/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", lightweight
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

macrumors.com/2016/05/23/macbook-pro-2016-oled-display-touch-bar/
youtube.com/watch?v=bhGydridbEA
linkedin.com/pulse/nasa-ships-hp-zbook-workstations-international-space-jari-hämäläinen
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Laptopt-Intel-Core-i5-2-60GHz-4GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-/231926890311?hash=item35ffeb7f47:g:V5UAAOSwMVFXIacm
ebay.com/itm/231927575647
item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=43820633263&toSite=main
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Im going to Uni next year, and need a small laptop, i was thinking of a 2nd hand/refurb x1 carbon. i dont want to spend anything over £500 ($750), and need it for work with office, and casual gaming (e.g. Fifa, WoW)

If you just intend to use it for Uni, you could save a lot of money by getting an X220 with an IPS panel.

1st or 3rd gen X1Cs are /tpg/ approved. I don't know about gaming performance. 2nd gens are eschewed for some reason I can't remember.

>2nd gens are eschewed for some reason I can't remember.
I think that's the one with the weird as fuck dynamic function row

That shit would be cool as hell if the user could completely customize it themselves, but unfortunately it's locked down to just a few options on a per-program basis

>I think that's the one with the weird as fuck dynamic function row
That and it's the one with no physical trackpad buttons

Trackpads where the entire thing is clickable is the worst meme and I'm glad it's dead now

macrumors.com/2016/05/23/macbook-pro-2016-oled-display-touch-bar/

>While long overlooked, the MacBook line is the brightest spot for Apple’s 2016 rollouts. This is particularly true of the two new MacBook Pro models, to be introduced in 4Q16, as they will have a thinner and lighter form factor, Touch ID, use OLED display touch bar (to replace physical function keys, located above the keyboard) and adopt USB- C / Thunderbolt 3.

If you can't innovate, imitate.

Thinkpads in space

youtube.com/watch?v=bhGydridbEA

kek. You can't make this shit up.

>apple

So that's a no for the user customizing it themselves too

Hey guys. Just wanting to ask a short few questions.

I already have a T400 maxed out. I love it but the GPU can be a little underpowered for some bad webpages (Facebook etc). Does anyone know any way to lower the load on the GPU on these pages? It just lags a little bit so it's still usable.

I'm also a huge fan of little laptops and 4:3 screens. I've been looking at getting an SVGA X61t, but I'm not sure if it'll still be usable. As long as it can run browsers and word editors etc. it'd be fine. Can any X61t users tell me what it's like? I kind of need to run Windows for the work I do.

Thanks.

No, I'm certain they will expose some sort of API so programs can change the function bar for different needs (think internet browsers having refresh, back/forward shortcuts).

It's got a higher chance of having 3rd party software support than what was shown in the X1C

Disable Flash

linkedin.com/pulse/nasa-ships-hp-zbook-workstations-international-space-jari-hämäläinen

They are being replaced with ZBooks

disable window compositing

>linkedin.com/pulse/nasa-ships-hp-zbook-workstations-international-space-jari-hämäläinen
:(

At least we were there first

So I finally spilled soda on my T420, disassembled it and cleaned it, only a bit had gotten on the expresscard/SD slots
So I cleaned it, reassembled and now it won't turn on, though I do get the 3 battery blinks when I connect the AC, and it also blinks 3 times if I try to power it on, it also seems to charge the battery
Is the motherboard fried? Or something might be shorting?
It was working after the spill, but I disconnected the AC and the battery pretty soon

Can't complain, they are excellent machines given the fact that Lenovo truly fucked up in the last few years.

>NASA selected the HP ZBook 15 (Gen 2) mobile workstation as the next generation of laptops that will be deployed on the International Space Station in March of 2016 replacing the HP EliteBook 8570w mobile workstations that are currently in use aboard the ISS.

Didn't know they used elitebooks before

Yeah, it was the x1 carbon 1st gen i was looking at

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's no need for an IPS screen unless you work as a designer or an autist.

there's no need for a laptop either desu

As a person who works very hard at having eyes, I can assure you it's necessary.

It's not NECESSARY but it's nice as fuck to be able to sit down and watch a movie without having to fuck with your screen to get the right angle where darks are actually dark and not brighter than lighter parts

Guys. Recently got a T440p with the fucking atrocious TN HD panel. Upgraded the screen with a 1080p IPS and am enjoying.

Problem being that I bought this to replace the X301 I had been using for the past two years, screen got cracked by circumstances beyond my control and it was near impossible finding a replacement for it. I found that it was the perfect size and weight to carry around with me, where as the T440p is nearly double the weight and volume. I don't mind all that much because I've recently gotten rid of the desktop and use it as my main machine at home.

