/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

minidisc.com.au/headphones-earphones/headphones-for-android-devices/hifiman-re400a-inline-control-earphone-p-1100871.html
schiit.com/products/vali-2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is there a guide on eq'ing with using sine tones? I don't want to buy Sonarworks. But I will if I can't figure out how to eq.

Here I thought you couldn't top the Abyss for awkward, uncomfortable and silly looking headphones.

W2C?

Those wacky Japanese.

Tax form?

You need logarithmic sine sweep tones to listen through and use a parametric equalizer to correct the response. Listen for the change in volume aka the sine sweep tone getting louder or quieter as the pitch goes up. When you hear a change in the volume, you apply EQ to counter it. You listen through the sine sweep tones again and see if your EQ fixed it. If not, you adjust the EQ filter. If it did, you move on and do it to the entire frequency response spectrum you hear. We can help out with other details here if you ask.

You have to import from anime

>$100
>USA
>Notebook
>Full size
>High comfort. Cloth padding preferred over sweaty leather.
>Best headphones in the budget for music and gaming. Better if it blocks external sound.

>tfw leather makes me sweat way less

>Better if it blocks external sound.

Closed cans will help there, but for gaming they aren't as good as open. Even isolation (which isn't the same as closed headphones) doesn't block out most noise, it's useful for environments with constant noise or hum like engines.

>$100
Sennheiser hd558 or audio technica ath-ad700

>for gaming they aren't as good as open

I've heard people say this a lot, but why is that?

>30$ or less
>Germany
>lenovo s90 saving for a HTC 10
>just want a durable one with decent sound ad comfort
>In ear buds
>i will use it for running and Gym
i am thinking of getting a GOgroove RNF or a MEE Audio M6

>50$
>Germany
>gaming PC
>over the ear
>and something that can survive a fall or two and have good sound quality of course
>previous Headphones: Sennheiser 205 HD and Fatality gaming headset
thinking of getting a sennheiser HD 201

>$400 or less
>US
>Zune
>Something like the UE TF10
I'm not really knowledgeable about this but I like the TF10. Is the 900s a good upgrade or are there better cheaper alternatives?

I always had the feeling Frankenstein's monster would feel right at home with the Abyss.

>Budget
$100 or so
>Location
Australia
>Source
Android Phone
>Preferred type of headphone
IEM with microphone
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Preferred music
Video game soundtracks, metal
>Past headphones
Sony EX51. Best ever, pic related.
SoundMagic E10s. OK, not great.
Senn CX200. Muffled sound, complete shit.

Save a bit more for RE400A

Thank you, I had not heard of these before.

>Save a bit more
Aren't RE400 in the

Price markup
minidisc.com.au/headphones-earphones/headphones-for-android-devices/hifiman-re400a-inline-control-earphone-p-1100871.html

>Budget
$100 - $130 NZD. So like $60 - $90 USD

>Location
New Zealand
>pricespy.co.nz
NZ's price searching site,

>Source
My phone (Xperia Z5)

IEM's

>Comfort level
Comfort > Sound

>Preferred music
Rock/Indie Rock
Hip Hop

>Past headphones
Using Apple ear pods right now. They don't work with my phone properly so I am looking for an upgrade. I'm not very picky at all.

i suggest the Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision
it's 54 on pricespy and it should be good

>Budget
600-800 SEK.
>Location
Sweden.
>Source
Sansa Clip.
IEMs
>Comfort level
Preferably comfy, will be used in bed.
>Preferred tonal balance
Whatever works best for voices.
>Preferred music
Any and all.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

>Budget
>Source
PC
isolating
>Comfort level
3 hours of use
>Preferred music
metal, deep bass
>Past headphones
I fell for the fostex meme. They are far too neutral for what I want

Hi /hpg/, looking for a closed can to complement my hd600 for fun

DT-770's or the fostex thx-00's? Pretty sure the 770's are going to be a lot more comfortable but I'm a bit scared of beyers remorse and the notorious treble they have, supposedly the fostexes sound a lot better and don't suffer from that problem...but they cost over twice as much. Are there any other superior closed competitors in the 150-400 USD price range?

A question please. Should I buy a dedicated music player or an amp or a dac for my phone?
My headphones are a M50 and a SR80i (if it can still be called one).

I love Urabanears' looks.

Are there any good Sup Forums approved models by them or are they hipster fashionable shit?

Looking for some neutral or V-shaped closed back headphones for portable use in the 300 dollars range. Maybe something similar to my K550's but that isn't a pain in the ass to lug around outside.
I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technica MSR7 or the Sennheiser HD25-II but I'm open to other suggestions
Source will be my iPod Touch 6

Looks like fucking garbage may as well buy a pair of beats and get a cuck t-shirt to go with them

Depends on your phone, but with those headphones I'd say no. Unless your built in DAC is really fucking shit.

just scored these for 2 bux
took 5 minutes eachs side to replace the foam

>Budget
$100~150
>Location
Hungary
>Source
Android Phone, Laptop
Open or closed
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Preferred music
Weeab shit, rock, classicals.
>Past headphones
Apple ear pods.

did you like how the earpods sounded?

