Why is it so hard to do things in Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

httpredir.debian.org/debian
developer.android.com/studio/index.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_manager
developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads
gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

B/c ur retarded

>hard
I use Linux because it's convenient and not hard at all.

Are you using Linux the wrong way (aka thinking it is Windows)?

takes some getting used to.

after you go through it, you will wonder how you lived without it.

These.

Its bad learning curve, but once you get it..

People always say this buzz phrase shit.

How the fuck do you use Linux the 'right' way then?

What do you do with your computer?

>summerfag decides to visit Sup Forums
>sees all these threads about how great Linux is
>falls for the Arch meme
>cant install Arch for whatever reason
>"Why is linux hard"

P. sure OP is bait, but I agree with the sentiment. Installing stuff through apt-get is more confusing than one-click .exes, and half the time I try to install something I have to resolve a fuckton of dependencies

Linux is hard because gays love hard cocks.
Lol

By using it as a NIX and not like it's Windows

Everyday stuff mostly, lurking, programming, listening to spotify, maybe some gaming if I feel like it. Every once in a while I need to do non-trivial stuff, but it's always so convenient to use Linux because it's so well-documented and intuitive.

For example: A couple of months ago I got a new computer, but I didn't feel like reinstalling. First I dd'd over my root partition to the new SSD. Since the new disk was smaller than my last one (SSD opposed to spinning disk), I could then change the mount point for /home and rsync my old /home partition to the new one. The new machine just worked after that. Simple as fuck.

Install Nvidia Driver under Windows 7

>google "nvidia drivers windows 7"
>go to site and specify operating system
>download file
>run
>next, next, next, done
>everything works perfectly

Debian 8
from the official wiki page

>Add jessie-backports to your /etc/apt/sources.list, for example:
># jessie-backports
>deb httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free
>Install Linux headers for the kernel you are using. If you are using the 3.16 Linux kernel in Debian Jessie:
># apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,')
>Or if you are already using a Linux kernel from jessie-backports:
># apt-get install -t jessie-backports linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,')
>Then we can install the package nvidia-driver.
># apt-get update
># apt-get install -t jessie-backports nvidia-driver
>DKMS will build the nvidia module for your system.
>Restart your system to enable the nouveau blacklist.

or
>1. Download the installer from nvidia site (md5 hash: e97025c351e420fa62431a1774d84f40 NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-352.55.run)
(sha1 hash: 68b0da3ddc9599618520062f48efdd55df3f458d NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-352.55.run)
>2. Install the build tools and the kernel headers:
># aptitude install linux-headers-3.16.0-4-amd64 build-essential
>3. The installer complains if X server is started, so go in runlevel 3:
# init 3
>4. Make the installer executable:
chmod u+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-352.55.run
>5. Run it:
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-352.55.run
>6. Accept the licence
>7. Then a little warning appears about 32bit library. OK
>8. Say "Yes" to run the nvidia xconfig
>9. Reboot

Look how many random things you have to know ahead of time or look up. None of it is intuitive unless you've been doing this for a long time.

One of the real dirty secrets of CS is programming is one of the easiest things you can do with a computer. I don't mean the programming itself is easy, what I mean is configuring the software to run on varying hardware is usually effortless. Users who are more focused on media have a harder time.

why would you need that?

I want to develop Android programs
>Windows
>search for a suitable ide and go to download page to download, then intall it, fix problems becasue they never just work on Windows
>go to oracla page to odwnload Java
>installer tries to install ask toolbar for fuck's sake.

>Ubuntu
sudo umake android
>Ide+libraries are downloaded and installed automatically, go grab a cofee, when i get back everythig is installed and configured, start working right away.

Stay pleb Wincucks.

If you have to copy/paste lines you don't understand from random websites you found through a google search just to change your resolution there's no way I can consider this "easy".

Why would I need to install Nvidia's driver? Because it's better than Nouveau.

And I am aware I could have simply installed ubuntu or mint and it would have been easier, but then I'd have Ubuntu and that comes with its own issues.

That's why there is synaptic for people who need a GUI.

>One of the real dirty secrets of CS is programming is one of the easiest things you can do with a computer. I don't mean the programming itself is easy, what I mean is configuring the software to run on varying hardware is usually effortless
Yes, I am aware

>Users who are more focused on media have a harder time.
Well, I don't pretend Linux is some catch-all platform. But it definitively isn't hard to use.

