Free from systemD

Debian is compromised, escape the systemd cancer.

Try distros like Devuan. All you need from debian without the cuckery.
devuan.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd#Breaking_promises_and_immaturity
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
rbt.asia/g/thread/54597043
undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20070913014315
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reminder that Devuan repositories are currently loaded with requests.

WE MORE NEED MIRRORS!

Just install gentoo.

first tell me why systemd is bad

why systemd is bad u fuck tard

“Systemd flies in the face of the Unix philosophy: ‘do one thing and do it well,’ representing a complex collection of dozens of tightly coupled binaries. Its responsibilities grossly exceed that of an init system, as it goes on to handle power management, device management, mount points, cron, disk encryption, socket API/inetd, syslog, network configuration, login/session management, readahead, GPT partition discovery, container registration, hostname/locale/time management, mDNS/DNS-SD, the Linux console and other things all wrapped into one.”

poettering pls go

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd#Breaking_promises_and_immaturity

I refuse to post (yet again) all the info on systemd.

If you want to troll, go to thell.

So your argument isn't that it's bad at doing any of those things, it's that it does too many things well?

The more I learn about using systemd the more I get the feeling that people are sperging out over nothing. What's weird is it offers backwards compatibility with the systems it replaces. So if you want to pretend your system is running cron, you can do that. If you want to boot in to an init level instead of a .target it will humor you. If you want to mount something with fstab nothing's stopping you.

>it's that it does too many things well?
WRONG. At the beginning it was a shitty init, and now is a growing tumor.

Many things became "deprecated" just because. No reason at all other than "systemD wanted to obfuscate the interface".

And for the human factor, I don't trust Poettering or Red Hat.

are u dumb??

quit shiling asshole, this isn't buying you a sandwich

what?? do you know how to grammar?

k

>implying living is easy nowadays
>implying a computer cannot threaten your life

The interface isn't obfuscated though. It's pretty simple. If you like the old interface it hasn't gone anywhere.

Things didn't become deprecated because systemd was created. Things became deprecated because distros started using it. This is what happens when a superior option comes along.

>interface isn't obfuscated
>superior option comes along
Why you lie? If systemD started replacing shit like udev, and now su !

Distros started adopting this cancer and everything came to hell.

No wonder people suspect of this being a ruse by the NSA, shills always come in the defense with lies and shitty excuses.

No, thanks. That is a non-issue for me, and if it is a problem for you, that means you're a cuck. I rarely even use Linux at all. It sucks. Most of the time I just use FreeBSD or OpenBSD. In the rare occasion I need to use Linux, I use Alpine.

Systemd is going to be the next xorg

>No one actually explains why systemd is bad

As I understand the argument linux needs some of the functionality that systemd offers, however people are deeply distrustful of the way it is being controlled and the obfuscation and overarching intrusive control that seems to be inherent within the organisation behind it.

See
Is not like that, systemd replaced other software that gave functionality, things didn't needed to replace.

And is not mission creep, the API is obfuscated in such a way you need to have a lot of time and joint effort to watch over what Red Hat's team is doing.

And you can't take back the pieces from systemd to use it in other projects an distros that don't use systemd.

Red Hat brought distrust upon itself.

>however people are deeply distrustful
in other words, they are a bunch of retards incapable of checking an open source project

You are a bigot. A project that big needs a team to check they do what they say.

Are you sure you are not related to them?

>Systemd flies in the face of the Unix philosophy: ‘do one thing and do it well
you mean just like any of the BSDs? because they too have everything in one repo, designed to work all together; are you actually fucking retarded?

>it's that it does too many things well?
No, it's that it doesn't do all things well and due to how its structured those things are impossible to replace without throwing the whole systemd out altogether

Newest Devuan installer is trash.
This netinstaller is trash:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I don't mind forks like this but if you flee GNU/Linux looking for something that doesn't force you to conform to standards and move to one of the BSDs you're a fucking idiot.

Are you getting paid to insult people? You give no argument and truly sperg nonsensical words.

>Distros started adopting
because it's superior to anything else out there
>a ruse by the NSA
oh, you're mentally ill, carry on

Systemd is amazing and I posit that you are mad, your arguments are nonsense, and I boot in 8 seconds to Xorg.

You should tell me, judging by your post you're some kind of a retardation expert.

>I'll pretend I only read the last question
>I am actually retarded
ok then

Oh, I get it.

Shills are pushing BSD.

You got told, eh?

Just move to FreeBSD.

Is it true that BSD is against the UNIX philosophy?

I'm still busy deciphering how your reply was related to the greentext above it

>I'm too stupid to read simple phrases
:^)

I am more concern how their developers are bigots against the GNU project.

>Devuan
bwahahahaha, that shit show by the "veteran unix users"? bwahahahaha

BSDs try to conform to the Unix philosophy where possible. They're basically modern Unix systems but legally they're not allowed to call themselves that.

