/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/draios/falco
freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/explaining-bsd/comparing-bsd-and-linux.html
freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/comparing_linux_and_freebsd
code.snipcademy.com/tutorials/linux-command-line#basic-commands
alternativeto.net/software/anki/?license=opensource&platform=linux
gnu.org/philosophy/ubuntu-spyware.en.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Let's not worship the false god

is he whistling at a moth?

How come every time I try to install a distro the installer wants internet access, but I never have it?
So far I've only been able to figure out how to properly install mint because the wireless broadcom drivers are included in the live USB.
If I wanted to install a different distro how would I get the wireless drivers if internet isn't working at all?

Should I switch to Linux even if I am not pedo, terrorist or I do not have any illegal data on my PC?

Let's not worship software developpers/activists as though they were gods.

Why do you think it would be a good idea to use linux if you're a pedo/terrorsit/have illegal stuff on your PC?

Depends which distro, they should have some documentation about how to load firmware needed. Debian does, although I couldn't get it to work last time I tried, some just work like manjaro, and some are easy enough with loads of documentation like arch, gentoo.

No. You can leave now.

Which distro do you want to install?
Usually, the distros have an online wiki with information on how to troubleshoot such problems.

let's not restrict ourselves to one god. Polytheism is way more fun because you're gods get to have fights, and sex, and stuff. Monotheism ends up with schizo gods (witness the christian trinity, in which god is three different entities).

your*
and stop this bullshit, there's only one god, and it's God.

Based pragmatist.

So this isn't uncommon?
I thought installing distros like Ubuntu and mint was supposed to be easy and painless but it took me like an hour to figure out how to get the wireless drivers working properly.

I originally wanted to install lubuntu. I actually think that there was a problem with how I was creating the live USB though. Missy guides said the driver was included in the USB, but whenever I opened the USB it was missing files that the guide said to go through to find the drivers.

Ethernet? I believe the intel wifi drivers are in the kernel now, also atheros drivers for usb dongles have been in there for years.
Also subnet, some people have mentioned that tethering your phone works in the installer.

>your*

moran

moron*

>inb4 taking the b8

I tried using an Ethernet cable but it didn't work.
I think there was something wrong with the cable though.

>So this isn't uncommon?
It varies but depends on your hardware. I've had the same problem where it is supposed to work and doesn't. Usually if you can connect with a cable the wifi will work once it is installed in those cases.

Because it is free as in freedom.

Since anons periodically pop up asking for hardening and whatnot advice here is a new auditing/IDS system based on sysdig: github.com/draios/falco
Probably only really appropriate on appliance servers and containers though.

You could just install it without internet, then do
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
It'll have the same effect.

if only i had this pic in

Is there a place where I can find a list of bugs from using AMD cards?

yeah, worshiping linus would be retarded, dude never got past the kernel.

I'm trying to make a keybind in openbox to execute a command that contains '&&' and because '&' is a special character for xml it sees it as an error. How do I tell it that I want to use '&' not as a special character?

I wasn't sure if this would be the right thread to ask this in, but what's the difference between Linux and BSD which is unix based?

Learn to use google

freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/explaining-bsd/comparing-bsd-and-linux.html

First time Linux user here with a fresh install of Mint.
What are some essential programs and commands I should know?

&

Essential for what?

If you're not aware of it, then it's not essential. Put in a different way: if you're not specifically looking for it, you don't need it.

You install things you need to use to do what you want to do. There's no such thing as essential programs, you have about a million already if you installed mint.

>endorsing google
freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/comparing_linux_and_freebsd

o-ok thanks guys.

useful stuff for the start man and info, aptitude, cp, mv, rm, dd, ls, cd, wget and curl, bash
read the inof or man pages for all of those by typing
man
or info

So between mint and xubuntu which is able to look the best visually easily with the most guides/tutorials to help do so

>best visually
I hope you're aware that this is very subjective and depends entirely on one's taste.

Therefore I would advice you to test both and see for yourself.

Or just kill yourself and stop asking dumbass questions like that :)

>programs and commands
>code.snipcademy.com/tutorials/linux-command-line#basic-commands

thanks

Is Netrunner good?

Thank you

Does anyone know anything similar to Anki? Preferably something simpler.

If I'm going to run a windows partition should I run 7 or 8? I've been out of the windows loop for a long time.

>Anki
alternativeto.net/software/anki/?license=opensource&platform=linux

what will you use it for?

7, the last good windows IMO

Trying to install Ubuntu on VirtualBox and it's been stuck on this for the last 30 mins (not frozen). Last thing it says in the console is ""started cleanup of temporary directories". Any ideas?

>good

I can't get an Hdmi out with Linux 4.4 and up.

Tried many OSes, on board Intel graphics, 1 or 2 year old.

I think something wrong with hdmi cable detection.

Is reporting this to the kernel's Bugzilla a good idea? What should I do?

what is the oldest GUI or TUI FLOSS file manager? is it gentoo?

mnemosyne (I haven't used it though).

I guess that should be Midnight Commander. I get reminded everyday about it's existence when I accidently type mc instead of mv.

mc

>ctrl+mouse buttons in xterm

Midnight commander:
release: 1994
Dired:
release: ca. 1974
Gentoo:
release: ?
DOS navigator:
release: 1991
xfm:
release: 2001
nautius:
release: 2001

is it possible to find out when gentoo was released?

