/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/events/rms-speeches.html
decalage.info/file_formats_security/pdf#Useful_analysis_tools
howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd
rbt.asia/g/thread/S54502672#p54506961
help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info)
help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How do I go on an adventure with Richard Stallman?

Go to his events and ask him.
fsf.org/events/rms-speeches.html

If I am visiting an interesting city or region, I will probably want
to do a few hours of sightseeing in between the work. But don't try
to plan sightseeing for me without asking me first--I can only spare a
limited time for it, so I am selective about where to go. Please
don't assume I want to see something just because it is customary to
take visitors there. That place may be of no interest with me.
Instead, please tell me about possible places to visit--then I can say
what I would like.

I enjoy natural beauty such as mountains and rocky coasts, ancient
buildings, impressive and unusual modern buildings, and trains. I
like caves, and if there is a chance to go caving I would enjoy that.
(I am just a novice as a caver.) I often find museums interesting,
but it depends on the subject.

I tend to like music that has a feeling of dance in it, but I
sometimes like other kinds too. However, I usually dislike the
various genres that are popular in the US, such as rock, country, rap,
reggae, techno, and composed American "folk". Please tell me what
unusual music and dance forms are present; I can tell you if I am
interested. If there is a chance to see folk dancing, I would
probably enjoy that.

If there is something else interesting and unique, please tell me
about it. Maybe I will be interested.

This

Why does he travel so much? And who takes those pictures of him?

Does he pose for those pictures or is he legitimately so obsessed with his computer so much he's constantly using it, even when sightseeing?

I wouldn't go sightseeing if I was obsessed with my computer.
And I was.

He's basically answering emails allday.

invite him to your home, go innawoods, ????

How fucked am I?

I posted yesterday asking about how to get into my win10 after installing Ubuntu. I was told to download a win10 iso and repair the MBR. I downloaded the iso and used
>sudo cp win10.iso /dev/sdc && sync
to make a live usb. However, the bios doesn't boot to the usb and returns to the boot list.

Either the iso is damaged, or the bios is. Is there some other way to get into win10? Pls help.

Email him, and ask him that. Post his response if he replies to you.

You should've used dd instead of cp.
sudo dd bs=4M -if=win10.iso -of=/dev/sdc status=progress && sync

Did you change the boot order in bios?

Sorry, there's no '-' before of and if. It should be like this:
sudo dd bs=4M if=win10.iso of=/dev/sdc status=progress && sync

What does sync actually do?

Ok, trying this now.

No, I went straight to the boot list where I can highlight and choose which device to boot from.

literally in the man page
>flush file system buffers
I'm too stupid to know what this means. I'm guessing it makes sure that the data you meant to write has actually been written, and is not still floating in some buffer in memory

Burn disk/WINE Rufus/Use VM

What's a good program to check for malicious pdfs?

if you deleted windows 10 then you deleted windows 10.

He didn't though.

I don't have a dvd burner cause caddy. How do I do the other 2?

Win10 folder and stuff is still there on the SSD. I have most probably fucked up the MBR.

clam i guess? are you scared of the gentoomen library?

I just want to scan my library after I was reading a blog about vunerables in documents.

decalage.info/file_formats_security/pdf#Useful_analysis_tools

Didn't work. Same thing happened. The bios screen returns to the list after I select the usb.

Try either using unetbootin to create the bootable USB or try burning it to a CD/DVD.

Let's say I've installed and setup a distro exactly how I need it, can I just create an image of it and use this image when I want to reinstall it or use at another computer?

I tried unetbootin earlier but it was a fucking mess. If there is no other option, I'll wait to get my hands on a windows computer to use rufus to do it.

You have to run unetbootin as root for it to work. You can do sudo unetbootin.

I can't remember but I tried it and it wouldn't work for some reason. It was a damn mess.

Which distro?

Arch or any other rolling distro. I guess for other distros is wouldnt make sense.

I'm looking to reformat my desktop to linux, currently windows 7 and only use for gaming. But, I'm begining work on parrallel processing of large amounts of information. Which disto would allow me to best control my hardware, and also run a vm for general use (windows)?