Yes, sure, but are the BSDs against the UNIX philosophy? (In your opinion, of course)

Stop shilling BSD.
Stop lying about nothing being wrong with systemD.

FUCK OFF.

And how is that a bad thing? GNU sucks.

Reminder that BSD and the BSD license is promoted by big corporations to cuck developers.

All three of them.

>Is not like that, systemd replaced other software that gave functionality, things didn't needed to replace.
dae hate natural selection?

>why systemd is bad
A stop job is running for Session c1 user abc

Reminder that that's literally a non-issue Lincucks invented as a red herring because they couldn't come up with a single technical argument against BSD, but in reality BSD-style licenses are not and have never been a problem, and even Lincucks use a lot of BSD-style licensed stuff (X11, PHP, Python, Apache, PostgreSQL, Perl, LaTeX, OpenSSL, etc. etc. etc...)

SystemD is the future, and moreover it merely represents the maturing of the GNU/Linux operating system beyond the days of ad-hoc bash scripts. Yes, they were flexible, but Linux has always missed having a shared underlying API with which to universally interact with the system (short of directly interfacing with the kernel, which opens up numerous problems with security and stability). SystemD may centralize things, yes, but that added layer of abstraction can in time lead to better consistency across platforms and applications as well as bettered security through modifying the kernel and SystemD to interface more exclusively while limiting surface area available to user-space.

I'm really hoping that in the next few years, the widespread adoption of technically superior and more maturely designed solutions like SystemD and Wayland will lead to the ability to interface with the Linux via a Powershell-style object-oriented CLI. While bash and other scripting languages gave GNU/Linux an edge for many years when faced up against the CLI capabilities of Microsoft operating systems, the maturation of Powershell has changed that balance dramatically, and makes the manual string-parsing and DIY application-chaining of GNU/Linux look rather juvenile. Microsoft has gone above and beyond in their development of DSC, of their Linux compatibility layer, of docker-style container support, powershell's ssh, etc. You can essentially run every command and get standardized object types which you can effortlessly pass into other commands, with rich support for display methods of those objects, and direct access to modifying the system at fundamental levels (such as you get when leveraging the Puppet-style DSC now available in Powershell). When GNU/Linux reaches adulthood and starts moving toward those superior Microsoft features, the entire cloud ecosystem will become radically better integrated and adoption rates will rise among smaller players.

>devuan
>debian

NO, FAGGOT! INSTALL FUNTOO OR GENTOO!

What? Surely they "fly in the face of UNIX philosophy"! Haven't you seen all the code in a single repository? And only certain people have commit access, not any contributor! It's literally just like systemd! Aren't you concerned about this? That BSDs don't follow the UNIX way? In other words, that UNIX doesn't follow the UNIX way? If not, how do you deal with that cognitive dissonance?

artificial selection breed this tumor called systemd, get rekt

>big corporations
Wanna know how I know you're a gommie?

enjoy your 4 hour compiles that crash halfway through because your computer doesn't have enough RAM

Wanna know how I know you are against small entrepreneurs?

>install this distribution without systemd
Why is it bad
>GTFO troll cuck boy

I AM a small entrepreneur, you cocksucker.

It's a dog eat dog world, user. And Poettering the fucking Chinamen.

This isn't going well with trolls.

They don't care for reasoning, even when presented with evidence they still keep trolling.

>cocksucker
>fucking idiot
>retarded

REPORT THESE SHILLS

The GPL harms small entrepreneurs. Big companies love the GPL. Look at Oracle, Google, Apple. All of them own massive amounts of GPL'ed code. Massive corporations can afford to buy out GPL projects. Once they own the copyrights, they can relicense it under their own proprietary license, while keeping a watered-down version GPL'ed. Once the code is GPL'ed, BSD projects can't use it.

Corporations don't steal BSD code. They give a lot back to BSD-licensed projects actually. Linux developers steal BSD code. And big corporations can make BSD code proprietary too... but so can small ones, because they don't have to buy the rights out. Therefore, it levels the playing field.

>2016
>don't have 16GB

Poo in the Loo!

>Oracle
You mean the same corporation known to rage against GPL projects? To buy open source projects and then close source them?

Tawmpy Tears?

For fuck's sake Lennart, please GO!

This. You'd never have small enterprises like Calyptix, Halon and Vantronix making great appliances which are able to compete against the big ones without BSD.

Plus, BSD code improves the whole ecosystem security-wise. Just look at stuff like arc4random, it's literally everywhere these days.

The Internet is a safer place thanks literally to BSD.

>Linux developers steal BSD code
How so?
>And big corporations can make BSD code proprietary too
So, they're stealing?
>Corporations don't steal BSD code
Make up your mind!

is that a urinal cake?

The same one who owns MySQL, VirtualBox, and other GPL projects. They love the GPL.

>apple steals freebsd
>freebsd is now dead

>google steals linux
>google is now one of the largest contributors to linux

how's that working out for you bsdfriends?

