OpenRC vs SystemD

OpenRC vs SystemD

Other urls found in this thread:

http.debian.net/debian/
security.debian.org/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
youtube.com/watch?v=v7mRNCsLcR4
slackware.com/security/viewer.php?l=slackware-security&y=2014&m=slackware-security.533622
freebsd.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lmao memes. I have used systemd for years and I don't give a shit on openrc.

>muh UNIX philosophy
Yeah? So why not use a true UNIX distribution?

The only thing I hate about potteringware is pulseaudio crap. It works but too much of hassle incase something breaks.

>tfw no NSA/systemDick fucking my gentoo
>that feel when sweet smell of openrc when i start up my rig

Literally no reason to not use openRC unless your distro doesn't allow it.
>b-but systemd boots faster
rc_parallel="YES"

it is apparent that you have installed Gentoo.

Even with rc_parallel="YES" systemd is faster on my machine.
That's not enough to make me switch to systemd, though.

Ok, but not everyone has the skills to go Gentoo.

By how much, one second? And then it shuts down for 90 seconds because they can't fix their stupid two year old bugs.

Installing gentoo has become very straightforward in recent years.
Anybody able to install a debian from a minimal installation medium is able to install gentoo.

bump for gentoo

I just fucked up my Debian trying to remove systemD. Any reliable ways on removing it?

until 2018, when wheezy lts ends:
deb http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main non-free contrib
deb security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy-backports main contrib non-free

So I should just use Wheezy?

Sort of, I would say there is no point on installing Arch other than practice to install Gentoo. A few extra steps and off you go.

Minimal installation is not exactly a challenge unless you do something with the partitions, in which case you pretty much should go with Gentoo if you know how to manually partition a disk.

Any good guides for installing Gentoo for dual boot? I need Winblows 7 for research purposes (rarely use windows anymore). I have installed Gentoo on my laptop but I am wondering if the process is the same.

The windows partitioner has set up around 300GB of unallocated disc space, how would I go to partition THAT area of disk?

i can't tell you what you "should" use. i'm still on wheezy, because i don't need anything newer and cba to upgrade (like windows folks still on 7).

First rule of gentoo is learn how to search that shit yourself. Not even being a dick, just saying that you're not going to find the same handholding and spoon-feeding in gentoo that you find in distros like ubuntu. If is definitely possible to dual boot windows and gentoo, now the challenge is for you to do the research and figure out how to make it work. Think of it like a game and this is the puzzle you have to solve in order to win. Seriously in the end it's much more rewarding to put in the effort and figure out things on your own. if you get hopelessly stuck THEN ask for help, but try to do it on your own first.

yeah I actually moved to BSD because systemd is shitting all over gnu/linux

doesn't the gentoo handbook have a section on repartitioning?
You'll have to read all that shit and also the GPT/UEFI/whatever parts which I never cared to read because I went the easy road of BIOS/MBR

You messed up the right ellbow..

SystemD.. wasn't this about that developper dickhead who coded in such ways that everybody should rearrange their stuff because "SystemD said so"?

I've read a thread some time ago.

>>muh UNIX philosophy
>Yeah? So why not use a true UNIX distribution?

Because they're all non-free
Why doesn't Red Hat just fork Linux and fuck off?

>skills
can't read a fucking manual?
The problem is being only source based
and when something breaks you're fucked
but at least use the right reasons to not choose gentoo

where would input this

>rc_parallel="YES"
ty senpai

bios/MBR all the way

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation

rc.conf

Which service managers have rc.conf like configuration?

And which can work with PAM and not being a dickhead like systemD?

>implying I asked to get spoonfed
Just the way, the manual seemed confusing. But I'll check it out, you're a faggot.

You should read it twice, the Gentoo manual is pretty straight forward and be ready to start reading alot of things.

OpenRC is a mysoginist system. Use SystemD. It controls everything, as we-- I mean it should.

Fuck redhat

>OpenRC vs SystemD
SysV RC or bust.

Defend BIOS all you want but MBR is rubbish. I enjoy having multiple partitions.

Why in heaven would you need more than one partition? You must be crazy and should be put away immediately.

what does linus use/prefer?

Hes like 50 now
He doesn't give a shit
So long he can pay his bills

i dont think he cares as long as it works

>Install everything on one partition
>Shit gets broken
>Need to reinstall
>Whoops there goes.my home folder
Wow its like you re a fucking noob

Well... wow. I don't know where to start. First of all I was obviously pretending to speak on Bill Gate's behalf. It was a joke on Windows' constant pulling on the market's blanket by refusing to make its boot loader recognize Linux systems. Secondly, when you reinstall an OS, you boot a live CD and back up your files. People who "accidently" delete their home folder by reinstalling their OS are perhaps one step above being brain damaged.

only reason i dont use gentoo is because i dont have time to compile every single package desu

I think he's using Fedora now

Makes sense. Fedora is a pretty good desktop distro.

Can someone post some of the USE variables in their config?

