At what point did Microsoft go downhill?

At what point did Microsoft go downhill?

I can accurately pinpoint it to 2010

In 2009, Microsoft killed it with Windows 7. Universal praise. Literally no one hated it except macfags and gnu-autists. It was a godsend and ran damn fine. It now runs slower because of all the service packs and update bloat.

Microsoft had Windows Mobile 6.5, with Windows Mobile 7 on the way. Its flagship phones with the HTC HD2, Touch Pro 2, and some others. They ran smooth, fast, and were a step above android and iOS at that time. Remember, this was when 20 million Windows Mobile devices were sold that year. 20 million. WINDOWS IPHONE 7-8-10 STILL NEVER GOT TO THIS 7 YEARS LATER!! This was a 10 year old OS with a few updates slapped onto it, maintained by 15 people AT MOST at the time and it was still a juggernaut by the end of 2009.

Then in 2010, shit hit the fan. Microsoft released the Kinect. It was actually very successful in the U.S. But the reality was, it was shit and a stupid gimmic fad that died down after a couple of years.

They then released that godawful thing called the Kin. Google it. Absolute disaster. No one fucking wanted it. Immediately upon launch it was a universal failure. And you know what M$ did after that? Doubled down on it and released Windows iPhone 7 which was basically a remodified version of the Kin OS. Garbage.

They then opened Microsoft stores. I went to one when it opened up. Overpriced shit. Basically a Best Buy at the mall.

They NEVER recovered after this. Only thing they did moderately right was the Surface Pro product line. Windows 8, 10, Xbone, silverlight are consistent failures that clearly shows this company is moving in the wrong direction despite the removal of Ballmer.

Other urls found in this thread:

who.int/water_sanitation_health/monitoring/jmp2012/fast_facts/en/
youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
youtube.com/watch?v=GEpJdHS1pV0
investorplace.com/2016/01/msft-microsoft-stock-satya-nadella/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Letter_to_Hobbyists
quaoar.ww7.be/ms_fud_of_the_year/569458-microsoft-attack-linux-retail-level-probably.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They're so fucking shit nowadays that shoving their excrement products down people's throats seems to be their only option

That sounds about right. Nutella is going to drive MS into the ground with his obsession of unifying phones and desktops into a single OS. I get that it sounds like a good idea on paper, but nobody really wants it. They're alienating their existing loyal customers with the way they're pushing the Windows 10 upgrade. Consumers and IT people alike are turning on them.

I mean, every era is going to end some time. We're watching the end of MS's era. Ballmer will get his "I told you so".

>2007
>Own a Dell Axim X51 PDA
>One of the best Windows Mobile devices out there
>Software is a disgrace
>Browsing sucks ass
>Even relatively basic things like email are garbage
>Watching a Youtube video is a convoluted mess of a process
>iPhone announced
>Browsing is amazing in comparison
>Email is beautiful and desktop like
>Youtube/video apps
>Microsoft sticks with this garbage software for a few more years
>Allows Android to take over their traditional PC customer in the smartphone industry
>Tablets and smartphone begin to slowly erode notebook and desktop purchase/use

It's pretty much the iPhone and their inability to get the smartphone market that will kill them.

>you have been scroogled
>starts scroogling

>wants to introducd drm to xbox
>playstation wins

>introduces gfwl
>gfwl ends

>turns the hotmail brand into outlook
>gets rid of custom domain support
>but you get infinite storage space (which is 5gb), more than Google

>subscription based word editors

>buys a popular brandable phone company and then does nothing with it

>introduces a spy OS after snowden
>force it on your clients breaking compatibility

>give people 15 to 30gb free one drive storage space
>just kidding

Enjoy your Windows

Meanwhile shit like paint is still shit after 20 years. Media players and peoples favorite games have to be bought seperately from their OS. Notepad still has no proper coding language markup. What the fuck are they offering people?

They're completely ignoring the mini PC surge too. As conventional desktops die in favor of tablets, Chromebooks and mini PCs will eventually take over due to their competitive price and space consumption.

