/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

watchbase.com/
chrono24.com/
clockmaker.com.au/diy_seiko_7s26/
youtube.com/watch?v=nx9MeRCFpjQ
ceasuridemana.ro/vand-superb-ceas-mecanic-komandirskie-parasutisti_a240768.html
ceasuridemana.ro/vand-superb-ceas-komandirskie-model-tanchisti_a242076.html
ceasuridemana.ro/vand-superb-ceas-vostok-komandirskie-model-parasutisti_a242226.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Those Benrus/Omegas being sold via eBay from Guyana are pretty obviously being used for money laundering imo, the same guy has all kinds of preposterous items listed at such values. Clearly criminal associates of the 100% authentic Nigerian Prince variety are bidding on these items which have the same pictures, paying him, and he's then forwarding the money on their behalf

Have some interesting links I found during my search.

watchbase.com/
chrono24.com/

Pains me to see Orient make things like that. I know they can and do make good stuff, so why do this

As it turns out, I paid too much. I originally won the auction for a little over 28,000 yen or $330 Canadabux, but then Buyee inexplicably charged me in British Pounds, I had to pay their fees, I had to pay shipping, and then I got keked by Canadian customs. So in the end I'm into it for a lot more than I originally anticipated. Still a good deal compared to the ~$650 you'd be paying on eBay, but not a screaming bargain by any stretch.

I also have:
>5740C
>6106
>0703
>7546
>44A

Although the 6106 is not exactly "JDM". I'm going for a 52xx next.

I think that's the first Orient Chrono I've seen.
But god damned, that is one god ugly dial.

It's not a chrono. It's made to look like one. a fake chrono

I prefer digital watches.

They all look so fucking tacky though. what the fuck?

>terrorist
>tacky
jokes.

Hell no, the classic casios are one of the only good looking ones.

Nothing classier than the old casios.

Well that's disappointing.

Because you stopped posting helpful Orient infographics and instead shitpost.

I'm sure my monthly Orient images, and the discontinuation of them, had no effect on Orient's decision to make that watch.

I bet you were one of the people who accused me of shitting up the threads with them anyway.

>Atomic

>Solar

>24 hour clock

>Signal reception / automatic time correction

>Resistant to vibration

>Resistant to high centrifugal force

YES

i want to fuck that bunny

>literally advertised to fedoras

atomic and solar, an improvement over the regular 5600; 5600 square style is less of an eyesore and not as fuckhuge as the 6900/other styles which have been widely adopted by niggers and mall ninjas.

Yes, clearly this is much better.

Oh wait...

Seconds can go offf sync sometimes.

Buttons are not easily accessible. Light button is hard to press with gloves.

Sides of the casing are not screwed, so they end up widening and leaving a gaping hole on both sides you have to superglue.

I'd say the 5000 1JF is objectively better

>Sides of the casing are not screwed, so they end up widening and leaving a gaping hole on both sides you have to superglue.

i didn't know about this

you mean like around the circled areas? (see pic)

yep, that spot right there.

how does the 5000-1jf avoid this problem? i can't see any screws on the side to remedy it, the sides look the same to me

No, on the back, these parts of the bezel separate from the main body.

It's apparently no issue but I dont like it, I superglued the sides on my 5610

ah i see

i see the 5000 has a screwback also which is another improvement

What's the best cheap analog that's not the Timex weekender?

Casio popewatch

Ardbeg.
That's my collection posted earlier
Oh look i can judge people using shit i don't know.
Couldn't take that furniture to my hut up to the top of a mountain so now the alcohol all lives on the floor. Haven't had the furniture in about 2 years

Why do you feed the troll?

>implying he is not a troll too

What are your thoughts on NIXON?

cost me $80 and is damn durable. Two years of daily use without so much as a scratch, and I work construction.

What colour watch band should i get for this?
I was think a light brown leather one.

Something that doesn't look like a toy, thanks.

