P O L A R I S

June 1st: Polaris day

ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2170028

Other urls found in this thread:

phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MzM5MzMxfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1&cb=635992964179233292
youtube.com/watch?v=Jto3bBwxAtU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Only an update.
October delays hahahaha

remember: Pascal "launch" is merely a paper launch

What do you mean, paper launch, you can get a 1080 on the 27th already

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but anyone buying a reference (founder) 1080 for 100$ extra is a fucking retard

They are yeah

AMD has been to quiet about Polaris so far though

too quiet for what? Polaris is not competing for $400+ price segment, so they're fine.

Then what are they competing for, last years performance?

the biggest market segment on PC market is the medium ~$300 and below price segment.

Yeah but those are also people who don't regularly upgrade.

I think most people looking to upgrade each year are people in the higher segment

I am very hyped^tm

This is true, but they are more likely to upgrade if the upgrade is worth it to be honest familia

They better have an itx card I can masturbate to

I'd be interested in $200 970-tier performance if AMD could ever get their linux drivers sorted.

970 and 980 owners have plenty of reason to upgrade with Pascal, 980ti owners, not so much

>Polaris updates
>updates

IT'S OVER, AMD IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

AMD HAS TO RESPIN POOLARIS AND IT WILL BE DELAYED BY MONTHS

I think they may try to compete with 1080 and 1070 with Polaris instead of going for the mainstream market

Pls no

>poolaris

:(
Fuck sake cant they just release it? i guess ill just keep buying 390's and sending them back

>i guess ill just keep buying 390's and sending them back
??

Polaris is coming out mid-end of June.

Fuck sake i cant wait over a month.

Last two i had shit out on me.

which brand do you keep buying?

Gigabyte gaming last time it was terrible

Going to get a sapphire tri x 390 w/ backplate this time

>Going to get a sapphire tri x 390 w/ backplate this time
good. Sapphire makes the best AMD cards, and after then, XFX.

So AMD is basically go Sapphire/XFX or go home?

I thought MSI/Powercolor were tied for second best with xfx after them?

Will the new APUs be FM2?

Nah, check the slides, FM3

What about Asus AMD cards? Are they bad?

Im keeping my 980 until 1080ti/vega and hbm2.

Im still at 1080p so nothing even stresses my 980, and the 1080 is going for £650 in the UK. £650 for a mid range gpu is ridiculous when the 680/980 launched at around £400.

they've been lacking recently. we have to wait for benchmarks to know if the polaris ones are good

Nope, you can't reserve almost nowhere, and if you do, on May 27, and on June and beyond, you will get a Sold Out in the face. Wafflers are dodgy for Pascal as it has never been for Nvidia, wait and see.

dang, didn't want to upgrade my motherboard.

how much improvement of godavari? top-tier to top-tier

Still Polaris launch on 1st June is still a fucking paper launch. And the performance may not be as good as 1070.

Should I buy 980 today, or wait for 1070?

wait

AMD is hiding something.

Capping their demos at 60 fps, not saying anything at all, waiting for ages to release.

Nobody would be as moronic as to give NVIDIA a free ride on marketing and hype. They have something up their sleeves, trust me.

>sunnyvale
ayyy i hope ricky and the rest of the jackass trio are there.

randy and his fat gut, drunk lahey... shit this gon b good.

is poolaris still GCN?
is this going to be fourth generational rebrand?

>is this going to be fourth generational rebrand?
lel, Polaris is in 14nm FinFET, how can you rebrand a 28nm GPU to be in 14nm technological process?

Buy a 980ti today before people realize it's more powerful than the 1070 and the price goes back up

Yes, you are correct

>Polaris launch on 1st June
what? are you retarded? June 1st is just an update announcement, nothing else.

>is poolaris still GCN?
>is this going to be fourth generational rebrand?

AMD Tiers, best to worst
>Sapphire
>MSI
>Powercolor
>Gigabyte
>XFX
>ASUS

Have owned cards from all

>Have owned cards from all
yeah but they change from time to time.

I don't think anyone with a 970 or 980 has "plenty" of reasons to upgrade.
I kept a 5870 5 years, a friend of mine kept his 470 for 4, most people don't blow $400-$500 every year for a new gpu.
Maybe if you're a real enthusiast or something but that's not the vast majority of people

I have a GTX 670

Should I Polaris 10? I hate to give my shekels to Nvidia again, and don't want to buy a $600 card either.

Here's to hoping, I'm either going. I want to get a Nano but if Polaris comes through, I'll shell out the extra cash.

XFX are above Gigabyte, who shat out the only voltage-locked 300 series cards on the market.

>voltage-locked
what did he mean by this?

They're allegedly going to release some details on their Raven Ridge APUs as well.

phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MzM5MzMxfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1&cb=635992964179233292

Nvidia can and did it with Pascal

I can't wait for the crash and burn.

WEW this is great

who gives a shit

I think Polaris may be cheaper than a Nano

You're a fucking idiot, just because it's named GCN doesn't mean it's a fucking rebrand

>responding to a literal retard who thinks 14nm card can be a rebrand of a previous gen card on different die size

>putting your trust in pajeet

I'm surprised Sup Forums isn't going turbo autistic over that XFX rep. Then again XFX don't make Nvidia cards (anymore) so Sup Forums has never heard of the company.

hi guys I have GTX560 almost 4 years old card
Will be the polaris at least 2x faster or should i buy 1070 instead?

t. pajeet

Dont question his almighty poo hands. He's actually pretty based and is considered the Jim Keller of Graphics Chips after working for apple

>I'm surprised Sup Forums isn't going turbo autistic over that XFX rep
What?

