I rarely need to print at home, but I do need to occasionally. What's my best bet for a printer that's inexpensive?

I rarely need to print at home, but I do need to occasionally. What's my best bet for a printer that's inexpensive?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00LZS5EEI/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC28531
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just make sure the ink cartridges don't have DRM.

I have a Pixus 3650 and it is alright, though not very clear on how to setup onto a wireless network. Currently I am self refilling the cartridges even though the ink quality isn't quite the same, the refills are like $1 and even though I need to drill a hole in the cartridges to refill them I am printing a fair amount so I need the money saving.

Since that's a canon, let me just say this

I got a Canon printer/scanner at work for like $40. To replace both ink cartridges it costs more than the printer did. If you're buying cheap, remember that you're also buying disposable.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Truthfully, as much as I'd like a printer/scanner for $40 I'd settle for a pure b/w printer at $100 if the ink was dirt cheap and lasted forever.
How do I?

>occasionally
remember to print a page every two weeks or so or else you'll clog your print heads.
or just get a laser
or just go to kinko's when you need to print smth

Don't get an inkjet. They die *specifically because* you use them sporadically. Basically, .

I recommend the Brother HL-3170CDW. I have it, it's good.

>color laser
>occasional printing, b&w is fine

what

did you even read what OP wrote? a b/w laser would be sufficient, if not still overkill

>I'd settle for a pure b/w printer at $100 if the ink was dirt cheap and lasted forever.

Nigger, I got my HL-3170 for $160. It is BAD ASS for that price. It's a much better value proposition than a B/W printer for $100 ever was. And it's always better to have more than you need and have some upward flex room than to have less than you need at the least opportune moment.

It's worth taking into account that when you purchase an inkjet printer the cartridges it comes with often contain less ink than ones you can purchase for it, so even if for $40 it is cheaper to replace the printer you might be able to get some bigger cartridges that will last more than twice as long for not much more.

OP, don't be that faggot who buys printers and throws them in landfills just because it costs you less. Have some compassion for the environment. In a thousand years, you'll only be remembered by your pile of trash.

if I'm remembered in a thousand years, then I'm gonna chalk that up as a win

who do you know who was remembered long after their death for anything?

If you choose your printer well then you can get very cheap ink.

pic related

It's difficult to find a printer these days that isn't multi-function. Just get a black and white laser printer. They're cheap now.

How's something like this? amazon.com/dp/B00LZS5EEI/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC28531 Will it still print if it sits there and prints nothing for a year?

I have pic related, it's a beast. I originally bought it just for etching circuit boards, but it's been very faithful.

No it'll get stale and moldy

>etching circuit boards
>on an inkjet
?

Buy a used laser on cl or similar for about 20$. And order a chink toner for 10-20$.

transferring the pattern for etching.

god, do we have to hold your hand for everything?

Buy a continuous ink tank system.

Those are fucking jokes.

As long as you don't care too much about the ink quality, yeah.

Why?

Why would I care about ink quality?

I like low-end Epson inkjwts. Their ink is cheap, doesn't dry up when you're not printing, and you get a ton of pages per cartridge. You also don't have to worry about not being able to print in black if you're out of color.

>messy
>clogging
>60 dollar printer for quadruple the cost because muh ink system

I have a few of these on the shelf where I work and they are the biggest fucking scam of them all.

ALL inkjet printers are a ripoff. Buy Laser or get used to going to kinkos.

But that is how the commercial printers work. Those print date codes on food use a continuous ink system.

yes. post proof of your etchings

those print date codes on food are printed by a low-resolution, continuously operating dot-matrix printer. very different use case.

Go to the library, 10 cents to print, 25 for color.

Can confirm, brother printers are the shit!

>Why would I care about ink quality?
If you're printing in color then usually you would care about ink quality because you want the printing to look like the actual picture, but sometimes that isn't very important.

On the right track, but a print shop will be better and way cheaper

>I compare industrial grade items to consumer products and expect them to be the same

top kek

>Rarely
>Occasionally

What?

rare·ly
ˈrerlē/
adverb
adverb: rarely

not often; seldom.
"I rarely drive above 60 mph"
synonyms: seldom, infrequently, hardly ever, hardly, scarcely, not often; More
once in a while, now and then, occasionally;

oc·ca·sion·al·ly
əˈkāZH(ə)nəlē/
adverb
adverb: occasionally

at infrequent or irregular intervals; now and then.
"he met her occasionally for coffee"
synonyms: sometimes, from time to time, (every) now and then, (every) now and again, at times, every so often, (every) once in a while, on occasion; More
periodically, at intervals;

What's a durable printer that can handle 120lb paper (cardstock) color print jobs?

