GIF or JIF?

I cannot believe how strong each argument is for each side, but those who say "GIF" like to rub in how "correct" they are. I personally don't think there is a "correct" way to say it, but I grew up with JIF and that's what the creator intended it to be. Think of words like Giraffe or Ginger, it makes sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:List_of_English_words_where_G_is_pronounced_exceptionally#Hard_.E2.80.9C.E2.80.98g.E2.80.9D_where_soft_.E2.80.9C.E2.80.98g.E2.80.9D_expected
b.1339.cf/sywgqmv.htm
strawpoll.me/10329872
vocaroo.com/i/s19WIqshqK0l
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:List_of_English_words_where_G_is_pronounced_exceptionally
english.glendale.cc.ca.us/phonics.rules.html
phonicsontheweb.com/c-g-spelling.php
read-phonics.com/phonics-awareness.html
english.glendale.cc.ca.us/phonics.split.html
youtube.com/watch?v=CndInjuB8bA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The creator says it's "Jiff".

So it's Jiff. It's that simple.

the creator should have called it jif then not gif

I agree with you Op. But the little shits think they're right.

Also
>PNG
Pronounced ping
>A-PNG
>a-ping

>inb4 comments about my trip

Well the creator is a retard then

And if the creator pronounced gif as nigger would be nigger?

Just because the fucking creator is terrible at English doesn't mean we all need to suffer.

How do you pronounce giraffe?
Exactly

jiraffe apparently

Well, yeah.

If he says his product his called Nigger then we should pronounce it as Nigger, not Nogger.

Established convention always wins. Hard-G GIF > Soft-G GIF.

How do you pronounce gift?
More exactly.

How do you pronounce he word "gist"?
More more exactly

swing and a miss

...That's less exactly.

bet you pronounce graphics as jraphics

So like NASA for instance,
National Aeronautics and Space Administration

So pronounce it as
N-EH-S-A?

I bet you retards pronounce SQL as Es-Q-El

weak argument
I hate when people bring up "well the g means graphical" shut the fuck up we're talking about the abbreviation

Squeal

Tell me, how do you pronounce Geoffrey?

kek, I say SEQUEL

>I bet you retards pronounce SQL as Es-Q-El

Doesn't change a thing!

>moving_goal_posts.avi

geo-fray

>Americuck alphabet is so shit morons can't even agree on how to spell a single letter

Boipuccis

It's a soft G, pronounced like Jeffery

I'll take "things that don't matter for $500, Alex."

we're pronouncing not spelling

What dude?

Literally everywhere they say geo/gi (like the clothing article)-oh-fray

unless america is autistic, that must be b8

Yes, for soft, French words. That's basically what the pronunciation difference is, Romance words vs Germanic words, eg. Geoffrey ultimately comes from the German Gottfried.

At our core, English is a Germanic language, and the closest word to 'gif' is 'gift'.

French words are just loan-words, and we should really return them, the fine's going to be retarded.

Just a second ago i'd have said that i'd go with 'jiff' because of being unable to recall any words starting with 'g' followed by 'i' that'd be pronounced as 'ji', but then i've found a few, so...

I'd go with 'gif' because of 'gift', simple as that.

well considering my entire life I said JIF, it's something you can't change because cucks on the internet are saying the "correct" way to pronounce a fucking acronym

The creator isn't a retard for saying jif. There are hard and soft G's and there are front vowels and back vowels. English front vowels are i, e, y and English back vowels are a, o, u. Hard G's are used when the second letter is a back vowel and soft G's are used when the second letter is a front vowels.

You guys are probably going to point out exceptions like girl.
According to this Wiki page:
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:List_of_English_words_where_G_is_pronounced_exceptionally#Hard_.E2.80.9C.E2.80.98g.E2.80.9D_where_soft_.E2.80.9C.E2.80.98g.E2.80.9D_expected
There appears to less than 100 exceptions. With about 20,000 words in the English language beginning with g, those exceptions are extremely small.

Grammatically jif is correct, but personally I think both pronunciations should be accepted.

thanks user

>Create dragon dildo
>Call it dragon dildo
>Thousands of faggots that use my dragon dildo argue that it's called a gragon gildo instead

The guy that made it probably knows how to say it desu. Elsewise you're an 'ackshually" tier dork.