I just want a replacement for my X301 to take places, I've been thinking maybe an X220-X240
considering the praise they receive here, as this thing needs to hold up to road trips I take.

What do you all think?

Anyone tell me what thinkpad would play black ops and some of the older battlefield titles at decent fps?

>buy thinkpad
>breaks within a week
Never again

Have you tried stop being a wimp?
T440p is plenty small and light.

This.

The viewing angles alone justify IPS.

Whoever was the last person to service this is a faggot.
I'm mad.

Just ordered an upgrade kit for my T420s. Still need a screen. Anyone who knows a seller who doesn't sell counterfeit screens (preferably in Europe)

Currently thinking about getting an x230 and modding the x220 keyboard in. Had anyone successfully been able to do this and gotten all the keys to work?

289 cycles and still holding up like a boss

The X220 keyboard will physically fit in the X230 chassis, but the problem is the key mapping in the BIOS is very different. While the letters work fine, a lot of the function and keyboard shortcut keys have been moved around or removed from the X230, which presents it's own set of problems. If you're willing to live with it, I personally wouldn't, then you can put the X220 keyboard in. If you really dislike it that much, I'd say don't buy the X230 and instead buy a X220. There's little difference between the two, other than USB 3.0, and you might put a few bucks in your pocket.

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads

I thought it was just a few keyboard combinations that didn't work if you flashed the custom EC?

that's just stock lenovo paste

How well does the X220 handle gaming? Want it for CSGO and WoW.

It can probably handle CSGO and WoW on pretty low settings, the HD3000 is kinda shit. If you're gonna game I would suggest getting a X230 instead since the HD4000 is leaps ahead of the HD3000

Well my bughestb udget for a laptop is $300 right now due to financial troubles, the refurb X220's are hte perfect price for me.

ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Laptopt-Intel-Core-i5-2-60GHz-4GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-/231926890311?hash=item35ffeb7f47:g:V5UAAOSwMVFXIacm

Throw in some more RAM and you're good to go

>CSGO
maybe, and then I say maybe, on the lowest resolution with all settings set to the lowest as possible but it runs atrocious on my T420s i5-2540M reaching only 40 FPS with everything on low 720p. CS1.6 looks and runs better though.
I have no idea about WoW, but I do know that Diablo II runs fantastic! :D
You can emulate older 2D games on it (it can easily run DS games)
Also indie platformers run well, things like Risk of Rain and Shovelknight run smoothly.

It's just not made for 3D games.

The T420s has HD3000 which is shit, the HD4000 is slightly less shit (but still shit) so if he turns down the graphics way down it should be playable. It won't be the best experience but it would be playable

why is the cheapest screen on the x220 such ass??

>why are cheap display panels from 2011 bad
gee, I don't know

Because it's TN?

I already have an x220, but I want to make the best possible 'pad with the classic keyboard. I've read about putting custom mappings in the BIOS/microcontroller but it's not clear if it fully works

Your keyboard uses a small controller which tells the computer what key you pressed. The input from the keyboard is different between the older and the newer keyboard so not all keys work. The solution is to flash custom firmware to the controller which tells the correct keys from the newer style keyboard.

From what I understand to flash the controller you download the correct ISO for your computer and boot it.

>counterfeit screens

Would an X220 be sufficient for making games?

>There are some sellers selling fake screens on ebay!!!! Please be aware!!!! You are responsible for finding the genuine screen yourself.
This comes from the guy form who I bought the upgrade kit: ebay.com/itm/231927575647

Sorry if "counterfeit" isn't the same as "fake", English isn't my first language

For 2D games? Absolutely.

For 3D games? Well, I suppose you could if you kept your models very simple. But you'd run into issues with the X220's screen size. I've tried using blender on it, and it's very cramped.

Speaking of X220 tablets though, recently one came up in my area. I was wondering what a good price would be, and if anyone could share any experiences they've had with it.

Is 2.4 kg too much for a laptop?

For manlets, it is.

Don't be a bitch.

>All that copper in the G40 heatsink
Feels good.

anyone mind sharing their tlp settings?

i got 5 hours on a 9 cell which has the capacity of a 6 cell kek

link me an ebay thinkpad meeting this criteria plz
15.6"+
1920x1080
ips panel
8-16gb ram
i5 2.5ghz+
ssd 128gb+
>700usd

You guys know the viewing angles on a good TN are not sufficiently worse than IPS, right? The AUO screens you can get on the W series are, in many respects, even better than IPS.

T560?

I was gonna say the same, at $700, his budget really isn't that tight.

going into CS and thinking about getting a x220. will the small screen res be a hinderance?