I e-mail a .pdf to some FedEx address, walk 0.25 miles to a FedEx store, enter the bounce-back code from the FedEx address, dip my debit card, and walk away 14¢ poorer.

HP 8610 if you want colors. You can just replace the black cartridge (1000-2300 pages depending if you take the XL cartridge) and leave the colors empty if you don't need them. They're also less prone to dry. It's an all-in-one.

Otherwise, find a Brother black and white laser printer using the old 420 blaze it edition toners or the newer 630 toners. You can find all-in-one too.

daily reminder that printers break via software after a certain amount of pages printed,and no replacement parts exsist

This is not a consumer review site. Fuck off

>8610/20, best printers HP ever made, discontinued and replaced with spaceship nonsense with less functionality and more expensive ink

HP is going to a dark place. They've always been a bit shit, but its getting bad.

That's not an inkjet, though.

>IM FUCKING MAD LOL

God damn the spergs are out tonight.

Its laser.

>60 dollar printer for quadruple the cost because muh ink system

Cheap printers are normally sold at a loss because they know you're fucked for ink cartridges

You can just refill your cartridges. Your printer will complain that they're empty, but you'll learn to ignore it.

Talking about this piece of shit.

>what kinda printer you want senpai
>Just jam the ink right up my ass hole

PC LOAD LETTER?

THE FUCK DOES THAT MEAN?

Yep, I got my 8610 for 100 canadabucks. It just wrecks.
HP printers usually have insane ink prices, especially the low tier models, but the 8610 was an exception.
Too bad it was not getting them enough shekels or some other jewish tricks, so they made this white abomination.

>Epson ET-4550
>Includes ink to print up to 11,000 black/8500 colour pages
Seems great on paper.
Pic is the black ink for "thousands of vivid prints". 25 bucks.

Brother HL-2170W or whatever the current equivalent is. I plug the thing into power and ethernet in my closet and print to it over the network. Only plebs put a printer on their desk or in their living space.

Yeah 11,000 pages from a shit tier 60 dollar printer.

Don't you get it user? The god damn thing will break before you even use 25% of that.

It does have a 2 years warranty, it's one more than most printers. I doubt Epson would offer that if the thing was total garbage.

Why don't you go buy fucking two of them then you fucking faggot.

It was nice to discuss technology with you today.
Plz no bully

Do not buy consumer class for any reason, they are designed to be timebombs on purpose and won't make it past half the ink that comes with it. This means you! And your shitty $30 choice you were looking at at wal-mart. The bare minimum you need to pay for any printer is at least $60 exception obviously if they are having a sale.

If you only need black and white, get a b/w laser from brother or HP. They are less than $70 now for business class units, will last forever in terms of hardware reliability and for one individual the toner cart will as well. Usually don't come with scanners though.

Laser color or a laser MFP is still better in the long run but the issue is for an individual, the initial investment. Alternative is business inkjet class.

>Canon
>Lexmark
>Toshiba
All shit except their enterprise line, I mean $5000+ desk size units. Again business class or don't bother cannot stress this enough.

Still prefer HP out of all of them, their drivers are excellent, especially their linux ones along with scanning.

If you're really poor and bored you may consider calling up a big library if you have one or a huge business and casually offering to take a load of electronics to a computer recycling center. Always bound to be a 8 year old laser printer in there. Got pic related for free from a business that was going to throw it out because it had run out of black toner.

why are you being such an asshole to him? do you have an interest in printers but no interest in contributing anything constructive?

even with the Sup Forums pass, the marginal cost of shitposting is pretty high. just don't post so much.

>Laser color or a laser MFP is still better in the long run
Eh. Best combo for home use is the cheapest business-class laser and Kinkos for anything you need printed in color.

I didn't mean any harm by it /pet

I work around these things a lot. Manager at a office supply store.

we get a lot of returns for them. They're really shitty printers. They feel hella cheap too, the plastic on it, but most Epson printers do.

i do this. i can print resumes, draft papers, etc... trivially but get nicer quality stuff printed at my lab or some other place if need be. the cost of maintaining a color printer would just be obnoxious for me personally, and the initial cost of a really reliable monochrome laser printer (some brother printer) was so trivial that i couldn't even tell you the exact price now, ~4 years later.

Also forgot to mention this. Unless you are a graphic designer somehow living in the 80s and can't submit or show things online, you need to do this. Just make sure you get the ones with the chips in them. Shitty printer companies are starting to make it so that their printers will not accept third party carts.

