I got a new toy, any tips for making it better?

I got a new toy, any tips for making it better?

Throw it away

Every rasppi thread:
>what do I do with it

Be creative, make an emulator that runs on it

Wired ethernet, for a start. RetroPie.

Install Gentoo

wire it to ethernet after you activated ssh
then just use your laptop/pc to update and install shit. you should probably turn it into a lowpower seedbox/Nas + pihole ad blocker

I just wanted to know what you guys would do with it. I'm just using mine for browsing and light coding, and I wanted to know what else can be done without getting crazy

Run your house from it

I use it as a NAS and a torrent client.

This is what I would do. An ultracompact seedbox

the pies are too expensive in my country. Are there any small boards that will run retroconsole?

Analogue audio out from the pi is no good, use a dac.

I've got 5, here's what I use them for:

>rTorrent/NAS
Send it any torrent URL from any browser around the world and tell it which folder to put the file in.

>Kodi
Receives the files from the NAS Pi and lets me watch them on my TV.

>TinyTinyRSS
Basically a self-hosted RSS server, blasts out the feed to various places (including the next Pi)

>'Magic Mirror'
Not gonna lie, I ripped this one off from a web article, but the mirror in my bathroom has a heads up display on it that tells me the time, weather, stock prices, and has an RSS ticker across the bottom (of course pulling from the TTRSS Pi).

>Recipe Computer
Technically it's just any old computer, but I strapped it to the back of a touchscreen monitor and I keep it in the kitchen to look up recipes while I cook.

>I'm just using mine for browsing and light coding

third world detected

No, just unimaginative

Pics of last two?

Too lazy, here's a picture from MagPi magazine on the 'Magic Mirror' (if you Google it there's super simple instructions) and for the kitchen PC, it's just a monitor with Rasbian loaded up with a wireless keyboard, nothing special.

That's really fucking neat, can you describe the process of setting that up?

Get rid of Debian.
Don't bother with a "minimal image" either; they're all still Linux ie crap. GNU is Not Usable.

This is your perfect chance to ditch Linux forever. Install FreeBSD if you want a practical working system, or Plan 9 if you want to have a fun project.

>Montgomery
Roll tide, brother. Northwest, Muscle Shoals area reporting in.

Throwing it in the trash maybe?

It's kinky.

You basically just buy what's called an "observation mirror" which is like one-way mirror, when the screen behind it is black, it looks like a mirror, but anything lit up behind it shows through.

Then you pick up a similarly sized monitor, specifically one where the cables go into a side, not straight out the back and preferably one with a USB port to power the PI, otherwise, you either need two plugs or, like the guy in the guide you splice your power cable for the monitor to add a USB port.

Make a wooden frame with mounting (just followed the instructions online changing the dimensions for my setup).

Mount all of the hardware (pic related)

Use his software to set up whatever display you want, it integrates with all sorts of APIs like iCal Calendar, open weather map, then there's a few extra applications that can put up an RSS ticker, a randomized compliment, shit like that.

Pretty much it. Takes a little while, but the result is really fantastic, if you're willing to get your hands dirty and can follow a guide pretty well, it's a very fun project and it really amazes people when you have company.

That's great, I'll have to check that out. I got a rpi 2 for free a few years back and never did anything with it. Maybe I'll make that.

Yeah there really is a ton of cool things you can do with them. Everybody else I know who bought one just has it sitting on their desk doing nothing. I've just always been "the idea guy".

That mirror one though, I had run out of ideas and just googled around for some until I found it. I'm sure I'll end up with a couple more of them strewn about my place doing various things. I'd like to start playing with Arduinos too, do some home automation to go along with all of these other cool systems.

I can't put enough emphasis on the first two, also. I can't tell you how many times I'm out at the bar with friends and they go "oh, have you that movie?" and I look it up on the spot, send the torrent file to my rTorrent/NAS Pi through ruTorrent and it's sitting in Kodi on my TV waiting for me when I get home. It's like the fucking future!

The key here is thinking what can you do to improve your life, something you could automate or could be easier with a Pi.

Trying to make mine a remote network device configurator. Think of it as a cheap iLO for routers.

As a network admin, it's absolutely frustrating to troubleshoot a failing router in a remote office.

>Are the lights on?
>Is the CD light blinking?
>Can you open cmd and ping blahblahblah?
>Can you put your phone in hotspot mode and download teamviewer so I can enter your PC remotely and ssh to it?

We have offices all around the country, some of them use local ISPs who sometimes have no idea what they are doing and will just blame you for everything. Or who knows, maybe it's your fault and forgot to enable ssh and now the router you just shipped it's a brick.

If only you could be in that office 1200km away of you and access directly the router via the console cable, right? Here's where this little thingy will come in.

>hey I dunt have intarnets
>Okay, can you put your phone in hotspot mode with that name and password, and place it near the router?

Everybody has 3G and a smartphone today, right? The serial port of the Pi will be connected to the console port of the router, the wifi dongle will connect to that hotspot, and will open a vpn or reverse ssh so I can ssh to the Pi and access the router via console.

That will save both me and the workers in these offices hours of frustration.

The board here is just a MAX232 to connect to the console port. Of course, if that works, the final product will be prettier.

> I'm just using mine for browsing and light coding
>light coding

As opposed to heavy coding?

By light coding I mean dicking around with JavaScript and seeing what works