8GB of ram is enough he said

>8GB of ram is enough he said

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

For shitposting

8gb is enough, but if you're going to get 16gb then you might as well get 32gb.

the only trhing worse than bad graphics is bad graphics that think they are good graphics

like in the screenshot

...plus, bad optimisation.

> getting 32gb of ram instead of 128gb master race
ISHYGDDT

128gb is fine, but if you're going to get 128gb then you might as well get 256gb

>b-but the gtx 970's 3.5GB is okay.. I don't play above 1080p anyway..
>proceeds to launch Undertale or League of Legends

what is this ugly looking game

that's fine but 512GiB of RAM is clearly the better option

What I don't understand is how people who go for 256gb don't go instead for 6TB

What game is this, far cry primal? It looks like shit and if it needs 10+GB of vRAM to run them something is seriously wrong with it. Battlefield consumes about 3GB of vRAM at 4k with AA turned on and on the ultra graphics preset.

Unless this game is running at 8k resolution in which case the vRAM usage is reasonable and OP is a faggot.

Bullshit aside,

I'm thinking of buying another 8gb, JUST so I can do the whole GPU Passthrough thing. It's really tempting.

what is this GPU passthrough you speak of?

> 2016
> 6TB of RAM
> not going for 1PB
shaking my head to be honest dudes

Don't listen to the plebs OP, I'm not even playing a game or anything.

I'm almost embarrassed for people that think 8 GiB is enough. Do they literally only use facebook or something?

>Dudes

Your life, user.

Welcome to the world of current AAA game titles, where everything is unoptimized, needs 10+ gb of vram to run properly and need 2 980's to sty at 60 fps.

my bad, dudes and this gay user

wat, we aint SENPAI no more, brosephine? water u tryin 2 say

Use Windows on a virtual machine that can use a GPU for breakfast

So I can use linux and play something like Overwatch or whatever the fuck people play these days

>I live in the vaseline-smeared paleolithic era

eat a dick

You're smalltime. 1PB doesn't provide as much as 70PB.

>not at least 128 exa bytes of RAM
it's like you want your computer to be laggy

It's a way to get almost close to native performance in windows virtual machines. Very, very close.

I'm not even mad. 16GB RAM is like $50? Poorfags gonna poorfag.

not him but we don't know if the game is running at 8k or not. Of course it's gonna need a shitload of vram if it's running at 8k.

Ok, what's the trick here? What are you not showing us?

Appreciate you, my nugga. (,:

>gaymen
off yourself

>Screenshot is 1080p

Do you want me to post my ingame settings?

That's not FC:P, it's some shitty indie survival game which are never even finished let alone optimized.

Windows caches a bunch of shit when you aren't music out your ram. If you have a really fast SSD you'll hardly notice though

>This game
>AAA

>paleolithic era had dinosaurs from every other era, and giant, alien spires
Butthurt Rust player detected. Go ogle some swaying testes ya phag

I have one 4 GB RAM disk, the rest is just the regular things like steam and stuff.

>he doesn't do virtualization

>Butthurt Rust player detected. Go ogle some swaying testes ya phag
I don't even know what fucking game we're talking about you neckbearded hamplanet don't try to claim me as your own.

I thought the 10GB was referring to vRAM, disregard that I suck cocks.

>16GB is more than you will ever need
They said

Maybe for you right now. When I built my PC nearly 2yrs ago the cost of 16gb was £120 minimum.

That's $176 for you amerifags. At least prices are falling but u still don't use enough ram to justify spending anything yet.

$176 isn't even much, I spent $196 on my 32 GB laptop RAM a couple months ago and didn't bat an eye. Even the ssd I bought was more expensive at like $325

>Taakbeheer
Ahmed pls

32gb ram costs around $600 in india and we dont even earn that much (compared to dollars)
>fuck this shit

Do you not understand value? $196 for 32GB is much better than $176 for 16GB. For someone building a new setup a few months ago it would have been unwise to max out the RAM immediately unless it was absolutely necessary considering DDR4 prices are half what they were then.

Way more than it should be for something I don't /need/ but would be nice to have for that one time..

>196 for 32gb
Yeah you see that's twice the amount for just $20 more.
I did get a 240gb ssd for less than half the price of 16gb ram because it was a good deal and I actually did need one.

POO IN LOO SUPERPOOPER

You are funny mate

so is you sanitation youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU

Go to your designated shitting street

Yeah it also applies to me who is a upper middle class right?

I hear about using ram as disk, but what about using disks as ram? Like using 1 TB SSD as ram?

disks are a lot slower than RAM, and paging to disks has been around for a very long fucking time, mate

RAM disk speed here

lol

You're inhaling poo everyday, so yeah

fastest consumer ssd available here

Then buying some sticks of ram are no trouble right, Mr. Poo?

average mechanical 7200 RPM drive

Do you see now why using disks as RAM is not a very good idea?

2x4gb for 30$ on newegg right now, if you can stand gskills ugly sticks

you literally inhale poo every time you get a whiff of it

I wouldn't say it's not a good idea, when the alternative is running out of memory completely and the OS killing processes to stay alive. Obviously it's not preferable.

Yes, I agree. But it's not something you would set out to have happen on purpose. Ideally your RAM will match your use cases's workload.

Lets say your computer has 2x2 GB ram on it. You're running out of ram during games/workload.