Which one was that? The guy who called out Nvidia over their founders edition bullshit?

u wot m8?

Dude posted on a comment on reddit relating to the 490x and waiting 8 days. Nothing concrete in any shape or form but this is suddenly 100% real confirmation polaris is happening in 8 days.

No, but i'm curious to what you are referring to specifically. I know there was some minor drama for 5 minutes over a Sapphire rep effectively saying Nvidia is scared of polaris.

It should have happened today, since AMD said that they were going to do a press day event for Polaris on the 20th of May back in December. I wonder why they pushed it back by over a week

Probably to rejig a few things given its likely Nvidia rushed out their Pascal annoucement just to beat AMD to the punch. At this point another week doesn't mean much.

Computex for Hardwarepartners to show custom cards

youtube.com/watch?v=Jto3bBwxAtU

>Poolaris will poo on the competition

What did he mean by this?

What's the word on that?
Is XFX no longer producing the same old cooler designs and reference PCBs like they've been doing since the 290X?
Is Sapphire making a Tri-X Vapor for the new cards?
Is ASUS taking the Nvidia cooler design and slapping it on Polaris because fuck it we're lazy?
Is Gigabyte putting more pointless LEDs and less voltage/power delivery for their line of cards?
Is MSI showing that they're the only competent dual-vendor AIB partner like they've always done in the past three years?

What are the chances that AMD will provide something on the level of xx60 Nvidia line for reasonable price, so I wont have to wait whole year for 1060?

Amd will drop the Poo hard on Nvidia next week

I was assuming that the 490 was going to be closer to $500. Maybe I've mistaken though.

Very likely, but don't think that they won't take advantage of that gap in the market by artificially limiting the supply of their Polaris cards to jack up the prices until the 1060 is rushed out. They're desperate enough for cash flows from the Radeon department.

zen based

>Is MSI showing that they're the only competent

The gaming 290x was very, very meh as far as 290x cards went. Not particularly silent, not particularly cool and not particularly highly clocked. The 390x cooler is a beast though (even with its absurd voltage offset - that card must have a 400w bios).

I don't think the 490 was supposed to be based on Polaris 10

While I can't speak for their custom designs, when I got my Fury X, XFX were the cheapest option while also giving the proper faceplate with the card, and not the shitty 'glossy plastic' thing that some others were.
Also, the XFX logo looks the best on the fan.

Compared to ASUS and Gigabyte, they are the most competent. Sapphire blows all of them out of the water, with XFX being the hipster choice and Powercolor being the budget choice.

>490x
What the fuck? Fuck off, Polaris 10 was supposed to be mainstream

I fucking swear, if AMD fucks this up I'm never buying their shit again

Just look at the 390X and the 290X from XFX. It's literally the same cooler designs.
And they even managed to reuse those terrible AMD reference blowers from the 290X for their 390 cards.

wait on polaris announcement and benches. shit will be good, but price and what it preforms like are still unknown, we only know one game but its very promising.

XFX made some of the smallest (if not the smallest) hawaii basrd cards out of any AIB. The cards are shit for overclocking but great for stock clocks.

>Just look at the 390X and the 290X from XFX. It's literally the same cooler designs.

Its not - they (slightly) redesigned the heatsink.

It is just that I planned to buy new PC around mid/end July and originally planned to get GTX 960, but since both Nvidia and AMD announced new lines, I got confused.

So far, Nvidia only presented 1070 and 1080 - I never buy 70s or 80s due to their very high price, always buying 60s ones. If AMD would provide something for less than 220 EUR but what would not be worse too much than 1060 (that Nvidia will probably provide much later this year), I could actually buy Radeon for the first time in many years (I only had Radeon once, after my ancient Geforce 2 card died).

My 290x is starting to reach 90 degrees I need an energy efficient poolaris NOW before my cuck shed burns down.

Apply new thermalpaste

>TFW my Fury X reached a record high of 65c while playing Ashes of the Singularity
Fuck me did I feel the heat. My card normally tops out at 55c but yesterday it hit 65c during my 2.5h rumble.
Can't believe how much of an effect it had on the room, never really understood why people moan so much until then.

Any other 380 owners here? Just wondering what a safe OC looks like.

>Capping their demos at 60 fps, not saying anything at all, waiting for ages to release.
I think that's because AMD doesn't have much else to show about Polaris other than "better pixels" and "it's not Nvidia".
>They have something up their sleeves, trust me.
If they did, don't you think they would have said or leaked something about Polaris immediately after the Nvidia event?

That looks very deliberate, more like a marketing move to drive up hype for a brand that's been in the backwaters of attention for so long.
Maybe the reason for the lack of leaks is because there aren't that many places that would want to hear leaks about AMD products these days if it's not Zen.

That's the sector Polaris is supposed to target so I'm going to say they have a high chance of shitting out a good mid range card

Or, much more likely, they didn't want Nvidia getting the upper hand by releasing specs first.
I know that sounds odd, since people would love to know specs and an architecture redesign would be well out of the bounds of reality - but forcing higher stock clocks or rehashing stuff to try and improve in other ways, even if it hurts yields, is a definite possibility.

Can't wait for AM4 DDR4 APUs

According to I think they can speculate they are going to try to pass off Polaris 10 as high-end cards, not mid-range, as they initially said