HD598 on "sale" from $245 to their 'murrican price of $130, should I buy?
Also, HD558 on sale on amazon 'murrica, so you know.

sorry about the late reply, I thought didn't think they sounded too bright, I'd say the treble is a bit neutral and clear so it's pretty non-fatiguing. You're going to want an amp if you want the best sound though

They sounded OK.
They hurt my ears so I'd prefer a headphone.

Where were you when AKG destroyed their competitors once again?

$50 558s arrived.

They sound a bit more laid back than I remember 555s being. The bass overpowers things slightly but it's not huge like for the HE-400. The mids are just very slightly covered by the bass compared to ER-4, which really did have no bass by comparison.

Just my immediate impressions within the first 5 minutes.

555 might have slightly better FR balance, but it's close. They can definitely be listened to for much longer periods as a result of the sound signature.

Even for open headphones, they leak sound like mad. If I put them five feet away I can hear lyrics just as well as if I'm listening to them, and I'm not listening at particularly loud volume. Or maybe Etymotic just made me misremember. Actually, listening to a different song I can't hear them at all from a foot away. It really just depends on the track, I suppose.

I admit that everything sounds slightly underwater.

>The bass overpowers things slightly but it's not huge like for the HE-400. The mids are just very slightly covered by the bass compared to ER-4, which really did have no bass by comparison.
This may be an effect of the high impedance output of your source. HD558 shouldn't sound this bassy, normally.
> Actually, listening to a different song I can't hear them at all from a foot away. It really just depends on the track, I suppose.
Lol what am I reading?? It's due to the different volume of the tracks, dude. When you listened to the first track, the volume was too high. Even if it's an open headphone, the lyrics shouldn't be easy to understand from the outside at a safe listening volume.
>I admit that everything sounds slightly underwater.
Open Sennheiser's classic sound signature. Now you can understand what people mean by Sennheiser's veil.

It wasn't purely a volume thing. It had to do with the frequencies too. They were from different genres and one was a very high pitched anime-ish Asian pop song while the other was slow, bassy and subdued. I guarantee volume didn't have as much of an impact. I tried that first because that was my immediate thought too.

>impedance/source/bass
Quite possibly. I'm listening from a computer monitor plugged into a laptop for now. I felt the 555s had a decent bit of bass too, to be fair, just not (quite) as much.

>veil
I know, but I never heard it before. Now I can hear it only in comparison to the ER-4 which didn't obscure much due to nobass and a relatively balanced sound signature from there.

I'm talking an awful lot of trash about it but the truth is I bought it because I loved the 555 sound signature and this sounds very similar. I'm just being critical but I'm pretty satisfied with it and give it a general thumbs up, especially for this price. I don't think I would recommend it if it was around $120 or higher.

>Budget
Around $100, might be a bit flexible.
>Location
Canada
>Source
My desktop PC
Around-ear
>Open or Closed
Closed, it's not that important if it doesn't block outside noise though
>Comfort level
Higher comfort, gonna be wearing them for long periods of time
>Tonal balance
I would think neutral.
>Preferred music
Rock, weeb shit, techno
>Past headphones
Turtle Beach X12s - Decent, but not particularly great in any aspect.

nvx-xpt 100's

takstar pro-80s with hm 5 pads

a used beyerdynamic dt770 is going to be the best bang for your buck but will be slightly above 100 canuck dollars if you shop around for used/open box

pro 80s are out of production, hyperx clouds are the new pro 80s now

What's a good budget USB dac-amp? Preferably one with a mic jack

Yeah, couldn't find those pro-80s. I've been browsing on amazon mostly and those dt770s are pretty pricey ($160) over on canuck amazon, though they look really nice.
So far NVX-XPT100s are looking like a good choice, unless there is a good Sup Forums approved shopping location with cheaper dt770.

If you don't need isolation, go for an open headphone. For your budget I can suggest either Philips SHP9500 or Sennheiser HD518 or AKG K240.
Closed headphones: Sony MDR7506 or AKG K92.

I don't really need outside noise blocked, but I don't want sound leaking out, if that makes sense. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terms, but don't open headphones tend to leak more sound?
Those AKGs do look pretty interesting though.

I think the xpt100s will suit you well

actually, I'd say get the brianwavz hm5 over the xpt100, the hm5 is a bit cleaner in the midrange

Open headphones do leak sound outside, but it's not as high as you would imagine. It really depends on the place you're going to use the headphones at...

They were $99 a few weeks ago...might want to bookmark the page and keep an eye out for a drop in price.

I'm using them in a room that is often to myself, but sometimes I have a family member using their computer for work so I don't want them to be disturbed.

I'm in mootxico, and they're normally at around $250 over here, so it's already a 50% "discount".

>Even for open headphones, they leak sound like mad.

I have Sonys MDR-MA900 and i can use them as speaker if i want.

Any help with this?

