Best Linux distro

I don't want to use Ubuntu anymore and I only use Windows when I have to. What is the best Linux distro to use that is spyware and adware free? Take into account I'm a linux noob and only been playing with it for about a year. Thanks Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

unit193.net/xubuntu/core/
rbt.asia/g/thread/S54375381#p54376573
rbt.asia/boards/g/img/0546/50/1463776430297.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ubuntu MATE is the best distro right now

Gentoo

I run Arch on my laptop and desktop. Ubuntu on server. I keep a windows VM in my desktop though

Keep playing with either ubuntu or mint until you're not a noob anymore, then switch to debian.

I've articles from links on Sup Forums that Ubuntu has adware and possibly spyware. Is Ubuntu MATE safe?

Ubuntu by default I think has some kind of amazon telemetry enabled, but it can be turned off.
If you still don't feel comfortable using it then just use mint mate or cinnamon.

Mint desktop looks shit like win 95.

Just use cinnamon and it literally looks the same as windows.

What are some cool themes you'd recommend for mint or ubuntu mate?

Only Unity has this "feature" (amazon and online searches), all the other variants are safe

Mint is crap, their retarded update policies will eventually make your system unusable, seen it happen on every mint install I made for normies

What's wrong with mint update policy?
I've been running it on an old laptop for about a year now and although I barely use it (haven't had much time to learn linux so I can switch to a better distro) mint seems to function fine whenever I do use it.

ubuntu is bloated

What is stopping ubuntu cuckolds to adopt cinnamon desktop in their official repo?

Would you recommend Ubuntu mate? It seems to have some cool themes you can use.

No one is going to recommend a linux distro because of the default themes. If you're really that autistic about aesthetics then get a separate de and rice everything to your heart's content.

Cinnamon is awful. Even xfce is better.

arch.

it's easy as fuck to install and it's always up to date so it's litterally the last distro you will have to install.

boot live usb or cd
fdisk -l
cfdisk /dev/sda
create 1GB BOOT PRIMARY
create 1GB SWAP PRIMARY
format remaing partition primary
fdisk -l (List your partition so you know what is what)
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1 (boot)
mkswap /dev/sda2 (swap)
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda3 (/)
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
mkdir /mnt/boot /mnt/var /mnt/home
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
pacstrap /mnt base base-devel
pacman -Syu
pacstrap /mnt grub-bios
genfstab -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
arch-chroot /mnt
bash
hwclock --systohc --utc
mkinitcpio -p linux
passwd root
useradd -m -g users -G wheel -s /bin/bash username
passwd username
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
exit exit reboot
hostnamectl set-hostname hostnamegoeshere
systemctl enable dhcpcd
systemctl start dhcpcd
nano /etc/sudoers (Add this: "username ALL=(ALL) ALL")
pacman -S xorg
pacman -S xterm xorg-xclock xorg-twm xorg-xinit xorg-server-utils
pacman -S xfce4 xfce4-goodies
nano /etc/locale.gen (select locals)
locale-gen
reboot
nano /etc/fstab (Add this: "/dev/sda2 none swap defaults 0 0")
[\code]

xfce looks like shit

it's actually the best imho but use whatever DE you want it doesn't matter really they only differ slightly in features.

kde is more bloated but easier to theme.

It ignores kernel upgrades, and since 90% of mint packages come from ubuntu eventually they'll start looking for the kernel they where compiled for. And if its not the latest they might start breaking. This doesnt always happen, but it can. Some ppl are running ubuntu 12.04 still without issues, while the mint version based on that release would be shit today

Yes. Gnome 2 was perfect, and MATE is doing a good job keeping the good alive

>mkinitcpio -p linux
That's not necessary unless you changed mkinitcpio.conf in any way

Well I haven't tried all of them, but I use Arch for my laptop and desktop. And Ubuntu on a server and I'm still a noob on Linux. So its not that hard.

Can you articulate why you don't like Ubuntu? As a GNU/Linux user of 13 years, Ubuntu and Debian are my preferred bistros.

So you think it would be better if I moved from mint to ubuntu?
Are there any other ubuntu forks that are better?
Keep in mind I've been using it for a while but only very light use so I still don't know enough to move to a more advanced distro.

It's his preference, like you prefer ubuntu and debian

It's off by default in the current release. So now it's just an Amazon shortcut button in the quicklaunch you can instantly remove forever.

But I can articulate why I use those as tools for doing things other than installing and configuring operating systems.