>tfw want to use Linux full time but need windows for ue4 dev work and muh gaems

Vulkan takeover can't come soon enough

Oh so you haven't actually done it yet.

Does it really need to be like an "image" because I would imagine it would go out of date pretty quickly which makes it seem kind of pointless.

Why not just come up with a system of keeping all that stuff in a common location that can be easily migrated from one system to another, even across different distros? (I do this with a few folders for my personal files, and my user configuration files are symlinks to a directory that holds them all. If I do that on all my systems then simply syncing those directories is the same as syncing all the configuration files I have in various places)

As for installed packages I only know that in Gentoo you could probably accomplish that with the "world" file. But I'm sure other distros have a way to get the full list of packages the user has requested to install too.

Actually a good idea.

Not sure, but that sounds like what you want is to have control over what goes into your kernel. You can use your own kernel on any distro but the only one I know of that makes configuring your own kernel a standard part of installation and maintenance is Gentoo.

>currently windows 7 and only use for gaming
If you're a big gamer you might want to make sure you really know what you're in for before diving in. Although Linux gaming is really taking off lately there's still going to be a ton of games you won't be able to play.

Or rather I should say a ton of games you won't be able to play natively. Of course you also can run them in WINE which can be really amazing sometimes giving you almost identical experience and performance as on windows
but also be aware that there are other times where it just doesn't work at all for some games, or has bugs or performance loss

I'm slowing moving away from gaming as a past time, wanting to do more work. Also will not be my first experience using linux I currently use centos on my laptop and ubuntu at work

Oh I should also mention that having all your software compiled on the actual machine it's running on is probably more optimized for the specific hardware you're using too (including the kernel I think), and Gentoo compiles everything from source.

Ue4 editor runs fine on gentoo last time i checked. But vulkan adoption can't happen fast enough, i agree.

>mfw fucked over MBR
>mfw can't get into win10
>mfw have to complete internship report by Monday
>mfw Libreoffice writer doesn't have spell-check
>fucking internet browsers have spell-check
>mfw internet keeps disconnecting cause of shitty drivers
>mfw Ubuntu
Fuck this shitty fucking piece of shit.

first time installing an OS user? serious question

No. Have installed windows before countless times.

Have also tinkered with android a bit.

it's really not that difficult

you can rebuild the mbr with testdisk

if you mean that you overwrote your bootloader, then you can reinstall grub and os-prober via chroot or you can just use a windows recovery disc to reload the windows bootloader (although you won't be able to boot ubuntu)

but first you need to actually figure out what you did wrong

what makes you think that your past experience with windows means that you will magically have linux knowledge?

that's like Tiger Woods getting frustrated that he's not a good QB because he's a good golfer and instead of blaming himself and improving his football skills, he writes off football instead

So do you want help user, or do you just want to complain to the aether?

What's a testdisk? I think the mistake I made was to select "windows loader" for the "device for bootloader installation" option, though I can't remember exactly if that was the option in the first place. I just saw that option off google right now.

Would reinstalling grub get me access to windows again? I don't wanna fuck that up too and have no access to any OS on my laptop.

I never said i expected that. Installation should've been an easy task, though. I didn't expect to be able to use the terminal from the get go; hell, the reason I installed Ubuntu was to be able to learn to use it in the first place. But fucking up an installation that bad shouldn't be possible. It's just the fucking installation.

I've been asking for help for the past 2-3 days. Nothing has worked so far. I don't know what the fuck to do.

yes, you can just reinstall grub if you want access to both oses. this involves a linux live/recovery cd, chrooting into your existing ubuntu installation, and reinstalling grub....very simple but if you don't have a conceptual framework of the process it may seem difficult

if you are just worried about windows then just use a windows recovery disc to reinstall the windows bootloader, but you won't be able to access ubuntu (possibly might be able to use bcdedit later to add access, but I have no experience with windows utilities like that)

and you didn't fuck up your mbr/gpt, which is why you probably haven't gotten much help, you need to actually know the terminology for what's going on to get people to help you

>saving a thumbnail

I have the ubuntu.iso file on my laptop from which I installed the OS in the first place. I can use that to reinstall grub? Should I boot into it and use repair like I would with a windows?

