Desktop environments

What's a good desktop environment that's not GNOME? Not looking for a window manager (too much hassle fiddling with scripts), GNOME 3 feels too much like a toy DE and I'm looking for something that looks a bit more professional and minimalistic.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10278044
linuxuser.co.uk/features/gnome-3-vs-unity-which-is-right-for-you
awesomewm.org/wiki/Awesome_and_Xfce4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just use Unity :^)

i think gnome shell is fine now but what about xfce?, it's only real sin is the default compositor but installing compton takes like 5 minutes

>just werks
Xfce
>just werks 2.0
MATE
>"just" werks: 90s OS functionality edition
LXDE/LXQt
>mentally 5yo
GNOME 3
>I need regular crashes to remind me I'm alive
KDE Plasma 5
>just doesn't werk
Hawaii
>my fap folder consists of OSX screenshots
Pantheon (ElementaryOS DE)
>I like OSX and want a shitty version of it
Unity
>I like Windows and want a shitty version of it
Cinnamon
>"it's all too mainstream for me"
Enlightenment
>what real unix dogs use
Lumina
>rms tier
Emacs as WM
>look mom imma hacker
Tiling WMs
>look mom imma sysadmin
CLI
>these are all trash, is ganoo linux really that bad?
Stacking WMs

Not to be edgy, I switched to i3 and, after 3 hours of pain, absolutely love it. I can never move my hands off the keyboard and get everything done. In actuality, I use the mouse 70% less, and my work flow just totally increased.

Its not too many key combos to be stupid like emacs, just enough to learn in a few minutes, get comfortable with in a few hours, and be efficient for the rest of your computers life. Highly recommended

>Using the smiley with a carat nose

But the gnome shell extensions are fucking dank
and by that I mean drop down terminal fukking w00t

awesomewm is great. Spend a day customizing it to your liking and you're good until the next *.*.2 -> *.*.3 update breaks the config file. Then you have to do it all over again.

>tfw I still use awesomewm

Nice one. I used XFCE before, loved it. I'll get onto finding a nice theme for it.

I would but, I'm not sure. It's on a laptop and for certain things I can't imagine it would be practical for me.

I do like the look of Awesome but I'm more a fan of fully-fledged DE's. I might look into it though if I get the time.

GNOME 3 is getting more stable and usable now

>DEs I like
>DEs I don't like

MATE.

>>I need regular crashes to remind me I'm alive
too true. still has functionality that xfce lacks, though.

Pantheon. Really the best one which isn't 'minimal', even though it's barebones too.
Unity and KDE are ok too.

Hey special snowflake. Just use if you want sane answers.

Mate or Budgie

>something that looks a bit more professional
so you're just looking for a leet placebo instead of actual functionality, this is why this board sucks

No I just want something that looks nicer. I bet you're the cancerous type that likes Windows Vista aesthetic

suck your mum

>using the smiley with a carat nose
>stealing my line

LXQt is the only professional and minimalistic desktop environment that integrates GTK and Qt applications hassle free which means you can have a consistent looking desktop set up easily.

Good luck configuring Qt5 in Cinnamon, MATE or any other GTK based DE.

That actually doesn't look that bad other than the horrid terminal colors.

Unity is really nothing more than Gnome 3 with less features though.I use both but Gnome is far superior.

strawpoll.me/10278044

I'm stuck with DEs without animations and such because Gnome 3 is laggy with my AMD GPU

>that looks a bit more professional and minimalistic.
You know there are various themes available right?

>tablet UI
>desktop/leltop
foh shizzle mah nizzle

what a fucking mess

>budgie isn't mainstream enough to get insulted yet

Gnome Flashback.

Pantheon is a fucking pain in the ass if you're on regular ubuntu. They don't even keep the tweak tool in the normal repository. It's some asshole's side project

>icons
>workplace switcher visible
>not some fixed width mono font

waiting for someone to call this shit although it looks fine

>gnome-tweak-tool
>disable animations

I don't use the icons. And I can add little launcher icons on the bar. I just prefer the menu most times. I don't mind the font, but I'd be open to trying others.

hey man, i like it

just getting in before people shit all over it

the default look is fine, and that's a neat wallpaper

Been using MATE and it's awesome with a tiny bit of tweaking. Personally I got rid of the top task bar. Added the MATE advanced menu to the bottom bar. Window manager.

Other than that all I did was change the theme. Personally never understood the point of ricing the living piss out of a desktop or any DE. It's there to get shit done. Not to stare at.

