/sqt/ - Stupid questions thread

I spilled water into my chassis and it crashed. I thought blowing a fan on it for an hour would be long enough to get all the water out and I tried to turn it back on like a moron. The computer won't turn back on but my GPU still lights up How fucked am I in terms of broken components? I've already ordered a new mobo because I read online that water damage almost always kills the mobo.

Other urls found in this thread:

ask.com/science/salt-to-fix-your-pc-aaed40aff1df46c5
howtogeek.com/199618/how-to-use-handbrake-to-convert-any-video-file-to-any-format/?PageSpeed=noscript
ask.com/science/youre-a-nigger-aaed40aff1df46c5
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cyкa блят!

U should have never turned ur pc on and should have dumped a fuckton of rice onto the motherboard and waited

>How fucked am I in terms of broken components?
Get some red LEDs, they are exothermic contrary to the blue ones that are endothermic. The warmth of the red LEDs will evaporate the water quickly and if you're lucky everything will work fine again. Also, remove any blue LEDs that are in your PC right now

I'm buying the Phanteks cooler.

How can I replace the fans so the white shell is black?

I know now how dumb it was to power it back on. I just panicked and I wasn't thinking. But why rice?

Don't listen to him, rice will only fuck up your PC more. Put salt in there, it will absorb the water and de-fuck your wet parts.

source: ask.com/science/salt-to-fix-your-pc-aaed40aff1df46c5

how do i install apk's on my windows phone?

Nigga salt creates rust dude lmfao

Google rice computer op u dumb fag, u rly gonna waste time jerking it?

The lack of proper grammar in your posts alone proves that you're a troll.

Get a blow dryer. Blow dry it for like 30min. Let it hang to dry for like 2 days

Anyone's got resources to learn how to deal with mutex in C?
I need to do that in a rather hasty fashion, too.

Reposting from an old thread:

How can I get something like virtual surround sound or Dolby headphone in Linux? I tried to use the virtual surround sink module in pulseaudio but it couldn't load it. I'm using arch linux and have a Xonar DG sound card

Rice absorbs a lot of moisture quickly
Salt rusts metal. Think of vehicles down the shore or from snowy locations. They always have rust damage.

>snowy locations
Never heard of salty snow.

>Rice absorbs a lot of moisture quickly
I call bullshit, you're just trying to fuck OP even more than he already did to himself.

Bump bump bump.

Open terminal, now type

sudo apt-get install apk-reader

Worked for me

What?

I don't believe you. That could be anything

Okay 3 things right now with assembling computer
So the Power Supplys fan should face down to where the air vent is right? (Im only asking this because the brand sticker on the side is upside down) And does it like not actually get screwed into place? Because Im not seeing anything

And my Samsung SSD came with an installation disk, I wanted to install Windows onto the SSD but would I have to install it to the HDD first so I can then install the SSD to then install Windows onto it?
I dont have a disk drive even.

And does RAM mem need to go to a specific slot or is any of the 4 good?

How to use FFMPEG to embed MKV file with ass file?

SSD's make themselves recognizes as HDD's when you pop up the Windows installer on your USB drive or DVD.

>remove white fans
>install black fans

Never lived in snow either, you salt the roads dingus

ffmpeg -i file.mkv -i file.ass -map 0 -map 1 -c copy outfile.mkv

Deepnds on your case, many cases have the PSU mounted upside down

Ram should go in the corresponding slots for dual channel, your manual should give details.

>ffmpeg -i file.mkv -i file.ass -map 0 -map 1 -c copy outfile.mkv
Thanks this worked, I didn't know you can set two -i.
Also is there a way to make it so the new added subtitle, become the first one?

trying to compile a dockapp on Debian, getting the following error when trying to make

fatal error: upower.h: No such file or directory
#include
compilation terminated.
Makefile:36: recipe for target 'upower.o' failed
make: *** [upower.o] Error 1

have installed libglib2.0-dev, no luck. would appreciate assistance very much!

Also the SSD is showing a cable that connects into the SSD into a USB slot, but its not in the box, whats the deal with this?
Is this a Case part??

First I would like to say, I know I am a retard.

