/sqt/ - Stupid questions thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
DO NOT BUMP, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Take at least 10 seconds to google first
Please make sure you've read the sticky before posting.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use as a link to find the sqt thread.

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

gskill.com/en/product/f4-3333c16q-64gvr
gskill.com/en/product/f4-3333c16q-64gvk
forensicswiki.org/wiki/Tools:Data_Recovery#Partition_Recovery
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Edge-13-Series.26145.0.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_Arch_Linux_on_a_USB_key
skervesen.eu
forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/65739-KMSpico-Official-Thread
pcpartpicker.com/p/HyXbsY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Off yourself.

Muslim detected. Relax shitbird, it's just a joke.

Are external HDDs less reliable than internal ones?

Let's assume we're comparing the latest WD Blue 2TB to the latest WD Elements 2TB.

How do I troubleshoot this?

My Chinkpad won't turn on anymore. The LED on the logo lights up, the disk starts spinning and the fan makes a very quiet revving noise - in a pattern like "vrrrmm vrm vrrrmm vrm". The screen doesn't come on.
Sometimes if you shake the thing really hard it either turns on or gives a beep code. Unfortunately I couldn't make it do that in a while, so I don't know what the beeps mean.

If it does turn on theres a big chance it just completely freezes sooner or later, both on Wangblows and Leenux.

I don't even know where to start, it's so weird.

In my experience they're pretty much the same. Only real difference is the external HDD has a higher chance of becoming permanently damaged from falls since it will have a higher chance of being exposed to them.

Everytime i use a filechooser,be it in a browser or an application,after about 5 uses,it locks up and cannot escape the filechooser,forcing it to close.Running it from terminal shows no errors.

I already opened it up and removed the Harddrive. idk what that should have accomplished but I remember it gave me lots of sector errors up until it crapped itself.

IMO internal HDs always live longer, since they can be cooled easier and are not as exposed to outside bullshit or falls etc. inside a case.
source: ruined tons of external HDs, not a single internal one.

It sounds like motherboard is kill. Not much you can do except buy another chinkpad or build a cheap AM1/FM2+ desktop build if you don't travel much.

first

Soooo I have two sticks of 8gb ram, my pc only detects the stick in the first slot. After some fucking around I was able to find that apparently my computer thinks I have 8gb of virtual ram, and 8gb of physical ram. I don't even fucking know, and I can't do the ram swap test because my hsf is massive and hangs over the second channel., don't really have the nerve to take it off after I just built this thing. Anything I can do in the bios to potentially unfuck my ram?

Am I retarded or is there no actual difference between these RAM sets:

gskill.com/en/product/f4-3333c16q-64gvr

and

gskill.com/en/product/f4-3333c16q-64gvk

I was installing ubuntu on a seperate hard drive on my computer, and i had to cut it short so I just turned off my computer. I plugged all my normal hard drives back in, and rebooted my system.
It gave me a weird error message that had to do with a NAS filesystem and it was unable to boot.
I popped in a windows 10 repair disc, did the two bootrec commands, and it was fine.
Now, i just got home from work and i sat down and turned my PC on. It flashed the screen that said "f11 to blah DEL to blah" and then it went straight to "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot media.."
I popped in my Win10 repair disc and hit a key.
It did nothing. So i hit my numlock key to see if my keyboard was even working, and it didnt light up.
So i plugged it into a USB 2.0 port and rebooted, and it still wouldnt let me hit a key.
So i unplugged and plugged in my computer, booted it up, and it went to the "f11 blah DEL blah" and i hit Delete, and my keyboard isnt working.

TL;DR keyboard isnt working on boot and i cant et past the "reboot and select proper boot device"

>gskill.com/en/product/f4-3333c16q-64gvk
Pretty much the same DDR4 memes.

hold up

>gskill.com/en/product/f4-3333c16q-64gvr
>ends with "r"
>Ram sticks is red

>gskill.com/en/product/f4-3333c16q-64gvk
>ends with "k"
>Ram sticks are black

Out of curiosity, what type of Thinkpad do you have? I actually had a VERY similar problem with my T520. I was able to get it to boot by clearing the CMOS, but I continued to be plagued with all sorts of bizarre system issues and instability. It just sort of started working after awhile, but I returned it nonetheless.

How are you putting them in?
0 2
1 3
?

