/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com/
gizmochina.com/
>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of May 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones#Under_.24200

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>Ignore the Cuckitel shills
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>user reviews 35 smartphones
drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMugiNgJ2qtYkJBY0EwQWxCbTQ/view

>Samsung Galaxy S8 to be the company's first folding smartphone?
christiantimes.com/article/samsung-galaxy-s8-to-be-the-companys-first-folding-smartphone/55792.htm

>Sony starts pre-registration for its Xperia X and XA smartphones in India
indianexpress.com/article/technology/mobile-tabs/sony-xperia-x-xa-india-launch-specs-price-2813732/

>Lumia smartphones are coming to an end, Microsoft hints
theverge.com/2016/5/18/11699766/microsoft-lumia-phone-brand

>Meizu MX6 will have two RAM and storage versions, new report claims
gsmarena.com/meizu_mx6_will_have_two_ram_and_storage_versions_new_report_claims-news-18332.php

>Motorola's legendary RAZR flip phone is making a comeback
engadget.com/2016/05/20/moto-razr-flip-phone-teaser/

>Google Project Ara Modular Smartphone Is Still Alive, And It's Coming Out Next Year
techtimes.com/articles/160005/20160521/google-project-ara-modular-smartphone-is-still-alive-and-its-coming-out-next-year.htm

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/d2jav7UdQtE?t=1m44s
slickdeals.net/f/8749447-16gb-samsung-galaxy-s5-verizon-gsm-unlocked-smartphone-refurbished-135-free-shipping
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why do you keep posting this ancient picture with shitty phones from 5 years ago?

That's what google image search returns for "smartphones".

No one gives a shit.

There aren't any good phones on the market. They all have a flaw that prevents me from buying them

Never got to own one of those. I had the Epic 4g though, kinda counts because it's a variant of the galaxy s right? I finally made the transition to touch only thanks to swiftkey but I still miss playing a gba emulator with a qwerty keyboard :(

Currently have a LG G5, GS7, N5X in my possession so I'll post my impressions on each.

N5X:
Screen and build quality are nice for a cheapish midrange device. Limited storage and not great battery life are a shame.
Stock Android is nice but if you want root you have to fuck about flashing stock recovery and kernel to get the monthly updates then re-rooting.

LG G5:
Nice screen, great solid feeling build. Meme modules are a retarded gimmick but can be happily ignored.
Excellent specs for the price. Easy bootloader unlock and root if you have the international model with no loss of warranty.
Feels huge for a 5.3" phone, much bigger in hand than the G3 and G4.

GS7:
Feels and looks as expensive as it is. International exynos model has godly specs and easy bootloader unlock but no custom ROM development.
You'll lose warranty on day 1 if you want root because fucking Knox.
Very compact for a 5.1" phone, great for one-handed use.

How is the G5 bigger in hand when it has a smaller display than the g4?

Bigger bezels and a bit thicker round the edges. It's only a few mm difference around each side but overall it feels much chunkier in the hand.

Rich or tech reviewer?

It's upgrade month and I'm very indecisive, I like to use each of my main options for a few weeks then keep the one I like for a year.
If you want to know I'm keeping the S7, wife's getting the G5 and I'm returning the 5X.

Buying a phone to replace my Coolpad Rogue. Is the Xiaomi Mi 5 the best I can do?

>What I have
$300

>What I want (most important to least important)
USA T-Mobile compatibility
High quality camera
Screen size

>Long term durability
Discard the MI5
youtu.be/d2jav7UdQtE?t=1m44s

>chinkphone
>High quality camera

Pick one.

Rich af, gotcha.

wow fuck

What are the non-chinkphones under $300 with a good camera? Is my next best option an unlocked iPhone 5s?

Sony Xperia M5 or Oneplus X.

Consider buying a 1-2 year old flagship phone instead. You can get them brand new off ebay for 200-300 if you're willing to do the research. If you want root don't be a retard like me and get one with a locked bootloader. I made that mistake by buying the AT&T version of the Galaxy S5 when I could have got the T-Mobile version. Since T-Mobile isn't as strict you might be in luck, look around.

