Windows 10 Horror Stories

This thread is for anything you've experienced upgrading to windows 10

I'll start
>Two of my family PCs have upgraded without permission.
The first one's wireless usb card drivers didn't work. There aren't even any comparable drivers avaliable for it. I even tried different chipsets to no avail. Ended up buying a new card even though the card was only 6 months old.

Second one kept crashing for no apparent reason. Booted into safe mode and crashes persisted. Most of the time they were freezes that didn't unfreeze so there was no useful information from event or crash logs. Disabled every driver and it seems to crash less with the on board Graphics driver disabled. Still haven't found a fix.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/53741805
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I built an SSD into the laptop of my grandfather because it was booting 5 minutes and the only bottleneck seemed to be the HDD.
Also installed Win10 because he wanted that.

Win10 needed about 2 minutes to boot from the SSD and I had no clue why, poked around a bit and found out that it was caused by the AMD driver for the extra GPU.
So I uninstalled the driver, rebooted the PC and it took about 15 seconds to boot.

While working on the next probems I notice that the screen flickered for a second and immediately had a bad feeling... turned out Windows 10 re-installed the AMD driver in the background.

End of the story was that I had to uninstall the AMD driver, shut down the PC before Windows could reinstall it and switch off the GPU in the BIOS so Windows couldn't find it anymore.

Do fresh installs have better stability or are most drivers just incompatible?

>Windows 10 Horror Stories
I have none :^) Most people I know either keep updates disabled or just use cracked 7 Enterprise :^) I told them to do so :^)

Don't really have any.Using 7 now though with dual boot Xubuntu

dunno OP

I guess something happened may have been my worse once

I just voluntary upgraded to windows 10
>mfw people think you can escape the botnet

>upgraded to win10
>disabled the metric gathering portions I didn't want to use
> installed all my applications.

Works perfectly. Honestly the best OS release they've had since XP.

here's your 10 rupees

one time i installed windows 10

Nothing horrible happened, but it was a huge let down. I don't feel like I got anything worthwhile for the bother. It irked me that enabling Cortana would make MS privy to everything I did via that search bar, even if it was using it to find files or launch programs, so I never used it. I tried a couple of the apps but they were generally shit. Groove Music is a scam. Edge didn't hold a candle to any proper web browser. Mail glitched out with my GMail IMAP account. At the very best, I gained nothing from the only semi-unique feature of Windows 10.

Updates practically every day. Why so many updates? What's so important as to wake my computer at 3am? I guess it was the mess of crap that took 1.5GB of memory in the background just to run.

It did what little it needed to. It didn't fail me. It just unnerved me that they're so desperate to push this on people when it offers so little. You're driving people mad to give them nothing. Nutella. That can't be a good sign. Thank Gnu for Linux.

>use gnu/linux
>no botnet malware
feelsgoodman.svg

same, don't see why people are bitching when you can just literally block MS ip's in your router settings and never bother with that shit again.

Mite aswell complain about people entering your house when you leave the door open or watching you when you don't close the blinds.

I installed win10, I disabled everything.
There was nothing special about it. I have zero use for all of the extra horse shit they added like Cortana and the Store.

Then it automatically updated, and I realized that it had reset all of my metric settings.

Im not going to have an eternal battle fighting my fucking OS with mandatory updates and telemetry settings, so I went back the windows 7.

1337 xD

A friend of mine just asked me to change his toshiba lap OS from windows 10 to windows 7... I will return it fully loaded with windows 7 this saturday

At least W7 SP1 I hope.

Yeah enjoy getting hacked
win7 sp2 is superior

>be a non-retarded person
>upgrade to windows 10
>everything just works
Never had a problem with it.

my window ten terror storie

>my brother, he considers unsing window ten
>i give brother slap
>he no long consider using window ten

it was close to call

>Upgraded to Win10 on July 27 using force upgrade
>True imaged to an SSD
>no issues ever

Seriously, how do you neckbeards always seem to have issues?

Similar experience to this except was already on an SSD and did it on the 29th.

Only issue ever was about 2 months ago where they messed up xbox one controllers on windows when you would unplug them. Lasted for about 2 days that was it.

>windows 10 horror stories
>upgrade to Windows 10
>everything works fine
>no driver incompatibilities, software works fine
>tweak and customize it to my liking, everything has worked smooth and fast since

I know reading this must horrify Sup Forums

... that's not a bad idea of storing extra cables.

Same. This is where Sup Forums accuses you/me of lying and recommends installing linux.

Most of the real gains are under the hood. Windows 10 is a lean beautiful machine under the metro UI.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/53741805
nuff said

>everything just works

Fuck your mother.