Bless your heart

I have to recover a partition from a disk where the partition table & backup partition table were rewritten with new partitions but the old partitions are still (probably) on the disk.

I did some cursory googling and found this list of partition recovery software:

forensicswiki.org/wiki/Tools:Data_Recovery#Partition_Recovery

Which ones has Sup Forums tried, and how did it go?

how bad is this for a 3 year old laptop?

You should get Corsair Vengeance. It's what Batman uses.

Channels one and three is how the manual told me, I have a gigabyte z170x.

kek

fixed it, removed the CMOS battery and i was able to use my keyboard and change some boot settings

Try them in 2 and 4

I wish I could tell you, this thing is so abused that any evidence of a serial number is just completely missing.

It should be this:
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Edge-13-Series.26145.0.html

Is it possible to make a window click in place on the half of the screen that's facing the other monitor when you have dual monitors?

Do these gigantic fucking RAM heatsinks actually do anything?

yes, Windows 10.

Up until now (probably 1 or 2 weeks) my RAID0 SSD array has been fine. Playing some games yesterday and today now randomly results in the RAID array dropping 1 of the drives rendering it useless. The data itself is not gone because a restart restores the array.

Is there any reason a drive would just drop out of the array?

Unfortunately, Batman isn't running an X99 system.

Which OS? On Win 10 you can if you just very slowly drag the window from 1 screen to the next. On Win 7 this is not possible. Dunno bout any other OSs.

>edge
Whelp, there's probably your problem. Hate to say it, but those are shit and known to have electrical issues.

At any rate, my only recommendation is to try clearing your CMOS. That seemed to at least alleviate my boot issues, and I had problems pretty similar to yours.

They give you a surface to hold onto when installing, and look nice when color-coordinated with other components.

Seems like it has some fragmentation but honestly close to typical 80-100MB/s HDD write speeds I've seen on all my 5200 laptop internal and external HDDs.

>fell for the ssd raid0 meme
Dont use software raid,or as you are experencing, you will have random problems with no way to diagnose them

>drop out of the array
Either its dead,or your software array is just shitting its self.There really isnt anything to go with if you dont post logs,if you even have the capability of having logs on a software raid

>games
you clealy dont understand what an ssd will accomplish for you.

Buy a 2 or 4 port raid card and have proper performance.

best distro for customizing and running from usb?
and please don't say any of the buntus with persistence, I've tried that and found it to be unreasonably slow/laggy

puppy or arch

Sup shills
So i'm i okay on

i7600k and a R9 380 4GB SOC (1000Mhz)
on my 1080p monitor?

tried puppy but wasn't satisfied with either the save file method or the install to usb, how's a persistent arch on usb work? just install arch but to a usb instead of hdd? is it still portable or is it then tied to the system used to install to usb?

I'm on 8.1

Anyone here have a GA-Z170X UD5? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Thinking about picking one up.

Furthermore, how suitable would it be for a moderate-high overclock of a 6700K? I wouldn't be doing any ridiculously extreme shit, mind you. I could spend just a bit extra and get one of the "Gaming G1" series boards which have a more stout VRM, but fuck me, I really don't have a stomach for all the gaymur branding/aesthetics.

Its an independent setup
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installing_Arch_Linux_on_a_USB_key

Sure buy skylake is a meme and so are i7s. You're spending more money for little to no real world improvement in vydias.

Believe me, I know how shit it is. Thanks for the tipp, I'm trying to get to that now... Unfortunately there are a lot of superglued on parts in my way.

Are these components you intend to buy?

If so, hold off on buying the GPU for the time being. I generally detest the "just wait lol" meme, but the new Nvidia offerings are coming out over the course of the next few weeks, and Polaris should be hitting very soon thereafter.

I have a 6700K and a UD5 TH, which is basically the same thing with 2 Thunderbolt and some extra USB ports. 4.7GHz at 1.3V.

Skylake and i7s are a meme senpai. Just go with an LGA 1150 motherboard + unlocked haswell i5. You can find a decent Z97 LGA 1150 motherboard for like $100 for overclocking.

Gonna be buying an SSD for my desktop soon. Are all hard drives the same size (besides the smaller laptop ones)? I don't want to buy one and then it end up not fitting.

What are the odds of Broadwell-E prompting a new motherboard chipset? I know it will work on X99, but is it reasonable to expect something new to replace it?

