/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", lightweight
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

ThinkPad specs lookup:
tp.krelay.de/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-Laptop-14-inch-screen-4GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-Core-i5-2-5ghz-USED-/152091234424?hash=item2369581078:g:G98AAOSw5L9XEB6r
ebay.com/itm/121979765156
ebay.com/itm/222123577820
ebay.com/itm/162082402407?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#cvip_desc
ebay.com/itm/371633080864
youtube.com/watch?v=96SrWO5Na54
notebooks.mercadolivre.com.br/lenovo/thinkpad/notebook-thinkpad_Desde_145_OrderId_PRICE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-Laptop-14-inch-screen-4GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-Core-i5-2-5ghz-USED-/152091234424?hash=item2369581078:g:G98AAOSw5L9XEB6r

cop or na? In the market for a new ThinkPad since my old x220 bit the dust.

I should add I have 8GB of ram and an SSD ready for it.

I'd go for it, that's a fair price

I fancy that a lot of us here consider ourselves experts at assessing specs and condition from blurry ebay photos.

Anyone want to take a stab at what resolution this is? It's certainly flexview, but I'm not confident to say more than that. OS appears to be Vi$ta if you're trying to judge based on the taskbar.

Eh, I am nitpicking the condition.

Its Ok.

Ugly TrackPad
>ebay.com/itm/121979765156

ebay.com/itm/222123577820

Too damn blurry, ask for the MTM number
R60's had SXGA non IPS panels

do i need to disable computrace or the other thinkpad settings in the bios?

right now it says that computrace is enabled but isnt activated.

should i disable it or is it fine to leave it alone?

Comparing to my own UXGA T601F, it looks like it could be one. Good find if the seller doesn't want a million dollars for it.

yeah I noticed the condition of the screen is pretty bad. I'll pass on it. Is there a way to replace the trackpad? I have replacement keyboards from my x220's but no pads.

Oftentimes used palmrests cost just slightly more or the same as a trackpad.
Unless the trackpad is physically broken, it has a removable sticker IIRC.

Not so sure on Ivy bridge machines and onward, i forget.

good to know. thanks!

Question: I just got my X220, installing debian and I it prompted me that there's some proprietary software on my that debian can't install. What could be causing this?How do I fix it? Is it even worth fixing?

I would assume it's the wireless drivers. Pretty important, I'd say. Search the filename it gives you and you'll find the package you need.

I apologize, this is my first time ever using Linux and debian never mentioned any file name in the graphical install.

Also, does anyone here use Libreboot?

Ah, I never use graphical install when I have the option not to. You'll have to find out just what wireless card you've got and then try to find the corresponding wireless driver.

As for libreboot, it won't work on any Thinkpads after the X200 or T400. Blame Intel for putting botnets in their later processors.

Anyone try the Latitude 5470 yet?
comparing that to a T460/T460s. Like the thinkpads, but the screen on the latitude seems brighter than the T460.

So, what was the last truly great no-compromises Thinkpad?

T60 with 4:3 IPS or something IBM?

If Libreboot doesn't work, is it the same for coreboot?And is coreboot even free?

Coreboot includes proprietary blobs for hardware compatibility. Libreboot is a fully free Coreboot distribution, that simplifies instillation and strips out the blobs, the cost of that is that you can count the devices it supports on your hands.

So there's no possible way to liberate my BIOS?

Not on an X220.
Intel processors made after 2008 are irreparably compromised, there's nothing you can do about backdoors built into the CPU.
If you want a fully Free machine your option are another CPU architecture or 10 year old hardware.

Let's say I do know what file I needed, how do go about fixing this error at installation?

T601F is GOAT.
>strong Penryn CPU
>8GB RAM
>SATA II
>Advanced Dock
>1600x1200 IPS
>steel backplate keyboard
>3-5 hours of battery life
IBM's Thinkpads were great, but they're too old at this point to be good for much more than shitposting, sadly. T601F hits the best balance of specs and quality.

go away

rude

Odds your chinkpad is stolen, in theory you can be tracked through Conputrace, it's better to disable it

Are lenovo mice any good?

I got a logitech g100s on sale a few months ago but the fucker died out after a month.

I just need something that won't break.

>Sacrificing Libreboot for an unnecessary amount of RAM.

>no-compromises thinkpad
>has to compromise on a usable amount of RAM for muh freedoms

Liberty is worth any cost.

i was wondering which of the thinkpads by ibm is the most powerful and all around best, thinking about running linux on it because xp possibly is slower,

used one at school. It was a little eccentric, I didn't like it.

Who /t43/ here?

Where'd you get this picture of me?

How much for a X250 or a T450?