For the little music recording I do, I use Logic Pro on my Macbook Pro. However, as that is also a NIX system, I'm pretty comfortable on Mac too, even though some stuff is a little different.

>wget
>chmod +x
>service lightdm stop
>./
>accept y y yes y y /usr/local/cuda y

OH WOW THAT WAS FUCKING HARD

How do you know you're getting what you need when you type sudo umake android? You had to look around for a "suitable ide" on Windows, what makes you sure you'll get the right one with umake?

like a fucking operating system you sperglord

>why would you need essential things like drivers for your hardware to make sure it is properly functional and is effectively utilizing available resources
That is how stupid your question sounds to non-retarded people like you. Please, consider rethinking what you are typing on this board to not look like a complete tech-illiterate mongoloid. As for now, here is a special designated place for your level of stupidity:
>>Sup Forums

>use a non retarded distro
>open software & updates program
>go to additional hardware tabl
>select the nvidia driver i want to use
>click apply
>reboot
>profit
Wow fuckign hard.

>Debian 8
Let's just choose the most retarded distro out there,shill.That problem is rooted in Debian,not the rest of Linux.

>implying this driver shit isn't for Sup Forums kiddies like yourself

nice try kiddo

Unless you are developing software exclusively for UNIX systems then using GNU/Linux is stupid.

Becasue Android Studio is the industry standar and that's why i got.

You have to know ahead of time what all of these terms means.

>wget
>chmod
>service
>lightdm

None of these are plain english. For the most part the Windows installation is in plain terms. The only thing you need to know is driver for the initial google search.

>Unless you are developing software exclusively for UNIX systems then using GNU/Linux is stupid.
Guess what, 90% of programming is not programming desktop applications.

What's hard about it, user? It's literally easier than going to some obscure ad-filled page for a .exe. just "apt-get install $PACKAGE"

> pacaur -S nvidia
> reboot

Okay, so you knew that ahead of time.
And now that I know that I can just type "android studio for windows" into an internet search and the first result will be this page.

developer.android.com/studio/index.html

Google is pretty much a package manager for Windows. But you have to know how to use because it's not all safe. That's the hard part of Windows.

>None of these are plain english.
They literally are

>wget - web get
>chmod - change mode
>service - service (it's even called service on Windows too)
>lightdm - that's just the name of the service, but it is short for light(weight) display manager

Also, you don't have to install by terminal. You can just as easily go to the Nvidia website, click on the .deb or .rpm download and open that when it's done downloading. Running the script works on ALL distros though, not just on Debian-based or RPM-based ones

>Anomynous
Kek
>Using an AUR helper
Why?

What obscure ad-filled page? There are about four or five places you should be downloading programs from if you're using Windows.

because i've got shit to do unlike some people

just let the magic machine do its thing, use Windows today!

Nvidia provides .run files for download these days. If you try to use that with Debian you'll have to go figure that out as well. Not really a big problem, but it's several more steps for a first-time user.

>A package manager or package management system is a collection of software tools that automates the process of installing, upgrading, configuring, and removing computer programs for a computer's operating system in a consistent manner.
>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_manager

Yeah and wait for it to download then read the installer carefully to avoid some shady search engine and toolbars, same deal with java and the Ask toolbar, it really looks like an OS made to scam people.

Even then a one line apt-get is easier.

>Nvidia provides .run files for download these days.
That's the script I was referring to.

> If you try to use that with Debian you'll have to go figure that out as well. Not really a big problem, but it's several more steps for a first-time user.
I already listed the steps in

Install Nvidia Driver under Ubuntu or Mint
>open the 3rd party driver program
>click on the driver you want
OH WOW SO FUCKING HARD

On ATI you need to paste a command in the terminal after installing the driver, but that's because ATI is even shittier on Linux than Windows.

Most of the time I need to download something in Windows, I can find and install it without hassle. If I fuck something up during installation, the fix is usually well documented. In Ubuntu, my experience is mostly like There's the software center GUI deal but doing shit through the terminal probably teaches me more in the long run

>my experience is mostly like
That's really only because you are using Linux the wrong way (as if it is Windows).

If you install the package through the package manager you should nearly always be in good shape.

And what exactly is an internet search engine if not a software tool? Or an executable wizard?