Okay, I wanted to change from windows because all you faggots said linux was better. I then installed Ubuntu 16.04 OVER WINDOWS

I wanted to dual boot but couldn't figure it out now I am stuck with this piece of shit. I have a usb and would like to go back to windows. I have the ISO, I added it to my USB I went through gpart, unetboot, etc... and it still won't work.

Is this because the version of ubuntu is too new to work with all the forum answers? I have been trying to get it to work for like 7 hours now and I am about to just buy windows legit. It's fucking horrible please g help me.

unetbootin is stuck in a loop when I try to boot from my usb.

How? Don't I need the exact fans?

Thinking of getting a desk mic over a headset, wondering what Sup Forums would recommend, not going to be recording a jam sesh or anything flash, just for general microphone activities, is it more worthwhile buying a desk mic+decent headphones over a headset?
Looking at Steelseries Siberia Elite Prism for a headset, wondering if Sup Forums has a better headphone/mic combo.

Ausfag too, so only reliable sauce is probably going to be pc case gear

>abramov
>that hairline

confirmed jew

SATA to USB adapter maybe, not sure why it would show that

use ffprobe on the mkv to find out what streams it has

i personally put
function ffstreamdetect {
for i in "$1"; do echo File: $1; ffprobe "$i" 2>&1 | grep Stream; done
}
in my shell rc because i do this quite often, and this filters out what i don't need

if for example, the mkv is say;
0: video
1: eng audio
2: jpn audio
3: spa subtitle
4: chapters

you'd do;
ffmpeg -i video.mkv -i subtitle.ass -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -map 1 -map 0:3 -map 0:4

"map" determines what streams to include in the output, and in what order, "0:1" is for example, input 0 (the first -i), stream 1 (the second stream). "-map 1" just means "all streams from the second input", which is just a single subtitle track in this case

You could just get a modmic

Anyone know when i enter on some sites some "popup" appears and disapear in a second? I notice is a CMD prompt but is annoying.
Virus maybe?

oops, didn't complete that ffmpeg command, same as before though
... -c copy outfile.mkv

(the -c copy just tells ffmpeg to keep the streams as-is, no conversion)

Installing Linux for the first time (Mint Rafaela), and I've seen that for the "Reserved BIOS boot area" it's "recommended to have at least 1MB".

What does this mean? I'm not asking for a explanation on GRUB, I'm just wondering what the drawback of only going for 1MB is.

I'm not a expert but i think is for write the MBR

I like the idea of it, but I just find dangly bits on a headset are obnoxious, or break too easy. I'm not rough with headsets, but a solid set of headphones I bought 6 years ago have outlasted 3-4~ headsets with mics, would rather get a desk mic that'll last a while/doesn't need to be fiddled with

>"map" determines what streams to include in the output, and in what order
Thanks that what I needed to know.
I've put -map 1 before -map 0 and everything worked.
One last question how do I automate this whole thing in bash?

depends on what you have and what the intended output is

lets say you have;
file1.mkv
file1.ass
file2.mkv
file2.ass

you could do;
for i in *.mkv; do ffmpeg -i "$i" -i "${i%.mkv}.ass" -map 1 -map 0 -c copy "${i%.mkv}-new.mkv"; done

which should result in new files;
file1-new.mkv
file2-new.mkv
in addition to the old ones

anybody?

Is there any way a person can use an older blackberry phone(with no service) to hack into an iPhone 6s?

My family member stays on it all day and gives me the creeps.

>for i in *.mkv; do ffmpeg -i "$i" -i "${i%.mkv}.ass" -map 1 -map 0 -c copy "${i%.mkv}-new.mkv"; done
Thanks that worked like a charm.

