LGA 2011

Is the LGA 2011 platform a meme?
Why was it dropped?

Are there any redeeming points besides quad channel memory support?

>6 cores
I was thinking of getting a 4930K or something, I don't need to buy DDR4 and can just add another 16 GB
Also those retards sell of these things really cheap

Selling what really cheap?
The boards or the processors?

Processors, but old boards aren't that expensive anymore
Outdated platform
Except for the Intel Extreme Editions

Oh, I've been curious about them as a replacement to my Pentium D for some time now.
I don't know whether an LGA 1366 would be a better choice for me, though.

How much should a decent board and chip cost?
Are the Xeons more economical over the i7s yet?

I'm looking real hard at building a dual CPU machine with e5-2670s in it right now, so I would say there is definitely some redeeming value.

>Pentium D
For what do you need them?

The best upgrade for you would be a 2600K on a Z77 platform. OC it and enjoy Skylake performance.

For a used 4930K build I estimate 300-400 € for the board and processor, maybe less if you got a good deal. There are enthusiasts upgrading all the time and selling their old shit cheap.

These CPUs will only add performance on 1080p gaming, their main use is rendering. For everything else you don't need them. I rip Blurays, I could need some extra performance over my 3770K, but don't want to spend too much for it.

I just built one.
u got any questions for me?

I've had an inkling to play Fallout New Vegas and I got a decent graphics card for the first time in my life.

$150+ for just the CPU is a bit much for me.

I just wanted to build a DDR3 system that will last me several years.

>2x intel xeon e5 2670
>intel s2600cp2
>128gb of ram (16 x 8gb registered ddr3)
>2 x corsair h55 watercoolers
> thermaltake x9
>radeon r290
>acera 1880xi (4x60gb ssds in raid0, 2x480gb ssd in raid0).

>is X a meme
just fucking kill yourself

NV should play fine on a Pentium D, I played it on my P4 Extreme back in 2010-2011

Why do you want a CPU like this? New Vegas isn't new anymore and will run on any i3 or newer Pentium.

Get that 2600K or 2500K, future proof through OC, cheap as fuck, Z77 also has SATA3 and USB3.

I'm also tired of Windows XP and the slow bus speed.

I figured it would be an excellent option for RAM options without being confined to a server board.

I don't really want to deal will over clocking.

I'll probably just get a LGA 1366 system.
What's special about USB3 when 2011 and 1366 supports it?

*RAM configurations

Sometimes I sound rhetorical when I don;t read what I wrote.

tfw overclocked 2600K + z77 master race

Seriously user, you can get some really nice z77 boards on ebay for cheap, a 2600K shouldn't be hard to find either

I have an asus p8z77i-deluxe, but I'd assume the mATX/ATX versions are just as good if not better

Even if you don't want to 'deal with overclocking', it's incredibly easy to do, and your average 2600K will hit 4.5GHz with everything on auto. You're literally just setting the cpu control to manual, turning up the multiplier to 45, and the motherboard will do the rest.

I'll have to look into it further.

The cheapest 2600K on ebay is $150, though.
How much would you say a good price on a board is?

4.5GHz?

A 2600K overclocked to 4.5GHz is as pretty much as fast as a stock 6700K.

$150 is pretty cheap, considering an i7-6700K is $330
You can probably get a decent z77 board for around $100, maybe cheaper if you're lucky

Where was I when CPUs got this fast?
Also, how much should 4GB and 8GB sticks of DDR3 cost?
Thanks for the suggestions.

Bois, give me an example setup based on LGA 2011 for home server use. Would like atleast 16 threads, so that's either a single cpu socket motherboard with a really high end processor, or a dual socket mobo with two 6-cores w/ hyperthreading or such.
No need for GPU.
About 64GB of ram minimum.

Do these intel server boards i've seen people mention fit to a normal ATX case? And can be powered with a normal ATX PSU?

I dunno, they got this fast in 2011 with sandy bridge, and they've barely gotten faster since. Frequency in the high-end chips has gone up maybe 300MHz, and the actual instructions-per-cycle has gone up about 15-20% since then.