I think Microsoft needs to focus more on making their OS slimmer or else Linux will overtake them in an already dying market. I can foresee VESA mountable computers like the NUC being the future productive PC in both the home and the workplace, and if Android/Linux gain a hold there, Windows could be in jeopardy and its usage would be limited to professionals(who could easily use Macs) or hobbyists(gamers).

You have such tunnel vision it's not even funny.

Remember Bill Gates said there was nothing about the iPad he/Microsoft were envious about? Now they are seen as the laughing stock for that comment but for the wrong reasons. They wrongly assumed consumers wouldn't want a locked down piece of shit iPad that is one step up from these v-tec computers you could buy for kids.

From mistakes like this Microsoft realised that consumer computing wasn't going to stay the way it was and so since 2010 they have been moving to preempt that to ensure they stay relevant. They are producing shit like windows 10 to try best maintain their position in the consumer market while simultaneously moving business to the likes of office 365 and Azure. In otherwords, moving to stay relevant. They don't really care that this pisses off the 5% like you in the process (especially given that the particular 5% are the same ones who know how to pirate software and so don't even pay for what they get). This is exactly like IBM in the 2000's. They saw the end of what was their core business, and realigned to stay relevant safeguarding their dominant position.

Grow up and get over it. If you have a problem with it then move on to Linux where you won't be taken along for the consumerist ride. Otherwise stfu.

>scroogled
Jesus I remember that shit. What the fuck were they thinking? I could understand how the sheer stupidity of that campaign would cause someone to get a Chromebook.

Apple can swoop in and take over the professional market any day now.

>buys a popular brandable phone company and then does nothing with it

more like

>Sends a Canadian trojan horse named Elop to destroy the worlds largest phone company
>Succeeds
>Stock prices sink after new Windows Nokia phones
>M$ buys company

Why are the Finns such cucks and allowed this to happen? It was so obvious from the start. Maybe if WP7 succeeded, this would've been brushed aside, but the buyout proves this whole rumor to be obvious and the Finns should've stopped the buyout.

Nokia had such potential. They should've pushed their Meego OS and developed it further. It was SUPERIOR to android in every way. Oh No! Its UI wasn't that great? So fucking what. Elop gave it 0 thought, 0 time to develop or grow. And yet it probably had more apps in its first few months than M$ was able to conjure up in the years it had its Windows iOS.

Fuck google and fuck android. Android was never meant to be our primary phone OS. It was just a shitty experimental hobbyist OS meant to show off to dumb venture capitalists and companies. Google is in no way capable of handling an OS and again and again we see the failings of android on every level to this day. Microsoft made this happen and it cost us all.

pic related. the N900 had pinch to zoom on a resistive touchscreen back in 2010.

I don't know, that's something that people like us want, but I don't think your average normie wants a mini PC mounted to their TV. Not when they can get a Roku for $90 or a Chromecast for $35. Plus every TV on the shelf right now does streaming.

Honestly I'm not really in touch enough to know where computing is headed among non-hobbyists. Exclude the college students, too. Why would anyone else buy even a laptop? Their phones and tablets do everything they need. Gaming is done on a console. TVs have built in streaming. I guess doing personal financial planning is still a pain in the ass on a mobile device, but I might even be wrong about that. I do it kind of old fashioned and I use a gigantic spreadsheet.

The problem is they want to copy Apple and Google without copying their philosophy.

Google offers free products aimed at providing all information you want.
Apple puts the user experience first.
Microsoft tries to.. milk existing costumers with worse products?

>Sends a Canadian trojan horse named Elop to destroy the worlds largest phone company

I literally shot chocolate milk from my nostrils and now my laptop is ruined. Thanks user. I needed that laugh.

Every single astronomical failure since 2010 has been due to this philosophy, so obviously you're wrong in that following this "wave of the future" bullshit is a lie.

How do you go from selling 20+ million phone OSs, to barely 2?
How do you go from the second highest grossing console of all time (Behind the Wii for gods sake), to dead last in the console wars?
How do you fuck up so hard on your OS, that you have to trick customers to upgrade?