Fuk you ;.;
Ive never actually seen a hipster wear one of these
They all just wear fitbits and bracelets

Thousands of dollars is a a lot to spend on a troll.

Resin doesnt expand though
Not a single long term review I've read of the 5610 mentions this

You haven't been looking very hard

I'm in manhattan every fucking day, surrounded by faggots
I know what these degenerayes wear on their wrists, and it's not a databank

wtf 2 second hands

Well, newbie, that's what we call a split second chronograph

Wakey wakey eggs and bakey!

I've lived in NY for 5 years now, and almost everyday I see some faglord hipster wearing a digital casio "ironically" or whatever. You're just not paying attention.

Hipters ruined it and now I hate even the idea of wearing a databank.

Well even if that's the case, if you like it wear it.
Thats why I wear mine and it's one of my favorite watches ever since the fucking 2nd grade. I won't let some faggots ruin that for me.

In other news I got a D in orgo II. I need a C so I'll be forced to retake another semester of hell in this literal autist class.
Yet I feel nothing, I think I already internalized that I wasn't gonna get the grade I needed.
My grades were otherwise good though so I'm thinking of getting these.
What do you guys think? The Databank will be my daily wearer

Oh and this

Any decent gunmetal black watches?

SGW user finally appears. How do you like that watch m8? It seems to have really good specs for the price.

>rationalizing your grade and buying anyway

i knew you would do this

i like the ae1200 best but i would strongly recommend the resin version, i bought the bracelet version last year and it didn't take long before the "steel" started chipping away, it's just painted resin. the actual bracelet is extremely flimsy and terrible as well.

I worked my ass off for that class, but I guess I wasn't autistic enough to memorize fucking hexagons and arrows
I don't drink, don't have any actual friends and spend my days going to school and shit posting
My hobbies are the only thing that are there for me, as sad as that sounds. I'll just move on and retake a class with a professor thats less of a fucking cock sucker.
Anyway, I know it's painted resin.
What do you mean by flimsy? Did it break on you? I hear they were pretty comfy

Its well built, the compass and thermometer are spot on even with the spring temperature deviations (30 C in the sun 18 in the shade) and even though its a bit colourful with the dark blue/grey/orange combo, its still not gaudy. Would like to go diving with it because it has mineral glass protection and 20 bar WR.

Jesus fuck whats with the photo rotation fucking shitty online mongolian scribbling board

relax I'm just breaking balls

the bracelet feels really cheap and hollow, a lot of rattling when your wrist moves. dropped it a few times its like there are bent links now if that makes sense, the clasp area was bent too so you have to sort of bend it back to close the clasp and it's prone to fly open on you. also scuffs ridiculously easily as well.

sort of hard to see in the pic but you can see it doesn't sit flush at rest

After lurking on the wt threads for some time, I want to start a hobby of repairing watches themselves. Do any of you have any knowledge/ways to start off when it comes to this? If so, I'd fully appreciate your input.

>package delivered at post office
>cant be picked up before 13:00
rip

dont cheap out on tools, buy a bunch of the same russian movements and dig up some ebooks about watchmaking

I see
Looks like I'll go with resin for that and get the second from the left in steel later on (It'll be my interview watch), along with a nice bracelet for the pulsar.
I'll probably put the lad weather on a NATO. Really going full weeb with that.
And don't worry about it, I'm just salty as fuck. I leave home at 7am just so I wouldn't be late for lab, because the fucker locks you out if you're even a minute late and the MTA is awful.
Look into lad weather. It's a triple sensor for the same price, isn't as big as most pro treks and it's weeb approved

The movement in this guide is dirt cheap and very easy to find, it has some advice on buying tools, but I think you should buy some cheap ones first. I have an old mechanical seiko that I will give you for a beer ($3, just pay shipping) it's a Indian piece of shit but the movement would be fine to practice on that is why I bought it, but I don't find the time these days

clockmaker.com.au/diy_seiko_7s26/

hope you like it

I like it enough except for the bracelet that ill prob get a resin one myself soon