So I'll need one of these to actually install the SSD?
Well theres like another week of not having a PC

Oh the irony

So can they?

if the psu is at the top, the fan should face down
if the psu is at the bottom;
- if there's a hole pattern cut into the bottom where the psu goes, then face the psu fan down
- if not, face the psu fan up

the disc that came with the ssd may contain AHCI drivers and windows monitoring software, the AHCI driver may be required when installing old versions of windows, but otherwise the disc is not strictly required

ram should be filled from the lowest-numbered slot first (often labelled DIMM-0 or similar)

i can only assume you're confusing usb with sata, sata cables typically come with your motherboard (don't ask me why)

Well the manual is showing the cable plugging into a USB Port
It goes Insert disk, Plug in SSD, install, then insert SSD into the System

that sounds a bit weird to me, maybe it's some usb-based firmware update feature or something

i wouldn't worry about it, you should also be able to update the firmware via sata as well

Sup Forums, what line in ffmpeg should I write to make a poster webm with audio with a gif.

I tried

ffmpeg -loop 1 -i 1.png -i 1.wav -c:v libvpx -c:a libvorbis -b:a 64k -shortest out.webm

but the length of the output is proportional to the length of the gif. What do I do to bypass the length of the gif to include to whole song?

don't include -shortest ?

Anyone using FileZilla?
What's best arragment for it's windows to show better info?

Yeah just watched a guy installtion guide and he had to buy a Sata USB connector
But Im sure now that the disk is actually for migrating your stuff from an old hard drive to the new SSD
So I think I dont even need one

i don't know what all this USB talk is about, but if it's a normal, 2.5" sata ssd, you can ignore anything to do with usb

How do I rip the audio from an MP4 file on Windows?

what programs do you have?

On Windows 10 my clock keeps displaying incorrect times. I have to click "Set time automatically" a few times for it to set itself to the correct time. It retains the correct time for a while but will for whatever reason change to an incorrect time again eventually. Is this a cmos battery problem even if it's a problem that occurs randomly, and not when I boot up?

I had my laptop in airplane mode and when I hooked to the wifi, the fan ran really high, any idea? Gonna do a clean install again because suspicious family member.

If I'm installing a fan on to a case to cool a component, is it better to have it suck in cold air or blow out hot air?

I can only mount one fan so I can't have one sucking and one blowing.

I watch videos with baka m player, and use iTunes for music if that's what you mean

Do you have any of the following
FFMPEG
Handbrake
FormatFactory
Any converter program that is.

If you have any video editing software you could use that, drop it in to the timeline, go to render or export and select an audio format (.wav, mp3, acc, ogg etc.)

I have handbrake

Use it then.
Import the file then set the audio parameters you want, then convert it.

I tried it, still won't work.

I don't know how to use it user, it was installed on my laptop when I bought it

ffmpeg -i file.mp4 -map 0:1 -c copy audio.m4a
(assuming second track and in aac format)

>installed on my laptop when I bought it
howtogeek.com/199618/how-to-use-handbrake-to-convert-any-video-file-to-any-format/?PageSpeed=noscript

Speakers or headphones?
JBL 305 or Dt 880?

I don't quite get it..

I assume you have no important data left there?

(If you got any data left you need to rescue burn a "live CD" with something like knoppix and take the remiaining data to a external HDD.)

Now you put in your Windows CD and somewhere you get asked if you want to format the disk. Click "OK". You can now reinstall Win.

Just a conincidence. The fan has nothing to do with what software runs.

Oh well, blowing out air has the advantage that things don't get stuck in front of the fan, so that's what I would do.

Where can I get SICP on the cheap?

Audio question:

I have a tower with a decent soundcard (RCA inputs, 1/4 input, output, etc), two JBL studio monitors that use XLR connections, and a USB Audio Interface that has two inputs for the XLR connections and connects to the PC via USB.

I also have a turntable that I was planning to connect to my sound card's input via the RCA cables

Here's my question: will the speakers be able to play my PC sounds and my records or will I have to swap connections?

Does O&O ShutUp10 works ? If no, does anyone know something to unshittify w10 ?

Also can you answer this .

The family member is too suspicious and we blocked him from bringing his laptop into out house. Did some bad damage to me earlier this year.

Never again will I deal with a mentally ill person.

>The fan has nothing to do with what software runs.
Yes it does. Not directly, but one could run a program in the background that's really CPU intensive so that the CPU would heat up what would cause the fan to run really high.
If I do a simple command as stress -c 4 the CPU gets used 100% and will start my fan.
It is possible that anons PC is infected with a virus that does something similar as soon as he connects to wifi.

