GPU Smell

How long does it take for the burning plastic smell to wear off?

But that's the way it's ment to be played

Memes aside, does anyone else experience this or is it just me?

No part of your computer should ever smell like burning. That generally indicates something seriously wrong, some piece somewhere burning.

Yes.

What case are you using and what's your fan setup?

Just you

Just ignore it until your house burns down. Make sure to stay inside while it happens.

Using the NZXT H440 with an overkill fan setup: 3 fans on front, 2 fans on top, one fan on back. My overall temps are fine...

It's probably the PCIe power connectors, or a shitty molex adapter. Those things tend to get SUPER hot. If it continues for more than a day, take your GPU out, it's probably a housefire waiting to happen.

Definitely a power connector then, either that or your PSU is fucked.

What sort of PSU do you have in this thing?

I have the corsair HX850i, so its a good PSU and there is no smell coming out of it...

Check the PCIe power then, if it's too hot to touch, that's where the smell is coming from.

my gtx 660 caught on fire

Nigga wtf were you doing

Taping the vents on his case to keep dust out probably.

Opened my case, checked the components, the connector is fine, the gpu doesnt smell. Turns out the smell is coming from the Corsair SP120 fans on top.

Sounds like you got a shit fan then.

Yep -.-"
Any recommendations for 140mm fans for my radiator?

Story time
>vacuum pc ( yes i was that retarded)
>start smelling burnt electronics later that day
>pc wont start anymore
That day i lost motherboard and gpu

You're supposed to take the plastic off the fans before using it dingus.

Joking aside, I got an MSI R9 390 and I never got any burning plastic smell and my computer is sitting right next to me on my desk. Might wanna get it looked at. Check your temps too.

How could vacumming your PC damage the components?

Static electricity

Static rape.

Why wasn't your case grounded? As in, plugged in.

>tfw been vacumming PCs for my whole life
>i was living on the edge all my life

It wasnt plugged in, cable didnt reach outside the table where the case sits.

my laptop doesn't do this and both the processor and graphics card are OC'd. might be a shitty connector on your mobo

mine took almost 1 year, the first months the smell was really strong but then it got better.

You can use alcohol to clean the PCB and remove all the flux used on the solder if you worry that much.

This is why you buy a datavac