My dad's laptop stealth upgraded to 10. Every "app" takes at least ten seconds to load, even shit like paint, solitaire, and calculator. It's like every program is a flash game loading in a pop-up window over dialup. He doesn't even give a shit because he bought a macbook and only uses the windows POS once a month or so.

>Updated my laptop from W8.1 to Windows 10
>All good.
>Wifi issues
>About to download drivers
>Oh Windows Updated is doing that for me.
>No more wifi issues
>Read about the botnet
>Meh i dual boot linux

6 months pass.

>New pc i have to install windows.
>I dont pirate if is not worth it...windows certainly isnt.
>Oh my uni gave me 3 editions, pro, education and single language volume licence.
>Install W10 Education.
>No problems at all
>Drivers installed and updated on first boot
>Since in using edu edition ask me for a uni mail.
>Automatically adds me to their evil Insider program.
>Dev acces to a bunch of shit
>Hey look, i can debot the thing a bit!
>Those evil jews...

Only major problem ive had is Viper4Windows but the shit is worth it.

Now fucking office 2016 is garbage. Im still using 2003 portable or 2007 master race

>connecting a keyboard via USB causes the computer to reboot
>wi-fi often doesn't work after waking from sleep mode, requiring a reboot
>installed the wrong wi-fi drivers during an automatic update, had to install the correct ones from a USB drive
>disc read speed once dropped to single bytes per second despite being an SSD

Just fuck my operating system up. At least it's not 8, I guess.

>trying to upgrade
>no gwx.exe
>all updates installed, original copy
>google not helping
>literally scour the entirety of the Internet
>none of the answers work
>the search continues for days
>it's 10 days past the release already
>very sad, considering contacting support
>then it shone on me
>reinstalled IE, restarted pc
>instantly everything works
>upgraded right away

Was super scary, thought they wouldn't let me upgrade for some reason.

You can just download the installer from microsoft.com, so did this really happen?

None of the downloaders that were available back then worked. All simply failed to run, same as gwx.exe.
No error code, no nothing. Process instantly terminates once started.

Guess why? These were all IE-based applications.
No IE means it won't even run.

I'm betting it has changed since, but that's how it was on release.

The worst part?
Microsoft didn't even bother mentioning that anywhere, on support pages or otherwise.

An almost horror story that would have cost a lot in terms of downtime restoring backups if i hadn't caught it...

My job means i need to keep a 32bit machine on the internet, and it has to be 32bit because i work with various ancient, proprietary, non-free (in any sense of the word) software that is prone to sperging out on 64bit or requires a live connection or updated or... I work with PLCs okay, they suck, the software really sucks and they are touchy about what they will run on.

I use windows 7 for this because hey, it just werks for the task and when it doesn't i have a 486 laptop running dos 6 as well.

Wake it up one morning because i have an s7 200 to pull the program from and there it fucking is, Ready to Upgrade!

Never so fast has GXW control panel been installed..

I mean, you'd think common sense alone would mean the updater wouldn't try to force a 64bit os upgrade onto a 32bit machine but there it was. I'd already patched the office machines because they were on windows 7 64bit but i left the 32bit machines because... well, again, who fucking forces a 64bit os onto something specifically set up on 32bit? People didnt buy 32bit windows 7 on a whim, i was bought for reasons and ignoring that is the stupidest thing I've seen yet.

I wonder how many 'broken' upgrades are as a result of this idiocy by the microsoft devs?

>someone will defend this

I'll defend it by saying "Isn't there a 32 bit version of W10?"

Windows 8 and 10 are unmitigated disasters. They reek of normie-tier shit OSs that were created because millennials want their computers to be more like their smartphones.

Windows 7 is honestly their best OS since XP. I don't know why they were in such a hurry to shove out this shit when it clearly isn't even fucking ready yet, considering we're a few months into release and there's still constant updates EVERY. FUCKING. DAY.

>ITT
Wincucks on suicide watch

If there is i will apologize to microsoft no wait fuck microsoft in the ear anyway.

Regardless, is there a 32bit windows 10? Was pretty sure i read that 32bit was dropped with windows 8?

Just googled it, yeah there is

Hah no there is holy shit.

Bear in mind though, these are 64bit laptops - the hardware would have taken the 64bit upgrade quite happily. My problem was the £10k in various brands of software that would have bitten the dust in the process. Sure i have backups i can restore from but thats cold comfort standing in the middle of a factory while your toughbook cheerfully tells you 'just a few more moments'.

Manage quite a few business class tablets running windows 7. We use them for MRP, process flow, inventory, time clock, job tracking ect ect. They all have a 64 gig ssd and are rather low on space. Last year they all ran out of space pritty much near the same time and lots of our applications just stopped working, quite often the tablets simply froze.