Libreoffice has spellchecking though.

Why do you name your operating system after the license header?

We don't. Now b8 some other thread.

yeah you can make a liveCD or liveUSB with the iso, boot it up, and then follow this:

howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd

not him, but it's currently broken in linux, or at least it is in my manually installed 'fresh' version

Would work the same way with the ubuntu iso to create the liveusb?

>GNU/Linux
>Only major contribution of GNU to Linux is the GNU GPL

yes

Oh look, unique bait.

Go away.

Just because you got trips:

The GNU project is in development since the 80s; it's an incomplete OS.

The Linux kernel is in development since the 90s; it's an incomplete OS.

GNU plus Linux = A complete operating system.

But what does GNU have to do with being an operating system? I know userland utilities are useful and all, but to me an operating system means providing:

>Storage abstraction, file systems
>Interface between the hardware and programs that run on it
>A way to start programs
>Interrupt handling and device drivers
>Memory management, memory protection and virtual memory
>Multitasking, scheduling
>Networking
>Security, privileges, separation
>Device initialization, enumeration and hotplugging

As far as I can tell, these are all done in the Linux kernel. What part is GNU contributing?

I want to jump on the linux train, but my pc has only 1gb of RAM and I'm not planning on buying a new one.
Is there any easy to install, lightweight distribution?

lel, I knew it: rbt.asia/g/thread/S54502672#p54506961

Fuck off finally.

>playing with OSes when you have shit due

Seemed like such a good plan tho..

I didn't expect it to fuck up this badly. I'd read I'd have to fix the MBR if I deleted ubuntu, but not about not being able to get into win10.

lubuntu

>I'd read I'd have to fix the MBR if I deleted ubuntu

Well whatever source you are using, stop using that because it's completely wrong

you can still boot w10 from grub, no problem, doesn't matter if ubuntu is installed or not

puppy

Some questions before I follow the procedure in the link.

It says to
>"Mount the partition your Ubuntu Installation is on."
I ran lsblk and got pic related. The installation is on sda, right? If not, how do I find out? I don't wanna use Gparted and get stuck so wanna find out beforehand.

In the second step, it says to run
>sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev &&
>sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts &&
>sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc &&
>sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
Do I just run them as it is or do I have to change anything?

Again, in the 3rd step, to check and update grub, do I replace the 'X' with the letter the installation is in, like in the first step?

>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
but I'm using busybox

Any small distros with a non-net installer?
Connection is shit here.

first of all, your partioning scheme is really fucking weird so I can't tell you with 100% certainty where everything is at

the installation appears to be on sda5, but depending on your partitioning scheme you may need to mount sda1 as /boot or /boot/efi (I cannot tell what it is from blkid).

Mount sda5 first as / and then mount sda1 as /boot (500MB is usually a default /boot size) or else /boot will get overwritten by sda5 (think about it for a second so you get an idea of what's going on)

But again, your partitions are all over the place and I can't even tell where your Windows partition is (sda2? sdb1?)

The second step is literally copypasta, that's just to transfer your existing ubuntu live hardware detection to the chroot environment so when you run update-grub it will find all of your partitions correctly and in the right order

the update-grub command in ubuntu should do everything for you (determine if you are using GPT or MBR and updating the grub.cfg in the right location)

the grub-install command will need to be directed to the right device, that I am guessing is /dev/sda but can't tell for sure.

I think ubuntu has a boot-info script (help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info) that will give more info than blkid, might be more helpful

but honestly the only way to be 100% certain is to always KNOW WHAT YOUR PARTITIONS ARE

Judging by the partition sizes, I can tell that the 132gig partition on sda is for windows and the 100gig one is the one with ubuntu. At least, that's how I want to install it. The set up was so fucking shit that I might have messed it up.