Really, the Kinect was the only thing that succeeded, but that was short lived. Everything else has ended in disaster and they simply cannot pull in the same amount of money that they used to. But since they have a huge reserve of money, they don't care, especially when their stock is still going nowhere.

I unironically do personal and business finances on my phone, by updating Google Drive spreadsheets on my phone.

Microsoft is the new Xerox Parc: People are Microsoft are better at researching than making actual products.

Really. Microsoft is focusing more on cloud computing.

To add. I own a website with a friend and we both work togheter on our content in Google Drive. Its all I need.

I tried using OneDrive but it looked my a bad joke version of MS Office instead of a stand alone product.

>9gag

As someone who owned a samsung blackjack I can say Windows Mobile was a huge hunk of shit.

The only thing I like about Microsoft is that they made a great programming language, C#.

I don't think you understand every single product they've released since their "move to stay relevant" has been a flop

I used to work at Radio Shack and I'd always trick people into buying windows phones because "office and everything will work on it." They never returned them and I got MAD commission that way.

Look skiddie, it is still one of the most valuable companies in the world. They try lots of shit —they grow what takes off, they cut that which isn't. They do this to stay relevant. They tried to break into the iOS and Android monopoly, it didn't work and now they cut it. They grew office 365 despite this potentially harming their Office suit, and hey, it work, they continue to grow it. If you think your opinion on what is a wrong with Microsoft is better than their own internal opinions, then you are nothing short of deluded. Grow up and stop complaining.

I'm not sure if Microsoft has a philosofy beyond: "We need more cloud so we can have more control over our revenue stream."

Is this a real thing in India?

Ask the world health organisation. India has almost twice as many street shitters as the USA has people.

>India
>with 626 million people who practice open defecation, has more than twice the number of the next 18 countries combined;
>accounts for 90 per cent of the 692 million people in South Asia who practice open defecation;
>accounts for 59 per cent of the 1.1 billion people in the world who practice open defecation;
who.int/water_sanitation_health/monitoring/jmp2012/fast_facts/en/

The meme was actually started by Unicef.

youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU

>hating the kinect
i've never had a issue with the kinect

I mean I respect other cultures but that's just disgusting

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

youtube.com/watch?v=GEpJdHS1pV0

>How do you go from the second highest grossing console of all time (Behind the Wii for gods sake), to dead last in the console wars?

Sega might know.

>It now runs slower because of all the service packs and update bloat.
Then remove the fucking bloat and reinstall to an SSD.

>maintained by 15 people AT MOST at the time
It's easy to make a rock-solid product when there is good communication between the people behind it.

I don't think you have a point beyond Microsoft is destroying Windows but I don't want to move. Probably because you're a gaymen skiddie.

Azure is a turd compared to AWS, and has a tiny market share in what is essentially a commodity space. The only reason to go Azure is if you're a .net shop and can't run screaming from that shitpile of a framework for some reason. It's weird to think that MS is getting their shit pushed in by what was originally an online bookstore.

Nokia should have evolved Symbian. I used to use the last Symbian phone, an 808, and with just a little more polish, it would have been fantastic. The UI was smooth, battery life was great, and it didn't need 3GB of RAM and a Core2Duo-class CPU to get there.

But due to politics and godawful project management, Symbian wasn't able to evolve fast enough, Meego was moribund, and I think that there were a lot of people in the company who wanted to dump the cellphone business. Remember, Nokia made its money on dumping shitty low margin commodity phones on developing countries, and they knew that they'd get assraped by China sooner or later. On the high end, they'd already lost to Apple. There was really nowhere for their phone business to go.

I suspect that tanking the phone business and dumping the remains on someone was the desired outcome for a lot of people at Nokia, while MS was desperate for a way back into the phone biz, and Elop was a handy dandy gobetween and scapegoat. So they got what they wanted. But Nokia's telecom equipment business (after buying Alcatel-Lucent) isn't doing so great either, and their patent licensing business is taking a shit. The whole mobile telco market has gone to shit. Even Apple is having a rough time of it lately, and they're the only ones making decent profits in the phone biz.

