Removing as many fans as possible

I already have a quiet system with a noctura cpu heatsink and 2 fans on my case.

Have you ever tried to remove all fans but one on the CPU heatsink. This should make the system near silent, but I am worried it will result in hardwaredamage.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is this serial?

why would you want a completely silent computer over a working, cool one?
fans aren't that loud or at least shouldn't be

you do realize that shitton of computers run with that kind of a setup, case fans aren't a standard.

Usually an exhaust fan is pretty standard.

I can advise against fully quiet systems, because you will start hearing normally unnoticeable coil whine and screeching caps in everything.

What's your CPU?
Do you have a graphics card?
Do you have a HDD?

you can use one large fan (120-140mm), in exhaust configuration, while also pushing through the CPU AIO's radiator.

At low speeds a 120-140mm fan (noctua, scythe) is nearly silent. You will not need a separate fan for the CPU, just one fan for the entire build.

I have done this in mid-tower and ITX but not any build with graphics card. If you have graphics card you will probably need a 2nd fan.

buy an oven if you want to cook

It's pretty difficult to make something truely silent. If you reduce the noise by the fans the noise that everything else makes will be more noticeable.

I have 1 intake and 1 exhaust, the intake doesn't run until the CPU hits like 70'C. You can also wrap some towels around your PC to absorb all the whining and buzzing noises. It's gonna run alot hotter but who the fuck cares. My heavily overclocked r9 390 and 6600k both max out at around 85°C. Under full load its barely audible.

Just use speedfan to turn them off till temps go over 50c or so

Thanks for your answers.

I have had 3 fans since now. I plugged out the one on at the top now. the intake is a 200mm one, which is running at low speed and not noticeable. the one at the cpu heatsink is noticeable, although barely on 900rpm using an adapter that came with it.
The PSU is from seasonic, so no noise from there as well.

Apparently the HDDs were the biggest source of noise, so I will probably look for solutions to switch them off if not needed, any ideas regarding that or can I only do it with hardware switches?

My Linux/windows systems are on a 500 gb ssd, so if I move a few more gb to that drive it could work out.

set the OS to shutdown hdd's after 10 mins of not being used.

i tried disabling them in the device manager on windows, they were still running though. So you say I should do it via the power setting?

Powering off the hard drives is not wise. They'll have to spin up every time you access them which will be very noticable plus it introduces a long delay before you can access them. It may also lead to the drive wearing down faster since it will be constantly stopping and starting. It's easier to keep a motor going than it is to fire it up and stop it over and over

Luke already did it.
youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ
And you can do it by yourself with your computer to see how many of them you actually need. Because optimal fan setup will be different for each motherboard+cpu+case+gpu combination and an overclock of each component.
1. Download a prime95 or LynX 0.6.5 and let it run for 15 to 20 minutes, check and write your temperature reading. Check the ambient temperature as well.
2. Turn computer off and start removing your fans one by one and repeat 15-20 minutes stress tests each time you remove a fan.
Depending on what is maximum temperature you are getting and how is your current ambient temperature differs from the hottest summer daysin your place, I wouldn't allow it to go higher than ~5C without 1/2/3 fans.

what kind of hackers are pink hat?

cute ones!

This.

I have 4 1300rpm case fans and it's still super quiet.

traps?

>1300rpm

What size? Most 120mm fans at 1300 are gonna be noisy. I run mine at 600 rpm and don't have temperature issues.

Mine are 120mm, but I keep my pc behind my desk too, so that helps with the noise.

Never understood the logic behind passive cooling outside of smartphones and shit.

My desktop computer has the CPU fan off most of the time. It only comes on when the CPU gets to 50C. I'm lucky that my motherboard/BIOS lets me do this, most seem to be unable to do it.

Lol you do know passive cooling cases exist, right? VRM caps might get a bit hot, but they'll survive

Best setup ever

This
I have this exactly, no fans at all
but i usually leave the side case off