R9 390 vs GTX 970

Which one is objectively the better video card? No bullshit, no mentioning the 1070 or 1080 as an excuse, I want to know which card between these specific two cards is better right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

pccasegear.com/products/33705/sapphire-radeon-r9-390-nitro-tri-x-with-backplate-8gb
pcpartpicker.com/p/J7L8FT
pccasegear.com/products/33841/asus-radeon-r9-390-strix-directcu-iii-oc-8gb
au.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr929oc4gd
au.pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr9390x8gbd5ppdhe
youtube.com/watch?v=xg-RLXUWMqo
youtube.com/watch?v=oTZgaXGlenU
kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-390-nitro-8gb-rev-2-w-backplate/
youtube.com/watch?v=x_5EbUL3BmY
techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider/4.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes

the 970 might be an alright idea right now, but driver updates will definitely 'fix' that when the new cards come out

The 970 was never better than the 390. So its never a good idea.

How does this thread come up so often on this board?

I liked the older 290 cooler better actually, just has more detail.

Pretty sexy. Just needs better airflow

390 its better now and it will still get better over time (DX12 actually works on this baby, waay more headroom in RAM department)

Only reason for you to choose 970 is if u plan to be linux gamer (there are improvements on that field, but old shit still runs bad on linux) or using some strange Nvidia only applications.

Anyways, bet to wait till june to get AMD 480. Currently it seems that it will be having more or less the same preformance as 390, but costs under 300$.

Shoulda gotten a 390 instead user

the 970 has its issues that have largely been fixed through drivers, will they remain fixed? fuck knows.

the 970 can oc a fair bit, while the 390 is pushing it and you wont get much in terms of gains,

stock to stock, 390 wins hands down
oc to oc, 970 wins more then it loses

vulcan and dx12 should be better on the 390, so it is a bit more future proof.

AMD is fucking garbage. Everything they make is absolutely, objectively crappy as shit and only a fat neckbeard would buy this shit-tier crappy shit because he's afraid of running out of autismbux (because God forbid he spend less money on Taco Bell and Mountain Dew.) I tried building an AMD gaming rig once and it was the worst experience of my life. First off, that CPU clip is fucking impossible to use. It looks just like an old Pentium CPU clip, but it's autistically retarded and I couldn't deal with it. And the graphics card was so fucking huge, I had to cut a hole all the way around my case to fit it in. Fucking AMD.

But wait, that's not even the best part! When I tried to start up my shitty autismbox (which I sold to the Association of Retarded Citizens BTW) the absolutely massive power draw dimmed every light in my house and throughout the entire neighborhood like I was firing up fucking ENIAC in the 1920s or some bullshit. I had plenty of time to worry about my power bill too, because this shitty thing couldn't figure out which of its 32 CPU cores to use and it took half a day to boot. As soon as I tried to play a game (fucking Starcraft from 1998), it lagged so hard it went backwards. I thought I should try downloading a driver, but there aren't any. There are no fucking drivers. What the shit, AMD? No wonder Apple doesn't use your shit. It wasn't long after that that I realized this thing was putting out more heat than a goddamn jet engine and it burned my house down.

Two weeks later, when I sold that piece of shit, I built an Intel/Nvidia rig! Holy shit, it's like jacking into the Matrix! I built it 5 years ago and it still runs every game in 4K at 240 FPS while using no power and it actually cools my house during the summer. What a beautiful machine, I seriously hope none of you are poor and stupid enough to buy AMD.

polaris or if that isnt a option r9 390

Gtx, of course

Hmm.. Sounds like someone can't afford electricity. Time to section 8, son. Meanwhile I've been enjoying GTX1080 or better performance on my OC 8GB 290Xs for years. Selling one for $300 this next week. Gonna put the cash away for Volta which will crush the 1080 and probably beat 1080ti. Oh btw gonna give away my other card to my little brother. Sucks I gotta wait til Volta for a real performance upgrade.

He didn't ask you all that shit. All you had to say is the 390 is better and not even AMD uses their CPUs.

390 is faster than stock 970 but runs hotter and louder.

OC 970 is faster but is also more expensive.

390 is probably more future-proof due to double the ram although worth mentioning is that none of the cards can run 60+ fps at >1080 resolutions in demanding games.

In short buy whatever is cheaper.

there is no objectively better videocard, it doesnt work like that. these are two radically different architectures built for different things. AMDs design favours raw compute, nvidias favours better efficiency.