>M$
i'm no fan of microsoft, but don't be that annoying faggot, OP.

Around the time they started pushing this crap. They seem to use the Xbox platform to test what kinds of BS normies are willing to put up with.

I like Microsoft because it researches everything as long as they're about not hardware. I think Microsoft will make a Linux distro and an Android-based operating system in the near future.

So Microsoft's future will likely be Linux as long as Satya is the CEO.

I was expecting more from microsoft with windows 10. All they did was add a fucking voice assistant on desktop, a start menu that you can't even edit the fucking list, a UI that's cannot be personalized at all, only colors, and locked-botnet piece of shit store. Even after fucking 15 years they are still using the garbage NTFS that needs defragmentation on HDDs, and I don't know if they changed the NT kernel but it looks like a broken mess with ductape on it.

M$ is already dead

young people buy macbooks and chromebooks

normies buy iphones and samsung galaxies

gamers buy playstations

when the windows 95 geenration eventually dies out they'll have nobody left to milk

There's always the corporate son

they fucking love Microsoft, even though all their corporate software sucks

I'd say MS is just going to become the next IBM.

>Then in 2010, shit hit the fan. Microsoft released the Kinect
>6 years ago

I swear time passes faster and faster these days.

There are two possibilities here.
One, you're full of shit, and you're just spouting diarrhea you read on ZDNet and The Verge like every other autist with a Facebook account and 300 followed tech pages.

Two, you're actually right, and we're witnessing the death of technology as we know it. Instead of learning how to use Windows or Linux, people will just buy Chromebooks and iPhones. And nobody will learn to code, leaving us 18-25 year olds who actually bothered to read a Haskell tutorial or two to clean up the aftermath.

Microsoft went downhill the moment Billg left.

Microsoft's doing as good as ever financially under Nutella, he's doing a way better job than Ballmer as CEO. They're just not as relevant or admired(or feared) as they used to be.

when they hired a pajeet to run it

Even pajeets own kind don't think much of his leadership.

>Then in 2010, shit hit the fan. Microsoft released the Kinect.
I have seen some nice projects done with the Kinect on the computer, very useful as a rather cheap all-purpose stereo camera, used lots in universities. However, yes on the Xbox it was just a shitty gimmick
>They then released that godawful thing called the Kin.
You know I don't care a lot about a few failed devices. Every manufacturer does this.

When it hit the fan was when Win Phone 7.1 didn't get any updates anymore, when they started Win8 (which was still ok at the time), ... but they lost if for me when they continued their metro UI shit everywhere (even though people hated it, even after Win8.1 / SP1/2), useless tablets with weird and clunky UI, dropped (full OS ) ARM support, privacy failures, Windows 10... everything just more locked down and locked in instead of going the other way. I don't mean they should've open sourced everything, but a step in that direction would have been great. You don't see a lot of UI modding anymore, customization options in Win8/10 have been stripped down and replaced with stupid other things, DRM, signature checks, TPM... fuck

Win7 SP1 era was the best

epic meme bro

investorplace.com/2016/01/msft-microsoft-stock-satya-nadella/

>Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) stock is soaring on Friday, and for good reason: The software giant just put together an incredible quarter, crushing revenue and earnings estimates, largely on the strength of its successful shift to the cloud.

>The pivot to a cloud-focused model has been championed by 48-year-old CEO Satya Nadella, who is by all accounts doing a fantastic job in leading the new Microsoft.

>Nadella’s performance is in stark contrast to the prior Microsoft CEO, Steve Ballmer, who, after years of begging from investors, finally retired in 2014.

Pajeet saved M$ nigger

anybody remember Zune?

Oh yeah let's not forget the new logo

Its hardly like the glory days, Bill and Steve were just getting old and out of touch and any number of different people could have done poo in the loo's job.

>And nobody will learn to code
I've never understood why the average person should ever need to code, most people I know can't even tell you what certain buttons do on the keyboard.

