Japanese people are tech illiterates

>According to a 2015 study by the Japanese Cabinet Office, only 30% of Japanese high schoolers use laptops, and only 16% use desktop computers. (In the US, 98% of our teenagers use one or the other, with similar numbers out of the UK.) According to one study I found, about 50% of Japanese households have a computer, but many people don't use them.

>The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) reported last September that of the 42 countries they surveyed for computer use in education, Japan was ranked second from the bottom.

>The result is that computer literacy among the youth of Japan is actually going down. One Tokyo-area government-funded tech cram school for high schoolers reported that many of their students didn't even really know how to use a physical keyboard. Even many teachers can't touch-type.

That sure explains how the anime industry get all that money from selling expensive blu-rays and character merchandise.

Other urls found in this thread:

japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/01/19/national/windows-xp-phaseout-to-put-13-million-pcs-at-risk-in-japan-experts/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galápagos_syndrome
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Japan is pretty weird about technology. They adopt new stuff frequently but they never actually get rid of old stuff. They still prefer to fax documents rather than just using email or some other more convenient method for instance.

This

If you have been in japan you'd know that they are fucking idiots and the smartest ones are just number-crunching idiots

No wonder they're so weird about pirating.

IE still popular there?

Yes they're one of the primary supporters of it. Japan also has a fairly large number of users running windows XP and there's even people there running versions of windows older than that even.

Sounds comfy desu. I'd love to still have pinball on my old laptop again

>That sure explains how the anime industry get all that money from selling expensive blu-rays and character merchandise.
No, that's because the Japanese are obsessed with collecting. What does this have to do with anything else anyway?

What's the fucking logic? Piracy has a harsh punishment there because the Japanese are passive, obedient, copyright is big business and the industry bought the politicians.

And these Japanese youth are all using smartphones, 100% of them. They have little motivation to learn these things nowadays. And the fax thing is because of strict business norms EVERYWHERE.

This tech literacy is related with productivity skills with regular desktop machines. It has nothing to do with the memester sense 99% of internet users (moronic kids) are thinking of.

>go to Japan with my fancy gadgets
>become new emperor

isn't japan the source of 2nd most tech patents after the US?

Everywhere in the world Windows XP and older is used. And XP is irrelevant in Japan. I don't know who came up with le japan is le old meme but I've seen it hundreds of times ever since BBC made some shit exaggerated article about old technology in use in Japan.

IE is also the main browser in Korea.

>be me living in Wost Korea
>tfw fastest internet infrastructure in the world
>have to use IE8 with ActiveX

Bloomberg Innovation Index for R&D say:
>1. South Korea
>2. Israel
>3. Finland
>4. Sweden
>5. Japan

Every now and then you see dipshits saying things like "Japanese electronics is dead" or "Japan has been totally surpassed by Korea and China". These inbred children think because they haven't bought a Japanese smartphone the whole industry is dead.

Yeah but that doesn't mean their society is on top of it.

yeah I guess it was this chart that I remembered, and it was China Numba Wan anyway

Well I'm basing this on articles I read a few years ago but I doubt very much has changed

japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/01/19/national/windows-xp-phaseout-to-put-13-million-pcs-at-risk-in-japan-experts/

There was an interesting post on Y Combinator on this topic a day or two ago, and it was brought up that a big part of the lack of computer is in Japan is due to the popularity of cellphones. Apparently for purposes in day-to-day life, a cellphone does everything that most people need (communication, banking, etc) similar to the situation in some developing economies. An anecdote was also brought up by someone working in the Japanese school system saying they've seen university students write entire papers on their phones - not because they can't use a computer, but because they're more comfortable with the phone.

It was also mentioned that a huge amount of work that would be automated in the US is kept manual in Japan - a specific example given was that at one company, data entry was done by hand into Excel so as to "ensure quality".

Cause their on their smartphone. Get with the times grandpas.

they';re probably all using smartphones. people have been shitposting about how the tech field will die because everyone will be computer literate and i've ALWAYS called that out for being bullshit. users will interact with sleeker and sleeker black boxes. i've ALWAYS said that computer literacy will go down

>data entry was done by hand into Excel so as to "ensure quality".

How using a graphical user interface on Windows for browsing internet is more technical than using a smartphone? I don't see how computer literacy will go down. It will be the same thing.

Imagine being that poor fucker sat at his desk for 12 hours a day typing numbers into Excel, knowing that you could automate the entire process so that it would take seconds.

And being happy about the situation, because it shows your boss that you're dedicated and will deserve that promotion to department head in 20 years when everyone moves one step up the chain after the CEO dies or some shit.

well in the OP it says that 99% of US and UK use desktop cumputers and/or laptops

but I guess the average Sup Forums weeaboo is a good fit in japan

A smartphone is a computer. Not a desktop, but a computer nonetheless.