Most SSDs are 2.5". Most HDDs are 3.5". 'smaller laptop ones' are 2.5" as well.

All ssds are 2.5 factor

24" 1ms (ASUS VS248H-P) or 21" 5ms (VS229H-P)?

I heard you were talking shit. Like I wouldn't find out.

That is an m.2 ssd,not an ssd.

>ssd,not an ssd
Do you have any self awareness?

Most SSDs are 2.5"(7mm).

Is a ferrari a van?
Is a tank a car?

I got a i7 because i'm keeping it for a good 10 years also because i want M.2 30GB/s, GPU is meh because I bought that on release.

I wanta wait untill the 1070 does down a bit
my country is a cunt at prices

I don't play much new vidya

So I don't really care and i'm not falling for the VR meme yet.
I'm going to stick to 2015 games and shit for a few years i'm into alot of retro games at the moment apart from the up and coming mass effect 4 and fallout 4 because GUNS 'n shit !

He means to say that NVMe SSS's are not the same as SATA 3 for obvious reasons and i think he's talking about the connector

ROFL.
M.2 SSD >SATA 3 anything

to be fair old m.2's are not much faster than a SATA 3 not including VNAND or 3DNAND M.2 SSD's

>SSS's
SSD's

Leave it to Sup Forums to fuck up analogies.
Both a Ferrari and a tank are vehicles.

>I got a i7 because i'm keeping it for a good 10 years also because i want M.2 30GB/s, GPU is meh because I bought that on release.
>M.2
So you just really like memes then? You should consider joining reddit.

Thanks anons

Is there a good alternative to adaway. I don't want to void my warranty to root it

Thanks, sounds good.

Thank you for your concern, but I was able to get it for a very good price, and it's not just only for gaymen, I need it for CAD as well, and maybe some streaming and other CPU intensive tasks too.

So they are all vehicles,so a tank uses tires and prius uses tracks?

I never implied they used the same connector, but they are both SSDs no matter how you look at it. Stop being autistic or stop posting.

sorry bruh, you can't tell him that, I just checked the rules and there's not one against posting while autistic

I cheaped out and bought an asrock extreme3 a few years ago, and I think it's the reason my USB ports have always been underpowered and flaky. If I were to replace it, what z87 1150 board would be ideal? I may do some light air overclocking but certainly nothing extreme.

I just basically started this whole computer thing. What are the basic programs I should get and where should i get them? i.e. Zip program, different o.s. and how to launch it, torrents, stuff... I know it's stupid but i've never really used computers, But now it's all i have

I'm going to back up my data and do a fresh install of Windows 8 on my comp again (gonna update to 8.1 of course).

How do I activate Windows 8 once i've reinstalled it again?

Web Browser:
Chrome (fast, consumes more RAM)
Firefox (slow, consumes less RAM)

Playing Media:
MPC-HC (most video files)
VLC (broken or obscure video files)
Foobar2000 (music)

Drawing and image editing:
Gimp (image editor)
Inkscape (vector editor)
Krita (drawing)

Video encoding:
Handbrake (basic encodes)
MeGUI (advanced encodes)
MKVToolNIX (MKV editor)

Video editing:
VirtualDub + ffmpeg plugin (simple video editor)
Blender (advanced video editor)

Audio encoding:
fre:ac

WebM encoding:
FFMpeg

Audio editing:
Audacity

System monitoring:
Open Source Hardware Monitor

All programs are completely free btw and have no ads.

I'm building a Skervesen guitar, and I have no clue to have these options = True

The form is on the front page
skervesen.eu

I'm trying to clean up my friends dad's computer and I have done a bunch of work to it already but..

>Told him I'd put Kaspersky trial on it
>not gonna buy it for him
>He was using e set (which couldn't find anywhere on the computer)
>Kaspersky is installing, and trying to remove e set
>It keeps restart after "removing incompatible software"
>But nothing changes

What do I do from here?

I can't remove Kaspersky because it hasn't even installed yet. Plz help

Forgot

Torrent Client:
Tixati

Compression:
7-zip

He didn't tell me he had e set on it btw. He said he didn't know what antivirus he had

>Go to leledit
I like meme's but ya know that's a bit OTT.