What would be more efficient? Buying 2x8GB 16GB ram for ~$55 to replace the 2x2 GB ram

or

Buying a 240 GB SSD for $55 and then partitioning 40 GB for pagefile and other 200GB?

Would the speed of pagefile noticibly affect your performance compared to 16GB of ram?

we're talking about a place that have human faeces on every single inch of a street.
You wouldn't know fresh air if it hit you, as you bring the stink with you Apu

>UE4 used for babby's first game when there isn't even full proper documentation for the engine.
Ya done goofed sun.

RAM, paging to disk is never preferred.

But the question is, would there be a noticeable performance difference?

Yes you idiot Sup Forums child. Not even the access speed of an ssd will come close to the access speed of ram, any access to pagefile in comparison will be painfully slow.

You're using half your ram and 1 gb of ram

Is this a troll?

Its showing 4GB of GPU + 10 GB of his 16GB ram.

If he only had 8 GB of ram, it would be something like 4 GB of GPU + 6.5GB of RAM (1.5 being windows) and it wouldn't be able to run what he's running.

Problem OP is highlighting is the fact that, there are games that utilize more than 8GB. So the point of having only 8GB system ram limits some games.

WEED

Certain games stutter a little bit with just 8gb of RAM. I'm thinking of upgrading mine because so far I haven't seen any disadvantage to an upgrade.

32GB of RAM here. Running about 26GB usage. Don't know why.
Maybe because I FUCKING CAN

what PS1 game is this? look at all those jaggies

he probably has a massive ramdisk mounted.

I hate when developers think that covering their shitty work with badly optimized texturing and all kinds of postprocessing bullshit (show me a good-looking pic from that game where the sun isn't shitting all over everything in the scene) is OK. I hate when they also think that a memory leak is acceptable performance behavior and adjust their recommended settings to account for its existence instead of fixing it.

I don't know what faggotry is responsible for your pic, OP, but it's one or the other.

the baseline edition of windows 10 only supports up to 128GB of ram.

>When I built my PC nearly 2yrs ago the cost of 16gb was £120 minimum

Horse shit. I built a Z97 system in June 2014 and paid £50.74 for a 16GB kit.

Disgusting unreal engine

>internet arguments won

You are a fucking autistic dude.

>not jamming PCIE SSD's into your ram slots

It's like you actually want to do nothing

No, we use operating systems that manage RAM wisely and make your machine work for YOU, not Microshit.

I have been thinking about doing the for the last week, Do you know if it is possible to import an excisting installation in the vm?

See that ram bar? See that middle part that takes most of the 10g?
Thats prefetch, you can disable it in services.msc
Faggot

To be honest I don't have the slightest idea. Haven't even tried doing this currently, though I'm tempted. The issue is, I need certain software and I cannot be assed to install it several times because I want to experiment a little bit here and there.

um no, and also why would I disable it if it improves performance? Let me guess, you're some retarted Linux faggot

My 8gb kingston fury x was £60. Literally went in logical increments and ordered by price, it was the lowest non-shit tier DDR3 kit I could find.

My friend bough the same kit a few months later and it was like 35, I was pretty annoyed.

Yes, should be easy to do with dd or even just giving your VM access to the actual disk itself. Whenever I dual boot (rare) it's a hybrid system where I can boot on metal or in a VM. Last time I installed Gentoo on metal I was playing Mass Effect while it compiled

Oops, meant hyper x fury.

show us your "Computer" view in explorer, ballsauce swallower

>use GNU/Linux with GNOME
>5 open workapaces
>rendering a 4k wallpaper in blender
>shitposting on Sup Forums and having a few threads opened and prefetched on /gif/ with firefox
>having gimp running with a few patterns opened and the last minimal wallpaper i rendered
>3gb of ram usage
i wasted money on my 8gb of ram

< see here

You have to restart after applying it.. It even says standby when you mouse over it == it will be retasked if a program needs it

Literally there is nothing called that in Windows 10. I assume this is what you want.
Are you literally implying that I said anything about my cached memory being used? The 10 GB being used is actually being used, not cached. There's 17.2 GB cached, with 21.5 GB available. I seriously hope you don't think the only caching Windows does is superfetch

I want to do it quite bad, but the guides are pretty bad for debian..

You said people who can make do with lass than 10gb only use it for facebook, you use 10 and 4 of that is ram drive.
>implying 4gb is enough to install and use for something meningfull
it is not even in use? So what is it for facebook faggot?

Dude, the guide on the debian wiki is pretty good, also every guide works for any distro.

>using a computer for leisure
>browsing Sup Forums on said comp

Off yourself

wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough
>how have i not found this?
Thanks man! Now I just need to google how to give the vm access to 2 physical drives

I'm not even using my computer right now, just posting on facebook.

Oh look, I opened a single game and now even without the ram disk I'm over 8 GB used. 8 simply ain't enough here in the year 2016.

You'll also take note I've only got 2 tabs open in my browser and no vms running whatsoever

I can't believe people will defend having miniscule amounts of ram

fuck off back to fucking tripcunt

Is that doom running in the background?
Also >implying ophra (aka chrome) does not use more ram the more you have
If you use more than 4gig with nothing special running there is something wrong with your pc
That is me runnig a handfull of tabs and some background stuff