That article is more than 2 years old, it works with estimates alone and reads like a shit disguises MS advertisement.

With the latest data from StatCounter as of May 2016 it shows XP (included in "Other") can be no greater than 6.19%, which is little more than Europe's 5% and nearly as insignificant as US 2.80%.

And again, that article is disguised advertisement. Ask anyone who works with marketing and they'll know what I'm talking about here.

The feature phone is extremely popular in Japan.

It's not really a smartphone btw. You have a physical keyboard on most Japanese phones and only very limited number of apps.

What a crock of shit, feature phones are completely irrelevant. The iPhone is a massive success in Japan, anything else uses Android.

Will they be impressed by my 100% original data crushing algorithms? Is getting a job there super easy for foreigners then?
#include
#include
using namespace std;
int main()
{
vector listWithRandomNumbers {10, 9, 666, 13, 4, 2};

for(int i = 0; i < listWithRandomNumbers.size() - 1; i++)
{
int smallestNumberInThelistWithRandomNumbersSoFar = i;
for(int j = i+1; j < listWithRandomNumbers.size(); j++)
{
if(listWithRandomNumbers[j] < listWithRandomNumbers[smallestNumberInThelistWithRandomNumbersSoFar])
{
smallestNumberInThelistWithRandomNumbersSoFar = j;
}
}
// Here I swap variables, VERY IMPORTANT.
int temporaryInteger = listWithRandomNumbers[smallestNumberInThelistWithRandomNumbersSoFar];
listWithRandomNumbers[smallestNumberInThelistWithRandomNumbersSoFar] = listWithRandomNumbers[i];
listWithRandomNumbers[i] = temporaryInteger;
}

//Lets see what this bad boy just did that to that unsorted list.
for (int i = 0; i < listWithRandomNumbers.size(); i++)
{
cout

Fax is more secure than email, that's why is still used in the health and legal fields.

>china
>patenting
China is the country of the piracy, why would them patent things if a competing company will copy them?

I'm pretty sure filing for a patent isn't the same as actually getting one. Chinese file tons of applications to see what IP they can claim ownership of. They're basically throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.

If you've ever been to Asia you would realize that they are even more retarded with tech than Americans.

At work in a Japanese high school right now. All our laptops are pretty old. Nobody uses technology in the classroom.

Students absolutely use smartphones as opposed to computers.

Every day we start with handwritten notes about the day, printed on a photocopier. Every memo is printed, nothing is ever emailed.

It is sort of wacky. It isn't that technology doesn't exist, schools and businesses just don't integrate it.

>Even many teachers can't touch-type.
This is how I know this is shitpost.
Take this back to whatever mech keyboard general you came from.

Ever heard of gpg?

Why do you think their economy stalled?

Aren't faxes sent over phone lines which are unencrypted? How is that more secure than sending documents over HTTPS/TLS? Also

Would anyone be impressed by this? Seriously.. they prefer it that way. As an IE working with chinks is fucking infuriating. They want to save money but don't want to change process. so they end up cutting quality and overworking employees to suicide instead and cutting back on safety measures. It's disgusting and ass backwards. I've been to mainland China and Japan several times on contract jobs. Getting anything productive done is like pulling teeth.

An this is why I don't get how Linux functionality and customization isnt wide spead

Japan actually has to import programmers from South Korea and pay them ridiculously high wages to live in a country that hates them.

That's how bad computer literacy is in Japan.

>I can program and a black anime otaku.
Shit maybe I should move

They still use XP lol.

>(In the US, 98% of our teenagers use one or the other, with similar numbers out of the UK.)
Oh really? Does niggertech like tablets count as laptops in this poll? When was it taken? I don't see a source.

And they won't discuss things with you face to face like normal fucking people or even email. OOOOOHHHH NO, I'll get fucking letters a week or more into construction about some materials issue or some fucking zoning issue and have to rip shit apart. Or they'll fucking fax shit. I'll get fucking black and white pictures in a fax that looks like someone took a god damn Polaroid and taped it to a piece of paper and have to track down who the hell sent it. Or instead of telling me about something when in asking them they'll have their assistant call and communicate throughtheir assistants like gigantic pussies. Like if you have an issue of any kind just say something. That's the whole point of meetings. Instead they take the longest route possible to do anything. Employees will be shitting in dirt instead of port o potties because they want to fax orders in for some Johnnie's instead of calling or sending a truck up there.

Is this the Chicago style pizza thread?

>What's encrypted fax.
>Requires installing GPG and a plugin for your email client.
>Requires people to manage private/public key pairs.

Fax is more simple to use

How do they know if you entered it by hand or not?
Do they watch you do it? Can't you just write a script for it and then goof off for the rest of the day after it runs?