>non-chinkphones
>Oneplus X

>> buys gs7 edge
>> Sup Forums disapproves. Says touch wiz is shit
True however the rest of the phone makes up for it. Idk why k would get a HTC 10 instead. Screens don't compete, camera doesn't compete.

>I have an arbitrary list of retarded demands with an unrealistic price tag
What did you expect? an S7 for $300?
Fucking retard.

Just for the record, I'm not the user who asked.

Nexus 5X has an excellent camera. 5.2" though.

Can the Moto G 3rd gen become rooted? If so, how?

>>>/xda/

Gracias

Different priorities, I'm getting an HTC 10 because the headphone out is much better than on the S7, and I like to use my phones caseless, something I can't really do with the S7.

>caseless
YES BRAKE THE PHONE FOR SATAN!!!!!!!!

I can't decide between the s7, g5, or the htc 10

I like the g5 because of the ability to replace battery. But lately I've been hearing bad things about it.

The htc 10 I know very little about, as in I read the specs, but yet to see reviews

Any advice?

S7 if you can stand touchwizz, HTC 10 if not. G5 is an abomination that you shouldn't even consider.

I really hate touchwizz, I have a s5 right now. It's garbage.

I forgot to mention I value rooting a lot, does that change anything?

Touchwiz on the S7 really isn't that terrible, with good lock it has even more features over stock android. You can only root the Exynos variant right now.

heard that htc doesn't care about rooting, might be easier for you to do it on the htc than the s7

>I forgot to mention I value rooting a lot, does that change anything?
HTC 10 has an unlocked bootloader and is easily rootable. it's skin is also much lighter than touchwizz and resembles stock android. sounds like the best match for you.

Ok guys I'm looking to buy the one plus x I'm on AT&T and the phone doesn't have lte bands 12 and 17 do I really need those tho? I'm in the us I have good coverege were I live should I get it or not?

>can't sideload apks on android because muh screen overlay scams
how do I disable this holy shit

I just bought a S5 refurbished for $135. I thought it was a good deal, whats Sup Forums's take? As well as a 128 GB sd for $30 to go along with it. I've never owned a high end smart phone, my last one was a another shitty refurbished LG phone that I got for $160, lasted me about a year or so. It had shit camera and shit storage (32GB max)

>slickdeals.net/f/8749447-16gb-samsung-galaxy-s5-verizon-gsm-unlocked-smartphone-refurbished-135-free-shipping

Is speed important to you? I just went from a HSPA+ only phone, I got like 7-10mbit to a LTE phone and I now have 20-60mbit depending on time of day.

What if I'm on wifi most the time?

At least the verizon version has the bootloader unlock exploit. I bought the AT&T version of the same phone, coming from the LG G2 and I'm happy with it. Just wish I could root.

Depends on what you do with it when you're not on wifi. Obviously it's better to download shit/update apps when you are on wifi but if you're doing streaming video and stuff LTE might make a difference.

I don't stream video on my phone besides YouTube most play games and web browsing I try not to use data at all saves money

I do all this on wifi the only thing I do not on wifi is call and maybe text but that's rare

You should be just fine then.

Cool thanks

What messaging app does Sup Forums use? I'm getting my first smartphone soon and I've been reccomended Textra and Whatsapp by friends

Whatsapp because it just werks™

Mini review of 5x

>still the cheapest bang for your buck outright phone in Canada
>camera and bloat free Android is great
>updates fix problems monthly
>good phone size for one handed use
>videos and text look great
>charging is fast as fuck
>upon fresh reboot, phone is the fastest device I've ever held

>overpriced in Canada. Find a friend in the US to buy it for you. I made the mistake to buy it full price
>Snapchat is fucking terrible. My fav app and I can't blame android but Holy fuck nexus 5 could handle it better. Hoping for Android N fix
>battery does 4.5hrs for me with social shit apps and constant music streaming. Not the worst but still meh
>what does help the slowdown is a quick reboot. Makes everything fresh and snappy for at least 100 hours then snap may lag again
>gets hot as fuck. Just a comfortable and preference issue
>plastic build makes it feel cheap as fuck. Again, get this for the ~$250 US price tag to justify

tl;dr I love it, esp coming from the 5 and didn't want to cash out $700

Pretty impressed with the battery life on the S7. Not bad at all for 3k mah.