If I'm going to install Linux on my X220t what should I get that's got good tablet/touch support? I've never bothered to use tablet stuff on Linux before so I don't know what the offerings there are like.

All right guys, question.
I got the option to get a X240 with a 1080p IPS display, but I think 12'' are a little small for me since I'm gonna use it on a daily basis.

The other option would be to go for a T4** with a 1600x900 TN display, but all the reviews I read suggest I'll get eye cancer when I go for this, and IPS T4** are too expensive.

Is there a T4** with an IPS panel that I'm not aware of, is the TN panel not that bad actually, or should I get the X240?

hey /tpg/
can someone give me some run downs of less apparent pros/cons of w520 vs w530 in the long run?

specifically i wamted to know if there is significant battery life difference(and which is better) and if, in your guys' opinions, the upgrade from 2nd gen quad core i series to 3rd gen core i series is worth the big price jump. i asked in the last thread and got a little butthurt about someone telling me to get an x series but i have good reason to get a powerful 15.4" laptop. this is really just a question of if 3rd gen is worth it.

Has anyone had success with a refurbished X220 from Newegg?

Don't forget backdoors built into yout hard drives

i had 2 420s i've been looking to get rid of, i actually sold one to another board member. looks like he received it and left positive feedback too

you want the other one? same stats

Don't forget back doors built into your back doors.

>Is there a T4** with an IPS panel that I'm not aware of
A modified T420s with a 1080p IPS screen

>is the TN panel not that bad actually, or should I get the X240?
It's probably worse than what you expect it to be (it was for me). So if this is truly bothering but you don't want to pick up a screwdriver; get the X240
But if you want a better PC (assuming you're not looking for the most battery life, but purely how comfy your machine is) get the modded T420s.
The **40 series is probably the most hated one in /tpg/

>another board member
hey that's me! yes i got it today, quite happy. thanks again!!!!!

Hey /tpg/, first time poster here so go easy on me! I just purchased a genty used ThinkPad (X140 I think) from my college's surplus sale for $120.

What are some upgrade options I can look into to get the most out of this little thing? It has an AMD A4-5000 processor, which is probably a little crappier than what you guys are used to. It's also running Windows 7.

Thanks in advance! I'm in love with it so far, it feels really sturdy.

good stuff, sorry i didn't get to ship it out till end of the week

I'm planning to get one for University so max battery life is a point of interest.
Right now I'm using a consumer 15'' Laptop with a beautiful 1080p IPS screen, but the keyboard, build quality, touch pad and battery life sucks which is far from ideal.
Guess I'll go with the small X240 then.

all good, got here quick enough for me

I forgot to mention that it has 4GB of RAM - how much does it support in total? I can't seem to find any information online. Maybe 8GB or 16GB? That'll probably be my first upgrade.

Most powerful would probably be some sort of T61p frankenpad but "best" is subjective so I can't really answer that

Can X220 with i5-2520M play bluray remuxes comfortably?

What's that red "button" on the side?
The tip of the pen?

Reminder.

Reminder that women are cancer, even if they appear 'nerdy'.

ebay.com/itm/162082402407?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#cvip_desc
How this can be anything more than blatant e-welfare is beyond me.

fuck off back to 8ch

Latitude 5470 is a decent machine.

possibly. how is the condition

in market for an i7 T420.

ebay.com/itm/371633080864

I have RAM, SSD, and a keyboard replacement from my x200t. Would you do it?

Question: I'm installing my network drivers on my machine and it prompted me the option to choose one of the network interfaces during the installation. One is:

eth0: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Netowrk Connection

and the other

wlan0: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] (wireless)

What I'm trying to accomplish is get my wireless drivers working, I/m guessing I go for the second one, but still I'll like someone else insight on this as this is my first time.

well, are you plugging it in to a wired network, or are you using wireless? This is just for 'where to get packages during initial installation'.

Nevermind, I should really trust myself.

eth are rj45 ethernet ports.
wlan are wireless adaptors.
That's an old standard though, the new ones are a lot more cryptic, hence why some distros stuck with the way things were.

So yes, pick the second.

Anyone knows where to buy genuine trackpoint caps for a decent price?
I bought some chinese one off of ebay, and it was so soft and flimsy that I ended up using my old beaten down trackpoint cap.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help. But I don't want to sound too needy, but when configuring the network, it doesn't want to connect to anything, my passphrase is correct, but it fails connect. Could this be an issue with my router or the driver?

Anyone have some tips on setting up TLP? When I bring my T420s out of sleep the trackpad doesn't work until I do an alt-f2 and r. Only started doing this after installing TLP.

I'm thinking about getting a T520 Core i5 2520 with a 1600x900 TN display for everyday use.
Good idea or not?