970 only have 3.5 ram

also, AMD support their cards for longer, look at how well the 7970 performs against the 680 now, and how quickly nvidia stop optimizing for their older cards. if you do go nvidia staying on the very latest gen is generally the best way to go, but with AMD youve got a bit more room to breathe in that regard.

It is fucking bait retards. Was funny as hell.

970 is alright if you don't pay too much for it
I paid $260 for mine last year

GTX 1060

They are both the same.
Whichever card you choose won't change your shitty gayming skills.
Whichever card you choose won't influence your framerate in any visible way once you are in-gayme.
Whichever toy card you get is the same shit.

Now take your gaymer shit back to

cheapest card to play WoW 1080p 60fps highest settings?

it's literally impossible to get 60 fps at MMORPGs, especially WoW

when you visit a packed city you WILL experience framedrops

Differences across the board are pretty much negligible with either card trading blows with the other.

Your preference should be based on what you value most: the 970 a much more efficient, often cooler and more silent running card because it uses much less power than the 390. But it has 3,5GB of vram (not that this is really a bottleneck on 1080p).

The 390 uses much more power, will often run hotter and louder but has 8GB of Vram.

AMD also has a better trackrecord of keeping up driver updates for older cards than Nvidia (although they suck at new drivers), meaning you'll probably get more longevity out of this card.

Oh look, a GPU thread.
How's my 780ti hold up to all these new big boys? Worth upgrading yet?
I've heard good things about this upcoming 1080?

I'm on a 780ti, still a fantastic card, but after recentely making the jump to 1440p it's lacking in new titles.

I will probably get a 1070 or a used 980ti to replace it soon.

390 has a much better value for the same price. Think 980 level performance at 970's price (or cheaper).

So yeah, if you have the choice between two, go 390. Its a better card in DX11 games and much better in DX12.

Alright Sup Forums, I just got a new GPU for my secondary PC and it won't display, or even post form what I can tell. The motherboard is the old one I used to use on my primary build, it ran my 780ti. Now that board is failing to display when running my new R9 270x. The card is confirmed working, as I've tested it in other PCs. When running of integrated graphics my secondary PC boots fine, it just doesn't display nor post when the GPU is in the PCI port. The PCI port is confirmed working as it ran my 780ti a little over a month ago.

What's the fucking issue here??
Do I have to reload the bios or something?!

Team Green here. Honestly I'm gonna say the R9 takes the cake here. I was so unimpressed with the performance of the 980 its like a bottlenecked 970sli its a meme. So judging on that and my friends who have 970's, AMD seems to make the more versitile cards. Their support sucks DICK though

I'm still running at 1080p so I haven't run into any hiccups yet, but with VR coming up I thought I may as well ask. Thanks for the input.
Also, how's 1440p? Worth giving up 144hz?

>Think 980 level performance at 970's price (or cheaper).

AMDrones spreading lies as usual, the 390x is on par with the 980 not the 390

I didn't give up 144hz so I don't know, I went from a 60hz 1080 tn panel to a 60 hz 1440p IPS panel.

Games look absolutely stunning, you have 70% extra pixels on your screen, and considering how close you sit to a computer monitor that makes a big difference in extra detail and sharpness.

It does naturaly have a big toll on your graphics card though.

DX12.0 isnt really that future proof but neither is DX12.1 which nvidia only supports atm

I see much more future in vulkan than in DX12 anyway.

It makes much more sense for developers to use that since it's cross platform

Same. shame there isnt any vulkan games YET

Doom will soon receive a vulkan patch update

Ive been waiting but thers no point

My friend has a 144hz 1440p monitor and I was watching him play Shadow of Mordor on it a while back, damn it looked a fuckton nicer than it does on mt machine. I might look into it, but I've got 3 1080p screens on my set up and I don't know if I'm ready for change just yet.

I will always buy Nvidia™ because I only play games The Way It's Meant to be Played™. Nvidia also pioneers innovative new technologies like PhysX™, Gameworks™ and the highest quality driver to ever grace Windows.

When I boot up with a brand new Nvidia™ Geforce™, I can experience the game just like it's meant to be played. Nvidia™ also delivers a far more smooth experience.

Nvidia Geforce™ is also very power efficient. A graphic card is the most power hungry device in your house. Refrigerators, AC units, water heaters, dishwashers, lights, etc all use significantly less power than a graphic card. Which is why Nvidia™ puts gamers first by ensuring that their gaming experience is of the highest quality while looking out for gamers by giving them the most value in their electrical bill

At this point in time, there's really no reasons to consider an AMD graphic card at all. I tried one one time, it caused so much heat that it exploded. It also consumed so much power that it gave on an EMP and destroyed the rest of my computer.

