What convinced you to give up Windows?

What convinced you to give up Windows?

This

When doing anything on it became painful.

poo loos

>Location: Turkey

Aaaand into the trash it goes.

I dual boot. I cannot play a game on linux. also some other things.

>mfw it's true

windows 8

>Wayland support on everything
>Amd and nvidia drivers fully supporting Wayland
>All game development using vulkan
>Wine-type implementation of dx11 through vulkan, like how native dx9 works now
That'd be good enough.

idle resource usage, and win10 sending my statistics to the nsa

GNU/Linux.

Nothing, I'm still using it.

i cant afford more than a single machine per decade

Better question is what convinced me to give up on Linux and go to Windows. Prepare your anus:

>Wireless doesn't work
>IDT Audio doesn't work
>Bluetooth not even detected
>Screen tearing, glitches, random system halts
>Pain in the ass to find alternatives to Windows applications
>Office 365
>Gaymes
>Proprietary drivers

Holy shit

all of them are false, there are no drivers for my amd gpu.

>Mfw turkey is white
>Mfw Germany and Sweden are longer not

Not really that windows is a bad system of anything. I just really enjoy messing around with Linux and learning the ins and outs on how it works. I will freely admit that Arch is a time-sink OS, but I find it fun to maintain.

Virus and maintenance.

Nothing. I use Windows 7

Windows 10. No way was I going to stay on 7 forever. I gave Linux a try and loved it, simple as that.

This

I tried Linux and it was better

Those crisps were better when they came in see-through packets

The incasuveness of it. To be honest, I never really liked Windows. It was painful to switch to it from DOS because it felt so babby-like. XP was pretty good though and Windows 7 the high point. But there is no way I'm going to accept the complete insanity of a telescreen that is Windows 10. An operating system is a means for me to operate my computer, not a way for Microsoft and its partners to operate on me.

The aggresive nature of the antimalware tool that comes with Windows and the updates.

>Want to move or delete certain file
>Too bad, Windows defender is currently scanning it.

>Want to use that resource intensive task
>Too bad, Windows defender is doing some bullshit in the background and eating all your HDD disk/writes resources.

>Want to shut down computer after a day of work.
>can't because updates, wait from 10 minutes to 1 hour for computer to shut down.

>Early in the morning before going to work/school.
>forgot to print file
>turn on computer
>have to wait 1 hour for windows to configure last night's update.

I just use Ubantoo now.

Uhh, invasiveness. Although that incasuveness sounds pretty bad too.

>pirate game
>takes 8 hours to extract files with the Russian .exe
>windows deletes the crack as soon as I run it

Metro
Settings in 500 different places
Buggy start menu

My programming language concepts class. finding compilers for snobol and pl1 and lisp and shit on windows was more of a hassle than installing linux

A combination of Windows 10 pissing me off with its forced updates and broken GUI, and the realization that all the software that was tying me to Windows is available on Linux (with a few exceptions, for which I keep a windows VM around).

I'm honestly a little shocked with how many people willingly use Windows 10 - I guess it has to do with Microsoft marginalizing the poweruser so as to better fit normies.

>I'm honestly a little shocked with how many people willingly use Windows 10
People just don't give a fuck about reinstalling their OS. Not that many devices come with Linux installed that aren't Android.

It still surprises me though: I've personally witnessed, on multiple occasions involving different people, Windows 10 machines behaving so poorly (whether due to forcing an update at an inopportune time, running search indexer at 100% CPU usage while the computer is in use, etc) that the person commented that their computer worked better before they updated. And as far as I'm aware this isn't confirmation bias or goading them into saying so on my part - these statements often come up unprompted. During one of these situations, the person actually asked how they could install Linux on their computer after they saw my desktop and were shocked when I told them it wasn't Windows.

I think that last sentence hits on the general issue, which is that the average person has literally no idea of the alternatives available, and the difficulty level of making use of them is so steep as to be insurmountable. Realistically, Linux just isn't ready for a regular person to use as their "daily driver" unless they fit into the camp of needing literally nothing but a web browser, or being computer-savvy enough to solve problems themselves as they come up - and the second group likely already has either moved to Linux, or analysed the situation and decided to stay on Windows voluntarily.

It's just so bizarre that people put up with it.

My cousin gave up on it after Windows 10 forced an update and they lost everything. They want a Mac now cause they had one before and it just works which is all they care about. They're even willing to try Ubuntu just so they can avoid Windows 10.

I still use Windows cause I like making things with DirectX and playing games. I also have 4 different computers I use. One has Windows 8.1, another has Windows 7, and two have Debian.

my windows 7 machine ran fine until it started getting 'updates', and then it mysteriously became 10x slower. don't even have viruses, and keep it disconnected from the internet most of the time.

/shrugs/

Oy vey, I'm not gonna delete windows off my pre-built desktop.
I paid for it, so I'm keeping it.
I just don't use it.
GNU+Linux, every day.

I 've used Ubuntu since 10.10 and now that Windows went downhill since Win8 I don't have reasons to use Windows outside a VM, plus a lot of my games are Linux compatible.

Wireshark.