EGPU Thread

Share your eGPU experiences.
I'm about to buy an adapter for my T420 but before throwing my money at chinks i would like to know if it's worth it.

I bought the generation before that one for 50$. I ordered the expresscard one and got the pci express instead. Would recommend if you know for sure your laptop works for it as I tried it on two different ones and only one worked.

i'm sure my laptop model is compatible, someone on the product review even said it's literally plug and play if you configure preinstall the gpu drivers.
How was your experience once you made it work?

Thought about buying a egpu but i decided to back out when I realized that you needed a separate external monitor.

Its was okay. Not 50$ ok but it did the job. Of course my laptop was a huge bottleneck for my scrapped gt 740 graphics card. I had quite a huge problem where whenever i plugged in something to my pc, the graphics card drivers crash. What do you plan to do with it ?

I'd really like to get one for my X220. Bumping for interest.

Can't nvidia's drivers allow you to use the built in display?

just play some casual games that don't run too well or don't run at all on the intel HD3000, i don't need a desktop pc because i already have one but it's in my office and at home i only have my laptop.
new nvidia drivers uses mirroring to display images on the internal monitor

Its well worth it if you get a graphics card that does not require more power. I hate needing to also have another power supply on my desk just to turn it on.

was thinking about a 750ti, can you confirm that plugging a pci express standalone powered card i won't need an ATX psu but just a 12V DC adapter to make it work?

As anyone modded a fat x360 power brick for power supply?

I have the EXP GDC Beast.
Totally worth it.
Yes, its called Optimus.

I never tested the 12 V dc. I just used an old PSU I had laying around.

glad to see it works with linux too

Works better with Linux, I can hot plug it.

>screen mirroring

input lag must be brutal though, eh

Only if you use bumblebee and virtualgl (garbage imo).

Bumblebee is a virus.

>>Imdependent

Its not screen mirroring, its image passthrough. Gpu sends frame buffer back to intel gpu over pci-e, intel incorporates it into frame buffer to internal display, whether its fullscreen or window mode. Latency will come from how congested the pci-e bus is and the intel gpu. From my experience I don't even notice any lag but I am using pci-e 3.0x4 link.

Are there any thunderbolt 3 ones for cheap yet
Cause fuck paying 400 for a thunderbolt 3 to pcie adaptor

Was Optimus support built into your laptop?

Your t530 has the NVS 5400M and thus optimus? Or are you using an external monitor?

>chink power design

No, thanks. I learned the hard way when I bought a PCI bridge that overdrew current from the PCI-E slot and damaged the motherboard.

>Not using the PCI-e thinkpad dock

I used that shit on Intel/AMD ages ago, if you set the AMD card to main display it will show out from the iGPU connection. I think it works with any card. At least as far I can remember. Stop selling Nvidia faggots.

What eGPU enclosure should I get for an X220?

Can I play games with a pcie 3.0 1x interface?

Want to scrap my desktop and replace it with a laptop + egpu.

Something like a gtx 1060 should be plenty, even with a 15-20% performance hit.

If you don't have a laptop yet, wait for TB3 egpus to be more established with multiple vendor support.

These 1x interface egpu setups are for old laptops, mostly running at most pcie 2.0 and the wifi minipcie slot or expresscard.

Yes, 1x PCI-E 3.0 is same as 4x on PCI-E 2.0.
It will bottleneck about 98%, but you won't even notice that.

Yeah I noticed none of them go higher than pcie 2.0? Wtf.

It's pcie 2.0 unfortunately.