What does Sup Forums think of minis?

What does Sup Forums think of minis?

I'm looking for a minimalist setup for my desk and I don't know about buying a big bulky desktop. I don't do a lot of gaming, so I don't really want a gaming rig. The most I do is a little bit of video editing and picture editing. I know that screams "buy an iMac", but I don't have $1400 to throw at apple at the moment. For my whole setup, I want to spend maybe $800-900.

>Do any of you use the mini-cpus?
>What do you think of them?
>Are they worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Gigabyte-Barebone-i5-4570R-Graphic-GB-BXi5-4570R/dp/B00HYEU0C8/
eexe1.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/install-os-x-10-9-mavericks-and-window-8-1-in-gigabyte-brix-pro-tutorial/
microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Lenovo-Ideacentre-AIO-300-23ISU-Signature-Edition-All-in-One/productID.333752300
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100U/3511vsm37381
intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc6i7kyk-features-configurations.html
youtube.com/watch?v=KnapaZYD2cU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why not build a mini-itx PC?

Some people like to pay more than the price of an mini - itx pc for 1/2 of performance, dunno why.

They're the performance of a laptop, for the price of a laptop, but without the portability of a laptop.

Might as well get a laptop.

I was in the same boat and wound up with a mac mini. To get decent specs you're looking at roughly the same price, unless you go ARM. The ARM devices typically are a bit under powered.

next time i probably would go with a mini itx build and put linux on it, if i can find the time.

Aren't mac minis like $500 starting?

how does mini-itx perform worse than a laptop when you can put arbitrary desktop cpu's in them?

We dont care about GPU's as said in the OP

Work a little overtime and save up for a iMac.

I've never attempted to build a pc.

>video editing

Full tower ATX with a GPU.

Is it good? Like, for someone who doesn't game or anything, is it worth it?

Also, I don't get the term ARM.

From what I'm seeing on Amazon, yeah. For memory, I'm just going to go through with getting extra memory things. I already have a 2tb memory drive that's damn near empty. I'd only use it to store pictures and movies on anyway.

Fuck off Pajeet.

>video editing
>with overheating overpriced trash

2 rupees have been deposited in your iTunes account.

I'm looking at those now.

Just kind of sucks that all of my friends with full towers look like shit in their apartments. No matter how hard they try, the cords and shit just look ugly and cumbersome. I want neat and minimalist, with just enough functionality.

>memory drive

just dont force anything and clean your hands beforehand, and there's loads of tutorials online. do you not know what parts to put in?

I meant mini PCs like the NUC OP posted. Mini ITX is much more reasonable if you care about performance

>video editing
for $900 you might as well do an itx build and get a proper desktop cpu and gpu

one of the lower-end i5s and a cheap gpu would give you heaps more power for photo and video work (and handle a bit of vidya when you're in the mood)

do you beg your wife's son to assemble IKEA furniture you bought for your cuck shed user?

I have this one:

amazon.com/Gigabyte-Barebone-i5-4570R-Graphic-GB-BXi5-4570R/dp/B00HYEU0C8/

I don't actually play many games on my computer either but I have written some games and applications for iOS and Android on this, it's very fast, especially when you put in an SSD.

I've dualbooted it with Mac OS X and Windows just fine.

If you want to do that:
eexe1.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/install-os-x-10-9-mavericks-and-window-8-1-in-gigabyte-brix-pro-tutorial/

There's other guides out there if you need them.

You can also use a USB sound card if you can't get the sound working in OS X.

Also make sure you get the right type of RAM for this, I've noticed online that people get the RAM at the wrong voltage and they complain it won't turn on, in this case it's:
"SO-DIMM DDR3L slots (DDR3 1.35V) 1333 / 1600 MHz"

Hope that helps :)

Nope. I have the sticky up as we speak. But I wouldn't know how to start with a mini-version.

nope, not married. Forever alone PT. I assemble my own ikea furniture mang.

>muh cables
microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Lenovo-Ideacentre-AIO-300-23ISU-Signature-Edition-All-in-One/productID.333752300

That's the best you're going to get. And the GPU is still trash for video editing.

That looks good. So, with mini-pc's I'm guessing certain speakers wouldn't work. Same with monitors. Right?

15 rupees have been deposited into your Microsoft account.

It's pretty good, does everything I need it to do. It does a bit of gaming too some CSGO and garrys mod, but don't expect to play this years AAA title.

ARM is a type of CPU architecture that most mini computers come in. It can't run Windows. They're very cheap.

Minicomputers?
I'd love to have one to fuck with, but can't justify the price nor do I have anywhere to put it.

One can dream...

Use a case like this - it has room for video card, and as long as you take one that exhausts the hot air outside - a blower style video card.
I'll attach a pic - ignore it's not Nvidia, it's what I found - but obviously if you get a video card get nvidia.

>don't get the term ARM
>memory things
>memory drive
Install Gentoo

Is it really that much less expensive though? Let's say you want a mITX build that compares to the INTEL NUC BOXNUC6I3SYH i3-6100U. A comparable desktop class CPU would be the Pentium G4500T. How much cheaper than the 300 bucks that the NUC costs can you get?

