/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ [Open]

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/20mm-Super-Engineer-I-Solid-Stainless-Steel-Watch-Band-Push-Button-P-/400813228564?hash=item5d52548214:g:uv0AAMXQHU1RwsFp
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S46837748#p46841639
ebay.com/itm/NUOVO-E-RARISSIMO-CITIZEN-OROLOGIO-AUTOMATICO-DIVERS-200M-UOMO-WATCH-NY2300-09G-/222122860434
m.ebay.com/itm/182132899544
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm buying one after I get paid
It seems like this is mostly an aesthetic watch, the module has a shitty timer and is relatively unintuitive.
You can't have the hourly chime without the button beep for example

>time to check the time in the dark
>pulls out phone
>slides open, time is obviously being displayed
>go to flashlight app
>turn on, there's a clock on the app
>point flashlight at my wrist
>read the time which is about 1 or 2 minutes behind

Mechanical watches sure are great

Post watches and piss water.

>check time in the dark
>the lume of the watch's hands works fine and I can instantly tell the time just by a small wrist movement

What do you guys think of large digital display like this, especially when they're a dot matrix?
I've only owned digitals with more traditional small lcd screens so I really have no idea how I feel about these

Honestly, 99% of the times I check the watch at night I don't even need lume.

Where could you be in the city/home that is absolutly pitch black?

Looks like shit

Why the fuck can't Casio put the AE1200 guts in a case like this?

My place is in the middle of nowhere, and it sucks when we're in a new moon

Because resin > metal in actual use. Also it's how they make a 10$ as good as it is.
Pulsar and Timex make metal cases though if thats what you want.

>Because resin > metal in actual use
You're going to have to explain that one.

not ashamed to say i would buy that immediately if it was produced

More shock resistant, lighter, and doesn't corrode (a cheap digital with a metal case is going to be chromed pot metal)

That watch is stainless steel though

What's the best (and cheapest) place to get a 20mm engineer bracelet for pic related?
It has to fit fat spring bars though
I know, i'm just explaining why casio uses resin.

Why would it have to fit fat springbars?

The watch uses fat ones (the same as the Seiko monster) for some reason

What about this one? Looks pretty sharp.

Talking about digitals, this one looks good, not a plastic case, but not stainless steel either, just brass.

I think Strapcode has a 20mm the ones with the 2,5mm fat Seiko springbars.

Price is subjective, but that's what it will cost for a non dogshit bracelet.

What is the cheapest Patek you can get which is simplistic yet beautiful for both leisure and business? Just curious.

Just curious, is that the Torah?
Are you an orthodox jew? Ashkenassim, mizrahim or sephardim?

Yup.

And i'm just a slav with jewish roots who moved here since life in slavistan was quite terrible.

Calatrava

It's pot metal user.
Corrodes on your wrist due to sweat and stuff
Again, resin has its merits in cheap watches

80 bucks doesn't seen that bad.
Kinda wish the chinks woupd get on the engineer meme already and drive prices down,

One could argue they did.

ebay.com/itm/20mm-Super-Engineer-I-Solid-Stainless-Steel-Watch-Band-Push-Button-P-/400813228564?hash=item5d52548214:g:uv0AAMXQHU1RwsFp

Cheapest one i could find.

Which is exactly why the casebacks are stamped sheets of stainless steel. Much cheaper than making a full case of steel, but still having a proper corrosion resistant caseback.

Just out of curiousity, how much do prices increase with micro brand watches such as Maison Celadon? I mean of course we're supposed to purchase pieces that we like instead of seeing them as investments, but do micro brands increase in price such as Rolexes and Omegas? Or do they remain/drop in value as they age? I imagine it be hard to say since if the brand dies their won't be many experts to assess the price and will judge it just by the watches value in general, right?

Whats my best option for a cheap mechanical chronograph?

3133 bruh Otherwise lot's of vintage Swiss pieces that are floating about at the same prices, but they would have a hard time to be as torture proof.

Dogshit

>how much do prices increase with micro brand watches such as Maison Celadon?

topkek

Fuk u

>literally being of no use to my question
So I'd take it by your reaction, and judging by the fact that brands such as Celadon only use SB-18 movements in them, the increase of prices are not drastic whatsoever.

I made my boss made the other day by coming into work with this watch on. She's even madder because it's one that our company sells so it's okay for me to wear it to work.

Will I ever get a F.p. journe for 3000€?

Please don't answer ;_;

What company?

That's adorable af

Buying pic related tomorrow

HSamuel - part of signet jewellers.

that would look not bad on a nato

I'm sure you can switch out for regular spring bars.

this one is nice

It's far too early to be asking that, celadon has only been around for a few years m8.

>mfw kind of want a mudman but have an autistic obsessions with moving hands
>mfw practicality is usually more important than aesthetics
B-but

There's an anadigi mudman
If you want a more premium g shock for or a mr g or mt g
If you want a more traditional style watch with all dat casio TECHNOLOGY get an Oceanus

Looking for negatives on a speedmaster: no hacking, not a chronometer, no date function, expensive without the same prestige as competitors like rolex? Anyone got any others?

Dogshit cam and lever movement to cut costs

What is the appeal to digital watches?

Get a vintage Japanese cunt and join the club. We have meetings on the first Friday of the month

Who the fuck would ever want to hang out with a fedora wearing faggot who buys vintage japanese watches and brags about it online?

