/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com/
gizmochina.com/
>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of May 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones#Under_.24200

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>Ignore the Cuckitel shills
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>user reviews 35 smartphones
drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMugiNgJ2qtYkJBY0EwQWxCbTQ/view

>Motorola's legendary RAZR flip phone is making a comeback
engadget.com/2016/05/20/moto-razr-flip-phone-teaser/

>Oneplus to ditch the invitation system for the OnePlus 3
gizmochina.com/2016/05/20/oneplus-ditches-invitation-system/

>Lumia smartphones are coming to an end, Microsoft hints
theverge.com/2016/5/18/11699766/microsoft-lumia-phone-brand

>Android Based Nokia Smartphones Are Coming soon
theverge.com/2016/5/18/11699702/nokia-is-coming-back-to-phones-and-tablets

>Google Project Ara Modular Smartphone Is Still Alive, And It's Coming Out Next Year
techtimes.com/articles/160005/20160521/google-project-ara-modular-smartphone-is-still-alive-and-its-coming-out-next-year.htm

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.in/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-Gold-32GB/dp/B01C2T6IDY
fasttech.com/products/1101/10017870/3973903-authentic-vkworld-vk6050s-5-5-ips-quad-core
en.miui.com/a-232.html?
xiaomi.eu/community/threads/xiaomi-eu-multilang-rom-for-xiaomi-mi5-unlocked-bl-only-released.31231/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Bought house, don't have enough money to let Samsung fuck my wallet with a Note 6
>Don't know what to get now

Is it a good idea to wait until September and get a Nexus 6P on the cheap? I'm also considering a chinese phone but they need to work on UK's 4GLTE bands

Which carrier?

EE

What phones have good functionality for productivity?

I know the notes stylus is popular, and Blackberry's physical keyboards used to be. But are there any other phones with that focus, or work considering?

Blackberry Priv

Call me a shill for recommending the from /g hated oukitel k6000 pro but it has a unbelievable battery life and works on your carrier. If you can wait till September consider getting the k6k premium which has 6gb ram and a helio x20. Oukitel is pretty new in the game but made a name with delivering great build quality for a low price and big batteries. Otherwise if you want a cheap /g approved phone get the redmi note 3 prime, but 4g might be incompatible.

Oh, look whose here.
>>Ignore the Cuckitel shills

Should I go for the Nexus 6P or the BlackBerry PRIV, Sup Forums?

Kek why
Ah op is a xiaomi shill faggot again. It probably won't work with your carrier but do whatever you want. Last thread it wasnt in the copy pasta and we had a nice discussion about chinkphones. Tell me one reason why oukitel is shit. They currently serve the best bang for bucks.

Neither

Why do you ONLY recommend people the K6000 every time someone asks for a phone with big battery? there are a dozenz other 6000mAh+ phones that you never mention. you are too obvious. fuck off you fucking chink.

Thoughts on the One Plus X, or any other phones that share a similar design philosophy to iPhone / OPX because I really like the aesthetics (not overcluttered like the redmi)

Only reason I don't like the One Plus X is the shit battery life.

Thanks for the alternative.

It's shit, wait for OP3.

Because leagoo serves plastic shit acer is bloated and locked down as fuck vernee doesnt have one as far as i know but tell me your alternatives im currently searching either and waiting for the k6k premium bc i dont want to get a outdated s5 with zerolemon which would lag with mm.

I don't like the 1+2 or 1+1 rounded behind design.

And i recommended xiaomi too but it probably wouldn't work with carrier but check it yourself the websites to look this up are in the op. (i know im repeating myself)

>design being your first priority when buying phones
ok fag.

To go further in detail. The dogee s6000 has 1gb ram the d6000 has even two batteries to make hotswapping possible but gets hot and has overall a poor build quality. Ah and lenovo should be avoided. Yu doesnt have a 6000 mah phone as far as is know... I cant think about more chink brands maybe more incoming. But tell me your choice ill be pleased to hear your thoughts (except of memes).

well consider the fact that i'm not trying to get a beast for a phone and all i want is a phone that has a decent battery life and can use social media

its like saying dont judge a book by its cover but if the book has a shitty fucking cover no one is going to look at it

RN3 being sold in india is actually RN3P?
amazon.in/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-Gold-32GB/dp/B01C2T6IDY
Why are chinks so confusing?

