now.

The mind palace is what everyone seems to talk about, but I don't think it's practical for everyday stuff.

I need a way to put things in long term memory. Can somebody help?

bournal

Thanks

>I just want fucking AR to become a real thing within the next decade.
That's happening though, just look at what Magic Leap and Microsoft's Hololens division are doing.

All consumer-centric tech companies are focussing on this problem right now. With such vigor and determination that the vision of AR and the things that are possible through it are found through out current popular culture and media.

10 years? try 5.

>we'll all be dead before
>not knowing that biologic immortality is at max 60 years away

there are a bunch, neuromancer from william gibson is one considered the cyberpunk bible for example. Any book from Asimov, basically every concept from GiTS is on his books, good writers are Lewis Shiner, Pat Cadigan, Rudy Rucker, Bruce Sterling

How do you supposed it will be? I know this isn't the way it works but that is the only way I could think it will be... There should be any other methods and/or process

well, there's "happening" in the sense that it is actually usable, and "happening" in the sense that it's actually useful.

I want my fucking scouter.

you're living in a dream world, even if immortality is discovered do you think you'll be able to afford it.

Because of the effects it would have on population pressure and human culture, there may even be severe restrictions on its use, even if you were anywhere near to being able to afford the treatments.

We aren't immortals, but hey, maybe we'll be lucky enough to see 130 comfortably with new med tech

>Focusing on AR because of """vision"""
No, they just want it for advertising with a side of botnet.

thanks.

I'm rich bitch, think again! I'm going to live on Titan!

It's better to donate your brain power. Go end earn a computational neuroscience degree and contribute. It will bring you money and fame.

It is very hard because every brain is different, different physical neurons and synapses are used to represent different concepts.

But it IS possible to accelerate learning using smart teaching systems that try to provide the best learning curriculum and content for you to learn.

Also spaced repetition.

you misread. I said the vision of AR, the ideal scenario in which AR is pervasive in our day to day lives, lives in media and popculture, it's what the people want.

Corporations absolutely stand to profit ridiculously by equipping people with 24-hour eye-tracking analytics devices. I never said that they have any sort of dreamy altruistic motivation for producing these devices.

>I'm rich
>posting on Sup Forums

not rich enough.

Off topic, I know the artist that did OP's image. They were on the Painter X website.

>he doesn't know Taylor Swift is a Sup Forums regular

I don't think it would grant immortality, but i think it would be something like in Battle Angel Alita The Last Order, in which all the brains are connected to make a big super computer

That's not why a gb of data is 1024mb. 1gb is 1024mb because of the numerical system bits and bytes have.

Otherwise, you're correct about the need for metadata and protocols. It is all just lows and highs, but first it needs to read the specific lows and highs on how to interpret the next set of lows and highs.

Yeah... nah...
See if you can get your money back on that degree.

Swift on Sup Forums was confirmed for fake by mootikins himself.

>inb4 cover up conspiracy theory
>inb4 who the fuck is moot

Post more cool stuff, that robot is the most awesome creepy thing I've seen all day.

Bump

Thanks for that explanation.

I'd love to see something like knowledge dumps into the brain.

I hope for a world where all humans are inside of servers, living in a virtual world, immortal. All knowing. Godlike humans if you will.

That'll just give us a new definition of "god".
Wonder what it'll be. Wonder if someone's already wrote a book on the subject.

yeah bro
you're thinking in terms of retard science which plebs use

trust me, i assure you there are better ways of 'mapping' the CNS

you have no idea how primitive and retarded mainstream science is.
it's really just an elaborate excuse for people to nurse paychecks and have a daily routine in their lives, and to support the academic world

Would you care to elaborate? I really need/want to know more about this topic

Hopefully connectome mapping takes off similar to gene sequencing techniques.
It's dirt cheap and easy compared to what it used to be.

>It basically is our poor, long dead worm made immortal.
Pic related

youtu.be/Z3a5u6djGnE
I think im fine with just reading bodily sensors and signals, having the ability to change them sounds a bit too dangerous. Considering how the largest of websites are attacked every 8 years.

Well assuming it starts out just as smartphones but attached to our neck, we'll probably be fine. As long as it doesn't have anything that could be used to disable someone in any capacity besides connectivity when hacked.

i wish there were decent or useful enhancements availiable. fuck id were glass if i could think of a use for it.

>It basically is our poor, long dead worm made immortal

I'm not so certain a scientist, and not a mataphysician, is ever qualified to make that claim.

>which is why 1gb is 1024mb instead of 1000mb
WTF did I just read?

if there's a killer app, there'll be a userbase. if there's a userbase, there'll be something useful.

if there's something that you can't do with your phone almost as well, there'll be a killer app.

>Hint, this robot is ostensibly as alive as the worm
Question from a noob here, is this just simulating neurons or the chemicals surrounding them?
From the pop science shit I've heard in conversations neurons are much more complex than basic in and out. Not only are they analog, they vary depending on the amount and types of chemicals surrounding them.
Rather than just a transistor, a transistor with a couple dozen infinitely specific knobs affecting the output. I thought that'd shit all over simulatability.

While good old reading and studying is romantic and all, as a species mankind can and has always advanced further through the use of technology. Instead of wasting years of learning, the ability to have it all, without effort, would be groundbreaking. And could help people say with dyslexia and or other issues able to integrate into society better. Certainly that would mean learning how to cope with other people, learning social skills might have to implemented in other, perhaps more tradiotional ways.

Then again, mere thought of SJW bullshit that would most likely incorporated with the use of this technology makes anyone with brains nauseous. And that is just tip of the iceberg of all the dangers related in this.

>glia which we still don't know very much about.
the little worms that connect and disconnect our transmitters, thus making us essentially into a superstructure controlled by billion of sentient microworms. always found that astonishing.

>The mind palace is what everyone seems to talk about, but I don't think it's practical for everyday stuff.

To remember you need to learn in symbols thus emotions not linguistics. The brain can only store emotional information for a longer time, thus all the memories you have are emotional triggers. To remember a particular text it is necessary to imagine it, that's why good scientists are capable of imagining abstract procedures and methods while normal people can't.

>IT grad whom can't tell the difference between Gigabyte and Gibibyte.

Holy shit this is so wrong it hurts.

Also, your example is pretty flawed because the meta information you provide is essentially a file suffix. You still rely on a human to interpret the actual text document and this is the problem: how to describe the content/semantics of your data? How does your computer know if some random string in its memory is the name of a person or the address of your (obviously really bad) university or whatever else? This is the kid of information you need and nowadays we rarely equip our data with this kind of meta information.

For computers in the context of databases you can do e.g. this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_Web

bump

>IT grad here
>I'm every GB of data there is a little bit of overhead (which is why 1gb is 1024mb instead of 1000mb)
i hope it's not too late to get a refund on that "education", user