/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ [Open] [Open]

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

bain.com/bainweb/PDFs/Bain_Worldwide_Luxury_Goods_Report_2014.pdf
www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/it/Documents/about-deloitte/GP_Luxury_2014.pdf
mckinseyonmarketingandsales.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Japan_Luxury_report_2013.pdf
mckinseyonmarketingandsales.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Japan_luxury_market_report.pdf
shopcasio.com/product/databank-ca506b-1avt-black-face-black-band
shopcasio.com/product/databank-ca506g-9avt-gold-face-gold-band
youtube.com/watch?v=yBhBmORxe2M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for spherotourbillon

Think I found my next watch.

What's the cheapest Swiss watch with a tourbillon?

What's a good watch around 10k or less with lots of complications?

Just get a Rodina.

Which is considered a better movement? Automatic or Quartz?

Can someone explain to me the difference between the Seiko SNK809B and the SNK809? I realise that one has the nato strap and one the metal bracelet but is that the only difference between the two models? Is that what the B is for?

I ask because one is eligible for Prime shipping and the other isn't.

Tag Heuer Carrera Heuer-02T 16k.

do you (or anyone else here) have a source for this statistic

i tried google but as soon as you put japan swiss it immediately jumps to comparisons between the two

i believe the b stands for bracelet

So would mechanical computers such as the curta that work off of clockwork like mechanisms fit here in this thread?

Excellent, thank you

Does it tell the time?

Nice but it's fuckhueg. Any other suggestions?

It sounds like bullshit, m8

Besides, we all know the biggest consumers of luxury Swiss watches are the two biggest groups of rapacious brand whores on the planet: the Americans and the Chinese.

Curtas are really cool, even if they are literally made by a Mountain Jew. Not sure if I would classify them as watches, though some mechanical watches could be classified as mechanical computers.

the 8926OB was my first automatic and I liked it, as long as you don't mind how blatant of a Sub rip-off it is and the Invicta branding on the case

also a good durable beater from my experience as I've been really hard on it at work and doing outdoorsy stuff

So I always thought the statistic was a bit of an exaggeration since there are just so many more Americans and Chinese like someone else said. But you can try and lead between the lines in, for example:

bain.com/bainweb/PDFs/Bain_Worldwide_Luxury_Goods_Report_2014.pdf

or "Japan is the world’s second largest luxury market after the United States, according to Euromonitor"

www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/it/Documents/about-deloitte/GP_Luxury_2014.pdf

mckinseyonmarketingandsales.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Japan_Luxury_report_2013.pdf

"Japan
remains the world’s third-largest luxury
market, after the US and China."

mckinseyonmarketingandsales.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Japan_luxury_market_report.pdf

Who really cares? They spend fuck loads on good stuff!

np

well that's something at least

one of the first automatic watches i ever got was pic related (orient 2er00001b), which used to be one of the best sub "homages" you could get, along with the 8926ob.

it was really great at first but after a several months i began to hesitate to wear it because of how shameless a sub ripoff it was as stated. every schmuck would ask if it was a rolex from any distance and once they saw the dial they would do this sort of groaning "oh that's nice" sort of expression where they weren't impressed whatsoever and believed i was wearing some chinatown knockoff when i specifically bought a sub styled watch as opposed to a replica.

not saying i look for random peoples approval when i wear a watch, but it got so tiring having to hear this every time i wore it. i felt i was wearing a watch where there was no originality whatsoever as well.

nowadays i never wear it at all, wont get rid of it because it was my first mechanical. YMMV of course, just my experience.

In my occasional perusal of survival/shtf forums, I've stumbled onto something I was hoping to get you guys' opinion on.

Whenever watches come up, the opinion often surfaces that a mechanical or automatic would be better for shtf scenarios than a quartz. The reasoning generally revolves around two points:

1. A quartz watch uses a battery, which would be hard if not impossible to replace in a shtf scenario

2. A quartz watch is electronic, which (they claim) means it would be fried by an EMP and become useless, while a mechanical would keep on ticking.

Both of these claims, along with the overarching idea about the usefulness of a watch in a shtf scenario, are pretty dubious if you ask me, but I was wondering if I could get you guys' opinions.

But they're also (generally) less accurate, require more frequent servicing, require expertise to service, and more prone to damage.

I don't actually know which is better for shtf but I have both so if it's ever relevant I'll know.

How paranoid are you? Buy a couple of terrorist Casios ($15) and put them in a faraday cage. The batteries last for like 10 years

Mechanicals are not very rugged and will get beaten up and broken in combat situations. A few batteries will be easier to find then a watch repair guy with the tools for the trade

A mechanical will require a serivce at the best once every 10 years, a Quartz will need a serivce every 50 years, you just need to replace the batteries to keep it ticking

Learn to tell the time with the sun

This is just my opinion m8

Rally cars use them to calculate lap time so sortof

My thoughts exactly, I personally think that some kind of solar analog quartz would probably be the best shtf watch.