Nvidia™ also pioneered how useless GPGPU is with CUDA™. Years ago, everyone thought GPGPU, CUDA™, and OpenCL were the future. Now, Nvidia™ has removed those useless features from their GPUs and increased efficiency. Now you can save thousands a year in electricity thanks to Nvidia™ ensuring that useless features like GPGPU are "optimized" for gamers.

It's quite clear that OP's an AMD shill trying to convince you to settle on something less than The Way It's Meant to be Played™. Nvidia™ is the only real way to play games. We have seen recently that they offer incredible libraries for software developers like Nvidia Gameworks. He is probably too poor to afford the Nvidia Geforce Experience and can not afford to play any games The Way It's Meant To be Played™.

Don't be a poor gamer with bad drivers and a huge power bill. Play games with the Geforce™ Experience™: The Way It's Meant To Be Played™

Nice setup, you'll need some serious juice to run all that at 1440p though, I don't know if a 1080 will be enough

Thanks loser

brought a tear to my eye

Im really tempted to get a 390 again as the shit gigabyte gaming one i had overheated and was a POS

IS this good?

>b-but wait for polaris
Isnt it meant to be slightly weaker? $300usd+ is the same price as the 390's here currently anyway

pccasegear.com/products/33705/sapphire-radeon-r9-390-nitro-tri-x-with-backplate-8gb

What is the best one to SLI/CF? 970 or 390

Really buying a last generation graphics card right now is borderline retarded unless you pick one up dirt cheap 2nd hand.

The new cards are weeks away from launching and they will A: be much better options for upgrading and B: hammer down prices on older cards

Also, you already had a 390 crap out on you, why get another one

I'll probably just have my games on the single middle screen, Sup Forums on the left and a youtube video or netflix on right right. A single 1080 should be fine for 1440p on a single monitor. I don't play across all screens because they're not all the same size. The two side ones are 24' and the middle on is 28'. The one on the left is just lower because I haven't adjusted the stands correctly.

Because it was a low bin 66% asic pos

At least a decent quality one wont shit out on me

Still living with Inthell intergrated sucks balls

What exactly happened, did it break?

If its $300 and weaker than 390, then AMD has fucked up tremendously.

This will most certainly not be the case.

Ordered my first build yesterday with 390. I know new cards are about to be released but i couldnt wait because i have no pc right now.

pcpartpicker.com/p/J7L8FT

Yep crashed my whole system so bad i had to reset the motherboard by taking the cmos battery out

Works perfect now

Old 770 never had any problems
>What was the 390 LITERALLY compared to the 290

Idk mayne i have a decent PSU and if this overbuilt 390 craps out ill just send it back.

Living on integrated makes me want to kill

How about ordering everything but the card?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH THATS THE EXACT CARD I HAD I SWEAR TO GOT

it was branded gigabyte gaming but the cooler ran at like 50-70 idle and LOUD as fuck then when it went in games before it died it ran 80-90 Degrees Celsius on a 25degree

DO NOT DO IT

1080 you fuckface

Too late. But i need it anyway because i want to play overwatch at launch next week.

I also had issues with my r9 390, an MSI one.

If I was you I would try the competition but you won't listen anyway

>an MSI one.
here is your problem, sapphire or don't bother with radeons at all

Is there something wrong with the gigabyte version?
A friend had one and the cooler stopped working in a few months
There are Amazon reviews where they say it had problems and were never fixed

Huh? I literally had a 770 and it was the coolest most reliable card ever

I never owned a upmarket 290 or 390 like this pccasegear.com/products/33841/asus-radeon-r9-390-strix-directcu-iii-oc-8gb

which works out to around $360usd shipped
You will be sending that GPU back its aweful
Why is Sapphire bettre than Asus?

>linux gaymer

Anybody got any suggestions? I know you all just skipped my post but I'm in a genuine pickle here. Help would be really appreciated.

because asus slaps nvidia coolers on 390s and calls it a good job, it has worse thermals than MSI

Yep alot of problems i only had the card for 5 hours before ripping it out and rma'ing it the next day.

Just un reliable low binned 66% asic score in gpuz which is CRAP my old 770 gigabyte windforce was like 77%
Who knows Vulkan might actually give them some games.

The common denominator between his and my problem is the 390, not MSI.

I have had MSI cards in the past, in fact I have one right now a 780ti and it's fantastic

So something like this then?

