Defragmentation

Why did Windows remove the only fun part of defragmenting in the recent editions?

Other urls found in this thread:

hofmannc.de/en/windows-7-defragmenter-test/benchmarks.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The previous version was even more fun, as you could see the individual blocks being transferred.
Those were the good old days.... thanks, OP.

Win 9x defrag was so much better you newfag turd

Just use Defraggler senpai

this, though the XP one was alright

3rd party tools till have it if you feel the need

>flat Metrosexual design

disgusting

My windows 7 install still, after six years, is adamant that it doesn't need defragging. Every time i analyse it, it says 2%. I've taken its word for it.

>gradients
>metro
are you retarded?
although i do agree it looks disgusting

It's because it does it automatically in the background on a scheduled basis.

Well.

That's cool.

aye, looks awful - does it's job mind you

is o&o the same folks that do/did the windows internal defrager?

Cool until you stop and think what else it has been doing in the background for years without your knowledge.

Something gay probably

What's cooler is having a filesystem that intelligently places your files so that they aren't in a position to get fragmented in the first place, and reorganises them on the disk as they are threatened to become fragmented, thus completely circumventing the issue as a whole.

It's not like anyone would make a filesystem like that and have it become popular enough to be default on pretty much every non-proprietary OS out there. Oh wait.

>is o&o the same folks that do/did the windows internal defrager?
no

Why does Wangblows still use a toy file system obsolete since 2001?

>reorganises them on the disk as they are threatened to become fragmented
how is that different from defragging?

What do the steps in the new defragger mean? Do they even have a meaning?

EXT moves files around intelligently when it writes to ensure that there is almost always adequate buffer space for any file on the disk to grow. (Not even getting into other benefits of EXT; just getting into defragging here) There are three main benefits over traditional defragging:

(1) Files need to be relocated less often, resulting in a net fewer necessary writes to maintain the disk over the course of normal use of the system.

(2) Unless the drive is practically full, no file on the system is going to be fragmented at any time, so there is no potential performance hit from hitting a fragmented file before the system has done its scheduled defrag.

(3) Fags like me can brag on Sup Forums about how much cooler it is and make fun of people using less advanced filesystems.

>early Windows days
>running defrag requires your PC to reboot into the program
>ran for like 8+ hours to defrag a 22GB hard drive
>literally had to pick a day you didn't need the computer during
>sat and watched anyway

>Not using Ultimate Defrag

>not mydefrag

Ehh, I never liked it. Doesnt give the control that Udefrag does.

Step it up.

UltraDefrag > Anything else

hofmannc.de/en/windows-7-defragmenter-test/benchmarks.html

>using the professional edition of a defrag tool

>disk speed after defragging

All defragmentation software is absolutely BASED.

>using OS that fragments
>using drives that require you to wait until platter rotates and arm swings to read

Is this the 90s? Get SSD and install gentoo

>hey look guys, i can meme too!

That's neither flat, nor metro.

It is definitely a flat design, but I don't think you understood the word metrosexual.

The ribbon is disgusting, also.

Oh my god I miss that shit. I don't know why. Waiting for your disk to defragment was terrible.