What makes ubuntu better than any of the other ubuntu forks?

What does ubuntu/debian offers that no other distros don't?

MIght not be but that's the tutorial i followed to get it installed and it's working fine for me so it must not hurt anything.

Gentoo

OP here. The reason I want to change from Ubuntu is because I read it has adware installed, its bloated and I want to try something different. Not every linux distro serves a different purpose a lot of it is about the user interface and layout.

try out opensuse leap
is reliable as tits
and as user friendly too

debian with xfce image from their repo, contains absolute basics (libreoffice, gimp, bunch of useful system tools)

or you can get net inst (200mb) and get it as bare minimum as you want

I heard setting up debian was difficult though.
Is it easy for a linux beginner?

Linux Mint. Make a Live DVD or USB and try that shit out

this
linux mint is great for beginners
and for users that don't care for security

>don't care for security
Can this meme die already?
It was a wordpress vulnerability, not a problem with the mint ISO's

This

once bitten, twice shy
fuck mint and fuck its userbase of fools

>archfags getting this butthurt about the objectively superior Linux Mint.

I've actually been wondering about switching from Mint to Ubuntu myself, though I may try an Ubuntu variant.

How's Xubuntu, is that any good?

how hard is it realistically to switch to linux if you have only ever uses windows?

the only "spyware" was Ubuntu Unity's amazon integration in its basic search function (which returns both system and web results like Spotlight or Cortana) which would ofcourse give feedback to Amazon on how to tailor their search results for future users (the same way most search engines operate). Its disabled by default as of 16.04, but the real issue stems from what drove Ubuntu to ever pull such a move in the first place, given the bulk of the linux community has an intense distaste for proprietary spyware (in that it phoned home your search results to amazon) and adware (in that it would display amazon results for products you searched). They've been accused of catering too hard to normies who don't care about muh botnet and it was a nail in the coffin for most users, representing another major step towards the commercialization of Ubuntu. Other "flavors" (Desktop Environments) of Ubuntu don't have the feature whatsoever, but again in a few years Ubuntu will try to pull something similar to expand the normie demographic and thus should be avoided altogether. The only REAL problem with installing random linux distributions has been drivers. the more obsure the distro, the less likely it is to support proprietary driver software about have freeware equivalents. I'd recommend Antergos (with the default GNOME environment) and to start examining the arch wiki and arch forums as soon as possible. the sooner you learn and transition with Arch Linux (which I think is the best distro possible because of the wiki, the insane customization and the AUR) the better. Its very difficult to install without familiarity with your own computers drivers, the way your root directory works, and the various tools you'll use to install the OS (you'll need a good familiarity with the linux command line as well) but thats what youtube tutorials and the insanely in-depth wiki are for. Just run with antergos or manjaro for now and pick the DE of your choice (look those up too)

Not hard at all if you don't need any commercial software. You don't use Linux, but software that runs on it.

to something like Ubuntu there is absolutely no difficulty whatsoever
the issues you'll have is that there may not be linux equivalents to niche windows software you use on a daily basis. if you use your computer only for rec and you aren't die-hard gamer it wont be a problem. Linux supports pretty much all browsers, VLC, dropbox, most torrent clients, and most email clients. Just check out the installgentoo wiki and the "recommended software" for GNU/Linux. Make sure most of the stuff there covers your bases.

Linux Mint

This thread is surprisingly civil, and there are some actual quality replies here. I am proud of you, Sup Forumsentlemen.

> xubuntu core, xubuntu without pre-installed applications:
- unit193.net/xubuntu/core/

So upgrade the kernel?

Xubuntu

Antergos. whatever you like.

Is the installation for antergos easy?

I would recomend you go with LXQt if you want to use Qt5 programs in addition to the popular gtk ones.

i want you to take a moment to realise how idiotic your comment is

Fuck you

It's actually the best.
rbt.asia/g/thread/S54375381#p54376573

This

Have been using ubuntu at work on students' computers (small college) for last 3 years and thinking of switching their pcs to Manjaro 15.12 which will update to 16 soon because the pcs are too weak for ubuntu, tell me why I this is a good or bad idea.

it's a bad idea

>because the pcs are too weak for ubuntu
Do you live in 1995?

Try Fedora. If GNOME isn't for you there are several spins with different DEs.

Mint has a separate panel for kernel updates on the update applet's gui. (Accessed from "view" in the menu).
With columns and tabs to list security fixes or bug regressions.

czecked

gif saved for future Sup Forums posting

so this is a good thing right?

