/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Brainwavz-M5-Isolating-Earphones-Black/dp/B009A68TMQ
amazon.com/SUPVIN®-KZ-Earphone-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B019QE4D6M/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1463937493&sr=1-3&keywords=kz ate
amazon.com/Panasonic-Headphones-RP-HJE120-K-Ergonomic-Comfort-Fit/dp/B003EM8008
amazon.com/Xiaomi-Piston-III-Headset-Earphones/dp/B00V9RKSAA
hifiman.com/products/detail/257
msy.com.au/saonline/headset/15967-kingston-khx-hscc-bk-fr-hyperx-cloud-core-black-gaming-headset.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is the M50 still a good all-round entry level set of headphones?

It seems to have cmoe down in price by $50 since a year ago

>Budget literally none help me

>Location lithuania

>Source what the fuck is source

>Preferred type of headphone earphones

>Preferred tonal balance i dont fucking know what that shit means

>Preferred music screaming nigger rap

>Past headphones Apple earphones and other cheap shit

Why the fuck did that last thread die so quickly?

Anyway, looking for small DAC/AMP that's portable, but not shit as well. Needs a bit of juice to power 650ohm drivers.

Can anyone recommend a budget USB DAC/AMP that has a headphone and mic jack?

I was looking at M50s for a little while, but I didn't like the build quality. Looks a bit cheap imho and plus I seen some examples with worn out joints.

Still looking for nice, beginner audiophile cans while I wait for my HE-350.

What's the mic for? If just for gaming, then just get a USB mic.

Life

>>Source what the fuck is source

Will you be listening from your phone or pc etc etc

I have marshall mode EQ
good purchase?
People say the mic is decent when I talk on skype/discord.
The music quality is also good imo.
cost me 85 euros with insurance and shizz
they fit in my ear really well and are comfortable.
any other earbuds you guys would've bought instead of those for similar prices`?

I know this is headphone general but did not want to start a thread for this question, but what is a good starting place or recommended desktop speakers in the 200$ to 300$ range?

Nice heapdhones. Shitty beer tho senpai.

>Nice heapdhones

Thanks

>Shitty beer tho senpai.

wat, this shit is nice and it's 5.9% ;)

>Budget
£100-200
>Location
Home
>Source
USB DAC
>Preferred type of headphone
Circumarual
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Very
>Preferred tonal balance
Grado or close to Grado
>Preferred music
Rock, metal, classical
>Past headphones
HPH-200, SR80i

My HPH-200's are falling apart, I preferred the sound of my SR80i's but couldn't abide the comfort. Should I go with another pair of Yamahas, get a pair of SR80e's and L cushions or buy something else?

I've never heard a pair of grados before but the akg 712's are brilliant, they're pretty much a more 'fun' version of the 702's and I just can't see how a headphone can be more comfortable, it's just not possible.

amazon.com/Brainwavz-M5-Isolating-Earphones-Black/dp/B009A68TMQ

this or

amazon.com/SUPVIN®-KZ-Earphone-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B019QE4D6M/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1463937493&sr=1-3&keywords=kz ate

help Sup Forums

No idea about the brainwavz but I own those kz's and they're pretty shit, avoid.

What's a good sub 150€ full size, over ears, open back headphones with excellent sound clarity (details) and soundstage (positioning and realistic 3d effect)? Bass is secondary but I prefer controlled - extended (by this I mean the bass must be entirely present but not bloated, IE sound as intended by the artist, textured, is thar right?). Bonus point if they respond well to EQ so I can make them basshead mode if needed. Unfortunately I listen to a shitload of very different genres so I need something with a neutral response that I can tweak with eq. Some of my most listened to genres:

>classical and modern orchestral ranging from baroque to tsfh & soundtracks
>various genres of edm but mostly uplifting and hard trance, some vocal trance, eurotrance, some italo & eurodance (bass heavy)
>Japanese shit such as jpop, japanese trance, japanese eurobeat, vocaloid
>movies + vidya
>I also listen to a lot of obscure electronic and instrumental new age / chillout shit and also piano & violin sonatas

Right now I'm interested in the Sennheiser HD598 SE. And yes I posted this request already but I can't find the thread anymore and couldn't be around enough to read all the replies. I recall someone telling me the 598 was the same as the 558, but head fi disagrees with this statement, also I heard on head fi that the 598SE sound different than the brown-beige 598. My budget is 150€ and I have no amp, sources are my PC (onboard Realtek) and my phone (Xperia Z3) and my tablet (Surface 3).

headstage and positioning are two different things

I'm going to sound like a shill now but the akg 712 pro is what you're looking for, seriously.