Turns out it was windows deciding to download a huge ass update for windows 10 without even looking at how much free space there was, I had to sleep at the office for a couple days cleaning it all up. Cost the company six figures (far more than the value of the tablets) because people could not do there jobs and we missed a contractual obligation to deliver a product on time. At least I got the go-ahead to upgrade the ram and ssd's in the tablets. They are all rocking 16 gigs of ram and 1tb ssd's now, still on windows 7 ^_^

those are some noice number m9

anyway, it is not really microsoft faults you work with shitty software. However why not use a VM for that kind of work?

It's the latter. Most common issue with 10 is the sound drivers. Considering Sup Forums wants it for gaymen that's a big no no. Corporate fags are stuck on XP or 7 anyway.

I'd like to, be able to clone the damn licenses while i was at it, but the boss is not keen. As in told me flat out not to do it.

He's the kind of guy who makes backups of drives from old laptops onto the desktop of his current pc, then when he upgrades he backs the old pc up into a folder on the desktop of the new one.

Which is obviously helpful when you need a PCB layout last printed 10 years ago.

I love my job, but the computer situation gives me the major sperg.

Tried learning plc software and found out I'm technologically retarded feels bad man...

I'll share too:
>Updates too often.
>Fingerprint driver that was working in 8.1 stopped working. Had to go to manufacturer's website to fix it (rather than the company that made the laptop)
>had to reinstall ccleaner and a few others
>overall doesn't look better or feel faster
>Had to install classic shell again since the new start menu is the worst one yet

My desktop has a win 8.1 partition that i don't think I'll upgrade. Maybe win 11 will be better.

Frequent crashes
Botnetting
Shit UI
Severe lack of customization options

Windows 10 is genuinely bad.

Liar. Install TempleOS.
I used office 2000 until about 2014 when i got 2013.
It seems like the same shit to me

PLC software makes even smart people feel retarded.

Now imagine how someone who's already not very smart feels when confronted with ladder... I'm a solder and scope guy at heart but I'm being forced to learn PLCs anyway. And boy do i feel dumb staring at those horizontal lines.

STL is at least logical but not all programs let you use it.

Oh yeah, and it tried to update my printer's FIRMWARE every time the microsoft update ran.

It failed every time because the firmware it was trying to install was older than what is currently on the printer.

I do that too, I don't trust anyone, even myself

Feel for you man, strayed EE here, would love to work with controllers again

updates were the only reason I switched from XP/7 to Debian, and now I'm glad I missed out on the whole botnet story.
>can't turn off
>slow startup
>stuff breaking
>reboot at worst possible time in the middle of long running task

Still can't decide whether I'm a control freak or automatic updates are the plague.

A bone chilling story in six words

Bravo.

Getting the stub received bad data out of nowhere when trying to open shortcuts or the task manager, the second time it works fine though.

What the fuck is this shit.

I Upgraded to 10.

10 kept redownloading and reinstalling the nvidia driver. I disabled it and boom. Everything works great.

THE HORROR!

Here's your ten memees

Personal life; none. Friends and family all have 10 and I haven't had any trouble supporting it for them.

Work; 10 deployment is blocked on all company machines but it's a conglomerate environment with independent companies often having their own devices floating around in the environment. Two machines have made the auto-jump and naturally the shitty, ancient, in house software we use in the background of the company because management is cheap, near-sighted, and tech ignorant, refuses to function and we had to roll it back ourselves despite it being a third party machine or let the diagnostics and quality assurance departments flounder.

So guess what we had to spend a couple of hours doing...

Not that bad, but still... Fuck you Microsoft... Really?

Win10 refresh removed TAPI drivers for my answerphone modem setup. Thanks MS!

windows 10 is the best OS microsoft has released yet.

prove me wrong.
protip: you can't

I was planning on upgrading my Win 7 gaymen PC to Win 10, but from everything I am reading shows the Nvidia drivers are shit for Win 10, people in the forums are complaining of massive FPS decreases with the GTX 970 after upgrading, have any of you noticed this too?

but you cant use good software or even play any games. I'm not even a gamer but i do play a game

Come out of the closet.

>good software
like what?

>games
Steam

whatever makes you feel better

1. I'm sorry your family and their computers belong in a retirement home? If the Manufacturer no longer supports your machine [aka Win10 Driver Releases] it's time to upgrade. Or just buy a fucking external wireless adaptor for $20.

2. If your machine's hdd is actually crashing from the extremely lightweight Win10 update that just proves your hardware is ancient.