Downloading first Linux distro

Will switch from dual boot to just Linux if I like it

have fun, remember that man is your friend and the internet helps.

gentoo was written, from scratch, by Emil Brink. The first line of code was written on May 15th, 1998. It is my first program to use the GTK+ GUI toolkit, my first program to be released under the GPL, and also my first really major Linux application. However, it is not my first program! ;^) I've been writing (increasingly complex) code for almost two decades now. I have recently finished my Master of Science degree in Computer Science and Engineering at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden.

PROTIP: man gentoo

Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.

If anyone exept me posts a reply to , I'll start posting bananas.

I have a .img file to put on a partition, how can I do that?

why do you hate ubuntu anons?

>athlon64 x2 5600
>geforce 8800 gt
>can barely browse the "modern" internet anymore

I can't really remember my Windows internet browsing experience, but was wondering if this is to be expected or is this Linux's fault?

what kind of "hardware" did you give it?

You can't be inb4 taking the b8 if you've already taken the b8, my dude

I want to run a terminal with some commands on startup (I'm just fucking around), the problem is when this is run
urxvt -e bash -c "toilet --gay -f future 'Wellcome, master.' && screenfetch && bash"
it is supposed to open up a terminal, display a message and run screenfetch, and then allow me to continue using the shell, but the screenfetch displays that whole command as the shell like this
Shell: bash c toilet --gay -f future 'Wellcome, master.' && screenfetch && bash
instead of just
Shell: bash 4.3.30

I get that this has something to do with how screenfetch detects the shell, is there a way to fix this without tinkering with the screenfetch script?

After microsoft's bs with forcing it's customers to switch to 10 I've just about had it with them. How is linux for running games? Will everything still run just right on it?

I don't. I used to not like it and still prefer the RHEL/Cent/Fedora side of the house for simplicity's sake however Cent is limited and Fedora (which is still my favorite on my laptops.) broke my shit on every update. I was just tired of having to fix it every week. Ubuntu seems to work better with my current desktop.

gnu.org/philosophy/ubuntu-spyware.en.html

outdated article
disabled by default now and will be removed in Unity 8

No. Depends on the games you play, but in general you can't expect anything to "just run" without any problems.

Put the code into your ~/.bashrc like this:
toilet --gay -f future 'Wellcome, master.'
screenfetch

Read the article faggot.

The output is fine, but I don't want to see the message every time I open a terminal, I want to put the command in my openbox autostart file, so that it is run just once at startup. Something like a splash screen.

>How is linux for running games?
Shit.
Buy a console

What I meant was that I knew that it was a b8, but I don't care anymore.

but I did
did you?
> As of March 2014 we have heard talk of a plan to change Ubuntu to remove this surveillance malfeature. I hope Ubuntu does make that change and soon, since that will vindicate free software's reputation. However, reportedly Ubuntu 14.04 in April 2014 still has the problem.
what he wrote was true in April 2014
it's not true in May 2016

the disclaimer
>Even if it were disabled by default, the feature would still be dangerous: “opt in, once and for all” for a risky practice, where the risk varies depending on details, invites carelessness.
does not make it any more current
and does not address the fact that it will be removed in the next Unity version

Because of many things:
1. Unity
2. The adware "feature" in the search
3. Bloated kernel
4. Supporting nonfree software
and many more that I don't have off the top of my head

unity

shitty distro specific patches that create shitty distro specific bugs

dubious ethics of canonical

recent cooperation with microsoft despite the fact that the "bug #1" on ubuntu bug tracker was "microsoft having monopoly in the OS market" And it was closed because we can't hurt our partners :))))

APT

What icon-theme and what cursor-theme do you use, /fglt/?
I use Moka and Breeze icons (on GNOME)

How can I find which of my installed fonts contain a specific glyph (e.g. , showing a Firefox logo here and some pronunciation sign on another box) and what gets used as a fallback font if the default one doesn't contain it?

I think this is called the "private use" section of unicode, and you should avoid it.

It seems screenfetch is parsing "ps" to get the shell. No idea to work around this, sorry.

I'd put the stuff into the ~/.bashrc file, maybe add something like if [[ -n "$SPLASH" ]]; and just export SHELL=1 if you want to see a splash, if not, don't export it.

nice s4s screenshot and thank you, have some OC.
does kekkats actually still exist?

I don't see it anyway

which DE/WM are you running?

hello friendly GNU anons

I have three hard drives on my computer
disk 1 is a windows SSD, disk 2 is a Linux SSD and disk 3 is a large media HDD

is it possible to make Linux and Windows share disk 3? currently I can't access it from the Linux install

which file system does the HDD use? depending on this you can use it.

yes, so long as it's a filesystem both systems support (so fat32, ntfs, or exfat)

In this case I know the glyph is from Font Awesome , the question is more about determining which fallback font is used and how to override it.

Another glyph often found in some fonts is , which e.g. displays the Apple logo in most of their bundled fonts.

If it has ntfs filesystem, install ntfs-3g instead of the default ntfs driver for linux,

For more information, see wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G

games available in linux runs perfectly on it.

While the artice is out of date, it doesn't lose any value. The new Microsoft partner Canonical gives a shit about freedom and Ubuntu is perverting the whole idea of GNU/Linux systems; it's teaching it's users to care about gratis software instead of free software.

The Amazon lense happening is unforgivable.
"If we can only say, “free software won't spy on you, unless it's Ubuntu,” that's much less powerful than saying, “free software won't spy on you.”"

>b-but you can turn it off
>b-but it's disabled now
usually we heard that from Windows users, nowadays also from Ubuntu users

okay thanks it's ntfs
do I just mount it or do I need to do something first?