I'm not good at describing sound and english is my third language. Please understand.

>over 300€

Nope.

>I'm not good at describing sound and english is my third language. Please understand.
i can understand that. i'll give you some explanations for the meaning of the different words.
headstage: the sensation of space around the listener/spaciousness of the audio. open headphones tend to have a larger headstage than closed.
positioning: this actually have to do with the way you wear your headphones. repositioning your headphones can make them more comfortable and improve the seal.
distance perception (probably the word you were looking for): the perceived distance of a sound source. it does not depend on the type of headphone being used.

Thanks. I'm looking for headstage and distance perception then. I like the sound to feel natural, immersive and not inside my head basically. From what I can tell reading reviews on amazon the 598 have these characteristics.

the more neutral headphones are, the most natural they're going to sound. headphones with too much treble can be artificially sounding.
"immersive" is totally subjective.

HD 598 fit the bill, but they are essentially a more expensive, recoloured and foam modded HD 558.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a demo.

Oppo HA-2 or Geek Out V2.
Nearly same components between them, both have juice a plenty, both are $300. The Oppo is for smartphones while the GOV2 is for laptops, although the V2+ has a battery and is closer to the Oppo's form, but $400. Spending any more is meme territory, e.g. iDSD and Mojo at twice the price of these.

How is/was your weekend /hpg/?

If you don't know shit about shit and money is tight, start with the cheapest possible usable earphones like these and go up from there:

amazon.com/Panasonic-Headphones-RP-HJE120-K-Ergonomic-Comfort-Fit/dp/B003EM8008

or

amazon.com/Xiaomi-Piston-III-Headset-Earphones/dp/B00V9RKSAA

So I don't know shit about headphones.

I've been using a set of Sennheiser earbuds for several years, use is PC gaming mostly. I am kind of wanting to switch to some kind of over-ear headphone mainly because I feel like they'd be more durable and sanitary.

I really like the big, bulky look of old 80s headphones but I'm guessing even high-end hardware from the 80s pales in comparison to modern equipment. Is this the case?

Those look like they weigh a ton.

>Budget
$500
>Location
UK
>Source
O2+Odac
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
20 Hours of use, maybe more
>Preferred tonal balance
Good bass and mids, whatever highs

I might return my Hyperx Clouds since I sometimes hear a little bit of a cracking sound when I play some songs. I really liked how they sounded aside from the issue I had, are there any headphones that sound like the Clouds for $65 or less?

Oh shit i'm retarded, never mind. I did get mine from ebay though for £179.99 which is considerably cheaper than amazon.

Save up lad, they're worth it.

Check your source/media player/file. I've noticed that with Foobar, decent DAC/AMP and FLAC/lossless files they are perfect (as in as any Cloud can be).

Not particularly, if it sounded good in 1980 and was kept in good care, it should still sound good now. Technology did advance quite a bit, but it pertains more to high-end headphones, although planars are constantly becoming smaller, cheaper and easier to drive.

For instance the popular Sony 7506 has been around since 1991, and is a refresh/pro version of the V6 that been out since 1985. Basically unchanged for 31 years and still one of the best headphones for under $100.

piston 2
piston 3
brainwavz m5 (in-ear)

which one shall i get?

if your headphone's cables are not plated in pure gold the electron flow will be impeded by tiny quantum distortions in the time space continuum that prevent the ionization of the respective particles that allow the movement of high fidelity electrons meaning the less preferred low fidelity electrons which lack certain quark configurations will transpose across the cable preventing certain frequency response

Hey /hpg/ my onboard audio is shit
>low hissing

I've tried reinstalling the audio drivers but nada.
I have ATH-M50s and I'm deciding to put some money towards a DAC amp combo just so I can get some decent audio quality.

>Budget
Uh will 70 bones do me any good for a dac and amp?

>Location
merrica

FiiO E10K Olympus 2 is a decent starting point. Only real issue is the lack of surround sound speaker output but you can go up the range if you're willing to pay more.

Also, don't go for the original E10 version as the E10K is better in every way.

that's heavy doc

Hey guys, my old headphones broke and I need some new ones. Any suggestions help, I don't know too much about headphones.

budget is $60, but I'm only buying from amazon
I'm in US
Source is PC
Don't want IEMs
I'd prefer closed headphones
I want something with good sound, but it needs to be really comfortable, and I'm willing to sacrifice a little quality for that
I'll be listening to a lot of different types of music, I'm no audiophile so I just want something that sounds good.
I've had a few pairs headphones in the past, but all of them were shit.

I'll also probably use it for a little gayming, but that shouldn't matter as I don't want a headset or anything like that.