>let me trivialize the people who run global multibillion dollar companies while I watched anime and masturbate all day

If anyone can do it why did they give him the job then?

> I can accurately pinpoint it to 2010
Too late.
You see, the consequences of actions are not visible immediately. MS went to shit with the release of Windows Vista. Remember when there was people who could disassemble SimSity only to develop a workaround for a new Windows? Since Vista, it's a merry-go-round of new frameworks, designs and patterns, developed and deprecated every few years. What's worse, they aren't ashamed to break the compatibility between them - if you need the old stuff, you can go fuck yourself. This is Apple way - and Apple is not very good in terms of hardware support or market share.

Because he actually went [spoiler]poo in the loo.[/spoiler] This was a great achievement for him.

Bro no tech or software company is as powerful or dominant as Microsoft was in the "glory days". Nobody could hold a candle to them at the time and if they set their sights on any competitor they would be toast within a year or so. Moreover, Microsoft was never known for developing quality products or anything of the sort. Their business strategy was always target an industry, and then push relentlessly and abuse their OS dominance until they became the market leader. I don't think the kind of environment exists in the tech industry now for any company to be like that.

Even Apple today has Google keeping them in check. MS had no one.

When they decided to sabotage Nokia. Karma is has been destroying them since.

I still use the 808 as my primary device.

If there is any MS employee lurking recommend this to your bosses and collect bonus:

1. Either kill WinPhone or apply new strategy to it. My advice: Sell like Xiaomi - on shit markets with no profit margins, until you fill every single poo in loo, chink, eastern european, southern american with winphone. AFTER that you make flagships.

2. Mini pcs, like rPi. people WANT a pc a size of a cigar pack suitable as a desktop replacement. There is NO both cheap (

>1. Either kill WinPhone or apply new strategy to it. My advice: Sell like Xiaomi - on shit markets with no profit margins, until you fill every single poo in loo, chink, eastern european, southern american with winphone. AFTER that you make flagships.

they don't need to stoop that low

all they have to do is make ALL android apps work on winphones and invent a gimmick that will make people buy them

What are you talking about? From the moment bill gates was in university his world view was shit and only shit.

>they don't need to stoop that low

Why does people think that's a bad marketing move?

Those people really do need relatively quality, cheap devices. Xiaomi is providing just that. It could have been MS. Now imagine 2-3 billion people who take MS smartphone as default goto smartphone. Poor people generate A LOT of buzz on the internet, exactly because they don't have money for anything else in life. And those people can be turned into a real shill army. Hell, i shill for Xiaomi and i don't even have their smartphone

Now after they populate and fill their market with winphones they implement a "premium" device which is like only 50-100$ more expensive than their cheapest one, something like mi4 compared to redmi. That's how you drain every penny from the shit world. And then you release REAL premium device - something whole 2-3 billion users will dream to have

Of course, I'm writing this as an advice what MS should do, not ANY other company.

Because, let's face it, MS is a company that makes things for general people. No one ever felt special for having something with MS logo on it. That's why they failed with premium Winphones. They have a name that's not screaming "i'm special" to other richfag kids.

That same name would also be a marketing spear to pierce cheat markets. Everyone would rather buy MS cheap smartphone than Xiaoimi one. Ok, maybe not after this suicide MS is doing with w10, but still, lets forget that for a second

bill did shitload of times more things than any other after him in microsoft

>And nobody will learn to code, leaving us 18-25 year olds who actually bothered to read a Haskell tutorial or two to clean up the aftermath.
Isn't that good though...? Because it means there's more jobs and higher pay for us.

If that was his goal, he failed spectacularly. He provided a free out for Nokia to ditch their rapidly declining smartphone business. A free out at a pretty high price for Microsoft. Remember Siemens or Ericsson? Massive companies that failed to keep up with the market and spent years mopping up the blood of their mobile handset divisions with good money. They would have killed for that sort of opportunity.

Hell, Sony and HTC would still kill for that sort of offer.

If Microsoft wants to be relevant again, then it would have to follow Google's path by releasing a Linux distribution.

win7 was good after vista's fail

>It now runs slower because of all the service packs and update bloat.
7 runs fine for me.