>be early 20s
>pretty behind in smartphones
>everyone has iphones, LG, Samsung, etc
>I have a fucking blackberry bold
>everyone bugging me to get a new phone just for the social apps (snapchat, tinder, instagram, etc)
>be stubborn and say no

>finally my phone breaks
>get an S7 Edge

It's like i'm seeing the light for the first time.

so what's so enlightening? I'm using a dumbphone that looks like it might finally break after 5 years and was wondering whether to just buy another one or actually try dem "smart"phones.

Ah sry i forgot the elephone p6000 pro. Which is a nice phone.

The functionality.

I used to laugh at the stupid ad about "theres an app for that!", but really, there actually fucking is.

Being able to plug a USB of torrented movies into my phone and watch it in stunning display is cool too.

I could rant on and on, but theres a lot we've been missing the fuck out on.

Why shouldnt i get the sony xperia 5x performance
When it comes out i use metro pcs

Because you're getting a mediocre high-mid tier phone for flagship money.

Honestly the only thing that comes close to a modern Z3 is a HTC 10

>Because leagoo serves plastic shit
How would you know if you never held one?
Stop making excuses. Ulefone Power, Leagoo Shark 1, THL T7, VK6050, Gionee Marathon etc. there are plenty of other options. they have very similar specs so you can't say the Oukitel is better than them.

The "superior build quality" is also BS, it's literally based on their marketing videos from youtube, which means absolutely shit.

But from Ali, it's cheaper.

I got SGS3 and want to upgrade, is Huawei G8 worth it?

Moving from a iphone 6s to join android master race. Considering getting one of these. Good move?

Not really, the aliexpress RN3P is $30 more atleast.

Huawei is for poorfags trying to justify "saving money" on an inferior product that they deem on par with everything else

Ye i dont have a lot of money, so i want sth good and cheap. Is it g8? It cost 1.2k in my country...

Is this the Pro version? how much is that in USD?

If all you're looking for is a good mid-range phone, Huawei is probably for you.

I was just shitposting, we all have our different needs in our phones.

But yes, if you're on a budget and don't care about the "latest and greatest", Huawei is the thing for you.

It's the G8, yes, and it's a large phone. But still capable nonetheless. Just don't expect anything groundbreaking and you'll be fine.

something like 170 -180

Well i just want "good" phone. But what are other options ?

Good price if it's the Pro.

>VK6050
has 1gb ram & 1GHz quad-core cpu yeah nice
>Gionee Marathon (m5)
actually pretty nice never heard about it
>THL T7
is not a 6000 mAh phone
>Leagoo Shark 1
metal frame but plastic cover but better speakers okay
>Ulefone Power
no noise cancellation meh

>The "superior build quality" is also BS
i read some reviews and they claim it's solid.

S5's and S6's have all come down dramatically in price. Same with older Iphones.

Basically, you're looking at older models of top-of-the-line phones.

Huawei is "top of the line" for midrange phones, so I'd recommend that. But I don't know your needs, what you value, etc.

But you said you had an S3. If you liked it, maybe you should just consider upgrading to an S5 or S6.

yeah only caveat is that they're selling it through flash sales only so not everybody gets one
dick move idk why they'd do that

locked down thing.
if you can afford the s7e you should get the htc10, which gives you the option to open bootloader and install a custom rom. i never had water damage on my phone if you are clumsy get the waterproof s7.

htc doesn't give a fuck about locked up bootloaders? is it as easy as the oneplus one is?

What's the nicest current 150 dollar phone around?

the warranty even covers the open bootloader.

>has 1gb ram & 1GHz quad-core cpu yeah nice
No it's not you dumbo

fasttech.com/products/1101/10017870/3973903-authentic-vkworld-vk6050s-5-5-ips-quad-core
> MTK6735 CPU / 2GB RAM
Same chip on the K4000 and K6000 you sperg

>is not a 6000 mAh phone
Good thing you shill Oukitel even for people who don't ask for a phone with a big battery.
>metal frame but plastic cover but better speakers okay
>muh metal
Enjoy your 250 gram phones.

>no noise cancellation meh
No one gives a shit, you fucking shill.