Oh I don't really worry about shtf stuff; I value it as a means of thinking about things like the unserviced durability of common items like watches or vehicles, but I don't expect a shtf scenario that requires said durability to ever occur.

What are you guys' thoughts specifically on the EMP claim? From the stuff I've read online, this doesn't seem to be a serious issue. For one, EMPs are a serious threat to large scale electronics, like power grids or industrial plants, but not really an issue for small scale stuff like cars, phones, and especially watches.

these debates never make sense to me other than an extension of "quartz vs mechanical". if there was some sort of emp your electronics will be destroyed by, the nuclear fallout will kill you soon enough that your watch issue will be irrelevant unless im wrong.

in the case of "it's just an emp with no nuclear fallout" it's still not even a real debate. if you are seriously preparing for an end of the world event, what you can do is get a gshock with tough solar and store it into an emp-proof box labeled "in case of emergency". you circumvent the emp vulnerability and battery changing drawbacks, while enjoying the benefits of quartz accuracy, infinite battery life and nearly an invulnerable watch.

the kicker is that the vast majority of people, including the ones who think they're special for stocking up on some campbells (survivalist/doomsday nutjobs), would be eradicated in a large scale event or be so poorly equipped to deal with the new world they would be dead soon. the civilized people who actually do make will wish they were dead just as soon. the problem is that no one thinks they are part of the vast majority, and everyone believes they are special and an exception.

it's fun to watch the walking dead and think "what if" but it's naive to take seriously. the people who would make it aren't people in civilized areas which are major targets. it's likely to be tribal-level barbaric types who already deal with a barren wasteland and hunting lions and shit with their bare hands, some zombies or hunger games would be childs play to these people.

inb4 "your talking out of your ass"; this entire debate consists of people talking out of their ass and making ridiculous speculations.

Some quartz watches are solar, so you could circumvent the replaceable battery issue that way. But those are, like all watches, eventually going to need replacement components or repair.

The emp issue is one you could explore, I'm not going to go there.

How hard did the shit hit the fan and why? Are you trying to scare a wolf away to gnaw on a carcass and are considering drinking your own piss like bear grylls? It doesn't matter what time it is.

But really, in other than the most basic survival time of day is very important. And even during the most basic survival situations, time of year, which some watches will help you keep, is still important.

But assuming not ALL of the shit hit the fan, there's still a lot of means of production and other people around, and working together on coordinated time is very useful. If you were one of the only ones with a working timepiece you might get a cushy job ringing a bell on the hour during the day until everyone can start getting reliable ways, as individuals, to keep track of time.

In regards to which is best. Why not both? How about a grand Seiko quartz with hermetically sealed movement and some spare batteries and a Sinn Ar-dehumidified, diapal mechanical? Maybe a g-shock too.

Keep in mind, if the watch is that precious and rare at that point, you're not going to wear it on your wrist anymore. Wrists pull many more Gs, take larger shocks and just more rough treatment than somewhere like your chest or torso. You're going to put it in a front stomach pocket most likely.

>basement jaxx

nostalgia'ing hard af

yessir!

>Keep in mind, if the watch is that precious and rare at that point, you're not going to wear it on your wrist anymore. Wrists pull many more Gs, take larger shocks and just more rough treatment than somewhere like your chest or torso. You're going to put it in a front stomach pocket most likely.
Pic related, this gentleman is secure in the fact that he always knows the time, even though shit has his the fan. There might be a g-shock on the end of that chain

My paranoid schizophrenia doesn't extend to end of the world situations, only to the government spying on me (afp and asio I know you're reading this) so I don't have much knowledge, I'm not sure what your current thoughts, ideas and preparedness are, but I think getting other things sorted first would be better, like a gun, proficiency in said gun and a decent amount of ammo

Is that real? The dial looks a bit wierd in the photo

it's real. it's the blue, titanium, liquidmetal PO.

Why the fuck would you cycle with a watch let a line a mechanical one? I'm pretty sure most bike computers tell time.

Cheap Casios have great battery life and EMPs are a meme senpai.

I haven't actually seen one in person, fair enough

Could of been a push bike m8

>Could of been
It's "Could have" you goat fucker.

*Coulda

Get fucked you pommy cunt

And me bro

Wear it anyway, it looks good.

I own a rolex, nobody asks if it's a rolex. When conversations about watches come up i avoid them because they don't believe it's a rolex until they have had their grubby pleb fingers all over it for 10 minutes.
Then it's all "but but mah ::generic watch:: is so much better because xyz"
Ah huh. Don't care

So tl:dr
Wear it anyway user and don't be ashamed it's a well made watch and that counts for more to those of us who do have a mememariner

I'm fairly sure I read something about G-shocks being EMP proof
Anyway the whole EMP thing is a meme. If it happens I'm sure you would have much bigger things to worry about than your fucking watch, also a mechanical would be magnetized as well.

I want to pick on the watch but i can't.
So:
Wrong arm douche

i'm left handed...

