Jury rules that Java APIs in Android was fair use

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/05/google-wins-trial-against-oracle-as-jury-finds-android-is-fair-use/
>Following a two-week trial, a jury has found that Google's Android operating system does not infringe Oracle-owned copyrights because its re-implementation of 37 Java APIs is protected by "fair use."The verdict was reached after three days of deliberation.

WE WOOOOOOOOOON

Now for the appeal. The question is whether it goes back up to the shitty Federal Circuit Appeals Court again due to the defunct patent claims, or if the 9th Circuit takes it this time.

Other urls found in this thread:

worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=US&NR=4135240&KC=&FT=E&locale=en_EP
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/05/oracle-java-architect-conscripts-harry-potter-in-making-the-case-against-google
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/05/google-puts-its-expert-on-the-stand-to-combat-oracle-wraps-up-its-case/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>we

>Jewgle vs Jewacle

All is lost. Pajeets and Java will dominate programming for a thousand thousand years.

I'd pop open a bottle of champagne if I had any. It would have been terrible if Oracle had won this shit.

This.
Still hopefully Google can move towards deprecating Java with all the inane shit they have to put up with Oracle.

>2016
>using java

>we

>2010+6
>still not using Java
Ughh

but the people i work for don't use indian coders at $1.50 an hour
why would they use java?

How long before D.C. Court of Appeals, which is basically owned by patent lawyers, overturns this in favor of Oracle?

What if google just stops using Java? Like building it off C?

>2016
>Thinking that I'm Indian even though only 1 in 6 humans is Indian

>patents
>copyrights

Like Android NDK ? Already done.
Also, Android application only use Java during development, the output file are in dalvik format which later compiled to ELF once installed.
Android itself have zero Java.

>WUZ

I really need to read stallman articles on this. Free software notion is easy to get but patents and copyrights are much harder

>Android itself have zero Java.
Android N includes OpenJDK libraries. Older versions use another implementation that offers its own Java libraries.

"Java" isn't just a source language, bytecode format, and one particular JVM implementation.

Dalvik bytecode is undeniably designed to be a target for compilation from Java source for use in a system with JVM-like automatic garbage collection.

Android APIs are heavily designed around Java, which is why JNI is necessary for most system interaction from apps using NDK.

They already did it once
Last time the judge even fucking learned Java so he could make an informed decision

Copyright means they own the code
A patent means they own the concept that the code is implementing
Patents are worse because there's stupid shit like Apple patenting page turning in e-readers or someone who claimed to own music streaming. Usually the patent claims include a bunch of bullshit language to make them seem like complex and original ideas but are really common things that have been done for decades.
Look at this patent for suid and you'll know what I mean

worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=US&NR=4135240&KC=&FT=E&locale=en_EP

One of my former professors spoke at this trial. Kek

But Dalvik VM =/= Java VM.
And we all know jvm are faster than dalvik vm.

As for Java the language, it must complied to Java Language Specification.
Java the platform on the other hand must complied to Java Reference Implementation.
None of it apply to Android.

Was he the one who said under oath that he didn't know open source was a thing? That's pretty hard to believe from a computer science professor.

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/05/oracle-java-architect-conscripts-harry-potter-in-making-the-case-against-google
>The final witness for the day wasone of Oracle's experts,Vanderbilt University professor Douglas Schmidt.
>"At the time you did your analysis for this case, you didn’t believe the lang[uage] was free and open, did you?" Google lawyer Mattias Kamber asked on cross-examination.
>"I didn't know what 'free and open' meant," Schmidt answered.

"We Won"?
Do you work for Google?

not everyone knows that the bullshit RMS pedals is different from the normal definition of 'free and open'.

No,

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/05/google-puts-its-expert-on-the-stand-to-combat-oracle-wraps-up-its-case/

You are not seeing the big picture: BOTH COMPANIES ARE PIECES OF SHIT

>Java Language Specification
>None of it apply to Android
How does that not apply to Android? They use Oracle's own OpenJDK to compile Java source into bytecode (which is converted later by dex). Android definitely relies on the unmodified Java Language Specification for the syntax and constructs used in all of its Java source.

But that's only for the build system and development.

If you want to say Java is not present at all on Android devices, you're definitely wrong. Android uses Java ABI, Java API, Java Native Interface, and Java libraries. It complies with all the runtime implications of the Java Language Specification. Those are parts of Java, neither all of it nor "zero Java"

From the perspective of development tools, you can't simply replace Java with another language (except something specifically designed to replace it, like Scala) without redesigning the Android system APIs or heavily using JNI to interface with Java.

Nope, Android only use Java API on runtime.
If there's Java ABI, you should be able to run *.class or *.jar on Android.

That's why Google wins vs Oracle.
API are not copyright-able.

>API are not copyright-able.
Apart from they literally are, this lawsuit wasn't about the copyrightableness of API's; Google didn't even seek to challenge that this time around.

This was one of the most idiotic things ever. That's the reality of software patents though. Freeware 4 life

This court case was hilarious as fuck.

>API are not copyright-able.
It shouldn't be, but it is, actually. Google's stance in this case is "fair use", not "you can't copyright API".

At least as of N, Android does blatantly include software written by Oracle. Unfortunately for Oracle's lawyers, they can't sue Google for using OpenJDK within its license terms.

>What if google stops using Java? Like building it off C?
In the context of this question, the Android system is undeniably heavily tied to Java. While it's possible to build a new API, offering a fully-native interface to all the Android features, they'd have to either separately maintain code for handling existing Java stuff or break compatibility with all existing apps.

Personally, I hate rooting for google.

But anyone who spends years trying to stick careless users with the ASK toolbar without giving a single fuck, kinda has coming whatever trouble they get.

That's why we need to VOTE FOR BERNIE!

implementating an already established design/api is literally the easiest part of software engineering, can't wait for oracle to take these thieves all the way to the supreme court and win

suck my dick google fanboys

>>Jewgle vs Jewacle

>muh bloated java
This was hasn't been true for a good while.

we lost
They already ruled APIs were copyright
This just made them fair use in android, oracle should've won so Google would stop using Java

Kill it for all

Google was already switching to OpenJDK. The court case was for damages before Google started to switch.