>replace commercially supported software solution with a hobby os managed by one guy with an edgy inexperinced user base instead of using a saner de like xubuntu
i dont see what could go wrong

Debian or Ubuntu are both fine.

I don't half of these meme spinoff distros like Mint.

Doesn't help that meme spinoffs like Mint had that whole website debacle recently.

If all your hardware works, and there's no security issue, why update you're kernel?
Most distros just include kernel updates with the rest of the updates, and there's usually no issues when upgrading. Just an overabundance of caution with mint, imo.

Numix is pretty good

Just install XFCE if they're struggling with Unity.

>tell me why I this is a good or bad idea.
Okay.
This is a bad idea because Fedora exists. There ya go, done.

I use debian with xfce. I don't like Ubuntus garbage that comes with it. It takes a few hours to setup more than Ubuntu but it's worth it imo. Don't use arch it's generally a waste of time.

The user interface is really shitty. I've heard that Mint's the bomb tho

Debian and fedora are nice. I like debian sid best.

per say i grab manjaro xfce which is already on my desktop

how easy/simple is it/would it be to install i3 and rice it? and also debloat manjaro however much possible i can

>per say
No.

>per say

>laughingterrorists.jpg
This image entertained me a lot more than it should have desu.

Open suse

Linux Mint with Cinnamon is the best right now, especially for newbies.

Nothing really wrong with Ubuntu, once you disable the sponsored Amazon results.
I don't like it because I don't like Unity. So I'd say go for one of the spin-offs with an alternative desktop environment.
Or Mint, but Mint 18 is due soon and there's a probability you won't be able to upgrade from 17.3 to 18.

>Mint desktop looks shit like win 95.
Except for the fact that everything is well integrated into a cohesive DE and it doesn't feel like you're using cobbled together bits of everything like XFCE.
Cinnamon has it's problems but looking like Windows 95 isn't one of them.

This user gets it

I don't understand why mint doesn't move to rolling, you can already do all the various upgrades in pieces anyway, so why not just go rolling an manicure the updates instead of releases?

They aspire to be like Ubuntu, and there are some companies that sell computers with Mint pre-installed on them, Ubuntu is still king of course.
But yeah, I'm on Mint 17.3 with kernel 4.4, the latest beta drivers from nvidia (which didn't work with 4.6 for some reason), and cinnamon 3.02 from the nightly builds.
I'm surprised it hasn't gone up in flames yet.

you silly cunt

>per say
You just install i3 through pacman and select it before you log in since you can do that, and then do whatever you want afterwards.

Or per say instead of using manjaro you use arch instead, since literally the only reason manjaro is good per se is because it will preconfigure xfce for you, which you per se won't even be using per se per se.

Forgot to add one last per sey

Xubuntu or bust

Cinnamon will blow your minds

Is Mate just for GNOME 2 baby ducks?

I used byzanz for this. It's command line desktop recorder which will output .gif .ogg or flash.
I thought I was being super-clever by resizing gnome-terminal over the area I wanted to capture and running xwininfo to get x y width and height for the command args.
In the week or two since I made that gif I found out there's a screen capture applet you can download from cinnamon-spices that works with byzanz, as well as recordmydesktop, ffmpeg, kazam, or cinnamon record. It can also take screenshots using cinnamon screenshot, gnome screenshot, shutter, image magick,xwd, or kazam.
I already had installed image magick, byzanz, ffmpeg and kazam, but what is this cinnamon record I asked myself.
Google.
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R records your desktop screencast.webm. Duh.

Why does every linux distro always has stupid names?
How do we fix this

A cocky novice once said to Stallman: “I can guess why the editor is called Emacs, but why is the justifier called Bolio?” Stallman replied forcefully: “Names are but names, ‘Emack & Bolio's’ is the name of a popular ice cream shop in Boston-town. Neither of these men had anything to do with the software.”

His question answered, yet unanswered, the novice turned to go, but Stallman called to him: “Neither Emack nor Bolio had anything to do with the ice cream shop, either.” (The store is named after two homeless men.)

See the hardware people have no problem with coming up with cool catchy names.

I just uploaded (then deleted) a demo webm but the result was a different webm I uploaded yesterday and is no longer even on my computer.
Wtf Sup Forums?

This one?

rbt.asia/boards/g/img/0546/50/1463776430297.webm

Have you tried Linux Lite?

Yes.
What is this I don't even?