Hey hey
That's between you and your willie

I'm just being a tool
Is a nice watch

First for poor

Tomorrow I'm going to pick this bad boy up,
for 40 eurocoins

could have done worse.

post a watch you absolutely can't stand /wt/

what a great post.

>Also, does any watch have lumed day and date window? Trouble is these turn over at midnight so any day time exposure will not work for the fields after midnight changes. This really is not hard. Trouble is noone provides what I ask for.
Lange has lumed date on a couple models. They have a semi-transparent dial so that the date wheels still receive light.

any Seiko 5 (except the SNZH57)

I can't stand the fact that Casio refuses to make a proper steel cased digital anymore.
Also hate the lack of dressy digitals, pic related is the best I could find.
Thankfully Pulsar makes some but the module is shit for anything other than time telling.

This is pretty much the last one they make
It would be a great watch too if it weren't so fucking huge

>watch

ALL THE CASIOS

C
A
S
I
O

Fuck digi digi

Casio is releasing the new version of the Databank this month. I've never owned one, but it looks nicer than the old model.

shopcasio.com/product/databank-ca506b-1avt-black-face-black-band

shopcasio.com/product/databank-ca506g-9avt-gold-face-gold-band

I really hate that design
If you're going to spend 60 bucks on a databank, at least get a proper one. This module is just too basic to warrant that price tag.
Not to mention the CALCULATOR all over the bottom, what the fuck were they thinking?
Casio USA makes me mad.

>spherotourbillon

holy shit I'm in love

youtube.com/watch?v=yBhBmORxe2M

Well the prices on the Casio website seem inflated. They list some Illuminator watches for $60 but you could get them for $40 at Walmart.

> two hundred thousands dollars

>$60

fucken dropped

I wouldn't pay more than 15 bucks for that module.
I think I got mine for 12$ last year from amazon.
Again, if you're gonna buy a databank, buy a proper one. Pic related is only 16 bucks

>thickness the size of a brick

Something like a navitimer with built in "calculators" would be potentially useful in the situation you're describing. Have a look into them.

Not a speedmaster. Not a chronometer. No chronograph... see, it's easy.

>mfw chinks on aliexpress call a visible balance wheel a "tourbillion"

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>tfw Casio slaughtered all their steel digitals
Why do I even bother staying alive at this point?

>digital

I wonder why you keep living myself

Annnd new Amphibia and Komandirskie models are coming up.

This time, the bezels and crowns are steel, and are domestically made.

New octagonal case.

And steel crowns&bezels

Can someone recommend good online watch stores in Europe?

Can we actually talk about time?
Is time.gov accurate? I ask this because I use timedatectl to sync my system time via ntp and it's always 1 second behind time.gov
Should I be trusting the ntp server or time.gov?

>Can we actually talk about time?
no

>"I'll take it". I said instantly as I pulled out my cheque and my trusty pen. Never had I been so sure about getting something my entire life. "Is it okay if I wear this right now? " I politely asked the man on the counter. "It's all yours now , Sir" he said with a smile. He has seen far too many millionaires come and go but very few like myself with a good taste. I proudly walked out with my new Bulgari Carillon on my wrist. I walked down the street and could see people already looking at my hand. I was now in the spotlight, the world at my feet. I could feel my cold Rolex in my pocket. "Don't need this anymore" I thought to myself and pulled it out. There was a homeless man sitting on the curb ,looking at my watch too, not really sure what it is. I smiled at him and tossed the Rolex in his hat. A generous contribution I must say, he probably had 20 dollars worth of coins in there and now he had a rolex to go with it. He gasped in astonishment , so did people around him who saw me do it. But they all understood why it had to be done. I was now too good to be seen with a Rolex. I looked at my watch once again, closed my eyes as it chimed like heaven's bells. And then my stupid mobile phone wakes me up to it's annoying ringtone. I wake up and look at the time. My Rolex on the bedside table read 7:00 am. Meant time to wake up and continue my shitty life as a mere peasant.

these are tastefully designed desu. Vostok is doing things right for once.

If only they wrote 200 m instead 21 jewels on the dials, these would be much better.

>Bulgari Carillon
That's one of the ugliest watches ever made

They are pretty good, what are the prices like?

I think a part of Vostoks appeal was their obscure looks

Vostok making watches which aren't absolutely hideous? Nice.

740 and 713 look nice.

>Not wearing a humvee on your wrist

Well, 480 series were around 200-190 bucks.

But those had solid endlinks and mineral crystals, and the newer ones are all inhouse/locally made.

Digging the 711 dirskie myself.

Holy shit where do you get seiko 5's for $3

>$3
???

>digital

I like the 714

Kill yourself

>pulsar

Slav watches are pretty cool

Slav watches are pretty poor*

Problem?

>tfw got a 95 on my Final
Time to buy a new watch~

Aren't these the same as the old USSR cases? I wouldn't mind though.

Just respond with "not every watch in the world is a Rolex, you know, and Rolex isn't even the best brand".

>mfw there are people this retarded
>mfw the world ends and what they can think about is the battery of the watch

In the land of blind men, the one eyed man is king.