I'll get that online report from >help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
and post it here for a better idea.

why would I build anything from source if there is a precompiled version available?

tweaking compile flags
modifying source
just knowing what's in the program you're running

Maybe the precompiled version doesn't have the configuration you want?

ok I guess. I'm not experienced enough to know what I would want that a precompile wouldn't have

Removing some stuff you wouldn't use anyway can speed up a program. Removing propritary stuff to have more freedom. Also this:

Well, the liveusb didn't work. Selecting it as the boot device gets me to a black screen with the blinking cursor. At least its better than the win10 liveusb, which got me back to the boot list.

how do I find the command name of a program? Is ps aux really the best option?

apropos

it sounds like you have gpt/mbr incompatibility. Are you booting ubuntu in MBR mode and then trying to create a GPT liveUSB? Is your UEFI/BIOS set to hybrid or dual mode or uefi only? How is your USB stick formatted?

here are a 100 different options to create boot media that can circumvent that problem:
help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

I have torbrowser running. Do i also need a separate standalone tor for my default linux browser? because when i check.torproject with default browser it says tor is not running.

>re you booting ubuntu in MBR mode and then trying to create a GPT liveUSB? Is your UEFI/BIOS set to hybrid or dual mode or uefi only? How is your USB stick formatted?
How do I find out any of that?

Yes, but why would you want that?

sudo parted -l

Not optimized to your system

shouldnt the default browser also be using tor?

Yes.
Change your proxy settings in your browser.
Though this defeats the purpose of the bundle.Just setup tor by your self

that feeling when chrome is using so much memory you have to use a hdd for swap

>the feeling when you dont understand caching

well the real problem i am having is irssi can connect to onion getting timed out, so someone sd its possible the tor isnt running

No, torbrowser was made because for full anonymity you need, additional to tor, also tweak some browser settings. Torbrowser comes already tweaked and set up with tor. To use tor for your whole system, you need to use tor as system service and pipe the desired connections through it's port.

i beleive i setup tranparency and iptables.sh and am going though tor i thought. i had irssi working and connecting but today im just getting timed out

#!/bin/bash
export TORCHROOT=/opt/torchroot

mkdir -p $TORCHROOT
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/etc/tor
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/dev
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/usr/bin
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/usr/lib
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/usr/share/tor
mkdir -p $TORCHROOT/var/lib

ln -s /usr/lib $TORCHROOT/lib
cp /etc/hosts $TORCHROOT/etc/
cp /etc/host.conf $TORCHROOT/etc/
cp /etc/localtime $TORCHROOT/etc/
cp /etc/nsswitch.conf $TORCHROOT/etc/
cp /etc/resolv.conf $TORCHROOT/etc/
cp /etc/tor/torrc $TORCHROOT/etc/tor/

cp /usr/bin/tor $TORCHROOT/usr/bin/
cp /usr/share/tor/geoip* $TORCHROOT/usr/share/tor/
cp /lib/libnss* /lib/libnsl* /lib/ld-linux-*.so* /lib/libresolv* /lib/libgcc_s.so* $TORCHROOT/usr/lib/
cp $(ldd /usr/bin/tor | awk '{print $3}'|grep --color=never "^/") $TORCHROOT/usr/lib/
cp -r /var/lib/tor $TORCHROOT/var/lib/
chown -R tor:tor $TORCHROOT/var/lib/tor

sh -c "grep --color=never ^tor /etc/passwd > $TORCHROOT/etc/passwd"
sh -c "grep --color=never ^tor /etc/group > $TORCHROOT/etc/group"

mknod -m 644 $TORCHROOT/dev/random c 1 8
mknod -m 644 $TORCHROOT/dev/urandom c 1 9
mknod -m 666 $TORCHROOT/dev/null c 1 3

if [[ "$(uname -m)" == "x86_64" ]]; then
cp /usr/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so* $TORCHROOT/usr/lib/.
ln -sr /usr/lib64 $TORCHROOT/lib64
ln -s $TORCHROOT/usr/lib ${TORCHROOT}/usr/lib64
fi