Use the one your friends use, I use whatsapp but if I could force everyone I know to change apps I'd use telegram

>nexus 5x
>good

Pick one.
You can't say that a phone is good if you choose the precise software and use it in the just the right way.

imagine telling a car buyer that there expensive KIA piece of shit is just as good as the VW if they drive slower, use more expensive fuel and never load the car with luggage.

Nexus 5x can fuck right off. Its a sub par phone for "purists"

Well, how about SMS apps? That way I'd just need their number

Messenger.

Anyone else having a problem with receiving SMS in order to unlock the bootloader for the Mi5?
Trying for several days, but no SMS being sent.

The LG G4 and the Samsung S6 are around the same price, the S6 being a bit more expensive, and I'm wondering which one to get. I've tried the S6 since a friend has it and it's good, haven't tried the G4 at all, but I'm leaning towards it because of its features and expandable storage. Anything major that differentiates both?

S6 Edge +

>finally shattered my 2013 moto x
I never thought it would end meeting the pavement and shattering

so...
iphone 6s or iphone se?

>2016
>moto 2013
Im so sorry for you, at least you got rid of it now. I remember my screen getting yellowish over time and those burn-in marks.

Go for the 6s, ignore the chinese fags, they are frustrated Pajeets shilling for a couple of rupees.

Edge + is way more expensive, at least here, so that's not an option.

thanks for a real response m8

It was a good little phone and I hadn't had any real problems besides the usual battery decay
it still lasted almost the whole day of use though

at least the annoying frame drop while watching 720p60 videos on youtube won't be an issue

6S, although get the 64 gb version if you can, don't want to get fucked when the update comes and you don't have enough space for it.

Go for the 6 then, i assume is the flat one. The G4 will get you in a ride with all the faulty motherboard issues for the first models and the newest ones, get it if you dont mind the posibility of getting a faulty one and spend time and effort talking with LG support center.

>being mad at someone else's personal preference

It just werks and I don't have to worry about any custom software XD

STEVE JERBS THE GEENUS, REST IN PIECE

fell for the Nexus 5X meme...fuck the battery life on this thing sucks. Wanting to get a phone with really good battery life, been looking at the Galaxy Note 4 and One Plus One, thoughts? I have a $400 budget, main concern is battery life

You should keep it around as a voice based music player. The moto voice thing is one of the only features I miss.

Dont go for the model with less capacity, go for 64 or 128gb

how do you unlock galaxy s6 edge+ GSM factory for free?

I'm choosing between the iphone SE and the iphone 6s. right now.

I'm currently using the iphone 4s. Like a dumbass, I've been updating constantly and my phone has gotten slow as fuck. It is barely usable.

I fucking hate the feel of the smooth edges of the 6s. 16GB is shit. Sometimes the size is cumbersome. Price: $99.

I like the edges of the SE. 64GB. Bigger screen than my 4s lmao, but possibly not big enough? Less jarring from the 4s. Price: $49.

I'm the moto x guy who's also about to go get an iphone

probably gonna go with the 6s just to increase the length of support the phone will get

>This is the average android user.

6s, but dont get the 16gb

There's no such thing as a free network unlock anymore.

$199 too steep tho.

no one has the jailbreak torrent for android? 6.0.1

Pretty sure you can sell your 4s for $80-$100.

Android doesn't just werk though user. Why would I want to use that laggy piece of shit? What do you think I am? Poor? Haha what kind of poor piece of shit can't afford to pay extra for a subpar chinkphone made by foxconn then come on Sup Forums and expect to be treated like a power user? That extra money I spent for the iphone 6s+ Tim Cook's stretched asshole edition commands respect

10 rupees have been added into your Google Play acount.

and you've been awarded a free estimate for a consultation with the genius bar. Hope your shit is still under warranty

>Breaking your stuff.
Time to stop installing "Hyper shadow flashfire ROM w/sataniclordgeek666's FlashBooster extra ram kernel" Lord XDA.

