Convince me to install Gentoo Linux

Convince me to install Gentoo Linux.
What's the point other than bragging on Sup Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/
gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html
gentoo.no-ip.org
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>crickets

>404

Just do it you faggot

Yeah but why would I do that when I have more comfy distros ?

can you photoshop cool shit like that with gentoo?

What does this even mean? Gentoo is built around a package manager and an closely associated init system; you can get Gentoo to aesthetically and effectively emulate any other Linux distro.

Easily configure system to your needs. If you want minimal dependencies for example, you can easily have it by using USE flags per-program basis or on the whole system.
Quite literally, if you want a relatively easy dive into knowing what the fuck your operating system is actually doing, install Gentoo (by following handbook).

I know Arch is about learning Linux.
Is Gentoo MUCH harder than Arch ?
I'm typing from Arch btw.
But it's not as nearly as close as minimal system, so Gentoo it is ?
I mean, do I need to know anything before installing it ? And do packages compile from source for 3 hours or is it just a meme ?

installing gentoo is easy
maintaining gentoo properly is a pain in the ass

>Is Gentoo MUCH harder than Arch ?
No, it isnt, if you can read instructions.

>And do packages compile from source for 3 hours or is it just a meme ?
That is completely dependent on the system and the package in question; packages with high library dependencies compile for a 'long' time, Firefox being a good example.

So much this. It's the main reason I can't stick with it. Every time I leave Ubuntu I come crawling back, I'm so ashamed of myself.

you can use gimp :^)

You're not really to be enlightened lol You're probably too fucking stupid to use a source based distro anyway.

Can you define a "long time" ?
I have 64-bit 1,1GHz processor and Intel HD graphics.
If it's gonna compile for more than an hour, then I'm out :)

Gentoo is amazing. I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once. And it's all fine because the programs that depend on specific architectures or specific versions of programs are compiled from source, so portage just links them with the version it knows it depends on.

See devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/ and gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html

If you've ever had to deal with dependency issues with packages you'll know why this is awesome.

Also being able to manually include (or exclude) certain features from any package or your kernel is extremely useful. For example, I was able to simply remove the SSL heartbeat extension and recompile my packages when the heartbleed vuln came out.

Did I even mention Portage?
>Portage works without any external repo.
>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
>Portage supports distcc.
>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python ruby gtk etc)
>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
>Portage can thread package installs and downloads

Meanwhile, with Arch
>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros
It's not the worst distro, but there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.

>I know Arch is about learning Linux.
No, Gentoo and Arch are perfectly capable of being production environment distros; they are usually not because it's more time consuming to set up and there's not a huge tradeoff.
>Is Gentoo MUCH harder than Arch ?
I'd be compelled to say it's easier because you don't have to understand systemd commands due to it using no such daemon by default.
>But it's not as nearly as close as minimal system, so Gentoo it is ?
It could be said so, but primarily because systemd dependencies are an absolute hot mess.
>I mean, do I need to know anything before installing it ?
Read the handbook.
>And do packages compile from source for 3 hours or is it just a meme ?
This is subjective - depends on if you configure it one way or another, depends on the speed of your hardware, depends if you have compiler cache or not, depends on the version of gcc you're using, etc. It's perfectly possible to get under 3 hour compilations on every single package on modern hardware if you set optimization levels reasonably low (most flags are stripped in many programs anyway).

You don't have to compile Firefox, LibreOffice, etc. Just get the binary packages

I've had the opposite experience.

Took somewhere around 4-8 hours to install to the point I had a WM and essential apps installed.

Super simple to maintain. This is the main reason I've never tried another distro since.

CFLAGS
Compilation makes your programs faster.

Maintaining is easy as pie nowadays if you update regularly and dont use mixed stable and unstable arch. Of course, you should read the update news provided by portage, so that you know if major version change in some large package is incoming.

Right. We just got a new SSL too and I'm pretty sure it's exclusive to Gentoo. It's pretty awesome. Also hardened Gentoo is amazing.

Yes, with that processor Firefox will probably take an hour or more (i take it that it is a mobile cpu).

I am probably too stupid to use it anyways, but the best way to learn something is to try.
I don't know what those are but I will look into it. Thanks for the info !

Son, you just simultaneously made me want to try Gentoo and gave me a raging veiny nerd boner

Yeah, I have a craptop. Arch runs just fine on it though (except with Gnome, it's slow as shit then) .
So, to install Firefox, LibreOffice, Gimp, mpd+ncmpcpp , mpv and all of that shit I'm going to need at least four hours ?
I mean, it will run faster but is it really worth it ?

Yeah, without compilation opening the executable only comes up with a bunch of lines of code, clearly, Gentoo is the only reasonable option if you want to be able to run real programs.

Just get the binary packages for large programs

Are binary packages installed similar as Arch's yaourt ?

>Takes too long to compile
Then just use the precompiled binaries you big dummies. You can also prepare binaries. Compiling from source is definitely worth it for the increase in performance.

Better suggestion is to get the binary version first and then compile it from source when you have time (to have less dependencies for example), all the while using the computer to your needs.

Last night I hooked up with portage and synced it, and emerged her deeply into @world. She god so worked up so quickly, as each make make install flew down my screen, my CPU would scream in pleasure. After she finished, of course, I finished myself off with a nice rev-dep rebuild, and finally an emerge --depclean -a to get rid of all the mess we left behind.

What a night.

Yaourt is a frontend to the AUR. Which is source code. The default portage is closest to using yaourt, but a hell of a lot better. You can straight up install binary packages as you would usually for large programs like firefox, though I really wouldn't recommend it if you're not on a shitbox.

I usually do my revdep-rebuild after the depclean

Please don't tell me you had to unmask her, user.

Binary packages: gentoo.no-ip.org

I hope you try it out. Installing is kind of laborious, but the handbook kind of holds your hand, which is a good thing. Portage, the package manager, can seemingly do anything. In think of switching back to Gentoo from OpenBSD.

How's the battery life on a properly set up Gentoo laptop?

Fuck I would want to switch away from that useless pile of shit too