>obviously if you get a video card get nvidia
.2$ has been deposited on your pokerstars account. Good work!

I don't care about your forced meme, I'm an informed consumer and I always found ati shit - I always had problems with it.

you can buy an i3 - 6100 with 100$ and the mother board ( a good one with wi-fi and mini display port ) costs 120 $ +

so 220 $ ok, how much does the nuc costs now ( it also provides motherboard so to speak and processor )

also
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-6100-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100U/3511vsm37381

you get + 62% on everything.

Who made this wonderful artwork?

>so 220 $ ok
>A NUC is just a mainboard and a CPU

You need a case, you need a PSU, you need a CPU cooler.

how is blower better than radial?

Lol, why the fuck did they redesign the chassis

intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc6i7kyk-features-configurations.html

It's basically the size of a router, now with gaymen case.

I'm curious how does this compare with other SFFs.

Ok a case with PSU - 75 usd a beautiful one 100 usd

so a total of 320$ - intel 530 compared to 520 and 62% more tested ( gave you the website ) power compared to U version of i3.

What's the price of nuc now?
I've searched on a local shop 381 usd.

So at this point it is like - yes I have money to literally throw away and buy the NUC or you want to be an intelligent consumer, otherwise I don';t see why you started the thread.

Forgot to mention in 100$ usd for processor price cooler is included from intel.

>small enclosure
>high end cpu
>video editing

Enjoy your overheating RAM and corrupted files.

>and 62% more tested
Nah, that's a typical neckbeardy way out. Stick to actual comparable components. The question was not to build a better build for slightly more, but to build a comparable one. And if you so that you actually land at pretty much 300 USD as well, with the difference that you still have to build it yourself and end up with a less efficient computer that's bigger and uglier.

I scored an EOL Gigabyte brix recently, i use it as HTPC though. It's not bad. Quiet, unobtrusive and performs well enough for what i want.

Got the i3 model, can even play a few games if you don't mind the fan ramping up. Though if you want to use one as your main computer i'd seriously consider the skull canyon model.

and end up with a less efficient computer that's bigger and uglier.

So from a dumb consumer point of a view that's brain washed into buying based on logos yes.

And saying it will be less efficient - why? In your mind probably in reality there's a huge difference from 6100 u and standard i3 6100 - a very very huge difference regardless of how much you reject it.

I just bought a mid-low range laptop, use it as a laptop during the day then plug in the hdmi to my screen at home as well as a bluetooth MKB and it works as a more comfortable desktop.

Given what I do, I could just about use my phone to do that. Screen cast to a monitor, bluetooth to periphrals. Android wouldn't be that great as a desktop environment though.

They're totally awesome, I love mine!
My work boug, oh, wait. You're talking about mini micros...
S-sorry, I guess I'll go now...

>And saying it will be less efficient - why?
The 6100U is like 15 W TDP, whereas the 6100 is 51 W. I assume that the NUC will draw significantly less power than the custom one. Especially if you choose to let it run in the background 24/7 that may matter. At least to me it does as energy is expensive around here.

By choosing something more powerful you are just avoiding direct comparison. Try to find a build that matches the performance of the NUC for less.

Fuck off, fag.

Why Gentoo?

I use a 27 inch 1080p monitor with it but it supports a resolution for 4k too, the problem with the onboard graphics for it is that it's at 24Hz in 4k, so it's not gonna be good for gaming if you do that.

If you're not using it for gaming that's fine at 4k.

Or you can just use it with 1080p at very nice settings. It also supports 3840x2160 at 60 Hz if you want a larger resolution than 1080p.

The sound won't be a problem, I only mentioned the USB sound card for Mac OS X because I couldn't get it to work correctly in the beginning, I've got it working now.
Everything works fine in Windows, you just need to install the drivers as usual.

>get decent used chinkpad.
>download more ram, install an ssd, new battery.
>hide under desk, attach charger and remove battery.
>hook up to monitor and kb\m.
>you now have a very capable portable laptop and a good all around PC.

I bought a Gigabyte Brix as a file server. It's pretty neat senpai.

I have bought my mum €400 Zotac Nano. And it's ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!

GNU+linux works perfectly on it. It has replaced huge metal cage under the desk and it is 10x more powerfull! Totally silent.

I've been thinking of getting one of these.

But I always have the dilemma of the laptop..

Both serve the purpose of having minimal impact on space, but one is mobile, the other one isnt.

I use a NUC as my main PC. No regrets. Would buy again.

If it weren't so power hungry, that would really good to make a hiend wearable out of.

People going out of their way to buy mini sized shit have some mental deficiency

The stock coolers usually do not fit into mITX cases. You definitely need to buy a separate one.

>I know that screams "buy an iMac",
lmao

Only acceptable desktop PC format besides AIO.

People still living with huge computing boxes like it's 1970s again have a mental deficiency, they just can't adapt to new ways. They cling to the past as if that was the golden age of computing. If given the choice, they would go back to punched cards and floppy disks. Autism is a serious illness.