Is this good?

Costs like £600 / $1000 and I've never used a DAC before

Kingston HyperX Cloud Core. Essentially the same as the Takstar Pro 80 but is slightly "gamerfied".

Has a detachable mic and slight more low-frequency emphasis than the Pro 80 (mostly due to the different ear pads).

Best of all? You can find it for about a third of the price if you look hard enough. Got mine for $40 last week.

Is the E10K's amp any good? From reviews I've seen they've that the amp is a little underwhelming and I'm looking for maximum "rock out with your cock out" factor

shut up audio cuck

Thanks. This really helps, I was pretty lost looking at all the different options

I find it hard to believe that people would really need that much power from an amp in the first place for headphones. I only have mine set up around 1, but then again i only have the K702 and 7506.

since I first noticed the crackling from my android phone and the 320kbps mp3 files I had downloaded, I got flac versions of the songs I heard crackling in and downloaded em straight to my PC.
Played the flacs in foobar and I still noticed the crackling, maybe there was slightly less crackling but I really doubt that.
Cant really test the clouds with amps since im ampless

You'll need to spend more if you need more juice to drive more power hungry headphones/speakers. The bass boost is pretty neat if you want more "oomph".

But for $75 or less, the FiiO E10K Olympus 2 is hard to beat.

It's built solidly too. Aluminum band and yokes with sturdy driver chassis. See for the colour scheme.

Don't spend that much, buy the o2amp+dac from jds labs if anything.

My AKG 240s are on their way out, and I was wondering if I should get something else from AKG. I quite liked the 240s, though something with more emphasis on bass would be nice.

r8 me Sup Forums.

The e10k is most likely all you need, imo the o2 amp is the next step but the returns are minimal and it costs a lot more.

Fidelio x2s

Literally picked the worst Sennheisers.

Either Yamaha HS5, or JBL lsr305 or Tannoy Reveal 502. If you're interested into a good speaker - sub combo, try to give a look to Edifier kit or Indiana Line Mio Kit.

HiFiMAN Edition S Open/Closed Back convertible on ears?

hifiman.com/products/detail/257

I've been looking for a nice pair of headphones that can go from open (for watching/listening to at home) and closed (for transit and travelin).

These seem noice, but a tad pricier for"similarly" specced headphones so the premium seems to be on that convertible feature.

What does /hpg/ think?

Damn, where did you find them so cheap?

Local store. I think they were clearing stock but they still had plenty of units back in storage/warehouse.

msy.com.au/saonline/headset/15967-kingston-khx-hscc-bk-fr-hyperx-cloud-core-black-gaming-headset.html

That's in Dollarydoos, but if you look hard enough I'm sure you can get them for a similar price closer to you.

Mine was a lazy weekend, enjoying the L2 nonstop, took some /toy/ pics too.
How was yours?
Sounds like you would enjoy the MDR 7506.

google audio interface

>Always a headphone general
>Don't like headphones
>Never a speaker general

Soundblaster e1

>Budget
$200 - $400

>Location
USA, California

>Source
Laptop, willing to invest in amp if recommended

Full size

>Open or closed
Open is fine as long as it's not obnoxiously loud to people nearby at work, some leaking is fine

>Comfort level
Doesn't matter

>Preferred music
Everything, but especially bassy electronic

Thanks friends, I've done some research myself but want to get a more knowledgeable opinion

heard it was shit

I have decent speakers and i'm with you but...they just aren't as accessible or as interesting as headphones.

>or as interesting as headphones.

How so? There's far more variety in speaker designs than in head phones. Whatever it looks like or sounds like someone's tried it.

had these guys for about a year, liking them more than my beloved motorola 305's

I use the scarlett 2i2. If you are looking to record instruments, it's a good choice, among others you can find with research. If you're just trying to game with a mic, don't get that.

thx00 for one of the best semi-closed phones for EDM/electronic music

k7xx as more of an all-rounder

hifiman he-400i if you can find a decent open box deal

Philips Fidelio X2s

Any open headphone is going to sound loud if you listen to music loudly, so take that into consideration, depending on your volume and the distance between you and your co-workers., closed may be your only option. If that's the case, try the m100s for electronic music

shit headphones to be honest here.