KMSPico:
forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/65739-KMSpico-Official-Thread

Well obviously you have to get rid of e set first senpai. Click on the start taskbar and type in "Add or remove programs". Then search up e set or whatever and get rid of it.

If you still can't get rid of the fucker there or it isn't there then you will have to start your computer in safe mode and search for it in the program file directories on C:\ and delete the files within to get rid of the old antivirus.

Finally I recommend you install the free version of Malwarebytes instead, it's the last decent free antivirus out there. All the other ones are bloated as fuck and consume a fuckton of CPU resources just to exist doing nothing but look fancy.

>Karpersky for cleaning
Malwarebytes+Adwcleaner is all you need to clean a PC unless there is something wrong/shady with it.
Add uBlock origin if it doesnt have it.

How do I save an image directly to a hidden folder? I right-click, click "save as", open up desired folder, and I get this snarky lil message saying: "you can't save here"

I use Kaspersky myself and I love it. AlsoI thought I could use malware bytes alongside kaspersky with no conflict

>parents computer "magically" updates to Win 10
>they say the mouse doesn't work
>check it out
>the cursor isn't even on the screen
>update all drives
>check the mouse driver
>Pluralinput Mouse 0.8.2.0
>Device Status: This device cannot start. (Code 10)
>Insufficient system resources ezist to complete the API.

How do I fix this cuck machine?

Upgrade to W7 or W8.1.

>How do I fix this cuck machine?
plug in mouse
open settings -> recovery
"go back to windows 10"
wait 5 minutes.

I know asking this is shit and not really welcome, but I'm going to ask anyway.

How does my budget build look?pcpartpicker.com/p/HyXbsY I'm concerned about putting the graphics card on it, since the motherboard looks pretty small.

where can i find extensive, fair reviews of modern televisions?

Should I wait for Kaby Lake to come out before I get a new computer? I think I might benefit from the hardware 10-bit support for the times when I don't download HorribleSubs.

I have this python script that won't fucking work. Tried to implement it in bash and fail as well. I think my comprehension of for loops and programming in general is fucking abysmal :

#!/usr/bin/python
from os import system

answer = [system("netstat -alpntu46 |grep 'ESTABLISHED\|SYN_RECV' | awk '{ print $5 }' |cut -d: -f1")]

for i in answer:
system('whois %s' % i )

It just lists the IP's but doesnt give any whois information, just say's "No whois server is known for this kind of object.". It works without the for loop, but that's not what I'm trying to do.

Read Logicalincrements.

>32GB ADATA SSD for FUCKING $30
Get a 240GB SP550 atleast, or save for a good one.
Get the 1TB WD Blue for $10 more.
Get the 75W GTX 950 instead the 90W one if you are going to pay $145 for it.

What IS Linux?

How do I disable this from popping up after EVERY bootup?

I think it has to do with my new Nvidia gfx card now, no more motherboard piece of shit card

Tried safe mode and still can't find e set.
It's like it doesn't exist on this computer but Kaspersky is picking it up. When kaspersky tries to remove it and restarts, kaspersky opens again and it just does the same thing over.. I can't remove Kaspersky thru control panel. Should I delete the Kaspersky install file and just give it back to him? There is obviously e set in there somewhere, and I have cleaned about 1000 registry errors and the guy had 5 different "toolbars" installed. The comp is clean, but I'm stuck on this antivirus shit

Wait for Zen instead.

>I think I might benefit from the hardware 10-bit support for the times when I don't download HorribleSubs.
On a desktop? Power consumption between software and hardware 10-bit decoding is pretty meaningless. You'll save like a few cents a year. Your monitor waste more energy playing back chinese cartoons than the processor does decoding the video.

Anyway if you're interesting in hardware decoding then you'd just get a GPU and use MPC + madvr. This is only really useful if you're playing 4k blu-ray remuxes of chinese cartoons though.

Uninstall that garbage (catalyst control center)

pm this user.

I need WiFi for my desktop soon.
Internal card or USB nub? What transfer rate is really needed? Anything else to look out for?

>desktop
hardwire if possible, otherwise nub (assuming you have plenty of unused usb ports in the back of your tower)

>What transfer rate is really needed?
If you're asking the question, then you don't need it. You'd know if you did.

Afaik any stick that you get should be AC series (ac1200 is pretty standard) but it really depends what you are trying to do/stream. Just remember that no matter what you do, it really depends on your internet speed.