Mexican amazon is having a huge sale in a week or so, might want to wait and see if it goes cheaper or a better pair goes for the same price.
I've seen the 598 go for as low as 2000 pesos, and they're 2300 right now.
That's what I'm doing. Hoping to score something good for cheap

Open headphones help simulate being in a larger area, and thus more in the environment of the game. Closed headphones make it seam like the game is taking place in a shower or closet.

should I get a denon d2000? they're pretty cheap used.

m6

668b

hp50, msr7, mad dog

the sennheiser or maybe an m100

do the foam mod. the 558 sounds muffled and congested without.

nothing with just a straight up headset jack. fiio e10 is the budget standard, but if you want something with powered mic inputs for a real mic the scarlet 212 is cheap.

Any info on why you'd pick the HD25 over the MSR7?
The M100 are considerably more expensive here (Mexico)

I have had mine for about 7 years now.

it's closer to v-shaped, on the bassy side. msr7 is cold, a bit on the bright side of neutral. maybe an m50x is portable enough for you? those might be the best. but the hd25 is notoriously sturdy so for portable use they should hold up well.

the monitor looks like the best one but the used prices are higher than they used to be and I heard you need a pretty powerful amp, all I have is an e10.

schiit.com/products/vali-2
I have this one. Pretty satisfied, I also have a mixer in my chain because I have a second PC for Ableton.

I have a lot of headphones, I don't see myself buying a new amp just to satisfy my curiosity, since there are many other on my list that aren't as hungry.

Good point, but I have always had these headphones and I really, really don't want to change them out.

maybe I'll just look at the wiki and try to do the math. my most hungry headphone is my mad dog and I can get it damn loud on "level 2" of my e10, so maybe I will be fine with those since I don't listen very loud.

is the k812 an upgrade over the k712 pro?

>Budget
Firm $250
>Location
America
>Source
PC via mixer, phone, guitar via mixer, Xbox (360 and 1)
Over ear
>Open or closed
Hybrid (simi-open)
>Comfort level
Marathon session level
>Preferred tonal balance
Relatively flat with a slightly lifted base
>Preferred music
Electronic, rock, doujin, game and movie soundtracks
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-EX71 (current) iem's
Triton kuini (will never get tritons again)
Seinhauser hd500 (still have and still work [my fall back headphones])
Crap ear buds

no it's a straight downgrade

why?

because the k812 are bad headphones. excluding ultrasone they are the worst flagship headphones on the market

I'm considering that Seinheiser if I were to go open, but how bad is the sound leakage?
Also, would the Turtle Beach X12 be considered Open or Closed, because there is minor leakage on these but it's fine.

hd600/650 wait for a sale or used. if you can go closed hp50 is pretty much what you're looking for sig wise

bad, but if you can get a 558 it's one of the best buys you can make in that budget range.

Is the 500>600 jump worth it or are the 500s close enough to not warrant it?

>£60
>United Kingdom
>Computer
>Full size
>Closed
>High comfort level
>Neutral
>Sennheiser: HD 202s, HD 419, Koss Portapros for casual use

I would assume so since the only thing I can find is the 500a which is a pretty old headphone. the 600 is considered by most to be their best headphone outside of the hd800 and orpheus. the 598 to the 600 isn't that big of a jump but if the 500 is anything the the 518 or lower-tier sennheisers the jump should be considerable.

I guess '04-'05 is old now... Guess they are 10+ years old...

Okay, so I have a pair of HD 598's and they sound really good, but sometimes when I'm listening to music with really thumpy bass and screeching treble, the higher frequencies sound like they're getting sliced, is this le viel meme xD?

I fucking love my k712's, they're basically the 'fun' 702's.

My brother just bought a pair of x2's and he's happy with them as his end game along with his o2 amp. The x2s have a little bit too much bass for me in general but they do have nice detail and sound stage to go along with the niggerbass.which is interesting. The build quality and design on those things are very nice.

I don't know what they are lad but for '2 bux' that box alone is worth it

I love akg but what ae these?. Ifind it hard to tell between the absolute sit and high end when it comes to akg.

The in between aka great affordable headphones are obvious thoug.

what do you mean by "sliced"?

They're like 60$ closed backs
Might be a poor man's K553 pro

The higher frequencies buzz, kind of like an overdriven amplifier creating distortion.

What are the best pair of headphones I can possibly buy?

SHP9500.

Beats Studio Wireless

T50RP Mk.3

Porta Pro

have you considered that it might actually be distortion?
what did you plug them in to?

Which one do I get?

Guys my pistons are getting kinda old, what should I replace them with?
Also, been a while since I've posted :3c

You post on Sup Forums? Since when dude?

also

wtf?

upgrading from fiio e10k to o2 amp a meme or not? will I notice a difference? Dt880 600 ohm

Yah I have like 8k tripped posts on Sup Forums, been here fur years and years.
What is wtf?

He comes to shitpost his furry garbage and DT770s all the time. Also remember that time he got scammed from an ebay seller? That was hilarious.

I got my money back, I knew I would as long as PayPal is involved.
If it wasn't a paypal transaction I wouldn't have even tried lol.
But yeah check out my waifu

I was wondering what those abominations you call earbuds in your lap.
No, no I don't. I rarely come to this board.