Those steps are pretty obscure until you know what you're doing. The knowledge required to install under Windows is less than under Linux. That's just the way things are. Once you know what you're doing it's about the same.

Are you a fucking child who can't do things for themselves?

>Those steps are pretty obscure until you know what you're doing
They are listed on nvidia website FFS

>The knowledge required to install under Windows is less than under Linux
You can literally double click a file and it will ask for sudo/root password and install itself

HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT REQUIRE MORE KNOWLEDGE THAN ON WINDOWS?

>>open the 3rd party driver program
What are the steps involved in that? Nvidia drivers often shit the bed when installing through software center.

Whether you can double click it or not depends on which distro you're running.

that doesn't install the latest version though

/thread

Fucking archfags!

Ubuntu notifies you automatically if there are drivers available.
On Mint you just type "drivers" in the start menu. At least for Nvidia it's extremely easy.

Once you get the idea of PPAs you can add the nvidia ppa and the newest drivers will show up as an option.

95% of all Linux installations in the entire support either Debian packages or RPMs, which is why those two are supported by Nvidia.

Installing is never the issue with Linux. It's configuring everything after. Anybody can get a default installation up and running.

because software dependencies and libraries are stored in public repositories that whatever program he's compiling references. when he runs umake it looks for them, finds them and installs them. if anything fucks up it halts and hopefully gives the user enough info to go about solving the issue

Where do you download a current .deb or rpm file on Nvidia's site? Everything I'm finding is extremely old.

Software Center?

>pacman -S nvidia
>wait a few seconds
>aaaaaaand we're done

Such hard.
Much difficult.

Don't you have to add the repository first?

In Arch? No. Already in main repo.

>Where do you download a current .deb or rpm file on Nvidia's site?
On their website

>Everything I'm finding is extremely old.
wtf? You literally get the newest version of their Linux driver from their website.

If you go through the standard driver pages you'll get a .run file.

>It worked fine for me when I did it, nobody could ever possibly have problems!
It took me 4 hours of constant searching and different methods to get xorg to work with a basic intel driver.
This is the problem with a patchwork operating system, if it works then great. If it doesnt, you're absolutely fucked and nobody is going to admit there's a problem because W-WELL IT WORKED FINE F-FOR ME! S-SHUT UP MICRODRONE!

And over here in Archland, it's

>pacman -S xorg-server nvidia
>wait a few moments
>aaaaaaaand we're done

I'm sorry your Gadzooks/Looney experience was soured by an unusable distro.

Methinks you can double click that

Anyway: developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

>it took me four hours to get something that works OOTB to work
wew lad

>use a distribution not meant for server
>since you need proprietary shit use a distribution that provide those packages by default unlike debian
>most of those distribution will come with the proprietary drivers already installed

I'm sorry but you're just stupid and use the wrong distribution.

>admit there's a problem
I admit there is a problem.

It exists between the keyboard and the chair.

I haven't had to read a tutorial to install a program under Windows in a decade.

Any time I try to install something under Debian or Fedora I am spending half an hour reading guides and tutorials, or fucking around reading forum threads. Or I come here and ask in the /sqt/ or Linux threads and get meme answers.

Why is it like this? Because Linux is not a desktop OS and I am not a System Admin or programmer and it has no need to cater to the sort of things I do.

>installing program in windows/macos in 90s
>download executable
>run and install executable
>done

>installing program in loonix in 2016
>freetards will defend this

I repeat my previous statement.

When it works, it's great.
When it doesn't, THAT CAN'T POSSIBLY HAPPEN THIS IS PERFECTION THERE'S NO WAY A PROBLEM CAN ARISE YOU'RE JUST AN IDIOT

If you're going to use Ubuntu you might as well just use Windows and save yourself some trouble.

>I've used Windows for over a decade, I know its ins and outs
>I'm completely new to Linux, how come I need to read about it to understand it?

You answered your own question.

>in a decade.
you answered your own question user

DESU you are an idiot. It's not Linux' fault that you can't use it.

Face it, you're about as computer illiterate as your grandmother when it comes to Linux. That's nobody's fault but your own.

Why are you having such difficulty using a package manager? Either type in what you want into a terminal or click the shiny button and let it do the rest. This isn't exactly rocket science, and doesn't require any guides or tutorials.

