Stupid Questions Thread /sqt/

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
DO NOT BUMP, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Take at least 10 seconds to google first
Please make sure you've read the sticky before posting.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use as a link to find the sqt thread.

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Jumbo_frames#Netctl
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IK01PJC/
getfedora.org/en/workstation/prerelease/
stackoverflow.com/a/440240
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Friend of mine is having a problem with her computer

"Was not able to konfigurate Windows-updates. Reloading to a previous stage."
And now all my monitors turned black.

its a fresh install. any ideas?

Is there any program that will convert files to PDF on windows?

I'm looking for a command line tool

So I got this really annoying problem in emacs and OS X.
I can't write in LaTeX because emacs intercepts my '\' command. Which means I can't write \anything
Anyone know how I can get Ctrl+Shift+7 binded to produce a \ instead?

What vpn would Sup Forums recommend,that is 100mbit unmetered?

I'm looking to build a work computer for my mom and I noticed the CPU I bought for myself a few years ago (4670) outperforms the current i5 in the ~185USD price point (6400) which is around what I paid

Is this just intel Jewery or am I an idiot?
The only benefit to this new CPU seems to be that it's actually available at a normal price

Huawei P8 Lite or LG G3 S? Anything else in their price range?

I use an i5 2500k which supposedly has an integrated graphical chipset but it doesn't show with lspci. Do I need to wire something?

what's this "4g"?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G
1st search engine result

Should I pursue a career in theoretical or applied computer science? On one hand, writing programs is kinda cool and theory is rarely applicable anywhere other than universities. On the other, I don't want to be a code monkey, and the theory of computers if very interesting.

What font is this?

Academia versus Industry. Don't get into theoretical stuff if you don't wish to work in an academical field.
Also most theoretical comsci degrees are math-oriented or at least have a large amount of math classes; that's how it usually goes in my county.

Also, math is way different than what you've learned until now (I take it you just gratuated high school) and might get old very, very quickly if you aren't really into it, just because you had passable/good grades in hs doesn't mean you'll have an easy time at uni

What file do i put the following in the "profile"
ExecUpPost='/usr/bin/ip link set eth0 mtu 9000'

I have made a "profile" that has the connection data,that works,but when ever i add the above line,it just errors/ignores it and starts the profile for the connection
Is there a "profile" beyond the one with the connection data i am missing?

Source:wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Jumbo_frames#Netctl

>windows phone
I had faith in you Sup Forums

Which version? This sounds like a problem I've had with win10 and win7 on dual-boot setups. I resolved it on the win7 dual boot one by powering down, booting, and running windows update again. It wasn't able to finish all the recommended updates I requested, but I didn't care, since I was updating it to 10.

windows 7

I'll give her your info

What do I need to know about buying tape drives for long term backup? How much should I expect to spend?

physical block size is 4096 and my logical block size is 512 so in parted does it only matter that i put Start? as 63 or is it more complicated

gnome-mplayer flickers black when losing or regaining focus. Anyone have this problem before?

Looks like terminus to me.

So say I wanted to go full autist and capture every moment X happens across every episode in my favourite anime, and then compile it into one video, what tools would I need?
I have the episodes already.

Would Avidemux do the job fine, or is there something far better suited and not as fiddly?

>when x happens
Is it in the same spot on every episode?

>one video
mkvmerge

any reason not to buy amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IK01PJC/

what filesystem should i use for storage

Can you burn a cd iso on a dvd assuming the disc drive can read both?

Nah, it's going to take manual searching through every episode which I've got time to do

yes

xfs

Doesn't linux show drives?
In windows there are the C: drives, D: drives and so on. How does this work in linux?

I never found a proper way tl slice out side of avidemux,which is a shitty interface in it self.
But after you have those part,just use mkvmerge and mux them together

>drives
it does

What's the best Graphic card for 1080p?

EXT4, unless you have a compelling reason to use anything else. It's by far the most common on Linux systems.

>In windows there are the C: drives, D: drives and so on. How does this work in linux?
On Linux there is a single tree, starting at the root. Filesystems can then be mapped to any directory in the tree.

Will Avidemux serve fine for cutting/getting said parts?
I've not got mkvmerge but I assume it can handle MP4 files just fine

GTX 1080
it's in the name

can i do (this)? or is there a right way to have two phones on the same line?

GTX 1080 -> 1080p

Can't explain that.

Is there a way to edit PDF on wangblows without paying a dime?

red to red
green to green

Explorer.exe is spinning up my backupdrives every 10 minutes just to check the available volume.

Does anyone have an idea on how to find out what is causing that and then how to disable it?

>How much should I expect to spend?
An awful lot.

I'm learning C, which ones should I get?

>lspci
It's not a PCI device.

Export as docx
Edit
Export as pdf

>Is this just intel Jewery or am I an idiot?
It's intel jewry. AMD isnt competing so since about sandy there has been little improvement.
Anyways I suggest a pentium for your mom.

It's common for windows to shit itself, reinstall again

Thats how intel operates,much like its incessint need to make a new socket every 6 months.

This is her 3rd time

Hey, I want to use JDownloader. Heard it contains malware. Does this still apply? If yes, what is an alternative to JDownloader?

I have a Thinkpad with a hard drive where the dvd drive was so im using a usb adapter for my original dvd driver. I cant make it burn anything, reading works fine tho, when ai try burning it locks up explorer.exe Any ideas of what im doing wrong?

Using w7 64, both the built in windows burner and third party utilities lock up, I need drivers dont I?

use linux

no, no

Do any of you use an air compressor for cleaning your computer? Thinking of getting one for pc cleaning among other things but have heard a few people say it's not a good idea (static / water?). What do you Sup Forumsents think?

