/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_degree
devuan.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just posted this at the end of the last thread.
What's the most battery friendly distribution that isn't too hard to install/use?
I'm using mint right now on an old laptop but I'm going to start needing to take it to college with me and I need the battery to last at least 3 hours.

reposting answer too then.

>any distro with tlp and powertop set up

Thanks.
Can I get these tools on any distro or do I need to change to one that comes with them?

any distro

What does this delusional "Dr." even do on his laptop all day? He can't even develop anything, in fact, he has never even installed gnu/linux on his computer himself.

nice shitpost
he answers emails, manages the fsf, manages his website, prepares speeches and keeps the community going. installing GNU/Linux has nothing to do with developing.

It's just GNU, no Linux. After all, we don't call Windows "Windows/ntoskrnl"

I use busybox/cqlibc/malloc

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_degree

I'm currently using Arch Linux with Xfce and the latest build of Firefox Nightly, and whenever I go to save an image, choose a name, and then save it the file downloads but Firefox crashes. This also occurred with the version of Firefox in the extra repository. I honestly have no clue why this is happened and I'm not 100% sure if this was a issue when I first installed Arch due to not have saved many images in recent time. Anyone know what is causing this?

No, you dont.

Run firefox in console and post results when it c rashes

So no one in the entire world uses anything other then gnu?
Nah

"Mycroft", the personal assistant for GNU/Linux, is now open source!!

This is a friendly thread, could you please take your memes and go away? Thank you!

(process:1845): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_path_get_basename: assertion 'file_name != NULL' failed
ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 1933
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...
[Child 1845] WARNING: pipe error (3): Connection reset by peer: file /builds/slave/m-cen-l64-ntly-000000000000000/build/src/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 315
[Child 1845] ###!!! ABORT: Aborting on channel error.: file /builds/slave/m-cen-l64-ntly-000000000000000/build/src/ipc/glue/MessageChannel.cpp, line 2050
[Child 1845] ###!!! ABORT: Aborting on channel error.: file /builds/slave/m-cen-l64-ntly-000000000000000/build/src/ipc/glue/MessageChannel.cpp, line 2050
Bus error (core dumped)

>Others use things i dont use so they have to be wrong.Stop talking about things i dont use, you're going to ruin my safe space

Odd, posted the wrong link, here is the right one

see

>Someone else using something i dont
>I cant fathom people using other things
>you're not being "nice to me"
kek

see

Remember:
Ignore Microsoft/anti-Linux trolls.
Ignore BSD/anti-GNU trolls.
Ignore anti-OpenRC/anti-Upstart/anti-Mir trolls.

Mark them as bait. You are invited to share/create copypasta to prevent doubts they create.

Please add this to the OP.

see

Complete linux noob here.
I'm currently running mint and when I initially installed it I opted to encrypt the hard drive, but I want to unencrypt it now. Is there any way for me to do this?
Also, more importantly, is there an easy way for me to completely reset my Mint install or will I have to boot from a live usb and reinstall it that way?

see

see

As in removing the encryption?
If you did full system encryption;No
You would have to reinstall the system

I'm currently trying out diffrerent de's for my arch and got stuck with kde. everythings working flawlessly so far except the clock, wich is always missing the '6'. Idk why, but no clock in kde shows a six, not in the taskbar, not in the desktop app, not in the cairo background clock. Can anyone tell me WHY THE FUCK WON'T THE CLOCKS SHOW ME THE 6?

I should be able to reinstall it by putting mint on a USB, hitting into BIOS and then installing it again from there right?

Correct.

Escape the systemD cancer. Join Devuan.
devuan.org/

No. Themes don't affect performance.
The only thing which could make Xubuntu "heavier" are some background programs which they enable by default, but I can't think of any that would run on Xubuntu but not on an Xfce install on Debian.

>he thinks he has to use some 3 man maintained fork of Debian not to use systemd's utilities

systemctl disregard this.post

XTerm.*.background: black
XTerm.*.foreground: gray

In your .xresources. But don't do reverse video, it has a purpose.

This did not change anything.
Where was no .Xresources file so i created one in my home directory, pasted your code and nothing.

What codecs don't gmusicbrowser support?

the ones installed on your system. what issues do you have?

You need to either re-log or merge it. Look it up online how to use Xresource files. No one is going to spoonfeed you even more.

Now you've edited the config, you must tell it to use that config...

xrdb .Xresources

now restart xterm if your changes do not immediately take effect

The program doesn't play when I open the music but it works in parole.

Uxterm is the best terminal and the only where I can change the color of the cursor.

bump
If it helps: when saving a image from Chromium it opens a window titled Save File, but when saving an image from Firefox it opens a slightly different window titled Save Image. Any ideas? (also Chromium does not crash like Firefox does)

how to connect to a local computer with ssh [email protected]?

it kinda just works with my ubuntu laptop and fedora desktop, but not with the arch raspberry pi.