Not automatic, acrylic.

>acrylic crystal
>negative

Cons: it isn't a Rolex

Pros: it went to the fucking moon cunt

They are bretty gud, just buy a used one, well worth the money. They aren't even that expensive

I wouldn't want to hang out with me either, it would be dangerous for you health

First watch into space was a Tag based on a Breitling.

First *Swiss watch

Rolex GMT has been there too. In fact, who hasn't?

Speedy pro is either hesalite or sapphire

>implying those filthy Russians have the ability to go the moon

What watch hasnt been in space though m8. The moon is the holy grail

Anyway, a speedmaster is a decent Swiss chronograph, with arguably the most interesting history ever from a wrist watch. Plus I personally think it looks very attractive

I'm not sure about the speedmaster, but there's still an accutron 214 on the moon right now.

Cool as fuck. Isn't it

What watch is going to Mars?

does anyone have these watch infographics? Would appreciate.

What topic?

general watch buying suggestions like pic related

Do you want the pictures just to add to your collection or do you need help buying a watch? Probably better off asking for suggestion from people

>Measuring capacity: 999:59'59.99"
>Low Temperature Resistant (-20 C/-4 F)
>Accuracy: +/- 15 seconds per month

B-but if I also like vintage japanese watches because they are cute and will fit my bitch wrists. But I can't freeze them in solid blocks of ice or drop them out of a 4-story (building) window and expect them to work.

NEVER!!!!!!

Easy bitches

Acrylic is a pro.

Convince me to get something other than a Breitling Navitimer. I just can't find anything I like nearly as much. I find the Rolex offerings boring. Zenith aesthetics just don't do it the same way for me.

This is now my grail.
10/10 perfect watch in everyway

Get this shitty bait out of here

well im looking for my first watch. Maby into the 350€ range. I love the seagull 1963 design with the domed crystal glass. Any suggestions?

>Convince me to get something other than a Breitling Navitimer.
It's a Breitling. That's even shittier than Hublot.
Lurk more in Zenith catalog, I bet you'll find something way better.

10/10??
Do tell.

I remember lawyeranon mentioning a journe somewhat similar to the chronometre bleu for around 5-6k, but it was limited edition. No idea if they're still available though.

Haha, what do you do to require such ruggedness?

Omega speedmaster, Rolex submariner, gmt and explorer, Tudor pelagos there is heaps m8

Have a look at some seikos, sarg series, sarb series, sarx series

What style of watch are you after?

Inb4 too busy
Inb4 too flashy
Inb4 too expensive

Casio/10, got me to reply and rustled my Jimmies at first.

I think I saw that post too, but he was referring about a 15-16k used Byblos. You won't find a Journe below that price, unless (maybe) it's beaten to shit.

Why is Breitling shittier then Hublot? I hate Hublot.

>ruggedness
Just like it, don't require it.

>speedy
Not in the same class

>Rolex
Don't like the aesthetics

>Tudor
See speedy

>Haha, what do you do to require such ruggedness?
I am just a paranoid faggot but I also hate the way digital watches look. I hate myself desu.

Real 10/10 coming throuh

Wait, it wasn't a journe he mentioned actually.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S46837748#p46841639

something classic and understated, many like pic related. Thanks in advance

>>speedy
>Not in the same class

That's right Omega is in a class waaaay up in comparision to shitty Breitling. Learn your facts user.

See

The ruggidness was meant for the other guy

Rolex has a really wide array of watches, give a look at all of them

What is your budget? Please don't let me influence your opinion very much, set your price range of chrono24 and have a browse

Ohhhh, is this to your taste? It's a good watch for the money, good movement in it, nice bracelet and nice finish

>no date function
>negative

There are so few watches that get the date complications right that I'd rather not have it as a rule that's rarely strayed from.

Where to buy out of production watches besides ebay?

I'm trying to find a pepsi/blue dial Citizen NY2300 but its not showing up anywhere. Do I just have to stalk ebay?

kind of, i really like the dome look with minimal bezels. Although this looks nice too

you got this one in your ebay watch list, right?

ebay.com/itm/NUOVO-E-RARISSIMO-CITIZEN-OROLOGIO-AUTOMATICO-DIVERS-200M-UOMO-WATCH-NY2300-09G-/222122860434

>reaffixing crystal to Hamilton after roommate knocks it off with a ball
>have to jerry rig a crystal press
>watch wrapped in gauze to dampen force applied
>hear snap
>sweat bullets cause either could be crystal cracking or just setting in place
>take gauze off
>fixed Hamilton
Officially certified watchmaker pls send me your dogshit for repairs

You fucked up dude
Why would most people here think they can properly repair watches???

kek. Nice job.

Because at the end of the day I only payed $20 for it and I wouldn't want to take it to a watchmaker

Kike

m.ebay.com/itm/182132899544

Worse, I'm Italian.

Damn how did I miss that? thanks

Thanks, but I already saw that one. was hoping to get it with a blue dial

Had some guy wearing an explorer 1 and some old person wearing some sort of breitling approach and compliment me for my watch today. I didn't expect the older enthusiasts to care much about entry level stuff at all.
Thinking of buying a hello kitty or batman watch. Any brand recommendations?