/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread - this is what you get when you make me do the thread Edition

Previously on: boards.Sup Forums.org/g/thread/54755232/ →

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org/

What's the best hosts file to use on Linux to block ads?

Is there a distro in which the DPI scaling isn't dogshit and has thumbnails in the file picker?

A little known distro called Ubuntu does that

If you mean a thumbnail in gallery view, then no, I don't know why Linux is so shit at that but that's life

God.. This was my fetish as a teenager. Thanks for the memories, OP!

What's the DPI scaling like in ubuntu? If mint's DPI scaling is garbage I can't imagine something upstream being better

It's fine.

Pic not related right?

R O C K H A R D

why would you want to use HiDPI on 1440p? is your monitor 19 inches?

Impregnation is the only way I walk away from a lewd body like that.

sauce pls

it must be that 24" dell monitor, that or he sits way too far from the screen, who knows

sorry op, you missed the other thread but thanks for making the thread.
here's a link to the main thread

I should not be bonering on Sup Forums

Oh please. You bonered as soon as user started trash talking the DPI handling.

I didn't miss it you dip, look at the post number, I made this thread way before that fucklechuck.

oops, i didn't read the hour. sorry

wew lad

[Senor Daietsu] Kyonyuu Jukubo no Abunai Kaikan [English] [mrinku] [Decensored] [Digital]

Well, I'm free and I've been using UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems for about ten years now, so if anyone has any issues I'd be glad to help.

that's nice, what did you start with?
most people are in the other thread, maybe it would be good to go there.

Ubuntu and then quickly moved to Debian, then Red Hat for school and then tinkered with FreeBSD, Slackware and Arch until I finally settled with hardened Gentoo.

hi Sup Forums, i want to install a linux distro on a different partition, which one would you recommend? i was thinking of mint.

i will mainly use it to learn programming/get used with it eventually, windows has gone shit

Don't dual boot.

Either install Linux in a VM (I'd recommend Ubuntu if you have the space and hardware, otherwise Xubuntu) or format your drive and install Ubuntu.

Unless you really want to keep Winshits around for gaymes, you should go full Linux for about 3 months and just look for replacements for your Winshit stuff because there always will be replacements.

If you want to duel boot then I recommend Debian
Fuck Ubuntu. If he wants to duel boot then let him. That's what I did.

mint is a good beginner distro imo, i started with it myself. but it has a few issues, debian is a bit harder but it could be better for you in the long run. another choice is ubuntu, but it has the same problems mint has.
dual booting is okay but make sure to do as said and search for replacement programs instead of using the same things, this will make you more independent in a few ways. the installgentoo wiki has good articles on recommended software and the OP will tell you more.
please go to for more, one of the threads needs to die otherwise mods might be pissed.

I fap to that yesterday.

congrats

Recently i love to stick a finger in my anus

Good. Soon you'll put bigger and after that you'll start to fap to big hard cocks.

Impossible, I support Trump

What happened to image?

degeneracy was taken care of late so this thread is rightfully dead.

is it?

I'm glad lesbos are considered degenerate as well, sick of people constantly acting like they're anything great.

Can someone recommend a cheap (

ThinkPad

Hello Sup Forums do not usually come here. I am having trouble booting linux(Debian) from a flashdrive onto my windows 8.1 laptop. I have tried going through the bios and booting it straight through the usb. Everytime it still boots to 8.1 did i do something wrong in the process of downloading the OS? Any advice on how to overcome this?

I have low opinion about Windows GNU/Linux.

Go to your bios, disable secure boot, select flash drive first in boot queue

Guys do you use wayland instead deprecated xorg?

Nope. I don't really have a problem with xorg as long as it's on a localhost client instead of a server. Plus I think Wayland still lacks some support.

Can /fglt/ recommend me a cheap as fuck laptop to use for linux and windows dual booting?

Thinkpad (not new obviously)

How about one that doesn't weigh as much as a family car? or as thick as shit.

I move around a lot. I can sacrifice power for portability.

Any small notebook, as cheap as possible.