/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/photos/rms-working/
stallman.org/photos/rms-working/pages/[1-146].html
gnu.org/doc/fsfs-ii-2.pdf
bigsurcalifornia.org/redwoods.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Debian a great

first for LXQt LXDE Openbox DWM and st

I optimized your wallpaper; your wallpaper is now optimized.

where was this picture taken? looks like a nice forest to be in.
indeed

I love you, optimizer man. Can't wait to put those ~100 KB to good use!

anyone got a nice arkanoid game

Get fs-uae and run the classics!

How can I make wget go to the related page and download the fullsized pics?

stallman.org/photos/rms-working/

no ty I just want good ol arkanoid, trying to save on useless packages

kbreakout
>0 upgraded, 134 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
>Need to get 75.7 MB/81.8 MB of archives.
>After this operation, 234 MB of additional disk space will be used.
>Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
uhhhh

lbreakout2 looks good, thanks

GPU is Kepler and running on Mint Rafaela, so screen is tearing.

Is Vsync the only option?

when was the breaking point where debianfaggots became as annoying (if not more) than archfags on Sup Forums?

That's because it depends on KDE

>i need to install debian on old machine with 5400 wd green drive
>it is already more than 1 hour and about 80 to 85% completed according to how bar is filled
I'm not sure if I'm too used to ssd speeds or wd greens are just a damn garbage.

why do you faggots care on packages? i have shit installed i rarely use, maybe once a year even, with shitloads of dependencies only for this one program, so?

I think the greens are garbage, it took about 25min on a old PPC PowerG4 with Jessie (over the net) just a few days ago, with DE/WM packages.

PowerMacG4*
Sorry.

I can't make my mind from XFCE and MATE - I appreciate and feel more attracted to MATE, but looking at videos of people playing around wit XFCE - it looks somewhat smoother and there are some great themes anyone can install pretty easy that make it gorgeous.

>PPC G4
how is it? what do you use it for? how many packages are there could i run openbox and icecat/iceweasel on a PPC g5?

I use it for shittposting on Sup Forums behind 7 proxies.
Also I can run opebox on a ARMv4 so PPC G5? Whynot.jpg.rar

there is simply no need to be upset lid

I'mma de-lid you brich, now tell me a freaking answer

that's awesome, gonna put this thing to use as a shitposting machine again then. the case is too sexy to not use.
is there anything to be aware of when installing distros on an apple device?

Does stallman have internet on pic related?

he draws wifi from the spirits of the woods
level 90 computer magick

Just put the Ghostbusters on speed-dail,
ghost of Steve Jobs might come babble about shit from time to time.
Else it works fine.

Both

No, he has everything on hes drive, offline, he never actually uses internet while the computer is connected to it, he downloads everything and uses it, then when hes connected again, it uploads it.

For mail, web browsing, etc.

KEK

Epic, now we need to build a game around RMS and computer magick

:)

I'm stuck between cinnamon and budgie please help

I will speak from experience since I started my gnu/linux experience with xfce and used it exclusively for the majority of the time I've used Linux and only recently switched to mate.

Mate plays nicer as a whole. It has complete set of desktop applications, pdf reader and shiz that XFCE lacks.
It's a fork of gnome2 the moment it was discontinued so even without those few years in development by mate devs it was already a very mature desktop environment.

Both XFCE and MATE are gtk 2 (albeit mate is in the process of being ported to gtk3 to accomodate for wayland and some mate applications are already gtk3)
So the meme of "xfce has better themes" is pure myth.
They both use the same and there aren't many working GTK2/GTK3 themes to begin with. I can name like 5 of them.
Numix, Arc, Zukitwo, Radiance/Ambiance and that's fucking all.

But yes xfwm4 has better themes than metacity, I can agree on that.

But bugs are there, the development is terribly slow
>I've waited like 3 years for xfce to fix the bug where the whole desktop would freeze for a solid 20 seconds after I moved something from the ~/Desktop to the trashbin
>Thunar still struggles with icons of network shares.
>Default XFCE's archiever (xarchiever?) is absolute buggy garbage that refuses to work with half of the available archieve types AND it requires heavy fuckery to make gnome-archive (gnome3 archiver) or engrampa (mate archiver) to work with thunar's context menu
>XFCE multi monitor support is broken but just so happens to werk™ in mate.
>MATE has thumbnails for a lot of media types xfce doesn't have (webm for example) out of the box

But be free to pick your poison.