>$60 at staples sale in 2009
>$30 worth of ebay ink, b/w and color, over 6 whole years broken into 3 year segment orders
>scanner has died in this one and going to let the ink I have left run out

Versus what $30+ a fucking pop to make a set of 4 $120 at every retail outlet. Okay I will take my slightly shitty quality, still more than acceptable, to save 90%

>mfw dug an HP LaserJet P1006 out of the garbage
>three years ago
>never put toner in it
>it just keeps printing

>Laser color

Nah dude.
Dude, nah.

>can't print documents that law enforcement would want to track back to me
honestly dude just accept that your needs are obscure and definitely criminal in nature and buy a second printer for illegal shit.

>he doesn't want a government tracking code embedded in every page he prints
wew lad

Works out, if you're this typical privacy turd, you'll have an old ass laserjet that didn't have it yet. Or you just won't print because you have no need because you are a loser.

My needs are "being able to print a god damned plain black text document right this instant I don't have time to run out and buy another Yellow cartridge Jesus Christ"

i agree that i would rather not have it, but there's a lot of stuff i would rather not have. if my alternative is to be stuck with a printer from 10+ years ago (or not print at all), there's not really any contest. the bigger picture of my life means that accepting some tracking code on my printed pages is a very tiny cost to me.

Virtually nothing I print is meant to be anonymous in the first place.

so then why does it matter that the printer leaves a fingerprint on the paper?

or was that image just a total red herring?

The fingerprint is what is using all the yellow even when you're just printing text, and when you're low on yellow the printer will refuse to print anything at all because it needs to do the fingerprinting.

wow. you know that there was no way anyone here was going to identify that criticism based on your initial post pictured, right?

why do you have to make a point like a nigger? lay out this claim at the outset. jesus fuck

What "information" does the printer "track"?
Only site I can turn up on this is EFF (autism) and they don't say what it does.
Hippie implication is "THEY'RE TRACKING U, MANNN"
Just like every other contrarian freetard fuck, by doing this you inevitably limit yourself to some shitty little list of "acceptable" stuff that's 15-20 years old. Reminds me of the assholes who insist on only running hardware that has motherboards in it that support coreboot. Don't be a neo-luddite.

>not only running motherboards that support coreboot

I work in a office store too, but just a pleb associate. I though it was just a gimmicky shitty thing too, but I gave it benefit of the doubt. We don't have a lot of feedbacks on it yet, so I don't have a strong negative opinion on it, but you're probably right.

Thanks for not truly bullying user.

He's alright, everyanon have to shitpost and tell some other user he's a faggot from time to time. Thanks anyway.

the printer doesn't track anything, it just leaves a fingerprint that can allow law enforcement to identify you based on the papers you distribute.

i'm not sure what your problem is. i'm the one saying that i agree in principle that this is not great, but that being a hippie/whatever about the principle is asinine. i have a modern printer despite my nominal objection to this practice because, in practice, it's not enough to get all twisted up over.

I replied to someone touting color laser as the end-game for consumer printing, forgive me for just assuming he was familiar with the fingerprinting.

Even people with no idea what steganography is have had experience with printers refusing to print because the yellow is low.

>be numerologyfaggot jerking off to pi
>There Are Numbers In Everything... I'm Intelligunt
>start seeing weird little marks on paper
>IT'S... "INFORMATION"
>Landlady blows down door, just like in the movie
>"rent is due fuck face"
>Drops bill on floor
>Bill has a cost
>Cost is made up of numbers
>Furiously jack off to new conspiracy which must exist here

I just looked this shit up. I'm so fucking appalled. I mean we can pressure governments and companies to stop doing this particular thing, but it seems they just KEEP DOING EVERY NEW REQUEST THE GOVERNMENT HAS FOR THEM TO KEEP TRACK OF PEOPLE. WHY!? WHEN WILL IT STOP!?

When they outlaw printers, only outlaws will be able to print "LOST CAT - NAME IS MR FLUFFLES - CALL 555-5555" flyers.

This is the story of the privacyfaggot attempting to use a printer
>Hey user. Can you make me a copy of this?
>TV is destroyed as gay little stage shows up in living room
>doing stupid ass little puppet dance
>"Printers printers printers printers... cha cha cha cha... da gubamint.... "they" "they" "they".... TRACKING U ALL...... more at 9"
>friend is already in car flooring it
>stage sprouts jets as he tapdances on it flying above car on freeway as everyone clears the way honking
>"HE LEAVES ME NO CHOICE"
>starts smoking a massive amount of weed while shitting off the side of the stage making sure to time his shits with saying "the government"
>overpass
>stage is destroyed cartwheeling into pavement
>raises hand with paper that says "Acceptable list of gay printers that I basically made up in my basement"
>camera pans away to show stars up above
>"...THEY'RE ARRANGED JUST LIKE THE YELLOW DOTS... MUH TRACKING!!!!!!!!!"