Modern text editors

What does Sup Forums think of modern text editors, like Atom / VSCode (every editor Electron based), or even Sublime or NeoVim? My only problem is that most are... well, web based and not as neat/light as vim is for example.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7t96m2ynKw0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you're putting it much more nicely than they deserve.

Sublime isn't web based.

I never said it was, nor NeoVim. I just said most modern text editors are web based. Atom, Code, Brackets...

emacs or kill yourself

Good text editors:
Nano
Sublime 2
OK Text Editors:
Vim
N++
Bad Text Editors:
Vi

i was an emacs user for a long time, before realising it was a bad idea to use a text editor that is written in (bad) lisp and that runs on a C lisp interpreter. And is a pain in the ass to setup. And doesn't really respect CUA.

>Nano

stopped reading right there

If only it had a GUI version. :^)

Good tier:

N++
Sublime

OK tier:

Nano (if you only need to edit one line)
Geany

Shit linux 80s fag tier:

Vim
Emacs

I prefer Emacs with X support.

You will like 4coder when its gonna come out then. If its as good as it says

Vim is actually used by professionals all the time. Even if they do use an IDE for most of their work, I don't know a single one who doesn't know Vim.

N++ and Sublime are webshit tier. I can tell you tried to use vim/emacs to edit a config file and it was too hard for you so you resorted to nano instead.

I'm a pleb and use gedit. Judge me.

Emacs or Emacs.app

anything else is literally a waste.

Digital Onanism.

Sublime and NeoVim are cool. Especially the latter, as it's taking a very sane and structured approach to modernizing an already great tool while giving its codebase the TLC it's needed direly for decades.

Web wrapper editors on the other hand are unilaterally garbage fires.

I use vim most of the time, but I like gedit (and pluma); their syntax highlighting and plugins are great.

I use either vim or atom. Atom is web based, but it doesn't really bother me, it's never gotten slow when using it. I do get noticeably less battery life using atom compared to vim. I'm normally plugged in so it doesn't matter.

Overall though I've been really happy with atom. I'm sure I'd like it less if I was a vim guru. Right now all the commands I use a lot in vim can be added to Atom, which isn't true of all commands.

I use Sublime for scratch code and notes, but why would I actually do any real work outside of a full-featured IDE like Visual Studio or IntelliJ?

>kde
worst than cancer

Emacs is a cts-inducing, obsolete piece of shit. Emacs users like to think they're impressing everyone with their useless macros and uncomfortable hotkeys, but all that anyone sees is a greasy autist clawing his keyboard like a parkinsons patient whenever he needs to invoke a simple command. There has never been a useful emacs plugin that goes beyond syntax highlighting. There's no reason to even begin to look at it in the first place. It won't resemble anything familiar to someone accustomed to dos-type interfaces and it sure as hell does not blend well into a unix ecosystem like vi does. I'd even use ed over emacs.

It's an opinion, that's nice for you.

>ST non-FLOSS
>shit font rendering
>KbrokenDE
wtf mate

If only I was trolling

>non FOSS

True
>shit font rendering

Not true, Qt has better font rendering than GTK

>KbrokenDE

KDE is one of the most stable DE's right now.

>Atom
>VSCode
Completly retarded concept

>Sublime
I wouldn't use it as it's non-free, but from a pragmatic point of view it seems to be the best "non crazy" editor

>neovim
Hipster version of vim. Vim talks about helping people in Uganda on the front page, neovim asks for donations so they can buy themselves $8 coffee.

This leaves vim and emacs. vim is for you if the OS is your IDE, emacs if you want everything in one place. I switch between both of them all the time, emacs feels more polished but both are great.

Ok, I'll actually give you a single honest response -- it's up to you, but please remember everyone has a different opinion and if you feel differently that's okay.

>ST non-FLOSS
Yes Sublime Text is not open-source, but I have been using this editor and even written various plugins for it for years and love it for general-text editing. Even though I am using Linux, I am completely pragmatic when choosing what software I use; I don't really follow any philosophy; I use what's best. If I were forced to use WINE to run some software I would have no problem doing so -- I am aware that there are people using Linux that think completely differently.

>shit font rendering
I'm not sure what you mean by that, the font rendering is fine to me. Sublime Text 3 might be using a different font rendering engine altogether, or maybe you simply dislike what the "Input" font looks like -- but I can guarantee you that KDE Plasma with infinality patches applied has great-looking font rendering (to me).

>KbrokenDE
It hasn't been really broken for me, just very functional. I admit that plasmashell has crashed strangely once or twice but it immediately restarts in 2 seconds without having lost any of its state (open windows, tray icon settings etc.) -- so I really don't have a problem with that.

>not Nano
?????

tfwno 64 bit edit.com

I accidentally opened a log file in Atom yesterday. Don't make the same mistake I did.

>proprietary, no free version (not even a demo)
>elitist C programmer
>faggot makes $1000/month on patreon
>shills everywhere
>windows only

>it's just a shitty version of vim or emacs

why the fuck would anyone pay for this

what KDE theme holy shit im cumming

>anything but vim
for what purpose?

All 'modern text editors' are derived from TextMate. TextMate was designed by one guy who could not keep up with adding enough features to keep everyone happy, it is still a barebones editor, so he open sourced it. Then Sublime came along and copied EVERYTHING, that includes: the hotkeys, fuzzy search, multiple cursors, code completion of variables. And then you have copycats of Sublime which are Atom, Brackets, LightTable, etc which use the same hotkeys and all the above features.

I agree on the not-open-source part. Its windows and linux iirc for now. It has good potential

Emacs was the first "non modal" text editor, then all started from it. All the editors we use today including Textmate and its sons

>Emacs was the first "non modal" text editor, then all started from it.
another lie from JewStain, you take every opportunity to bring attention to yourself, dont you Richard?

And the saddest part is that if you walked up to 90% of Atom users and asked them what Textmate is, they'd respond with a blank, confused look.

Poor textmate bro deserves more recognition than he gets.

It isn't even the GUI part. It's that it has absolutely no ability to accomplish anything. go vim

I think they're all shit.

Don't deny the truth, retard. Emacs -> first non modal editor using keyboard shortcuts (macros)

ok Richard, I think its time for you to do a clown dance for us:
youtube.com/watch?v=7t96m2ynKw0

>exmachina screenshot
nice

notepad

I can't believe there's STILL no modern version of emacs with same configuration. I use emacs all the time and probably will for the rest of my life, but god it sucks sometimes. I guess it's the same problem that stopped plan9 from taking off.

Fuck Atom, it's a total Sublime rip-off with 10% of the speed and crashes all the time.

Climacs is the closest you will get. When emacs was first being developed they were considering using Scheme instead of elisp but scheme took up too much memory so they had to fall back on elisp. 20% of emacs is coded in C because at the time there were no low level Lisps, now we have GCL and ECL, but since emacs is run by a jew it will never get updated but will just get shilled as being GOAT

I use Atom and Emacs. Atom for project based stuff because it's easier to organize large code bases and Emacs for singles files/editing over SSH.

What languages? I find that for larger projects, I definitely want an ide