Innos Yi Luo D6000
Homtom Ht6
Doogee S6000
Doogee T6

Again, same specs as cuckitel phones, except the K6000 Pro which has the same specs as the Ulefone and Leagoo.

>i read some reviews and they claim it's solid.
That means nothing, unless you own one, stop shilling things you never used.

Is the stock S7 edge that bad that slapping a custom rom is the only way to make it usable?

Thanks for info. Well samsung-no-more at this moment. I'll give a try to huawei i think

I think that the Edge phones are silly memes. The S6 is already so thin that I accidentally tap the edges of the screen if I don't have a case. Get the regular S7 with an Otterbox or something.

god damn nigga. rocking a 1+1 right now, htc 10 is my next phone for sure now. it's essentially everything the one is right now with the extra shit we always wanted in that phone. love that even senseui is going more stock.

gonna cop that sexy black as soon as i can afford it and drop in a 128gb sd card or some shit.

>Is the stock S7 edge that bad
No, it's just old Sup Forums memes from people who never used Samsung phones since 2012.

i had a s6 and this thing was fucking shit. touchjizz is heavy customized and i had to put it on the charger as fast as possible.

>Enjoy your 250 gram phones.
i will :^)

KYS.

That's because the S6 battery is shit.

u mad bro??

Are you? you literally couldn't refute any of my points, kek.

i always talked about the k6k pro and this thing is better than more of three quarters of your phones mentioned. i like phones made of metal and not plastic i mentioned some flaws of the rest but get your leagoo or ulefone you seem to know enough to make your own decisions i dont fucking care. i laughed at your KYS it came when i expected it have a nice day.

>can't even name the SoC on his cuckitel
>gets specs wrong
>finds arbitrary shit to nitpick about other phones
>yet cuckitel is perfect, literally no issues
>keeps spamming every /spg/ and /csg/ threads with the same copypasta about the K6000 in response to every question

Retard.

>i always talked about the k6k pro and this thing is better than more of three quarters

No it's not you fucking idiot, your personal opinions are irrelevant and don't mean shit, go shill somewhere else and don't come back.

I just received a Mi5 with the global ROM.

I am planning to install a custom ROM as soon as I am able to unlock the bootloader (and also to get rid of the malware), so I want to install the original Chinese ROM.

Since the vendor could flash the phone to the global ROM with a locked bootloader, can I just flash it back to the Chinese one by putting the ROM on the device and then through System Update on the phone as described at en.miui.com/a-232.html?

Probably still need the unlock code. might wanna flash
xiaomi.eu/community/threads/xiaomi-eu-multilang-rom-for-xiaomi-mi5-unlocked-bl-only-released.31231/
when you get it

best smartphone under 4"?
>implying there is none

The lock is there to prevent ROMs that are not approved by the OEM. You should theoretically be able to flash a OEM approved ROM, but I don't know if this is actually possible. You might also end up bricking the phone, although this should be fixable.

Your best bet is to go through the hoops and get it unlocked.

>tfw went out of my way to get the MIUI style battery indicator

No.
Touchwiz is still a little bloated compared to other skins but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. You can completely debloat without rooting now, add Nova launcher and it's completely fine.
Pic related, my stock debloated S7 app drawer.

The htc 10 is probably the second best phone out there. The S7 has always on display, louder speaker, faster processor, faster and better camera, waterproof, wireless charging. Its not worth losing all that for a pajeet rom and metal that will scuff and chip.

How would I go about debloating it? Nice repeating digits sempai.

>he thinks touchjizz is just the launcher

Package Disabler Pro.
Costs about 70c or you could just find an apk somewhere.

>He didn't really read the post
You can disable the vast majority of it now, apart from the notification shade and a few minor bits and pieces. None of which affect performance.

>No it's not
It is.
i won't leave :^)

>ugly cellular and wifi icons
>pull down the notification shade and see the touchjizz!
>go into settings and see the touchjizz!

Touchwiz is still cancer, even with 4GB RAM on the S6 it still couldn't multitask as well as a Nexus 4 (2012) with 2GB RAM. Hopefully they fixed this, just because so many ignorant users are using Samshill devices.

this times 1000

Doesn't change the fact that touchwiz is still there. It infests the entire ROM, it isn't a package nor just a launcher.

>he doesn't know about Samsung's horrible RAM management

Performance IS affected by Samsung's shitty software. Don't buy Samsung.