Is there a go-to Sup Forums recommendation for a monitor around 24''? Possibly with pivot.

great, thanks

It's a good idea.
>static
You shouldnt touch the components. not a problem.

>Water
What?

Also make use you dont let the fans spin, hold them while you clean them.

my evga gtx 660 SC just pooped.
>started running at 93c (manufacture throttle)
>take apart
>clean, new thermal
>still 93c
>underclock
>still 93c
>take off evga shield
>fan right next to heatsink
>still 93c
>dont understand

I was going to upgrade to the 1060, but thats months away.

Any recs? Persuade me to wait for the 1060.

pic semi-related

Get a compressed aerosol can.

Those are such a rip off.
>Weak pressure
>only enough air for 1 through clean
>like $7

how can I enable allow USB debugging for my old nexus 4 if the touch screen is busted?

Theres an error code that says 0xC0AA0407 This device does not support the operations required by this disc format.

I think its the adapter itself.

>Weak pressure
no
>only enough air for 1 through clean
no
>like $7
yes. Maybe it's a USA thing.

boot linux off a usb and use that to burn, ubuntu specifically

the pressure goes down pretty quickly after you start using those cans and they are expensive when you have several computers. They also get very cold to hold if you use it for a while.

Moisture can sometimes build up in the compressor so you could end up spraying some out but ill be getting a filter so i can airbrush with it anyways so shouldn't be a problem. Figured it would be fine.

whats a good upnp video player for windows?
kodi is too bloated

Can powered-down metal components of electronics like on a MB be damaged by spraying them with cleaning alcohol?

is there any way I can paste a list of names from excel into sublime text or something like that and have it put speech marks around each line and a comma between them automatically?

maybe if you can find a way to attach a mouse

capacitors might have residual charge left in them, and make sure to take out the clock battery too

www.logicalincrements.com/monitors
or just get whatever dells new 24" ultrasharp is

Shouldn't it be vga compatible? Nevermind that, how am I supposed to make it work?

integrated

Image Magick should to the trick

>attach a mouse
nexus 4 doesn't work with USB OTG

Using cinnamon mint. What application or script am I actually running when I press ctrl alt shift R? Google will tell me that it's called cinnamon-record or desktop-record, but pgrep anything close returns nothing. Top shows increased cpu usage in cinnamon --replace.

it doesn't? even my galaxy nexus can do that.

Ok so i have been having stuttering on a lot of games that theoretically shouldn't be giving me any problems such as katawa shoujo, lisa. i have tried a lot of things but i havent been able to fix it.

your computer sucks, I wouldn't wonder if windows itself would stutter all the time.

my old computer was worse and i could play katawa shoujo no problem

I don't come here often but I just need to ask for someones input on this.

My computer keeps loosing it's connection to the graphics card at random times. Sometimes when I try to boot it just says "Please power down and connect the PCI-e cables" and sometimes it happens when I'm already using the computer. And whenever I touch the cables with the softest of touches, it loses connection instantly. To solve this all of this, I have ripped of the side of my case to allow the cables to hang out freely. This appears to be the only position in which they can maintain a stable connection.

Now, I have made sure that both the 6 and 8 pin PCI-cables actually are connected to the card. I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 770.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

every nexus device except for the 4 supports it.

Is there any way to turn off the display of the currently playing track in the window's title bar in foobar2000

Does anyone recognize this font, or know one similar?

Is amazon's S3 service a good idea for hosting portfolio work online?

What should I expect to pay for having a simple portfolio website designed?

If I install the beta fedora 24 release from getfedora.org/en/workstation/prerelease/ will it be the same as the normal fedora 24 once it's officially released? The final freeze is in 7 days, and I don't feel like waiting 20 or so days until the official release.

futura

preferences > display > default user interface > window title

File, Preferences, Display, default user interfaces, edit the Window Title string.

Thank you very much

how can I generate random letters in c++?
I'm trying to make something that generates random flight numbers

test

>4670 was $213 release
>6600 was $213 release
Let's not exaggerate too much here, the 6600 is still better.

>Likely very very stupid.
Internet speed is suddenly fluctuating from normal, to slow AF, to "The connection was reset" only on my almost 3 year old laptop.

Defragging and Optimising, and shutting down and restarting it didn't change it.

What do? Or is it just age catching up?

stackoverflow.com/a/440240

reformat

I've already learned some pretty neat/useful stuff but how do i git *really* gud at aftereffects, i'm talking andrew kramer levels of compositing skills here

make it your job and do it for multiple years.

the promise of

If it's a fresh install, you have nothing to lose but another 5 minutes of starting the install + maybe waiting some time if you don't have stuff to do, so there's that.

If you want to search for the problem:
>is the monitors ALWAYS black and actually not responding ever? Could be a GPU (driver?) problem, try a different GPU or monitor
>Do you get response, but then it goes black and refuses to do anything? Could be a Windows problem and you will need to reinstall anyway
>Can you get into BIOS? Check if the boot media is set to the HDD or SSD where you installed windows
>Can't think of anything else without more info ATM

The temps NEVER leave 93C?

The next time your PC has been off for a while (so you are 100% sure it's room temperature), then boot your computer and ASAP check the readings. If it says 93C, it's a reading problem and not a problem with your GPU at all. Your GPU should not reach more than maybe 40-50 degrees by the time you enter windows and start working on stuff. You will know when it's overheating for real (screen artifacts, random blackouts, smoke and fires if you're on nVidia, etc). Good luck!

thank you
does *s need to be replaced with anything? len seems to be the length of the output but I'm not really sure what the first line does.

Is there an app/site that will allow you to send free SMS messages? I know Google Voice does but it's US-only.