>when user has to advise you to buy the model with larger storage in order for you to be able to receive updates

Is it a phone or is it a scam

>when your phone's support cycle is shorter than one of Taylor Swift's fake relationships

>Buying Android.
>Having to pray to get more than 1 update because lolnosupport.
>Having to wait 6 months because you are a contractfag.
>Justifying your purchase because of custom roms.
Only Nexusfags are acceptable.

>For you to be able
You can update even in a 16gb iPhone. Have you seen the latest updates space requeriments? You can install them with less than a gb.

Oh wait, I get it, you dont even know what does the "update" word means, you are using android.

Wait, you buy iphones off contract? LOL

>paying the Apple tax

Dumb question about MVNOs:

If they have a list of confirmed supported devices, are those the only ones you can use?

If you have an unlocked phone, and the MVNO accepts unlocked phones, is the a chance some specific model just won't be compatible? This is assuming you know the bands are OK, that is.

If you're using a phone that requires a sim card on AT&T or T-Mobile you can use pretty much anything you want. If you're going to use Sprint or Verizon you need one of their phones.

>He cant afford a phone
>He needs 72 monthly payments to get a flagship
Poorfags, I swear

I just buy them off ebay, not on contract either. Just saying it's a terrible idea with an iphone because they have such a short shelf life. If you took care of it then it's probably got decent resale value but still... Fuck that I'd rather have something that will last me.

>not wanting to pay the Apple tax = poorfag
Great logic there, Applecuck.

>They have such a short shelf life
>The iPhone 4s still gets the latest iOS almost 5 years later.
>Fuck that I'd rather have something that will last me
Cant wait to see N running in the Galaxy Nexus.

I appreciate it, but I'm not in the US.

I want to use Docomo when the Note 6 comes out. I know Docomo will carry it, but if I import the phone or won't be the Docomo-branded one. So it still might not work, if they are like Sprint/Verizon.

I'll see if I can do more research.

I have an HTC 10, Nexus 6P, and S7E (T-Mobile).

Ask me anything.

Also, if display quality is of any importance to you, don't even consider the HTC 10. It has the best LCD/quantum dot display on a phone I've seen (very comparable to G5), but they both FAIL compared to Samsung's OLEDs (including the Sammy panel in the 6P).

I'm having a really hard time deciding between the 6P and the S7E right now. The 6P I love for the stock android user experience - I have flashed a custom ROM on it, but it was stock based. Only reason I flashed it was for additional features. Currently running N preview and I LOVE it. But I still can't help but feel like the S7E is just a more functional phone...

The 6P, again, has stock Android going for it, which really matters right now since it has N available and nothing else does. I immediately began to appreciate just how nice the front stereo speakers were after using the S7E. And the flat display is much better for media content like YouTube (I tend to watch in bed at night on the 6P because of how great it is between the display and speakers - something I've never truly enjoyed with any other device I've had). Type C. Better finger print sensor. Can comfortably use it naked. And it has root...

By contrast, the S7E has removable storage (although it is a mashup of faster UFS and slower microSD storage compared to my 128 GB 6P). Water resilience. Wireless charging. Samsung Pay. Better display (color production and brightness). Unique looking, almost bezel-less/floating display. Sharp design (except the glass back is god awful - always have to have it in a case). Better camera. More OS features. RCS works.

>have an HTC 10, Nexus 6P, and S7E
how do you get all these new phones?

what's a highish end rootable android phone that's not a nexus? ability to put my chinkshit sharks in it a plus.

Saying they both fail is a bit of an overstatement the HTC 10's display is very very good, and should not be a HUGE deal breaker.

I used a T-Mobile HTC G2 for 3 years. Was still on the latest versions of Android thanks to cyanogenmod when I lost it in the Philippines. Usually the only reason I replace my phone is because I lost it or broke it. I had some non flagship phones I used for awhile that I sold, I had fun with those. Then I got the LG G2. I only replaced it with a Galaxy S5 because there were dead spots on the screen.