>BSD is against the UNIX way
"devuan" cucks actually believe this?

>Unix philosophy
Linux isn't Unix.You're looking for the Macfag general,I think.

>How so?
By wrapping the GPL around it. Happens all the time. They CAN'T do it, the license doesn't allow that, but they get away with it because they can afford big attorneys like big fat Eben Moglen, who even himself admitted they can't do that, but restrained himself to only "warn" them they should stop doing it (which they didn't).

>So, they're stealing?
No. They're obeying the license. Because they have actually got something to lose. AKA business. The Linux Foundation and the Free Software Foundation are non-profits.

>Make up your mind!
You're dumb and you're arguing about a subject you have no knowledge of. There can't be debate between both of us. Maybe lesson. I can teach you. But not argue with you.

TELEMARKETERS GET OUT

We know you are here.
rbt.asia/g/thread/54597043

ITT: deluded idiots that can't put together a coherent thought are celebrating their mental illness by rallying up against a random free software project.

>apple steals freebsd
lol wut?

>freebsd is now dead
lolno

>I can excuse myself from following established best practices, standards and conventions if I just claim I never intended to in the first place

Literal equivalent of being retarded on purpose.

god damn I hate bsd so much

there are people in the free software community who want it both ways; they want people to have open source software and approve of permissive licenses as long as nobody actually takes advantage of the permissive licensing and creates a closed source fork from the open source origin.

generally it's agreed that os x is heavily inspired and partly built out of freebsd, but it's a spiritual descendent at this point.

>By wrapping the GPL around it.
Are you referring to derivative works?
>No. They're obeying the license.
Aren't they also wrapping their EULA around it? Didn't you say they can't do that?
>I can teach you.
Go ahead, but you didn't have such a great start; are you sure everything is clear in your own head before you try to explain it?

Wow, the GNU/Linux side of this argument is completely based upon ignorance.

In first place, FreeBSD isn't dead. It's literally one of the most used operating systems in the world.

Secondly, Apple didn't steal FreeBSD. Only the userland and the libc on Mac OS X derive from FreeBSD code. Most of the operating system has nothing to do with FreeBSD.

Finally, Apple did contribute and still contributes a LOT of code back to FreeBSD, including a whole C++ stack and compiler.

You can't have a healthy debate when one side of the argument is simply so ignorant.

how about the PS4 OS?

Darwin took a lot of developer thou. You can bet they went from bsd to darwin.

>if I just claim I never intended to in the first place
Show me something in the Linux mission statement that claims Linux wants to be Unix.You're just spouting Greybeard memery.

>inally, Apple did contribute and still contributes a LOT of code back to FreeBSD, including a whole C++ stack and compiler.
haha, oh wow.

>literally one of the most used
>behind Windows, OSX, iOS, Android, GNU/Linux, etc.
ok

I said I CAN, not that I WILL. I have better ways to spend my time, and I'm not your personal search engine. Read up on it, you dumbass. Here's a link, this is more than you deserve.

undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20070913014315

that's true. i guess my gripe is that the OSS community has these shrill zealots who don't seem to appreciate that freedom means freedom to do shitty things as well. i don't like that OS X is closed source, but that's up to them.

it's undeniably true that OS X suffers from bash and other projects going GPLv3, forcing OS X to ship the last versions of those components that used a more permissive license. non-permissive licensing seems to be against the very general spirit of freedom, and it seems like the justification for it is that it's okay to handcuff you if you do it with the lights on.

>2007
Something relevant please?
That was back when people were still using BSD.

... what's the relevancy of that? You're either confused or moving the goalposts.

>muh sysvinit
>muh minimalism

>I have better ways to spend my time
Ah, backpedaling, I heard of this tactic used by people that get cornered in an argument and try to save face. So... you were actually full of shit. Figures.

Of that list, the only one that's used on servers and appliances is Linux. Nobody cares about user-facing shit. Why didn't you also include crap like ChromeOS in your list? Are you sure you're on Sup Forums, not on Sup Forums?

Backpedaling is when you take something away, you idiot. I stand by 100% of what I said. I'm 100% right and don't care about your red herring debate techniques. Anyone that looks this up will find out. I literally don't care about the idiots in this forum who choose to be ignorants and listen to your shit and go to your side. The truth is the truth is the truth. No matter how many people believe in it or not.

2/10, I actually believe for a moment you weren't trolling

Take it like this. Would you prefer to be left no permissions to rewrite the code over a project, meaning, having you project go closed source, or signing a contract that says whatever you do you have to let other people do it too?

Apple should embrace the GPL, but guess what? They are prefer to keep everything closed, even being called even from other big companies.

>Nobody cares about user-facing shit
correction: freebsd devs don't care because they're apple shills anyway and must use OSX
>Why didn't you also include crap like ChromeOS
forgot about it; yes, ChromeOS is more popular than freebsd

Shit you caught me.
BSD was already dead in 2007 people weren't using it :(