The font size of my Firefox "about:preferences" is too big! The checkboxes of the settings are larger than the mouse pointer! How to reduce the size of the font?
>Ubuntu 16.04

URxvt.cursorColor

Question: How can I boost GNOME's responsiveness and overall speed? I am using Arch Linux and do have a powerfull PC. It's a Phenom II X6 1090T with 16GB of RAM. The OS is installed on a SSD and there are two 4K monitors hooked up on my GTX 760. Still the UI is sluggish and unresponsive. Any ideas?

Ok, I correct myself. Is one of two.

>and the only where I can change the color of the cursor.

Every other terminal can do that.

Does anyone have a Samsung ATIV Tab 3?

It's a really shitty tab that doesn't even have actual windows 10 drivers. You have to install the 8.1 drivers for that. It's an UEFI 32 bit tablet with clover trail.

Windows is unsurprisingly kinda slow on it, with the only good thing being that it has a wacom digitizer which is supported there. Ideally this tablet would be pretty fine if it was actually any fast.

Any linux distro out there that supports weird shit like this tablet? I tried Debian and Ubuntu and so far the only thing I've been able to do is reach the bootloader, but after selecting any option it does nothing.

Dont use a DE.Use a WM

I know. We just call it GNU/Linux so that Linus Torvalds and his supporters don't get mad.
At the end, we all know that it's GNU's software that powers up the whole OS.

You don't have to post the link thee times. That's just attention-whoring.

Use Firefox.

Dear friend, please use Firefox, as it is in every way superior to Chromium,

see

Fine, I'll try...
Are you running the latest version?

GNOME has a WM, called Mutter.

Nope.

A year ago I would have told you to go fuck yourself

But right now? Nah. Even on Windows I have switched to Firefox. It just... happens to run a lil bit better. Too bad about the social morons in charge of it but I don't choose software based on political ideas.

I like it because it's customizable.

>A year ago I would have told you to go fuck yourself
Rude.

>Too bad about the social morons in charge of it
What do you mean?

The SJW meme. Don't waste your time on it.

>come back
>see all these deleted posts
Did I miss something.

nitpicking faggots posting nosense

I haven't tried so far. I'd love to actually customize how it looks but I heard not long ago that Mozilla was doing everything in their hand to prevent people from doing such thing.

Because I understand that's some Sup Forums related topic and people don't like politics shoved down their throats I'm just going to say that they're pretty "sensible" and "lactose intolerant".

If you arent already in the thread when they are deleted they will not show up.

>Sup Forums-x users

Unless you're using dev,you have to have forced signed addons,and there is no theming avalible

Have you ever heard of archives?
This thread is archived right now as we speak on at least a couple of other sites.

In terms of battery friendliness, would Mint or Ubuntu be better?

You can just download the .xpi, and install it manually. It doesn't have to be signed.

And how many lazy faggots do you think are going to look up a post?

Phew. I accidentally deleted my boot partition because I mistook it for the recovery partition of my windows install.

Then I realized that you cannot resize F2fs partitions and that it may have been a poor choice of filesystem in general.

Spent half of the day on a LiveCd trying to migrate my installation to ext4 and make it bootable again. What an unpleasant experience, all for a couple of gigabytes extra. I should try to be less retarded next time.

not the one I am using... like whatever the default is with gnomebuntu

If I installed a debian(-like) distro but with no desktop environment, what's next?

I imagine the packages I need are "xorg" and a window manager, plus a terminal. Amirite?

Nice blog. Have one in return:
Last year I accidently deleted all pictures.
I ran: rm a.out eog *jpg

Okay? But if you are using Mutter as part of a bloated desktop environment, then you aren't going to get the performance boost that user was asking about.

I liked fluxbox for a tiling manager, but I've recently switched to dwm and I love it.

How beginner friendly is Antergos?
I'm been using Mint for about a year now.

You may have Xorg and twm or some other window manager available even if you don't have a desktop environment.

Fluxbox isnt a tiling wm

Never used Antergos, but I only heard bad things. It seems Antergos is basically just an installer for Arch+DE, and the installer itself should be buggy. So far the memes.

Oh.
Are there any beginner friendly debian forks?

What were you trying to do? I can't really make it out from the command

I wanted to remove a.out and then open all jpgs with eog (GNOME's image viewer). I simply forgot the ";" between both commands.

Just install Arch. It's insanely documented.

Yes it is mostly an arch installer, but I haven't had a single problem with it so far. I'd recommend it if you're looking for an arch desktop

Is not installed by default, but I am downloading everything now.

I meant floating or whatever, typo.

What's the best place to get icon themes for GNOME? (Preferably GPL-licensed ones)

No point in deleting something you posted anonymously anyway.

download openbox and tint2. There's your desktop.

If you don't wanna bother installing Arch, install Manjaro. It's basically Arch + GUI installer + its own repositories.

Manjaro is insecure shit run by teenagers

There is gnome-look and deviantart has some pretty nice ones. Icons should basically work for every DE/WM.

gnome look or whatever is still up.

probably have to look at github for some still updated ones.

see

No senpai, you got your info wrong. They team is shit for maintaining a website, to the distro.

Manjaro is the best for new people.