I think upgrading is for cucks these days unless you're actually on contract. Buying the latest phones off contract seems like a horrible investment to me unless you go through them like water and will sell while it's still hot to buy another brand new one. The upgrades are negligible. I wouldn't say that about a fucking 4s though.

>Needing a custom room to get the latest android version.
Thanks for proving my point.

Cyanogen is hardly pajeet shit though and any moron could figure out how to do it. At least with that phone I had the option. I don't have the option with my current phone but I don't really care. I'm on 5.1.1 with the latest security patches. Should have Marshmallow sometime in the near future. Only major downside is the carrier bloat. That's the only thing I can give credit to Apple for.

>buh-buh if you had my ishit you'd have the latest version of ios

That would change things for me how?

>Should have Marshmallow sometime in the near future.
Only one year+ later, awesome.

>iOS 9 announced
>A couple of weeks before ALL the devices get them, directly from apple servers.
>Minor update
>Available a couple of hours later after the announcement, again for ALL the devices.

>Only major downside is the carrier bloat.
>He needs to wait one year for carriers to approve the update and add bloat.

>That would change things for me how?
Well, I doubt you can afford an iPhone.
You should check apple website, probably you get lucky and they accept 72 months payment.

I could buy one outright if I wanted. That's the key word user, if. I could buy the latest Android phones that get the latest updates faster too. But I really don't need to. Just because I have $700 doesn't mean I should spend it on something I don't need does it? I spent $200 on my phone, think about what I can do with that $500 I didn't spend to be able to get one of the latest phones so I could come and brag about it online to strangers.

Can I run every single app I need to run? Yes. Do games play fine? Yes. Am I locked into a shitty contract? No.

Also on the subject of custom roms what's wrong with having the option? What's wrong with being allowed to install unapproved applications on my device? I know I know muh malware, but seriously I don't sideload anything besides what I get off the Amazon app store. More stuff I would have had to pay for otherwise but get for free instead.

I'll gladly put up with a few minor annoyances in order get my money's worth. Just because I have it doesn't mean I should piss it away.

>I could buy the latest Android phones that get the latest updates faster too.
Yeah, the phone ships with the latest update, but have fun waiting 6 months for every major update.

>what's wrong with having the option?
>pls pajeet have control of my device and all my information with your magical booster rom
>What's wrong with being allowed to install unapproved applications on my device?
Most likely you install pirate apps from those free apks sites to save money.

I bought the HTC 10 and 6P unlocked. I bought the S7E on T-Mobile JOD program. The intention is to pick one to stick with, and return the others.

But it isn't. I thought the 10's display was good until I compared it side-by-side with an OLED as mentioned. The biggest let downs are the lack of contrast (despite having a contrast ratio of about ~1700) and the pixel blur. The 10 is a blur fest during scrolling, and I'm not referring to unavoidable blur to due 60Hz and the human eye. I am referring to pixel response. The OLEDs exhibit none of this. Back to contrast - it is one of the largest factors in image quality. Infinite contrast is unbeatable. In most circumstances you'd never notice (unless side-by-side with an OLED or pure blacks), but knowing that the OLED produces a much better image, I just can't accept an LCD anymore. I also have a 55" 4K LG OLED TV I use as my monitor because they are that good...

Additionally, I couldn't stand the 5.2" screen size - too small for me.

I don't mind waiting for updates. It's improved big time since the early years. I already said that I don't use a custom rom, I'm not even rooted because I can't be. If it was an option I'd really only want official cyanogen. I haven't installed pirated apks since I owned a mytouch 3g back in 2009. I actually buy my apps, usually when they're on sale for 99 cents, with a few exceptions like xiialive pro.

His point is that you said your old phone had the newest Android thanks to your custom rom, as in not thanks to your manufacturer. Because they stopped supporting that phone.
Unlike Apple.

Of course, that's meaningless because why would you care if you're variety stopped supporting it when that decision didn't negatively impact you?

Now stop responding to obvious bait.