It's a fine choice, but why settle for 1600x900 when you can have 1080p?

1600x900 is much cheaper plus I read a review about the 1600x900 display saying it has a very good contrast and illumination for a thinkpad TN panel.
The review didn't say anything about the 1080p display so I figured I'd just go with what I know.

Hello, I JUST got a new thinkpad X1 carbon (4th gen)

What GNU/Linux distribution would you recommend?

If you have this model, have you experienced any hardware problems?

Any general suggestions?

Thanks.

>Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help. But I don't want to sound too needy, but when configuring the network, it doesn't want to connect to anything, my passphrase is correct, but it fails connect. Could this be an issue with my router or the driver?
The Intel drivers will reject connections to wireless access points with broken beacon or authentication. A ton of older access points that implemented draft standards will have this problem.

>broken beacon or authentication
What do you mean by this?
And is there a way to fix it?

Is running your fan with 3000ish rpm at all times damaging it ? (And by all time I mean as long as it's on, and if needs to exceed that speed it will, but never will fall under)

>When Mum and Dad don't give you enough cash to buy more ThinkPads

youtube.com/watch?v=96SrWO5Na54

With MPC-HC or some video player using HW acceleration, yes.
CPU decoding is an easy way to drain your battery.

i just arranged to meet a guy selling a w520 for $300.

it has:
i7-2820qm
500gb hard drive
1600x900 hd+
quadro k2000
7 hours supposedly on battery

Should i go through with it or back out now? We're arranged to meet tomorrow.

I need your help /tpg/, I want to buy a cheap ThinkPad to install a GNU/Linux distro and learn it, as my main notebook is used for work etc, but the thing is, I'm from Brazil and I have a limited amount of models to buy, basically those are all my options, also I don't want to spend more than R$500 (~$140).

notebooks.mercadolivre.com.br/lenovo/thinkpad/notebook-thinkpad_Desde_145_OrderId_PRICE
(please scroll a bit because the first results are HDDs)

That's a beast of a laptop and the $300 is appropriate, stay safe, user.

i carry a knife and my old t400 for self defense (seriously, beat my old roommate with it when he tried to steal my cash).

thanks. looking forward to the screen+performance upgrade but didn't want to take a bad deal.

>have an ideapad p500
>mouse buttons are a part of the touchpad
>can't do any precise clicking because when I do try to right click something, my finger causes the cursor to move

>tfw ive always wanted a bitch beating thinkpad

What thinkpad has the strongest frame?

Save an additional R$150 and buy a T410 with an i5

Probably the old IBM T4x series

How much are my two x60 tablet SXGA+'s each worth?

i'd buy one off you for about $60 if it's in good condition so i guess around $100-$120

I barely use my laptop (t61) anymore since I finished school, mostly just browsing and light programming on it on weekends. I've gotten used to faster computer and would like to upgrade. Would a x220 worth it ? Will I hate going from 14" to 12" ? I was also looking at the t440 but haven't found real good critics on it. I would want to buy something high end but I know I wont use my laptop at home or work, so its not worth.

Should I buy a T60 with T2500, 2GB DDR2 and 60GB HDD for $70?

I'd try to go penryn for that much, but T660 is a nice oldie and at $70, it's probably in good condition.

>T660
T60*

I'd like to buy a newer thinkpad, x230, t440 or t520+ and was wondering if going for the i7 is worth it or stick with usual i5 ?

Go with an i7 if possible but the improvement over the i5 is not huge

x230
8 giga RAM
240 gb SSD
i7 3500 something
for 555$
Keep in mind im from Europe so thinkpads cost more.

Not too shabby, the ones that we get for super cheap usually need SSD and RAM upgrades, but you're already set with that unless you want 16GB for some reason.

I am thinking about getting a P70 for my next workstation (I have to be on the go). Is that a good buy /tpg/????

Its pretty big. Why not a P50?

That's a badass laptop

Just make sure and do yourself a favor and get the 1080p panel after you get it, you should be able to get one for less than $100

W520s are fairly rare so its not worth waiting to find one with the FHD panel already

It's shit. The FHD panel is way better and not just in resolution, but in viewing angle, contrast, and color space too

Any advise on the x series? My cheap 5 year old acer literally fell apart today. Im not used to large computers.

X220, X230 if you don't mind the 6-row keyboard

I bought a 420 as my dedicated Linux programming box. Using Antergos with Cinnamon for the latest and greatest. Works really well

Does anyone know how to switch of the the beeping sound with the backspace when you can't go back etc.?

I just purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude 14 Rugged for $529 which included a 3 years factory warranty that ends 05/19/2019.
Specs
i3-4030
8gbs
256 SSD
What do you guys think?