No matter which one you choose sooner or later you will find that one incredibly annoying shortcoming of it that will make you consider switching to another environment.

Why not explorer.exe or WindowServer?

curl -s stallman.org/photos/rms-working/pages/[1-146].html | sed -n 's/.*alt="\([^"].*jpg\).*/http:\/\/stallman.org\/photos\/rms-working\/\1/p' | xargs wget -nv

Or just rms.sexy, but the collection there is different:

wget -e robots=off --no-check-certificate -nc -nd -nv -ERhtml -Ajpg,JPG -r rms.sexy/img/

(Get ur stallmans today!)

Also reminder to jpegoptim * :^)

Do you guys still hate ubuntu? Linux Mint a shit? What is the most commonly recommended OS to go balls deep in?

Yes, Yes, Debian, Arch, Gentoo

>1-146
>ls | wc -l
>135

>So the meme of "xfce has better themes" is pure myth.

Oh I was not even aware it was a meme - it was a personal observation.

I was also aware of development being very slow and XFCE overall performing at the bottom of DE's list.

I appreciate, your time investment - I will go with MATE.

Mainly because I simply can.

That's great, I'm into S&M too.

is there a way to watch netflix on firefox/chromium on xubuntu or do i have to use google chrome?

>JPG
curl -s stallman.org/photos/rms-working/pages/[1-146].html | sed -n 's/.*alt="\([^"].*[jpg|JPG]\).*/http:\/\/stallman.org\/photos\/rms-working\/\1/p' | xargs wget -nv
Fixed.

Does your terminal support true color?
Post terminal and y/n:
printf "\x1b[38;2;40;177;249mTRUECOLOR\x1b[0m\n"

URxvt / n

Colors are for gays anyway.

>will not start login manager and x unless firmware-linux-nonfree is installed
>sudo not included by default
They are indeed stable by all means, it's the same shit I've seen 6 years ago when I first tried it.

>using a "freedom" distro
>clearly sees it restricts your choice of basic software
Come Son, I will guide you to the true freedom land

>he thinks choosing to be a slave of some developers program that executes unknown code, forbids reading the source code and forbids sharing your changes with your best friend is freedom land

>this guy again

Not having sudo by default is good imo. On a day to day basis no user should need to do anything in the guts of the system

>
>54744815
>I have never in my life had a situation when this has happened,ever
You stallmanist drank the special koolaid to think this

Tell me ONE instance where any of these is relevent in your life.
Just ONE.

Trying to setup a firewall since my router died. Trying to use ufw,and its erroring out with
iptables table filter does not exist

NETFILTER is hard enabled in kernel,and iptables is installed and updated

>that guy getting his rocks off trolling gnufriends

fug that guy

Don't you have better things to do than following this thread every single day and posting this Sup Forums tier trash?

Dont you have better things to do then deflect when ever this question is asked?

Nigger if you don't understand how software freedom works, go read a book about it or search the web like a normal person.

>still deflecting
Because it has never happened in your life,when a program threatend your LIFE.

see

'filter' isn't a table

for a router kind of thing you should only need the INPUT and NAT tables with prerouting and forward commands

See

gnu.org/doc/fsfs-ii-2.pdf

That point has long past, my friend. But no one will notice until someone makes a few shitty comics about Debian users.

While I'm not sure.
bigsurcalifornia.org/redwoods.html
If I had to guess.

>still deflecting

Even just using iptables its self, executing iptables -L as root shows the same error

>Advanced network setup
My current setup works fine, but Id like to make it a bit more comfy.
I use a computer(Arch/headless) with two ethernet ports as a way to have my xbox on a vpn. My setup goes xbox > computer port 2 > ppp0(port one) > router/modem > internet.
The problem is services running on the actual home network like dlna, ftp, or xbox smart glass, or miracast cant actually see the xbox. I would like for everything that is connected to the computers second port to be on the same lan as the first port, but for any wan activities they would go through the ppp0 connection instead of ethernet port one.