No, you'll be in class a short amount of time and when you're not in class you can hook the thinkpad up to a monitor which bumps the res up as high as 1080p. The resolution on the X220 screen is fine.

I have an X201 running Windows 10 and I just got an ExpressCard USB 3.0 adapter in the mail. I tried installing all the drivers on the included CD and the drive will power USB peripherals when plugged in, but they aren't detected in Windows. It doesn't appear that the ExpressCard slot is recognized at all.

Are there drivers for Windows 10 somewhere that I can download? My Google-fu is showing that maybe it's just not an option to use the ExpressCard slot with anything newer than XP?

Just pulled the trigger lads, my x220 is on it's way.

So I just got my hands on a 390x.
Should I keep Windows 98 on it or install lubuntu?

how bad would i be if i went with e560 because budget

No, it's consumer crap, you're better of getting a toshiba satellite than that.

A bit small for shit like Eclipse or whatever but if you can get away with vim or Notepad++ it's perfectly adequate

>The AUO screens you can get on the W series are, in many respects, even better than IPS.
I have one, and no, it's still a very significant difference

>You guys know the viewing angles on a good TN are not sufficiently worse than IPS, right?
Also, most Thinkpad TN panels ARE significantly worse than IPS (the T420/T430's especially)

Could be the expresscard slot itself needs a driver. Anything showing up as unknown device in device manager?

>viewing angles on a good TN
Well there you go, most thinkpads have bad TNs

Thinking about ordering an X230 with the 1080p mod and sticking the X220 keyboard in it as well.

item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=43820633263&toSite=main

I gotta use a taobao agent and this is probably gonna cost at least $600

Thoughts?

I don't see any unknown devices in device manager, but I also don't see anything explicitly labelled as the ExpressCard slot. I also can't seem to find an ExpressCard slot driver online anywhere. Lenovo's website just tells me that XP/7 support ExpressCard out of the box.

>X61t
I have one and it runs wonderfully. My gf actually uses it as her main PC and has been doing all her uni work on it.

Only problem is the one I have not only has bubble screen but a cracked screen too. I planned to replace or fix it but I have been a lazy fuck these last couple years.

Why are there no high resolution options for the newer X series thinkpads? I wanted to upgrade but I would end up with screens smaller than my SXGA+ screen.

Isn't the listed price just two hundred odd though?

>the Libretto is now over 20 years old
>the last quality thinkpad is now over 11 years old
>high-quality portable computers lasted only 9 years

I'm not convinced a market doesn't exist for such devices.

What should I put in my T420's expansion slot?
are hard drives feasible? video card adapters?

Any $500 AUD or less thinkpad with a 1080p+ screen?

>Why are there no high resolution options
they're "business" laptops
this means a lot of contracts with institutions that don't have screen quality anywhere on the requirement list

>I'm not convinced a market doesn't exist for such devices.
It's too small to be profitable. Computer hardware has grown to be so cheap that overall quality can decrease since the end consumer is not spending large sums like they were a decade ago. Shorter upgrade cycle means lower build quality.

I'm a CS/Math student in uni looking for a laptop for programming when I'm at school during the day (I have a desktop at home, where I am at night). Looking to spend less that $500 and was thinking about getting a T430 off Craigslist for $340 and not going for a T420 due to the slightly less powerful CPU. What do you guys think, is this a wise option or is there another laptop you'd recommend?

Nigga 1080p on a 12 inch screen is plenty, how the fuck you gonna read anything if it's any higher?

Either will suit you well

I recommend doing the T420->T430 keyboard swap, the classic keyboard is just an absolute joy to type on

Just make damn sure you get 1600x900 and not 1366x768, you will hate yourself if you try to use any IDEs on the latter

Personally I'd look for a T520 or T530 for dat sweet sweet 1080p but that's up to you

When I say newer I mean like 200+ series. They are all like 800 or lower.

They've had 1080p option since X240

So My x230 is on the way, it has only 4g ram. Is it ddr3-1600 the max power I can go for?

Anyone? I don't want to end up with a 1080p TN panel

How often do you see people getting x240+ models on here? The buyers guide stops at x240 as the upper end.

there's no way that that's true
at the very worst it will be lie the 12" macbooks autistic keyboard

Anyone here selling a w530 by chance?

>X240
that's not really what the thread is about

You might as well buy some rope while you're at it.

Is the E460 equally shit? Found a nice deal for one.

t. 1366x768 cuck

USB 3.0
It's cheap and can be useful, otherwise eGPU but that is somewhat more expensive

Yes. The whole edge series is consumer crap.