>THAT CAN'T POSSIBLY HAPPEN THIS IS PERFECTION THERE'S NO WAY A PROBLEM CAN ARISE YOU'RE JUST AN IDIOT
The thing is that any problems you might be running into are completely trivial and easily correctable by anyone who actually understands what they're doing. This would explain most of the replies you're getting.

The OOTB driver included with most of the distros I've tried is limited to VGA, SVGA, and XGA. Everything else you have to set up a custom modeline with xrandr (and it doesn't work half the time). That is not acceptable.

Windows/OSX veterans can make the switch to the other and be familiar and up to speed within an hour.

You need to spend a lifetime to get everything in loonix.

>Where do you download a current .deb or rpm file on Nvidia's site?
I don't think they host .deb-s on their website. You could download the .deb from the nvidia ppa, but why would you do that?
It's not Windows, it doesn't have to work like Windows.

It's not? Unless you're a guy who's never used computers before, linux is a walk in the park.

Been tinkering with Linux off and on for the same amount of time, user.

Things used to be easier. 2010-ish seemed like Linux on the desktop was really going to be there, but it has regressed.

>That is not acceptable
Yet, you accepted to it when you started using Linux.

It is provided "as is".

gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

That's untrue. I can't use Windows for shit, but I use Linux and OS X on a daily basis.

OS X and Linux are both fairly similar, both being NIXes. Windows, on the other hand, is a clusterfuck of arbitrary design decisions accumulated over a period 20 years.

Maybe to use as a facebook machine. Ironically it is better at this task than Windows.

>install opensuse
>google opera for linux.
>find ftp.redhat.org/index of/browsers
>download
>click
>unresolved dependencies
>linux sucks...back to windows

>Been tinkering with Linux off and on for the same amount of time, user.
Well, obviously you haven't picked up on anything.

>Things used to be easier. 2010-ish seemed like Linux on the desktop was really going to be there, but it has regressed.
This confirms my previous statement. Things are generally working a lot better now, in 2010 there were all sorts of problems with UEFI, AHCI, buggy Intel NIC drivers, etc. I'm glad the 2.6 branch of the kernel is long gone.

>ITT Pajeet angry at Linux becasue they failed at Linux sys admin 101.
Good luck scaming old people.

>mfw X shat itself
year of the linux desktop: never

In 2010 it felt like those issues were more well documented. The wikis were up to date. The issues with the NIC drivers had good forum threads with all the information to resolve it there.

It's more scarce now, and the information you find is harder to follow or seems to rely more on hacks.

I've been using Windows since 3.11, I've been trough all the changes Windows has gone trough. And I fucking hate OS X, I cannot stand it, but hey it's the easiest OS to install software in.
Everything about the OS X UI feels like it was designed ass backwards, or different for the sake of being different, I've had a much easier time getting used to Cinnamon (doesn't really matter on which distro), which felt like a straight upgrade over Windows' UI.
But DEs like Gnome 3 and Unity are fucking awful and I can see why someone coming from Windows will be disgusted, perhaps people coming from OS X will find them easier to use.

You can do reasonably well with OS X without ever having to touch the terminal

>but it has regressed.
If you say so, personally I don't miss having problems with my audio, wireless network, V Sync, etc.

What are you talking about lad? I do a lot of things on my linux machine, internet doesn't even scratch the surface. If you installed gentoo or arch as your first distro then maybe that's why you're having a hard time.

I don't know what to say other than you being completely mistaken.

As someone who has used Linux since 2002, I can say that not only has the viability of running Linux as your daily driver increased significantly, but the increasing userbase has also led to significantly improved tutorials, documentation and general support and help from the community.

>Everything about the OS X UI feels like it was designed ass backwards, or different for the sake of being different
This rustles my jimmies. It was never designed to be a Windows, most of this UI has a long tradition back to the first Macintosh days. Long before there were any Windows around.

As for Gnome 3, that shit is designed to work for both tablets and computers.

But you can do even better if you do.

I mean, some of the Apple BSD-like utils are like porn to use.

>audio
Oh shit, I forgot the whole PulseAudio vs ALSA thing. I must have supressed it.

Yeah, that was really hell. I'm , I remember all the struggles with UEFI and also AHCI stuff.

Unpopular opinion, but I did install Arch as my first Linux distro and I don't regret it. It forced me to actually learn about my system and Linux in order to fix all the shit I fucked up. 10/10 would do again.