I can't pretend to know, but I would assume it's because the difference in culture means that even if the employee is aware that a better solution exists, they won't take it upon themselves to implement it without approval from their boss - and it would be disrespectful to imply to the boss that they're wasting manpower by not implementing an automated solution, so the issue never gets raised. When asked by an outsider unfamiliar with the culture why they're doing something in such an inefficient way, they make up an excuse to save face and keep from embarrassing the company (not out of personal gain, but out of loyalty to the company). This is just speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were this or something similar.

This, it's hard to understand the level of passiveness that's built into modern Japanese culture.

Small nitpick

smallestNumberInThelistWithRandomNumbersSoFar

Isn't the smallest number in the list with random numbers so far, it's the index of the smallest number in the list with random numbers so far.

You really need to work on your descriptive variable names, user.

>Fax is more secure than email, that's why is still used in the health and legal fields.
laffin', it's easy as shit to listen into fax messages. Health and legal fields only use it because they're paranoid and don't know shit about technology, a signature on a fax is literally just as "secure" as a signature on a paper that you scan and mail, no matter what everyone in the legal field thinks

This is why the East will forever be behind the West.

Dismissing an entire culture based on a single example of a flaw is not a good way to define your worldview. Although the employee described might not bring up the issue with their boss due to cultural differences, they'll likely live a fulfilling life, receiving steady promotions and eventually a pension once retired. They'll be respected by their peers and family, and get gratification from doing their part in society.

There are of course lots of negatives left out of this picture (there's a lot of pressure to perform, needlessly long hours at the office, living in a society where minor failures are enough to drive someone to suicide, rampant sexual harassment, etc), but the Japanese wouldn't have the third largest economy in the world if they were entirely fucked.

Confucianism basically

I work in legal and I have used a fax machine once in the last 2 years to send a non-work related application form to a government body.

In Australia at least, fax is no longer the preferred mode of communication.

cc data_crush.c -o data_crush
data_crush.c:1:20: fatal error: iostream: No such file or directory
#include
^
compilation terminated.
: recipe for target 'data_crush' failed
make: *** [data_crush] Error 1

i think the main reason those places still use fax is because it's synchronous, that is, it can only send if the receiver receives
there's no question whether a sent fax was received, emails on the other hand, can be bounced, filtered, missed, etc

>This is how I know this is shitpost.
You try typing on a keyboard that was designed for an alphabet when you're entire life has been raised on a syllabary.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

>cc
Yes, I know he shouldn't have used C++, but still.

>refutation consists of "nuh-uh!"
Nice argument champ! :^)

Okay. I'll spell it out for you son. Anything sent over fax is unencrypted, meaning you need only sniff the wire/monitor the connection to get the "plain text" of the document.

Thing is, most US teenagers use laptops for facebook, when jpn teenagers have a phone for that. Stats are a bit misleading.

and not to mention
Oh really? Does niggertech like tablets count as laptops in this poll? When was it taken? I don't see a source.

wait, it's a phone line, fax works on same tech as modem=internet? It must be at least somewhat encrypted. It's not 80s anymore, they should use at least 2001 models.

Traditional fax machines use the phone lines, and depending on the protocol can be either analog or digital (you can do fax with ISDN). There are machines available that do fax encryption, but the machines on both ends need to support whatever mode is being used, and the prices of the machines are inflated. Combine that with the fax "infrastructure" commonly already in place, and it's very likely that the faxes are transmitted unencrypted. The only thing keeping them from being man-in-the-middle'd is the difficulty in intercepting them, because that entails tapping the phone line the message is transmitted on.

ya but it's not important tech

who gives a shit if you don't wanna use a laptop.
you can get by without touch-typing.

as long as their engineers can program microcontroller better than others that's the sort of thing that is of importance.

i also find new electronics technologies to serve more as distraction than convenience; there is an important distinction to make there.

whether you use a computer at home doesn't really give any useful information of your competence in STEM.

my parents were poor as fuck, I feel like I missed out on a lot, I really envied my friends, but I didn't perform more poorly in CS classes because of it.

>my parents were poor as fuck, I feel like I missed out on a lot, I really envied my friends, but I didn't perform more poorly in CS classes because of it.
This is telling of the American education system.

>Fax is more secure than email
It isn't. The number of fax machines that support ITU T.30 G and H are negligible, and even then the security annex H provides is easily broken. In the case of Japan, I'd assume they're reluctant to replace working fax machines with those that support modern encryption standards. Moving to a software system like Hylafax won't work either, since Hylafax lacks support for it.

We've had lawyers troll over our privacy policy and sales pages to deal with the fact fax is insecure as shit. Nowhere will you see the words "fax" and "secure" in the same sentence on our sites - and we're used by at least a thousand chemists/solicitors at this point.

This shit is sold entirely on the basis of convenience - in that they know what a fucking fax is. And the misconception that phone calls are somehow magically private, despite most people being familiar with the concept of picking up a phone while someone else in the house is using a phone.

