He fell for the lets pay premium for WD because Seagate is unreliable meme

>he fell for the lets pay premium for WD because Seagate is unreliable meme

WD cucks literally on suicide watch.

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2015/10/19/mofcom_says_yes_wd_hgst_merger/
tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>he fell for the backblaze meme
Let's see their data on only WD Blues and Blac- oh there is none. It's just their Greens and Reds. Seagates mainstream drives performed worse than WD's worst drives for 2 years. There's a reason they got their reputation.

HGST still a best, even after WD bought them.

If I'm reading this chart correctly it seems to imply that WD had lower failure rates than seagate until 2016.

I haven't bought a new harddrive in years so buying WD according to this chart was the better choice between those two.

Only the 1.5 and 3 TB drives caused the problems in the past. Al the other were always fine.

What about the differently branded products? Barracuda/WD Black/NAS drives/etc.

This is all very general and one shitty drive tier from one brand maybe more shitty than the shit drive tier of another brand. The differential volumes and percentages of these shit tier drives are also relevant. Tons of things to consider. This image is useless.

>tfw my barracuda died in 6 months

HGST master race now, wew lads.

You guys realize WD bought out HGST right?

Graphs are fun.

They operate with a good deal of independence. They just help WD build shit.

>HGST still a best, even after WD bought them.

For fucks sake, part of the acquisition deal was HGST WOULD STILL OPERATE AS AN INDEPENDENT COMPANY BUT UNDER WD OWNERSHIP

theregister.co.uk/2015/10/19/mofcom_says_yes_wd_hgst_merger/

MOFCOM, the Chinese trade regulator which has been holding up the integration of WD and HGST, is relaxing its "hold separate" restriction and integration can start now. But the two brands and sales forces must stay separate for two more years.

Western Digital can "integrate substantial portions of its HGST and WD subsidiaries" while continuing "to offer both HGST and WD product brands in the market and maintain separate sales teams for two years from the date of the decision."

This will enable Western Dig' to start combining operations, sharing technology, such as helium-filled drives, and saving substantial costs, with $400m in annual operating expense savings mentioned.

In addition:
Steve Milligan continues as CEO. Mike Cordano, previously president of the HGST subsidiary, becomes president and COO of Western Digital and "will head a business leadership team with balanced representation of proven leaders from the company’s two former subsidiaries."

Jim Murphy, who was president of the WD subsidiary, will run the Storage Devices business unit, which includes both HDD and SSD products.

A person who was close to the corporate action in Western Digital and HGST said: "All key positions are with HGST people; it's a reverse buyout. First HGST took Coyne's money to buy themselves (probably with a clause that Milligan is becoming CEO) and then they watched WD dismantling itself."

tl;dr: WD bought HGST; HGST execs now run WD

My previous laptop was a WD. Its HDD endured crashes, bumps, heavy transportation, some really intensive I/O stuff, all that.

My current laptop was a Seagate. Started failing after 6 months of light usage.

this graph is useless to form a conclusion from.

You realize that doesn't mean shit right?

But it's much easier to bait retards in to replying with a bar chart rather than this

HGST propaganda

i bought a used seagate. broken sectors, everywhere!
i had a WD now haven't had any problems

>mfw I have a WD blue in my computer
I should probably switch that out soon

Time to buy a HGST now.

>comparing desktop drives to NAS
Can I for ONCE see a pic on this site that isn't complete SHIT?

I miss when the Hitachi Deathstar was a thing. Literally the most reliable drives on the market now.

>I fell for the HGST meme
>fucking love it

>tfw 3 1tb seagates in raid 0

#YOLO

Backblaze's 2014 and 2015 method of testing is unreliable. They brought any random drive regardless if it's new, refurbished or used.

tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

I won't comment on their 2016 test because they did do some improvements, but I won't trust their 2014 and 2015 tests.

>what is bathtub curve
>what is margin of error
>what is backblaze's incosistent methods of obtaining and using the drives

HGST is fucking based, why do people even buy anything else?

Op graph is updated for 2016

That was an IBM thing well before Hitachi.

I have yet to have a Seagate drive fail. Every one of my WD drives have died within 1 to 2 years.

I have yet to have a WD drive fail. Every one of my Seagate drives have died within 1 to 2 years.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean shit.

>new toshiba drive arrives
>makes sounds consistent with a dying seagate drive
>also one sound like a drill at the dentist briefly it hasn't repeated
>probably damaged in transit
>gotta fuck around with returns now

Critical thinking is not so common these days. I want to thank you gentlemen for being objective.

what a shitty graph

the sample sizes are nowhere near equal and don't mention usage or time elapsed

I still always go for WD, not one has died on me. I have a HGST that is making grinding noises and shit, wish I could save it.

>WD
>premium
Premium is HGST
WD is $5 extra for the same shit 1 year later

Have this one, then

Complete and utter shit user