Thief!!!

You steal a project from GitHub. Let's say it's 400 lines of code. How do you change it to make it your own so that plagiarism is not detected?

Other urls found in this thread:

img.youtube.com/vi/xwoeeZ0HXwM/0.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Deleting all 400 lines of code would be my first step

Write it in a different language.

Just read their algorithm and redo it myself desu

img.youtube.com/vi/xwoeeZ0HXwM/0.jpg

I rewrote it in 150 lines and renamed all the variables. Also rewrote in in C++11 style instead of the old style. How likely am I to get caught?

how?

Idk i always did my own homework

Make it a proprietary program.

>91
>8ball says ask again

Line by line google search doesn't return anything, and nobody in this shit-tier university knows about git.

Why are you even going for a career you're so little interested in you feel the need to cheat in class? With that attitude you're going to be miserable.

Well, I had about 10 projects this semester, all implemented by me. Two of them have more than 100 forks on github. I just didn't have time for this one.

>stealing
Theres your problem OP.

It's not shameful to use good code that's already written. Shameful is claiming it your own.

If the code is good, don't change it and simply use it if the license is free.

Only change code if it needs improvement.

I'm posting to tell you you're a horrible fucking person and academic plagiarism is gay as fuck.
No morals. I bet you're a literal fag.

>I determined what the program I needed to write needed to do, searched github for something that already did it, read through 400 lines of code, understood what it was this program did, determined that 250 lines were superfluous, reformatted it to a different style and came up with new variable names
>but I didn't have time to write 150 lines of code myself
You fucking moron.

edit and credit

Hey, he's learning something either way.

You could even say doing that was more useful than just writing it yourself. It's more applicable in the real world.

But if his goal was to do less work, he's fucking retarded.

Why would I need to steal the whole project? If I find something interesting, I just use it as example and then build my own solution the way I prefer to arrange my code. It's not just about changing variables names, it's about rewriting something from the scratch and getting experience.

I assure you It is not the case. I have the tendency to demand more difficult projects, even after finishing them. I just overestimated my capabilities this time.

See You had time.

Then don't invest your energy and time in asking Sup Forums if you will be caught cheating.

No one will judge you for trying something above you and fail.

Reported this thread to your professor

What that guy said.

You can't give your shit away for free, including code, and expect people to pay for it.

Google ARC

DO NOT BULLY AKARIN

If it's on github it's probably GPL or BSD anyway so i doubt they would really give a shit.

But if you change the variable names and the function names then that's basically makes it another code base.

In this ITT thread he claims to intend to use it in class because he didn't want to do the assignment.

Good. I'm all for anything about ripping off this corrupt system.

Colleges are just debt scams now days anyway, Fuck em.

Most CS classes recognize that stackoverflow can give anyone solutions easily with a google search. If you cite things correctly you're fine.

Ask your professor about citation policies, since apparently you haven't read your syllabus.

Some retard forked one of my group projects and turned it in. Reported to the professor and his group probably failed.

If the university is worth anything you would be facing penalty too. It's not their responsibility to hide your assignments from other people taking the course where you are literally publishing your homework to the entire planet.

so you changed variables and other stuff replace lines

your fine user professor don't really care

Just take what you want, it's FOSS

This.
If people are altruistic enough to support free software, they should be fine with having their code stolen.

>it's not their responsibility to not cheat
idiot

"Their" was the school, not the person cheating

I made it public after I passed the class. Pretty much everyone else's was public from the start. My university doesn't give a shit.

Great, so you acknowledge that you're publicly sharing your school assigned work to the world with your name on it. Explain to me the difference between that and uploading your english papers online to a cheat site?

Reimplement it in another language.

Like writing essays, you can always quote/ reference them using APA/MLA style.

Ask your instructor before hand if micro/macro implementation of code as a program component is allowed with proper credit, documentation,format and reference.

how big a scumbag do you have to be to "steal" and try to take credit for something other people created and gave you for free ?

The one thing that always bothered me about plagiarism detection software: how likely is it that it could produce false positives? An english paper is one thing, but when you're solving a problem in a specific computer language, many people are likely to attempt to solve the problem in very similar ways.

simply hack time and create a git of it before they do.. thus I am the creator