Who else here is /PCI passthrough/?

Who else here is /PCI passthrough/?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#ACS_Override_Patch)
fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.117-1/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Using_pci-stub_.28legacy_method.2C_pre-4.1_kernels.29
tonymacx86.com/threads/sapphire-radeon-hd7750-low-profile-edition-uefi-gop-vbios.129012/
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

man i wish i could do that but im a bit of a daft cunt to get trought all the qemu setup and all that shit, also i dont have integrated graphics

do you get the same performance you would running it natively? i've heard some people say it has too much overhead, maybe i could buy a cheap gt210 or something and try sometime

Mhm!

Had to turn of the HD audio kernel driver because it grabs the nvidia audio before pci-stub does, and I also had to pass in my USB headset which is a bit shitty. Otherwise it's working pretty great desu

It would be fairly accurate to say you get at least ~95% native performance.

Only real drag is the IO with say a hard drive, but that can be all but eliminated with an SSD or even better a RAM disk.

Here's a reasonable guide: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

wouldn't it be easier to just embrace GNU/Linux man

inb4
>muh games

Not him, I'm getting really close to native performance. Most games I run pass 60 fps without v-sync so if there's a minor performance loss I've never noticed it, you might if you play stuff that puts quite the load on your card.

I never had that sort of problem with my AMD audio, I guess it's an NVIDIA driver thing.

I had to pass in my USB headset too, reinstalled like 4 times before I finally gave in and just passed the damn thing through.

Another caveat I've noticed is that you can't use AMD MFT, so using riftcat with my gear is impossible atm.

muh games

seems pointless

>I never had that sort of problem with my AMD audio, I guess it's an NVIDIA driver thing.
No, that's not it. Basically the problem is that my kernel has the intel PCA built in and that can't be loaded as a module. Everything in the GPU's IOMMU group needs to be passed to VFIO for it to work, not just the GPU, which also means passing in audio. Because I use pci-stub that means either I let the kernel take nvidia audio and allow me to use the intel audio, or I do passthrough. That's just a drawback of the way my own personal setup is, there might be a way to stop HD audio in Linux from picking up the GPU.

It's useful in a niche way. If you're someone who very rarely boots up Windows just to play games or edit a PDF, then it works really well since you don't need to partition your drives horribly and it's much more convenient than rebooting. If not, then yes it's pointless.

been working on it
After doing the driver install, i just get a blue screen
I think it might be something with me patching the kernel to disable some security feature on the PCI bus

I used to pci-passthrough with my machine, but i was getting some kind of weird microstutters in all games on windows.
Never figured out why or what was that.

I scraped whole windos vm though, now that all games i play are native on GNU anyway.

Ah that's right, there's a workaround for that I believe. (wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#ACS_Override_Patch)

Otherwise if that doesn't work, all you can really do is be careful when choosing your hardware in future upgrades. (IE: Zen/Vega)

fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.117-1/
You were probably using IDE or something, use SCSI.

The ACS override patch moves both the GPU audio and GPU out of its IOMMU group. I'm using it to pull the GPU away from the PCI controller. Even if it did seperate either it still wouldn't solve HD audio picking it up lol, it doesn't care about IOMMU groups at all. HD audio (read: front panel audio) depends on PCI-audio in the kernel as well. So yeah I'm pretty much screwed until I can figure out how to get that specific kernel driver to stop picking up my GPU.

you may need to fall back to the legacy way of doing it
Use the pci-stub driver instead, as that lets you specify a specific hardware ID
then your audio will not be grabbed as only the GPU ids will be in the list

forgot the link
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Using_pci-stub_.28legacy_method.2C_pre-4.1_kernels.29

I'm using PCI-stub. The GPU audio is still picked up by the kernel if HD audio is enabled, probably due to the fact that kernel command line args get processed late.

That problem would entirely go away if either HD audio wasn't dependant on PCI audio, or if both were able to be staggered during the init process. They can't be loaded as modules unfortunately.

I'm using it for VGA output on my GNU Turd kernel

was going to do this for better performance so people could stop bitching about lack of computers

but no 'linux is gay' they said ' i want my own computer ' they said

oh well now they have nothing.

you're still a fruit tho

So I have just a GTX 970 with dual monitor setup.
Is this fine or do I need a second GPU?

I already know I have a VT-x/VT-d compatible CPU and Motherboard but I'm very new to understanding GPU passthrough

Unless you have a KVM or something, yeah.

You could theoretically stream your linux desktop to your phone for emergencies but... Couldn't ya just spend $30 on some cheapo card for a display?

you don't need a separate card if you have integrated graphics

Yeah that'll work, but there's a few things you'll need to do. I do it with a single GPU.

First, you're going to need to have integrated graphics. Then, make sure your motherboard supports multi monitors from the iGPU. So for both your monitors you run two seperate display cords to your monitors from the iGPU.

Then, you pass the card to VFIO instead of nvidia drivers, and start your VM. You run a second cord from the monitor you want to use for the VM to your GPU, which remains inactive while you use linux until you switch to the VM.

Your GPU must have a UEFI BIOS, which I think the 900 series all do

I have a spare 9800 GT that works fine, and a GTX 660 that is prone to BSODs, but that pretty much means I have to get a switch for dual monitor setup to toggle whenever I want one display for VM doesn't it?

apple shill

Alright. I'll look into it thanks.

So you do learn something new every day. I might take a crack at this soon. Anything to move me off winblows, even if I do have to use it for some of my steam library. I miss based bspwm so much.

Good luck.

I just stopped playing PC games so I don't even bother with shit like that. If it doesn't come out on GOG or physical copy with a DRM free version for Linux then I don't care. I mostly play on console now. In the future if I get a job that requires Windows applications they will most likely furnish me one.

AHA

I loaded the PCI audio, but loaded my specific card as a module to be loaded by init, staggering like I wanted. So although the kernel still picks up the card, it doesn't actually using it, making way for VFIO. Perfect.

dick loving whore

>using
use*

>Display Port KVM Switch $80
o-oh nevermind then

>KVM switch
but why?

You just change your monitor input to the one plugged into your graphics card when you boot the VM. It will automatically output its display to that monitor.

>Have iGPU
>Have external GPU
>ASUS HD7750 doesn't support UEFI/GOP

Damn.

you might be able to find a patch, I did for my 660. Be careful

tonymacx86.com/threads/sapphire-radeon-hd7750-low-profile-edition-uefi-gop-vbios.129012/

I think ASUS officially have one but the flasher only runs on ASUS mainboards.

Ah yeah, I'm on an asus board. There is a patched version of that tool floating around but I don't think it works on anything but the 600 series and the 7970

dat pirated GTA V installing

how do you do that

You plug your GPU into the monitor you intend to switch. You also plug said monitor into your iGPU or whatever youre going to use to run your linux desktop. When the VM is switched on and the GPU is passed to VFIO (bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768) it will automatically display on your second monitor through that GPU. Then you just press the button on your monitor that switches its input to the VM. Here I drew you something.