Protip: Try sandboxing, compatibility mode, or driverV on your wireless win7 drivers, that should solve your problem. Or continue to bitch about how Win10 is some horrible OS, even though it optimizes and improves on every aspect of Win7.

i dont see whats wrong with this freetard. why dont you show me the alternatives before you shittalk the best.

i can't play diablo 3 on steam

inb4 wine. no just no

Shouldn't you be shitting in the street somewhere

no because unlike you i have a day job that allows me to afford a toilet, let alone my own series of real estate investments.

why is it that Sup Forums is the only place on the entire internet or face of the earth where 9/10 people can't figure out an operating system designed for 60 year olds that literally installs itself?

Works on my machine.

You know,all of this talk about street shitting got me curious,so I tried it.Gotta admit,it's pretty liberating.Those curry-squirters are on to something .

What wireless usb card was that? Pic?

I just installed it today... Works better than 7 or 8 tbqh, I just want to get that Halo5 later this year when they give it away for free

Also running a packer sniffer and manually blocking any traffic, I think it'll be okay

I use two computer one that is Windows 7 dedicated to gaymen and the other is Linux Mint for everything else, because wine and VM suck and I can't be bothered to steam.

>Start upgrade process
>Upgrade takes 16+ hours
>Stuck at loading screen, "getting your apps ready" or some bs.
>Get pissed off, hit the hard reset button
>Boots to desktop, but everything is fucked up
>Black background, icons dont work
>whatevs
>Restart and boot from USB with ISO I installed earlier
>Clean install
>Everything is fine now.

A few niggles here and there, but overall W10 has been ok. Not great, not terrible. Just ok.

So how many rupees do you get shilling windows 10 on Sup Forums?

Daily reminder

Alright OP. Lets put this whining to rest.

I'm calling bullshit. Shoot us the machine, or wireless card, or drivers your attempting to incorporate into Windows 10.

99% sure that you're just whining because you somehow can't figure out the easiest OS to date.

Unless your machine's 7+ years old, there shouldn't be a problem. Give us some goddamn specs or GTFO.

I've noticed no perceptible change to how it runs. As for being lean, it uses more RAM at idle. Perhaps with some tweaking I could get it to break even. Not sure how that works.

>Unless your machine's 7+ years old
Not him. My 2015 Lenovos WiFi doesn't work in 10. The legacy driver gets overridden at each boot. Waking up laptop disables wifi until I reboot.
It's a broadcom chip but Linux never gave me any issue

Most distros work ootb but some needs me to install the driver.

And the proper driver does NOT get overridden

He trusted windows 10 and now he is in jail.
Linux ftw
Daily reminder that win 10 scan for pizza and send the party van automatically to your house.

>Windows literally updates to Windows 10 without permission
>Microsoft shilling as hard as they possibly can
>Literal ads embedded without touching the default install
>Proved to spy on you through telemetry

What is wrong with people? Who willingly upgrades to this shit and why?

>inb4 it all can be disabled
Sure disable it, but don't be surprised it comes back on one day. This is the most Backdoored OS to date.

I personally don't give that much of a shit about privacy, but this really is next level. Basically your whole computer is now owned by them.

>i dont see whats wrong with this

>all these 10 users that browse Sup Forums and sooner or later will accidentally get a CP image in their browser cache

>laptop came preinstalled with windows 10
>absolute shit wifi unless I'm in the same room as the router

>go to MS website
>hit download window 10 button
>it verifies i'm allowed to upgrade
>it downloads the shit
>asks me what kind of upgrade I want (full, keep old stuff, etc)
>click my option
>it starts to install
>go eat lunch
>come back
>windows 10 is booted and waiting for me to log in
>go through settings and change another things
>fix start menu
>literally back to feeling like i'm on win 7 with just a different UI for file explorer now

Definitely a hardware problem. The performance of your wireless NIC has NOTHING to do with Windows 10.

10 rupees have been deposited into your account.

Then why bother?

If your IQ falls into ANY of those categories you'll essentially be working at WalMart for the rest of your life.

Protip: Those sysadmins that make 100k+ know how to use both windows and Linux in an enterprise environment. Shilling trolls work at Fry's and spend their spare time bitching instead of working.

>Daily reminder that win 10 scan for pizza and send the party van automatically to your house.
Isn't that just a OneDrive thing?

If you sak me the real privacy issue with 10 and 8.1 is OneDrive.

I'm almost positive it's not the hardware, other people online have been having the same problems

Struck a nerve didn't I?

If you don't give a shit about security, performance, or virtualization, stick with windows XP and have your identity sold to someone in India.

Fucks sake man, if all you noticed was the UI change you have serious mental issues.