Eh, those are both using blower fans - the bottom one is just exhausting from both ends instead of one.

You probably meant to contrast blowers with axial fan ("open") coolers, which dump heat everywhere.

My fucking niggah.

I bought pic related two years ago. I leave it running and hooked to the living room TV for plex and jewtube.

It's only a dual core celeron 1.5ghz, 4gb ram and an old as fuck OCZ ssd but it works fine and handles all browsing/video watching flawlessly.

Thing cost me £80, plus a bit of ram and the SSD was a spare.

Always said to myself that I'll get a similar one if I ever need another shitposting box.

The zotac boxes are shit value though compared to asus, shuttle, gigabyte and even intel.

Depends on your uses senpai

CIA nigger is you monkey criminal scum. I am a superior race person.

Although my PC is more expensive, it has an Intel i5 my greatest ally, SSD meme, and an 4GB meme, if I remember correctly. Get the 'nano' one for shitposting, it can be monted on the back of a display (backed comes with it).

Compared to fucking what m8? £200 gets you a shitty Asus chrome memebox with a dual core 1.4ghz and less ports.

Shit is your feces, Zotac is quite good.

These look like tv receiver boxes lel

>10x more powerfull
shit nigga, what kind of pentium 2 did you have there?

>Intel nuc with slightly faster processor
>Less ports
>no ram
>£30 more than the zotac box

Yeah it has sata3 vs my sata2 but for a simple streaming box there's not many that come close to this in terms of price and performance.

But that's wrong user.

No, it was a Core 2 Duo with about le 2 gigs of RAM and a HDD meme. Running nonfree M$ winblows semen. I told my mum and her son that I will not give any help with M$ products anymore. I want to live a life of moral purity. And I have liberated all computers that are under my control. Nigger is you CIA scum.

>muh non-free meme
>muh morals
>buys Jewtel Memecores

You type like a socially retarded memester. Do you get angry when mom just doesn't get your dank memes?

It does annoy me when normalfag plebians cannot comprehend my liberation. I must be a merciful shepherd for those deluded plebs. Living life of moral purity is the only way to have free society. We must give them good example.

What are those rf connector for?

wifi

wire over fibre?

ANTENNAE YOU DUMB FUCK HOW HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN THIS RETARD

yes I understand fibre antenna

thank you very much my friend

Coaxial you stupid fuck

I like it. Small, quiet / silent, plus if you're not into gaymen you will probably not feel underpowered in this day and age.

Can you use it to edit in 4k or 1080p with final cut pro?

Sure, why not? Might take a bit longer on some computationally-intensive tasks though.

You're talking to somebody who used Avid extensively in the 1990s kid, and then saw the rise of Premiere and Final Cut Pro and everything that happened over the last 25 years, in person. I was using Video Toaster while you were still an unfertilized egg.

Nothing personal kid.

Why the fuck is everyone on Sup Forums some pro video editor?

What do you mean by "a bit longer"? How long do you think rendering a 5 minute video in 1080p or 4k take? Does final cut pro x come pre installed or do I have to buy it?

>How long do you think rendering a 5 minute video in 1080p or 4k take?

Oh barack hussein obama you butt fucker, I don't know. Who cares.

The exact same amount of time it'd take on a full tower sized computer with the same amount / type of CPU cores, RAM, etc.

apparently the new macbook can render a four minute video in about 6 mintues, at 4k.

youtube.com/watch?v=KnapaZYD2cU

I'm sure your epic rig will render it faster so that your 100 subscribers can view your new upload faster. :^)

Use the Fractal Define R4 case in black or white. That case is minimalist af.
Also, you just have to deal with cords. You have to deal with that shit with a tiny computer as well. Your best bet is to use a desk with a false back to shove your cables into.

They aren't, they just like to try to pretend that they are transcoding, bitcoin mining, playing whatever the new Crysis is at 4k, rendering 4k video, running 64 VST instruments, and using SimuLink all at the same time so they can justify needing the most expensive, newest, or fastest possible home computer setups.

Just buy a fucking iMac already.

Did you forget to take your medication today?

>

I don't have medication, psychology's a fake science.

Buy a Mac Mini and quit fucking around OP.

Okay then, seriously now.
I have and love a couple of EEE Box's, they're such cute little things and handle linux like a dream.
I have one as a linux box, and another with Win7 on it if I ever need it.
Might throw linux on the other one too, I just put windows on an old desktop, so fun.

this

How would you compare this to the newest 970 zotac? What OS do you run?

>Gigabyte
>intel
>asus

Literally every review I've seen of the Zotac has said that they are shitting on other mini-pc's.

I took one of these from work. i7. GB of RAM. Tons of ports. Works very well.

I called your Boss. Guess what OP
Yer fired

I will say right now. Apple makes gorgeous computers, have superb power management, but sadly are fucking twats in terms of DIY repairs, still, I'd prefer Final Cut Pro any day over Sony Vegas, just due to familiarity.

BRB making El Capitan VM on Acer v Nitro.