Is it supposed to be long? I got a huge list and idk if its supposed to be like that

you're too stupid to understand. Must be a faggot or nigger.

why boot up the disk and backup my file (about 1T of data) while I can put it on a seperated partition in the first place. You're just a big fat shit head stuck in his mom's basement with no job and no life, you don't have that much data, so backing up is no hassle for you. But for us, that's a problem which we can avoid just by not being stupid.

Jesus christ.

WHY DOES NO ONE ON THIS BOARD HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR

>reinstall
I thought we were talking about Linux here.

I prefer OpenRC, but I'm using systemd because I think I should learn it. I fucking hate it.

i have never seen systemd boot faster
that argument is retarded

but what about compiling user
i dont have gazillion cores

>I hate systemd so much and want people to use openrc
>Ok, how do I install gentoo?
>go fuck yourself

Gentoo and Funtoo have literally the best documented installation procedure anyone could ask for. RTFM.

na I'm good with systemd. just commenting that if you want to push the openrc meme then that might not be the way to get the most market penetration.

I personally don't care and am currently suffering with systemd.

Once it hits Debian, it's real. SystemD is on Debian, so it's real.

OpenRC is on that? Just Gentoo?

Are there any distros that use OpenRC as default option?

Welp my bad
I thought you was serious there

OpenRC.

>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

Does this also work for ubantu?

Gentoo

>And then it shuts down for 90 seconds because they can't fix their stupid two year old bugs.
This

The major blockers in rolling out Ubuntu 16.04 at our department are *three* bugs related to systemd hanging during shutdown (or timing out during shutdown).

The amount of systemd bugs we have to work around is ridiculous. Some of the systemd tools simply refuse to work as documented, too. For example, the loginctl alternative to “killall -u ” simply refuses to work sometimes, with basically no explanation. (Some processes just don't get killed)

I know that feel, and that feel is good!

Isn't OpenRC basically a sysvinit extension anyway?

Stop using Ubuntu then.

because your joke was relevant in like 2006 when everybody used windows exclusively

Feel free to test another distro. They're all garbage.

We were using Ubuntu for a few years and decided to switch to Fedora since Ubuntu was annoying us. A year later, we're now switching from Fedora back to Ubuntu again because it was significantly less stable.

But now that systemd has landed on Ubuntu as well, stability seems to have gone down as well. Maybe we will have to resurrect the good old days of using Gentoo on the workstations?

It was a fucking nightmare to maintain but at least it wasn't full of unstable public beta software. Linux desktop is in a terrible world and it's getting worse and worse with each passing year.

runit

hint hint:

youtube.com/watch?v=v7mRNCsLcR4

I followed this, couldn't have been easier.

Just curious, do they have packages for Matlab, Android Studio, IntelliJ, Mathematica etc. with automatic updates including security fixes?

slackware.com/security/viewer.php?l=slackware-security&y=2014&m=slackware-security.533622
>Slackware Security Advisory
>MD5 signatures
in 2014?! what the fuck? Are they taking tips from Mint?

>using Linux on a production workstation unironically

We have Windows pools too. Students are free to choose either. The ratio of Windows users to Linux users is about 2:1, in case you were wondering.

freebsd.org/

Feel free to try out real UNIX one day.

runit master race

Because everyone on this board is fucking autistic, haven't you learned that yet?

Only one I've tried was Android Studio, but that worked fine. I'm only vaguely aware of what Matlab and Mathematica are.

Automatic updates aren't really a thing, but you can script something. Lack of automatic updates are one of the reasons why I started using it in the first place.

The default behaviour of the package manager checks MD5 and GPG of the package before installing.

>Ubuntu 16.04
Stick to 14.04 and don't ever fucking upgrade.

>tfw ready to switch to an OpenRC based system

General rule of thumb for new Ubuntu releases: it doesn't become usable until 4-5 months after release

This used to be true in the past. Since 15.04, the general rule is "It's unstable until we get upstart back". In other words, it's fucked.

the only package that gives me a problem is Firefox, takes fucking forever

just about everything else is fairly quick though

>14.04
This one isn't exactly better. While it at least doesn't use systemd, it uses upstart which is even worse.

Upstart is basically a probabilistic init. Whether it starts your daemon or not is determined by chance more than by configuration.

Ask your company to employ a more competent sysadmin.

stuff rarely breaks, and if it does it's not likely that it has anything to do with its source based-ness

>Upstart is basically a probabilistic init. Whether it starts your daemon or not is determined by chance more than by configuration.
I've used 14.04 for quite some time on my server, I've never had issues with upstart, I actually like it. OpenRC is better though.

Why not just use BSD and render this whole argument moot?

Unless you're a child you have no excuse to stay on Linux.

>why not just use a system that has worse hardware support?
Fixed that for you.

>using Windows when you can do everything in Linux

Why not just, oh I don't know, use supported hardware?

Wow, victim blaming much?

Take your shitty memes to reddit.

But Sup Forums is the home of shitty memes.

Oh come on.
That's the limpest dick excuse and you fucking know it.

>using openrc
>using PAM
>not using a minimal slackware install with runit

And out of all the shitty memes you went for the bottom of the barrel ones.

>want to use an OS
>get hardware said OS supports
Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

>Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Yes, except BSD's hardware support is like cherrypicking, so fuck off.