Havent had a sapphire before or its been so long i dont remember.

And the heatpipes dont make full contact

au.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr929oc4gd
au.pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr9390x8gbd5ppdhe
:^)

Jesus fuck glad i asked here.

The sapphire looks amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=xg-RLXUWMqo

>Gigabyte
>Locked voltage
>Hardlocked BIOS
NOPE

oops fuck wrong card

youtube.com/watch?v=oTZgaXGlenU

wow, that's expensive also it is 390x not 390

I have 390 nitro, it silent at idle, almost inaudible on load, max temp 72C, very happy with it

Isnt the tri x above it?

If it works and its reliable ill keep it for a while.

...there is NO REASON IN HELL you'd need to overclock EITHER of these cards....you just wanna feel special and throw that out don't you? Go get a cookie I'll tell your mommy I ate it

Fuck sorry keep posting the wrong card

kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-390-nitro-8gb-rev-2-w-backplate/

This is the right one
This DESU

Unless your running water or these tri x fans and have a extremely good card that overclocks easily i wouldn't bother and i didnt with my 770 because it was reliable.

>being this much of a lying shill
YOU bought the amd card knowing FULL WELL its dimensions if your lights dimmed then the electric lines in your house are fucked and how can we help it if you're too autistic to use the cpu clip that comes with incredibly simple and clear directions?

it also 200 more expensive for 7% performance

Sorry posted the wrong card
this is the one i meant

oh, this is the one I have, it's pretty good
i'd say even better build quality wise than asus 770(asus is good for nvidia) I had

Oh sweet.

Fuck cant polaris just come out so i can see if its shit then go order a decent 390 :(

June 1st, decide from there, I wouldn't buy anything now - no matter the need

God damnnit thats 2 weeks away

WHY GOD

FUCK

>not buying a windforce gtx970 and overclocking to 1500mhz
Fucking plebs, keep buying into m-m-muh mamories = FPS!!!

Sapphire is toprated for AMD cards.
A lot of my Sapphire cards lasted me years before I had to retire them due to old age.

GTX 1070

>implying 4gb was enough in 2013
Its not enough now in current year when games come with extremely large textures that need at least 8gb to run smoothly
Sweet thanks ill keep that in mind

Ill just go buy a shit card used cheap as long as its faster than my 770 and 290

How can you morons recommend the 970? It is built by a corporation that makes its money off of lying to its brainwashed fanboy base. Literally EVERYTHING they do is closed-source, lies, misdirection, anything to shut down the competition and shank its own users.

NVIDIA would give its right arm to take over the entire market and all you gullible morons will just blindly walk into their slaughter house.

This is exactly the reason why we should not have a capitalist free market. Because morons like all of you will practically hand over the world to corporations like NVIDIA just to get your basement-dwelling hands on the next GPU.

OP, the answer is the 390. Do not buy anything NVIDIA. Heck, even a 290X not rivals a 970. You know why? Because AMD doesn't gimp their older cards, they actually get better.

390 because of the ram

Do you have more than one pcie16x port you can try? Try pulling the cmos to reset the bios and then install the card. You can also check the bios setting for primary display settings, leave it at automatic.

>NVIDIA would give its right arm to take over the entire market and all you gullible morons will just blindly walk into their slaughter house.
And they did.

Remember Fermi?

AMD did a similar thing with the 390 but at least they added ram and a bunch of other things

Tell that to my SLI 970s that run everything maxed.

If you have a 4k or 1440p monitor then you're an idiot for not buying a 980ti.

Also, what do you have to say about the Fury X?

Pretty good setup. Your PSU is probably going to last forever, since hardwares tend to be more energy efficient by the year

Nice copypasta. I will use this in the future for the laffs.

Oh i dont know games that require 8GB of vram

Like idk THIS

youtube.com/watch?v=x_5EbUL3BmY

Have fun with your $700 3.5gb meme

>call of duty
>call of fucking duty
you faggots are wasting thousands of dollars on gaming rigs to play this trash

Here you go faggot

techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider/4.html

If I had to pick I would choose the 390

Much better dx12 performance, pretty much same dx11 performance, over twice the vram, cheaper than the 970 where I live

Plus 390 will keep getting driver support while 970s driver support will stop in the next month or two

970 is cheaper here its just a pos gutted 980

Fact: any game worth playing can be played on an entry level card. You're all wasting your money on this shit.

>Entry level card
Which is?

I love dumb blanket posts like this

All the entry level shit is 5 year old tech that can barely get 60fps on medium-low 1080p