That would be nice, but as for shipping money, all I have is a code for $5 on Amazon if you want... or a steam game

what the fuck is happening to archie? HE'S GONNA REVIEW SHITTERS NOW!

youtube.com/watch?v=nx9MeRCFpjQ

I gave it a thought, I live in kangaroo land. So shipping from here would be expensive, you'd be better off buying your own, I would even give it to you for free. But shipping is a joke. Seiko 5 have the movement from the guide if you wanted to get your own

>trying to jew out on $3 shipping
>being this cheap

you donate to him and he will review any watch favorably, see his glowing review of the tag heuer carrera for example.

it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who has watched any of his videos, he regularly takes a great deal of time out to beg for money in exchange for putting your name on his refrigerator in the background.

his good taste in watches aside, the man really is a small step up from a street walking whore

52XX cals area definitely worth it, though the other ones i recommended are also pretty good.

One thing about the 5206 cal is either pay a lil more cheaply or modify it with the 5216's strengthened day/date parts.

I also live in kangaroo land.
Whilst not the op I am curious about horology and the 7s26, can i take you up on the same deal?

i never asked for these feels

if it gives you feels - it's probably a scam

that isn't me, i was just randomly browsing and saw it

do you really think disabled seniors in wheelchairs browse Sup Forums

meant to address that to

Thanks
I'll stick to Casio.

Even if it is, you gotta give it to the fucker for invoking feels. Now I have the mental picture of an old, frail man being roused by from a dream about younger, happier times by some shitty g-shock, waking up to find himself back in his dark and droll bedroom, stuck with the same limitations he had before going to sleep.

>do you really think disabled seniors in wheelchairs browse Sup Forums
Well it's not a big change from mentally disabled on the bed so it's possible.

I just got an e-mail. Will receive these 3 watches on monday.

ceasuridemana.ro/vand-superb-ceas-vostok-komandirskie-model-parasutisti_a242226.html

What do you think /biz ?

Well, price wise averaging per piece you paid about as much as i did for my fleamarket find.

First one is a transitional post soviet pieces, and it's alright overall. Second is a nice common soviet tank Dirskie.

3rd one is interesting, because it's a very rare dial paratrooper dial with Zakaz inscription. But the hands are in very poor shape.

fuck 2
marry 1
kill 3

I just got an e-mail. Will receive these 3 watches on monday.

What do you think /g ?

It does, or at least it loosens up.

It's not very noticeable and I doubt reviewers wear what they review for long periods of time.

It happens with heat and sweat etc.... for long periods of time. I've had and worn my 5610 for about three years.

>Being ProTrek scum

>Not praising the G

go away

Are Skagen watches any good?

NO

Overpriced chinkshit.

In that case what eould you suggest for a sub $150 minimalist watch

Orient Bambino (V1 or V3) or Orient Symphony.

Probably at least another 20~ options in the used/vintage range. Mostly Seiko salarymen models.

Orients all seem to look the same to me, and i already have one
I found the automatic feature to lose 2+ seconds daily even with daily wear

First analog G-shock I don't hate

2 seconds per day is very good.

If you're so anal about accuracy you might as well get one of these ugly radio controlled Gshocks.

I love the sound of Hi-Beat in the morning

I just prefer quartz movement, id be fine with losing time on an automstic if the hand could be stopped to correct it but in mine it cant be unless i let the power drain.

So buy a watch that has hacking.

Mind suggesting one? Im not experienced with automatics so i dont know what good options are for

Nope
Cute

SRP703 or SRP701 come to mind.

Am I a wristlet?

maybe a vintage junghans?

idk if they made any minimalist quartz watches though

>Orient Bambino (V3)

too bad about the awful, ugly hour and minute hands. how much of a hassle would it be to change them?

A lot.

Since you would need to source a set of hands that will fit on that movement.

Pretty sure they made quite a few quartz and electrical watches.

And also a quartz Max Bill.