>
>You can completely debloat without rooting now
No you can't

>Touchwiz is still cancer, even with 4GB RAM on the S6 it still couldn't multitask as well as a Nexus 4 (2012) with 2GB RAM

That's weird, my S5 is old as shit and still multitasks with ease. I don't play vidya or anything, but I have to wonder why everyone seems to be having issue with TW.

I prefer the icons over the AOSP ones, it's just a matter of personal taste.

Yes, the S6 has way overly aggressive RAM management and killed background apps way too quickly. It's fixed with the S7.
I'm coming from a Nexus 5X so I'm well aware of how stock Android works.

Who /embracedthebotnet/ here?

>Nexus5X
>Google now launcher
>Inbox
>Migrated my music to GPM with unlimited access (anything I cant find I pirate and upload)
>Uploaded my reaction folder to gDrive so I have it at all times
>All my photos are location tagged and auto-synced to Google Photos
>All my course work I do with Google Docs, slides, sheets
>Contacts, calendar, everything is now with Google
>Have like 4$ worth of Google Opinion Rewards and building
>Thinking of going back to stock rom

Naturally, I have root with adaway, but mostly I'm owned by the botnet and it feels good. I'd use Android pay if I could too.

>Tfw I even have a Chromebook

Yes, you can. If you mean completely removing the apps rather than freezing them, it has absolutely zero advantage as you're just freeing space on the system partition that you can't use for anything else.

>mfw I see someone use a screen capture I made years ago
:)

how's the battery life on the nexus 5X?

Slightly better than N5, but still horrible.

I use PureNexus +ElenentalX Kernel, so my SoT goes between 3.5-4.5

I can always get through a full day, some days I don't need to charge it.

Stock, and back at Uni, it wasn't that great

This is true.

>mfw i have easy Xposed support so I can make my icons look however I like

This is my record. Battery saver was only on once I hit 5%.

I typically get around 3 hours SoT by the time I hit 50%. This is over a 24 hour period off the charger.

For example, right now I'm at 2h11m SoT (with more time streaming music via cellular data with the screen off) at 55% and I've been off the charger for 21 hours.

This is with a few tweaks like the Elemental X kernel using the Ghostpepper preset, Amplify, Greenify with Aggressive Doze. I think the time I took these screenshots I was running stock everything except I used Doze Settings Editor to make Doze more aggressive.

Icon pack?
It's a RAM hog, I wish I could install CM.

Rondo.

Awesome thanks, how do you deal with the small icons with Nova? I have to use Touchjizz because Nova looks weird.

>Rondo.
like the bakery mashine manufactor?

That is incredible. I get 1,45 hrs around 55%.
Is there a tutorial you can link me to what you've done? I've never rooted before.

I prefer the small icons, but you can scale them up quite a lot in Nova settings if you need.

Has anybody been able to get an Xperia z3 d6603 to work on any carrier in the US?? It should work on at&t but no luck.

Why do you like the smaller ones?

I just prefer the aesthetic of smaller icons with lots of free space around them. I always adjust the DPI to make everything as small as possible while still readable.

Sup niggers, i want to gift my 13 years old brother a new phone. He currently has the iphone 4s, which he has been using for like 2 years, the retard made the mistake of upgradid the IOS and now its incredible slow.

I was lookin to buy him a phone and pay up 3500 norwegian kroner. Now there is an special going for the iphone 5s 16gb model at 3200kr, which i think its pretty gud as long as he doesnt upgrade the os. The other options are shit tier samsung phones and sony phones (low-mid range) if i can stretch to 4000kr i can get him the htc m9 (last years htc flagship).

Should i get him the m9 or the iphone 5s? He is 13, so its just gayms and snapchat/instagram.

What should i do bros?

i am going to move to another country so i can have 4g/3g bands so i can use the redmi note 3 pro, the best phone ever. bye america

I've been considering upgrading from my old Note 2 to the Nexus 5X. I'm only I light user, I use my phone to browse Sup Forums at lunch and I'll listen to some music while running. I assume with a 2700mah battery it would last all day for me.

Nexus 5X. It's idiot proof, secure and safe to update for the next couple of years.

What about the battery life?

It's okay, not great. From mostly web browsing I got 6-7 hours SoT. Little better than most 2015 flagships.