V-Moda M100 + XL ear pads
You don't need any amp for them and they sound great especially when it comes to great (but controlled) bass
If convertible headphones were any good there would be way more companies making them.
I'd say make up your mind whether you want open or closed cans first
Also,
>on ear
Worse than hitler

What's fast bass?

the opposite of loose bass

Heading to Tokyo later this year and apparently there are stores dedicated to headphones with hundreds of demo units. Have to check it out while I'm there.

fast decay of the sound, sound that hits and then doesn't linger otherwise it will bleed into the next signature and sound like garbage

accurate bass

A lot has been going on for me. Been going through my music again to see if any still catch my ear the last time I've listened to them. Also On1 is a underrated classic. My god it has great sound and is portable as fuck. I wish the cable came off of the left cap instead of the right. Which is really strange. Otherwise I have very little problems with it replacing my Shure SE-215's and AKG K-550's.

I think Speaker design is far more interesting. Just that getting a decent setup is really a subjective process. There is really no start off point for picking out an Amp and Speakers unlike headphones. In which you can get really decent ones below $250.
Also picking out a good analog amp is always a difficult process in my opinion.

hey /hpg/
I've had the dt770's and grado sr60i's for some years now, and am looking to buy myself something nice in the nearing future

Really enjoy the dt770, however I've had them so long and abused them that they really need to be replaced. I was considering just buying another pair, but I'm currently leaning to buying a pair of cans that could be considered a "true upgrade".

What are any headphones that you all would consider true upgrades from the beyers? I'm planning a budget of approximately $600, amp/dac included ideally

I'd prefer closed headphones. No preference towards portability. Sound signature similar to beyers, but maybe a little less (what some may call harsh) brightness

I was thinking of buying used hifiman 500's, thoughts on those?

thanks

Are ther any types of headphones that you can comfortably use on a plane? Just flew listening to my brand new MDR-7506's thinking I would enjoy them but I couldnt hear shit and had to crank my phone up to the max as well. Fucking plane was so loud, dont know if it was because my seat was right above the wings or what.

unfortunately there's a huge gap in good closed cans from the 400-1000 USD range that's pretty much an empty blank space

oppo-pm3
fostex thx00
various t50 rp mods like the zmf vibro/blackwood/mad dogs

The hifiman 500's are excellent and are definitely an endgame contender but are open and nowhere near as V-shaped sounding as the beyers. If you like EDM/bassy modern music that's similar to your DT770 sound signature but better than go for the thx00, or the oppo-pm3/zmf vibro for something milder in the brightness department

how do you measure fast bass? what headphones have it?

As shit as it sounds (no pun intended) I think it comes down to the fact that headphones are 'cooler'.they're more personal and fashionable etc, they're smaller and have multiple factors to them like build quality and comfort where as speakers are nearly always built in a solid way so the only interesting part about them is the sound alone.

High end audio is also much cheaper with headphones than speakers, hence they're more accessible.

Get a DAC/AMP. And/or get an IEM. I travel a little bit (3 times a year) and I usually plug my phone to a USB port to charge slip it in the seat pocket and use an IEM (this case TTPOD T1) for noise isolation and comfy music.

There's just much more variations and personalisation for headphones/IEMs. Speakers/monitors are just really differentiated mostly by price. Much easier to choose from.

Where do I find an AD700?

Nah I dont need an amp doe those headphones. Listening to them perfecltt fine at 50% volume right now. Faggot plane was just too loud. Dont even know what ampdac combo to get. I read the new fiio olympus thing is shit, and I have barely any choice in my county anyways.

hey i'm getting the vsonic vsd1s iems

i'm just using them for my landscaping job are they significantly better than apple earpods. i heard alright things and they were 35 bucks on amazon so it seemed like a steal

>Budget
Less than $150
>Location
Oregon
>Source
Laptop
Full-sized, IEMs don't fit in my chink ears
>Open or closed
Preferably closed, but can do open to fit budget
>Comfort level
Whatever whatever
>Preferred tonal balance
Bright/cool/cold
>Preferred music
Baroque, The Strokes, Yugoslavian War Music
>Past headphones
piecashit turtle beach

You guys really don't know anything about speakers, do you? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

anyone, i read suggestions of head fi, but i dont really know much of what there talking about when they say things like "warm"

Anyone recommend one of those microphones that you can attach to your favorite pair of headphones?

budget $50
USA
on ear

>i read suggestions of head fi

The x2's aren't mine, and they aren't my cup of tea even though they're fun. If the k12's are shit then i'd love to see your idea of good headphones lel

Not him but head fi speaks more sense than this fucking place, and they take tube amps seriously so that's saying something.

xD

I think it sas called a modmic or something.

I was really hyped about getting my first decent headphones, 5hem I got them and was really happy for a few hours. Now that Im used to them I cant even tell how good they are and if I really like them a lot or if I just like them.

You guys feelin me?

well im already locked in on the vsonic vsd1s, but are they better than the klipsch image s4. i owned those once and read on headfi and here that they are overrated, but i enjoyed them.