>That sure explains how the anime industry get all that money from selling expensive blu-rays and character merchandise
not sure how you got that conclusion. what does one thing have to do with another?

/r/ the picture about the japanese 2ch where someone comented they dont care about security they just want to look at animus

It wasn't security, but rather open source software.

ah well, was close, thanks m8

it's not that great honestly. You get like 60-70k usd in tokyo. I suppose cost of living is not high but the work culture is awful.

They only still use fax because of stupid ass laws.

>theres laws saying its illegal to not use fax

Do you have experience with the job market in Japan? 60-70k is the market average for what position, just a regular Software Developer? Are foreigners paid the same as natives? I've heard of Chinese companies hiring white people so that during meetings with other companies they look more "international", so I'm curious if given Japans greater predisposition towards xenophobia the same is true there.

We're talking about Japan mate, where workers will stay in the office waiting until the boss leaves, even long after their shift has ended.

IBM's Watson will replace lawyers in the future. So fuck your little lawyer needs. Not future proof and you worry about skurity? Dah!

No, they use fax because that's company policy. That's the logic for everything. They're retard pussies. It's no wonder they have a negative birthrate

No, just what I read. I was thinking of applying for an internship in rakuden in toky. The pay was too low actually (2k usd monthly or something). Compare that to SV internships where you get up to 9k + benefits monthly. From what I read it's easier to work for international companies that employ foreigners in tokyo even without japanese, but other national companies seem a lot harder to work for.

I have heard from unreliable sources that a lot of foreigners can live and work there as programmers as they need them.
Not sure how true, but there are at least some.

what the fuck

Have you seen their internet? It's like going back to 2004. Also I chatted with fuckton of japs on interpals, and only few of them were frequent PC users, and even fewer were technically competent.

You are racist.

how is any of that racist?

Going on 2ch is like going to the land memes forgot; it's very strange to look at, and reminds me of 4chans better days before the shitposters won the war.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galápagos_syndrome

I lived in Japan for two years. I think that they are very much stuck in the mindset of computers being appliances instead of awesome general purpose machines.

Now, when I lived there I of course used a laptop, but I realised that I would probably have gotten by fairly well with just a decent smartphone.

I lived in Tokyo, and a convenience store was never far away. These convenience stores usually had spiffy ATM's that let you easily pay your bills and transfer money. They also had copy machines/printers that you could email your documents/pictures to from your phone. Next to these there wer also a machine for booking tickets for, well, anything. Concerts, museums etc.

I'm guessing that the population density made it profitable for convenience stores to be filled with all these convenient high-tech appliances, so there isn't as much of a need for them to have computers.

I'm rambling, but maybe someone else that lived in Japan can chime in?

everything is racist.

>whether you use a computer at home doesn't really give any useful information of your competence in STEM.

It gives useful information about how well you integrate with the modern world.

>They still prefer to fax documents rather than just using email or some other more convenient method for instance.

The fist part of his comment is right, but this particular statement is not really true anymore and it's more like one of those myths/memes about Japan that just refuse to die.

Many companies and businesses still have fax numbers(all their business tier printers also have fax built in), but they really don't use it.

I've been living and working in Japan for 12 years and I've used fax once right after I came and never again and I've never seen anyone else using it either.

As for the computer adoption rates, the most common explanation are the cellphones.

Japan, before smartphones, had feature phones that basically were simple smartphones, you could install apps, read mail, and browse some of the internet. That's what most people use desktop/laptop computers for, even in the West and in America. There was no need to buy yet another machine just for that, specially considering that the average Japanese household has a much smaller purchasing power than the average American household(and they don't rely on credit either).

And now with smartphones, even in the US, the PC sales are going down.

Things got even worse because in the 90s Japanese companies tried to push their computing platforms but eventually lost to Microsoft and that damaged a lot of the computing industry and education here (Europe suffered the same way, and that's why there's only one Silicon Valley in the US).

Also saying that because 98% of teenagers own some sort of traditional PC mean that population is more computer literate is not logical. While I'm sure the probability of find a computer literate person at random in the US is much higher than in Japan, ownership has little to do with it when most people are just browsing Facebook or Youtube.

Higher computer literacy in the US comes from that the US has the strongest computer industry in the world.

It's actually amazing how our traditional PC sales aren't dropping faster, considering the prevalence of social media and other smartphone and tablet-ready tasks.

Nice link, thanks.

>number-crunching idiots
t. math ignorant who can't program for shit

Fax is still used by many business everywhere

>I can move to Japan and work in a computer repair shop
>I could move to Japan and teach computer classes
>I don't have to worry about my over saturated market here

It's like God wants me to move to nippon land

>It's no wonder they have a negative birthrate
whites have the same negative birthrate except that amerieurocucks patched the problem with rapefugees.

>work in a computer repair shop
>when there are no computers