Why *BSD?

What's the deal with *BSD? I really don't understand why the average joe should use it when there are already 1000s of freedom respecting Distributions like Gentoo or Arch?

BSD is for men
Linux is for boys
*tips*

The BSDs don't really about muh freedoms they're just OSes that are FOSS.

What OS is for girls and women?

OSX

OP here. But why should I care about 'muh freedom when I already have GNU/Linux? Are there any advantages?

Or, men don't need to do what random strangers on /g say to do to be a man, and use whatever they damn well please.

I like Gentoo more than BSD but BSD has some good shit. They even have Portage now. HardenedBSD looks pretty cool.

newfags that think you aren't hardcore enough for not being into the REAL COMMERCIAL UNIX©™ meme

bsdfags

Best reason to use BSD: it makes Stallman cry as one uses a complete non-GNU operating system. Yeah, cry me a river, hippy, yessssssss.

BSD is for those who find Linux too mainstream. I'll call you a hipster faggot if I see you running this as a desktop OS

When loonurds is 2 mainstream 4 u

It is infested with the ***PLEB*** and that AUTOMATICALLY makes it godawful!

>They even have Portage now
Portage was inspired from FreeBSD's ports

>gentoo or arch
>free distros
laughed a bit

It does it better

There is none. 3 trolls troll around trying to con people into using their templeos-tier garbage.

Portage is superior in every single way, shape and form.

How is it not free

Whats the deal with Linux? I don't understand why the average joe should use it

It's worthless garbage.
Try it yourself.
You'll see.

This.
I honestly recommend anyone who's considering it to try out BSDs. They're all absolute dogshit, and your experience will speak for itself.

This is unfortunately true. Fun to play with, but ultimately retarded and useless for anything productive.

You know, like OP's penis.

fucking GNU cucks get out
if you don't enjoy true freedom (tm) instead of rms's communist shit you can go take it up the ass by microsoft REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

samefag

I appreciate *BSD for the codebase, which is really clean, over something like GNU, but realistically speaking it's got no desktop usage, even server usage is already a bit obscure (although, say, FreeBSD is an excellent choice for a server OS).

On professional environments, you'll either find enterprise linux distributions, or windows server (on smaller businesses, more often than not, the second option). That's the jist of it.

Hey fuck you Tyrone, I don't give a shit about sweaty nerd politics. From a practicality standpoint, *BSD isn't. It's a fun toy, sure. I've enjoyed installing it for learning and lolz, but if I had to use it day to day I would kill myself and others with old Ethernet cables.

This fag speaks the truth.

because it is OS X. ALL OS BUT OS X AND WINDOWS ARE TIMESINKS AND EVEN HACKINTOSH IS LESS OF A TIMESINK THAN FOSS STUFF
AND NOBODY BUT NEETS USE THE FOSS OS

Sure is summer here.

independent kernel/userland development
runs on exotic architecture
generally feels more clean and robust
jails
ports/package system
no systemd
other than that I use Ubuntu

That's why I use ubuntu 16.04.
It just werks and unity is bretty naise

>jails
Are insecure bloat t. theo de radt
ps we just invented jails and you should use them they're the best thing ever openbsd wins again.

I think OpenBSD devs actually don't mind the concept of jails it's just the way they're implemented would require too much work to implement on OpenBSD. They see their implementation of chroot and privilege separation and the many mitigations they've implemented as a better solution.

>seriously responding to the INNOVASHUN! shitposter who's just changing his tactics up a bit

ZFS implementation that isn't shit
Direct Unix descendant that behaves similarly to actual Unix
No garbage like systemd
No cancer like GPL software
Made by people who care about good code more than spreading a dead ideology
Made by people who actually know their shit rather than CS undergrads from Sup Forums and underpaid Pajeets from Redhat
NetBSD runs* on almost literally everything
*mileage beyond "it boots" may vary

Is there a good way to get autologins on OpenBSD's version of getty?

NetBSD has the "al" option but it doesn't seem to exist in OpenBSD.

('re wrong)

I'll still be on 14.04 LTS until the end of summer probably.

If only I could install Linux it on a chink tablet or a chink TV box...

Netflix uses free bsd

NetBSD is dank, fuck off.

What kind of freedom does BSD offer that GNU does not?

The freedom to use code licensed under CDDL namely ZFS

>>Direct Unix descendant that behaves similarly to actual Unix
This doesn't mean anything

Freedom my ass. BSD was locked up in legal battles for years, so they were too busy waging their bullshit holywars