And uh, what the fuck, when did DDR3 get so cheap? According to pcpartpicker, you can get 16GB(2x8) kits for $40-$60, and that's DDR3-1600.

Nice.

I just remember it was like a few years ago and anything over 4GHz was extremely fast.

E5-2670s sell for under 70 dollaridoos on eBay.
The only problem is finding a well priced 2-socket 2011 motherboard, the only thing keeping me from building a system with those fine sandy bridge procs.

>Why was it dropped?
It wasn't...

>Is the LGA 2011 platform a meme?
No.

>Are there any redeeming points besides quad channel memory support?
- More PCI-e lanes
- Soldered IHS
- Cheap Xeons 2-3 years later

DDR4 became the big ticket seller so pople are quitting DDR3 cheap.

IF you need it, buy it now, it won't be cheap forever...

Also, thinking about a 2667 V2, but don't want to drop my nice single thread performance...
If only the 1680v2 was cheaper.

>Is the LGA 2011 platform a meme?
fuck off, this bullshit is part of whats dragging Sup Forums down
>Why was it dropped?
2011-v3

>Are there any redeeming points besides quad channel memory support?
xeons and a fuckton of RAM

the 2670 is pretty legit, owned one myself. got the overclockable 1650 now though

>IF you need it, buy it now, it won't be cheap forever...

Why?

The DDR supply never dried up years beyond it's usefulness.

Not him but DDR2 got really expensive after DD3 got cheap, I can't see why the same thing wont happen now.

I never knew DDR2 was cheap.

It will happen, but not now. DDR4 is currently shit except for those 3000+ MHz sticks, DDR3-2133-2666 has the same speed but better latencies than DDR4.

I ran 1600 before, but changed to get 2x8 GB sticks. You can get new 4 GB sticks for 25 € nowadays.

>just fucking kill yourself
>fuck off, this bullshit is part of whats dragging Sup Forums down

Whoops, I'm sorry that you two think the quality of a thread is wholly dependent on its use of the native vernacular. Maybe you could have spent the time you took to compose and type these innovative thoughts improving the board you so love.

Thank you for your pointless "contributions."

the way you phrase a thing can and does affect the quality of the discussion. im tired of seeing "is X a meme?" or "X is just a meme" bullshit on Sup Forums, take shitpost threads over to Sup Forums if thats what you want.

How did it affect the direction of this discussion?

>tfw fell for the 16GB RAM meme (accompanied by some variation of Wojak killing himself)

Do you complain in those threads as well?

no, i generally just avoid them, hell, i generally avoid Sup Forums altogether nowadays. call me crazy, but i actually like to discuss tech on my tech boards.

I was looking at changing my cpu but im sticking, My i5 4460 will do me for now. Funny thing is when I was looking I noticed I paid way less than what they are selling for now.
Happy days

Aren't we discussing the advantages and alternative solutions for the LGA 2011 system in this thread?

How much did you pay for it?

yes, but its still a poor quality thread

Point out some higher ones for me.

DDR2 got expensive 2 years after DDE3, it was cheapest around 1.4years when every store started to clear their storage of now obsolete technology.

DDR3 now is still a standard and buying it now is as good as buying it 2 years ago.

I'm thinking about building a new computer based on skylake/z170

I was going to go 5820k/x99 but now skylake is down to $340 for the 6700k and the 5820k is still hovering close to $380

Plus x99 mobos are still expensive unless you get cheap crap

X79 is a meme platform

>No USB 3.0 support

I gambled on a 5820k last August for about $370 and I'm still unsure if it was the right move since my mobo has been a headache. Had to RMA once and the refurb still has some boot-up quirks. Can't complain about the CPU though.

Good for moar coars and more PCI-E lanes vs the consumer sockets, but not really much beyond that.

Xeons are fun though.

Wrong

fuck me e5-2670s are cheap

but where do i find decent motherboards to house them?

everything i see is new, expensive and probably won't fit in the case i'm thinking of using