I liked the wallpaper they had to choose from. That one looked good.

I like Cinnamon for the desktop and i3 WOR chinkpad

Unity user here. What features does Unity lack compared to Gnome 3?

Between xfce and MATE which one will give me more?

linuxuser.co.uk/features/gnome-3-vs-unity-which-is-right-for-you

What's the verdict on some of the less common DE's? I'm talking about ones like Budgie, KaOS's version of KDE, stuff like that.

I don't wanna upset you but this isn't Windows

MATE

Where's my vaporwave Linux OS?

>linuxuser.co.uk/features/gnome-3-vs-unity-which-is-right-for-you
That was a worthless article. Pretty much everything they whine about in Unity has been fixed since whenever this article was released, and they really didn't say much about either Unity nor Gnome 3.

How did you add those colored backgrounds to the open applications on your left bar?

Just rice gnome

I hate LXDE, KDE, and XFCE. Currently using GNOME3, Cinnamon crashed once for me and I rage-switched the DE, and MATE is a pretty cool guy.
Why's Unity so badly seen here? I want something that werks, but that I can rice a bit to make it look nice.
Also, is there a way I can use a preconfigured WM? My PC is pretty shit and I'd like to have the least possible bloat, but I still want to get shit done.

So what exactly is wrong with GNOME 3? I've used it in its more recent versions and it seems quite nice, if a little different, from a lot of other DEs.

>RAM usage
>Bad power settings
>Shitty animations
Overall, shitty DE

Gnome > Anything

Here's a few things that bothered me going from GNOME to Unity:

* can't act directly on notifications; they just turn transparent. In GNOME, if I get a notification that I have updates ready, I can click on it to open gnome-software and see the updates. I can even respond to IRC messages from within notifications, etc.
* terrible workspace management. By default, you don't even get any!
* no hot corner
* Unity Dash search seems to retain what you type, which is annoying when nothing is displayed and I have to look to find out I'm actually searching for "termifirefox"

Not huge things I know, but it's the little things that make me prefer GNOME over everything else

Could you be more vague.

KDE über alles.

Good to know. With workspaces are you referring to virtual desktops? I never really got into virtual desktops, but I could see them being useful if you only had a laptop screen.

I use them on my desktop too. GNOME makes it very easy and pleasant: workspaces are created as you use them, and discarded when they're empty.

>gnome3 feels like a toy de
someone can't into shell extensions
you can pretty much make it look and act however you want bruh

XFCE with Redmond theme

Would you like to upgrade your bait to version 10 now? Or download and upgrade later?

im pretty new with linux, used elementary OS for some time but it was buggy so i switched to mint.

whats the difference between DE? what do you look for in a DE? what makes a good DE?

XFCE or mate.

>"just" werks: 90s OS functionality edition
>LXDE/LXQt
What you were thinking of was CDE.

Is that Plank?

CLI framebuffer

I use MATE with Win98 theme? Is that bad?
Don't really care about graphics...

The differences between DE's are what's in them. A desktop environment is just a set of applications. Gnome has a set of applications distinct from KDE's. LXDE contains a bunch of lightweight programs. XFCE is a little less light, with a bit more in the way of features.
A good DE is one that does what it aims to do, and works. If LXDE started shipping compiz by default, it'd be pretty shitty distro. If Enlightenment didn't make an environment familiar to OSX users, it'd be a shit DE.

dude sure takes good care of hes apple shit, always clean

GNOME 3 is the only modern one that looks and feels professional.

Nu-uh, KDE 2 is.

KDE if you want everything and the kitchen sink, xfce if you want something traditional and lightweight, Cinnamon if you want something in the middle of the former two. Personally I use Cinnamon.

Not him, but it looks like the 'Dash to Dock' GNOME Shell plugin, you can customize it to put it on the bottom of the screen.

Need help Sup Forums
I use awesome but at werk they have xfce

Is there anyway i can set couple windews a place on the desktep at the session start
>without admin right
>already ask googole
>maybe with wrong key werds

Cinnamon

forgot pic

get xfce and replace Xfwm with awesome
awesomewm.org/wiki/Awesome_and_Xfce4

Sophie Dee and Gianna Michaels are friends

>hot corners
they do exist but you have to install gnome-tweak-tool to configure it
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Lumina

Unity senpai, it's decent.

can you give source of image shown on screenshot?

okay, don't mind , i got this