Does anyone have any experience doing this sort of stuff? If so, can you help me out or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Pic probably unrelated. It's netctl, and I am using ip and iptables to have the current setup work.

I'm thinking of installing arch on my work laptop. I've been using it on my main computer for 4 months now and I haven't had a single major issue.

Is it safe to use a bleeding edge distro for work? As long as I don't run pacman -Syu during work hours is there anything that could bite me in the ass that could've been avoided using a different distro?

>xbox on a vpn
what?
>networking
Might be able to do this with a bridge
If not
Heavy use of iptables.Forwarding and routing it around

>what?
I hang out in the bad parts of xbox live.
>Heavy use of iptables.
that's what I'm thinking, but I don't know enough about it and just used up all of my free time screwing around with it with no results.

If you need it for work,check out the mailing list for potential issues.Other wise read what packages are going to be installed.Also create snapshots so you can easily revert installs if something happens(snapper,snap-pac)

I updated to Debian Testing and after rebooting it's just a blinking cursor

What do?

what did you update?

looks like apt-get broke your kernel again

Went from stable to testing in sources.list then did apt-get update && ap-get upgrade

Rebooted and bam

How can I fix it?

>Went from stable to testing in sources.list then did apt-get update && ap-get upgrade
And what did you update?

Over 300mb of packages

>It's THAT guy again
Seriously faggot. Just leave, we don't need your funny maymays.

You don't know what you updated?
You deserve what you got. There's a reason it's called stable and testing.

if i walked through the log to find him i'd at least punch his junk

lolwut

why does Dick bring his fucking laptop into the public? The other picture I saw he was at the beach. I used to bring electronics on vacation, too, when I was fucking twelve.

I'm guessing he went there just to take the photo. Probably supposed to mean something, like the forest represents freedom or some such bullshit. I've seen several of him in spectacular places just like this one.

Perfect use of donated funds!!!

>go on Sup Forums
>know absolutely nothing about computers
>see a riced debian install in a desktop thread
>slap debian on my laptop and rice it to the max
>have to look up questions i have on google every 5 minutes because i have no idea how my machine works

at least i have a sick desktop though, r-right?

It gets easier the more you use it user. I did the same thing with Arch...

So how can I install zen/liquorix kernel in manjaro? The problem is that it is in the main arch repos but not the manjaro ones.

M-muh freedumbs.

x220 fag here. How bad will it be if I install Debian unstable on my mememachine? How great will it be?

I'm not sure what it even means to be bleeding edge.

Did you start with 0 knowledge when going with Arch? I'm tempted to try it but I don't have more than a few hours a week to do any tweaking/learning (for Arch shit specifically)

I've been using a Chromebook with Linux running in a chroot for the last few years. It's a pain in the ass and I'm thinking of getting a new laptop for work now that the semester is ending. What are some laptops that have good Linux support?
I'm looking for something pretty cheap, It doesn't have to be all that powerful, I just use my laptop for development (text editing, compiling, debugging) and shitposting. Are Thinkpads as good as I've heard or is that a meme? Are there any better options? What do you guys use?

Thinkpad

I'd been using Linux regularly for about a year, so I was pretty familiar with the stuff I use every day. However, I did have to learn a lot of new stuff in order to get it installed and it proper order.
I wanted to be especially 1337 at the time, so I didn't use any helper programs or installers, which ate time and ended up being way more painful then it had to be.
Honestly, these days I'm just happy with Ubuntu or Debian, there's no reason to make things extra difficult. Any distro can basically be turned into any other distro anyway, so why make things hard.
Arch will teach you a lot though, you should try it at least once as a learning experience.

I don't care about linux vs. windows, but what the fuck is Stallman doing in this pic? And who the fuck takes pictures of him programming everywhere he goes?

Thanks family. I think I'll try Debian first and do Arch later for the experience. What do you recommend I start with? Testing? Stable?

Either is fine really. I'd probably do stable

install gentoo

Already did :^)