Is this the best language for Statistics?

Is this the best language for Statistics?

S

R/Weka probably

No one uses S anymore. It is shit compared to R, and you have to pay for it.

The right answer for most things is Python/Pandas. R still has more packages, though. Python is just a better language, and has more stuff outside stats.

T

Yes

this

I quite liked R when I messed around with it a couple years ago. All I did was shit out graphs of the collatz conjecture but it was interesting to learn and use.

That is not Julia.

What is it with these projects and having such half-assed logos?

That shit would actually look pretty good if they just reversed the embossing.

it's not a pretty language and some functionality is not very consistent. However, it gets the job done. Especially, if you just play around with the data.

no time for logos, doing maths and shit

R cant handle large data sets (it cant 'scale')
R is slow as shit, Google machine learning programmers have to re-write their R programs in C++

this is why Julia was invented, fast, intuitive syntax, is low level enough for systems level programming

>index starts at 1 instead of 0

Into the trash it goes

1-based indexing is the standard in numerical programming. Fortran (still the only choice for supercomputing) and Matlab both use it. Julia is just conforming to expectations. Some things are easier in 1-based, some things in zero-based.

The standard in math is 1-based, so it makes sense that indexing works the same.

This.

It's like what python is to most of programming tasks.

It is good enough for a broad scope of things and can do miracles in good hands. But if you need something in particular you should always think in investing in a language which let's you have that granularity, such as C. I always use those two.

>TL;DR R is good enough for general stats.

APL
ā•Vā•

I'm glad the industry is adapting open standards

R is the continuation of S
not everything is a consumertard meme product
>everything is a general purpose language

>R cant handle large data sets (it cant 'scale')
Yes it can, and many people use it in large data environments too (see: Walmart).
>R is slow as shit, Google machine learning programmers have to re-write their R programs in C++
So do the rest of us, if we need to push our stuff to a production environment. But fwiw, Rcpp makes stuff pretty fast too.