What's so worrying is that they still make a fuckton of money? How? Are business so fucking stupid that they order tons of MS licenses? I haven't bought anything MS since... ever

>OP
>not be an annoying faggot

I don't see what's wrong with this when everyone else does it or gets left behind

>Haskell
>relevant

>At what point did Microsoft go downhill?

>At what point did Microsoft go downhill?

1989, for getting rid of a competent Unix operating system, Xenix.

Here in the Netherlands I see normies and companies literally being afraid to use Windows 10.

If they dont address this privacy issue it's only waiting for a competitor to swoop in and take over their market.

Bill Gates was quite the asshole in his time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Letter_to_Hobbyists

quaoar.ww7.be/ms_fud_of_the_year/569458-microsoft-attack-linux-retail-level-probably.html

On the other side there's a lot of windows phone shills, Microsoft shills, "businessman" shills, and a lot people depend on word and excel bestanden for hun job.

MS winhpone really did have a lot of shills but note how they all disappeared lately, even on Sup Forums. It's like they all realized they are in the losing battle.

I personally would love to use Winphone, i don't even care about lack of apps. I only need secure, non-spying phone that's updated regularly, is that much to ask?

Non-spying.
Might not want to use any Microsoft product. Fix your own shit.

>I only need secure, non-spying phone that's updated regularly, is that much to ask?

Yes, when our personal info is itself an asset to the corporation.

That's my biggest problem with MS - the direction which they took as a company. They are literally google-tier, but with way shittier marketing.

I don't fucking want my personal shit recorded anywhere, nobody does, how is that hard to understand? But i guess they collected every dollar on everything else, now it's only remaining to start getting dollars on ourselves

Thats ironic considering Google, Apple and every other company spy on you just as much

>mfw normies dont know about prism

Exactly. It was a POS in every way.

Windows 7 was last good os. So sometime after 2009 is when things turned to shit. I like 7, no damn windows store bs, an interface I can use with out much hassle, my classic windows games, etc. etc. A nice clean os that is what it is and nothing else. You know how they went from windows 95 - 2000 but the interface/gui stayed roughly the same? Well they should have done the same thing with Win 7 and all it's successors. Kept the same basic layout but add support for new hardware and fix any bugs. If it ain't broke (gui) then leave it be. Maybe things would be different if MS had done things like that. I will use Win 7 and Server 2008R2 on all my pc's/server's till I have no choice as in when a mobo dies or something serious fails.

>Server 2008R2
Why so?

How's server2012R2?

What do you think Server2016 will look like?

It literally does. When you were 5, a year was 1/5 of your life. When you were twelve, it was only a 1/12. Now you're in your twenties (probably), so it's getting smaller and smaller.

And you're still shitposting on Sup Forums.

they failed when the ipad was launched

wiindows mobile 6 was the worst experience I have ever had from technology - they made a phone virtually unuseable, it took minutes to boot, before you could even make a call. House burning down, heart attack, dying --
Edison would have been disgusted. They regressed the telephone

ms good OSes : win 7, win xp

next AOL

are you crazy? microsoft was downhill since windows 95. 95 was the last windows version that made meaningful improvements to the way the UI functioned. alt+tab. taskbar. start menu. system tray. fucking revolutionary.

they released a few decent operating systems (e.g. windows 2000) since but nothing spectacular. windows XP was ugly and bloated for the time. vista was undercooked. 7 was just a re-release of vista, but after computer hardware had caught up.

all of the talented people who worked at microsoft left the company during ballmer's tenure as CEO, and it's his fault, he sucked

i hate to break it to you, but if you think windows 7 was the last good microsoft OS then you are fucking underage :)

zune, winrt , surface, vista
why exactly did they murder windows 7
they're out of mobile so their "mobile interface" (metro) etc .. what's it for now

I'm gonna stick my next out here and say ... the day they started asking users to register Windows XP online. That to me was the beginning of the end of M$.

> The problem is they want to copy Apple and Google without copying their philosophy.

or quality