Anything is possible but it seems highly unlikely. If you simply don't let him connect to your local network the chances of you getting hacked by this person decrease a lot.

>Did some bad damage to me earlier this year.
What did he do? And how? This could give us an indication if your family member is a 1337 h4x0r

just ask pajeet on the w10 forums

>ask.com/science/salt-to-fix-your-pc-aaed40aff1df46c5

ask.com/science/youre-a-nigger-aaed40aff1df46c5

Funny how you can change the link to say anything.

He hacked into my android phone and leaked a bunch of photos. Then send malicious shit to my job where co-workers harassed me to the point they started to become physical.

Now this person who now lives with us wants his laptop over and claims he just want to watch movies and play games, already bullshit but my mother believes it anyways and thinks hacking is "movie magic" anyways.

I just got an iPhone and think he used something like Metasploit to get into the phones. Thoughts?

Does this effect the files in any way?
Because I used to be able to play mkv files over http, but for some reason those files cannot be played over http.
When I try to play it, I get
[ffmpeg] http: HTTP error 403 Forbidden
Yet other files can be played normally.

Can't open windows 10 start menu. Tried the google solutions with powershell - didn't work. Anybody here had any luck with this?

I am looking to get an ethernet switch.

I cant decide if I should buy an unmanaged or managed one.

I am ignorant of switches and networking in general, but always like to learn new stuff.

Are there any really useful settings that a managed switch would have that would be beneficial to me?

>2 PCs, one game console
>first PC is gaming PC
>second PC is occasionally small game server, occasionally used as a video capture PC to stream to twitch, and most of the time just sitting as a torrent PC

I got it happen twice on friends' boxes. Recover to the latest recovery point

mp4 has a special flag you can set to make them more suitable for streaming, but mkv is always suited for it

either it's an unrelated issue (permissions?)
or perhaps the system you're using is assuming things about which streams should be where
your solution of just using "-map 1 -map 0" makes your .ass the first stream, which is technically fine, but conventionally, the first stream is the video, for example;

common:
0: video
1: audio
2: subtitle
3: chapter

yours:
0: subtitle (the .ass)
1: video
2: audio
3: subtitle
4: chapter

Ever since my laptop overheated I've been weary about it happening to my computer.

I need to do some CPU intensive tasks. Which one would be better to 'preserve' my computer:
To get it over and done with, with the CPU temperature reaching ~85C and the fans spinning like turbine engines, or
To let it go slow and steady, when the CPU temperature reaches 70C my script sends kill -TSTP -- $PID to pause the program until the temperature goes below a set level only to then send kill -CONT -- $PID to resume, looping until completion?

When can we expect the 1080 Ti?

If you think you have this problem, you need a better constructed laptop. When you find a laptop that has too-good-to-be-true-specs-at-this-price they are probably poorly built and will overheat.

If you're stuck with your current laptop for some reason, limit the max frequency to 90% or something.

This should NOT be a problem with desktop. If you're paranoid, you can try to step down the CPU multiplier at the BIOS.

I see, so basically when I open it, my player expect a video stream, but it gets a subtitle stream.
So I should make my map like this
-map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 1 -map 0:3

What graphics card would be good with a HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF PC?

Does Windows 10 makes periodic recovery points on startup (LKGC) ?

for gaymen?

yus

yea, like how i wrote it in

And if I wanted to play it despite this?
Is there an option other than downloading it?
I use mpv if that matters.

also, if this does fix the problem, i'm curious to know what you're using

i have yet to come across a player that makes assumptions about the content of streams personally

>And if I wanted to play it despite this?
>Is there an option other than downloading it?
i'm not sure what you're referring to here

No.
From the OS point of view HDD = SSD, just install your OS normally.

Get something like the low profile 970, it will fit the half sized bracket in the PC and should be power efficient enough to not tax the PSU.

Yeah it fixed it, I use mpv.
The strange thing is this only happens when I try to play it over http, locally this works normally.
What I mean is there a way to make mpv play the file despite having being the fist stream is a subtitle stream.