E-readers

What is the best e-reader and why is it the Glo HD?

Kobo Touch $110
Kindle Basic $90
which one should I get?
Yes these are the best prices since shipping is not an option (shipping, tax and import cost)

Kindle Oasis

I just use my phone because I don't have autism.

Does one of them have a light? Get that one. If not, get the Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, or Nook Glowlight. Using a non-frontlit ereader in 2016 is on par with shitting in a rose bush. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

I got a kobo since it can load up more formats. Fuck walled gardens.

>tfw got a Glo HD for €70

>Fuck walled gardens

you bought an e reader

Does the resolution of the ereader actually make a difference or does it only affect viewing images and PDFs?

No, I think you do.

Kindle Oasis

I have the entry-level Kindle. I can see the pixels if I look closely under strong light, but in the general case it's not an issue at all. And I read with the smallest font setting.

I far prefer it to reading on my 300+ PPI phone, for example.

I never quite get this. Do you live in a basement or something? I have abundant sunlight in daytime and strong artificial lighting at night. One of the main reasons I got my kindle is because it looks like a printed page, reflecting light instead of emitting it.

not color?

It makes a very slight difference.
I took a graphic design class and one of the things I picked up was that text in books is printed at 300ppi. The highest-resolution Kindles and Kobos are at 300ppi. They can probably be made at higher resolutions and still look better (Compare a printed book to words on a flagship Android phone), but this is about as good as you need it.
Just get a 2nd-gen Paperwhite.
Kindles don't emit light. They have frontlights under the bezel and above the screen that diffuse light through the plastic/glass covering the screen.
The light is useful for reading in bed when trying to fall asleep and other low-light situations. The light isn't necessary, but getting an ereader without one doesn't make much sense anymore.

Frontlit ereaders don't "emit" light either. Not in the same way as LCD screens anyway. There's a layer on top that shines onto the screen, and the reflected light is what you see

Which one of these is the best if I want to pirate everything I would be reading upon it?

Fuck I just realized kobo is an anagram for book

Kobo. Kindle would require you to download Calibre and use that

Don't be cheap, buy your content. Kindle gives you rather large free samples of every book and has a very liberal refund policy, there's no excuse at all.

Kobo doesn't require Calibre but it's sure as hell convenient to use it anyway.
I do at least.

I'd buy more ebooks if they weren't as or more expensive than physical books delivered to my house.

Anyone know good sources for non-English books? Dutch, specifically.

Do any Kobo's have physical buttons on the side(s) for page turning?