>g stand for graphic. says it with a j for jew
fuckin cucks. and whoever says ping is also a faggot.

>There appears to less than 100 exceptions. With about 20,000 words in the English language beginning with g, those exceptions are extremely small.
Only a teeny tiny proportion of those 20,000 words would be in common use. I'd wager ('wagger') that the proportion of those hundred is much, much higher. I'd also wager that a lot of those unexpectedly hard g words are Germanic in origin, because soft g vs hard g is a feature of, and comes from Romance languages.

>At our core, English is a Germanic language

more like a bastard hybrid of welsh grammar blended with germanic and tons of latin words thrown in

>welsh grammar
'no.'

Grammar is Germanic.

In english "Gif" would be pronounced "Jif" whereas "Giff" would be pronounced as, well, "Giff"

FILTER.ALL.TRIPFAGS.

>JPEG
>Joint Photographic Experts Group

>JFEG

It's soft G, cucks.

this

Wait do people honestly say ping when referring to PNGs?
I thought everybody just said PEE EN GEE. Ping sounds retarded.

>>PNG
>Pronounced ping
What? Who says "ping"? It's pronounced P-N-G.

>doesn't change a thing

Global Positioning System

Gee Pee Ess

There is no precedent that says abbreviations are supposed to be pronounced like the letters of their words are when spelled out fully, nor is there to the contrary. The precedent doesn't exist. The creator decides.

>[...]
True.

>The creator decides.
False.

Natural language is basically a popularity contest. Common usage decides.

jif already existed you fucking retard
that's apples to oranges. in this case, we have a word, "gif", which phonetically should be pronounced like the peanut butter even if the creator didnt say so. in your retarded example you have a word, " gif", which phonetically should fucking not be pronounced nigger, you nigger.

"Hey guys I just made a program called 'apple' but its actually pronounced 'pear'"

is he right?
Following the grammar structure of the english language, its pronounced "gif"

It's Graphics Interchange Format. You don't pronounce graphic as "jraphic", so why would you pronounce gif as jiff?

Does everyone pronounce jpeg

"Ha peedge"

You pronounce JPEG as jay-feg?

>Gif
>Guraff
>Ping
>
>jpeegee

HUR DUR muh jraphix chkecmaetxd

>nasa should be pronounced "Naysa" because the ae in aeronautics isn't pronounced like the a in cat
>AIDS should be pronounced "uh ihds" because the a in acquired doesn't sound like "ay" and the i doesnt sound like "ee"
>the BASE in "base jumping" should be pronounced "baseh" with the a being like the a in "cat" because antenna sounds like the a in cat and not like the a in case

etc

too retarded; didnt read: kill yourself

pls explain the meme of putting no in quotes. i must be really new...

ur retarded then

>_______ is kill
>'no'

I pronounce it like GIFT without the T, always have, always will.

oh i never even thought to connect it to that. wew. i thought id missed something

>2015
>prescriptivism

Can't we just make a poll and be done with this century old dilemma?

>but I grew up with JIF
see this is what i dont get, it was always more natural and easier to say Gif.

>being some anarchic descriptivist
Oh sure, let's just go to hell in a handbasket shall we?

GIF is not a word, it's an acronym.
The "G" stands for graphical. Graphical is pronounced with a soft g, so GIF is also pronounced with a soft g. The creator is objectively wrong.

DARPA is not a word, it's an acronym.
The first "A" stands for advanced and the second "A" stands for Agency. Advanced is pronounced as in "apple", and Agency is pronounced as in "apex". The creator is objectively wrong.

It's pronounced daaaarpay

language is fluid therefore it's a hard G.

Deal with it peanut butter cucks.

Also, if Linux was supposed to be called "Leenuchs", it would have been written that way.

If GNU was supposed to be pronounced "gahnew", it would have been written that way.

If SCSI was supposed to be pronounced "scuzzy", it would have been written that way.

If "char" was supposed to be pronounced "car", it would have been written that way.

If "colonel" was supposed to be pronounced "kernel", it would have been written that way.

If "wednesday" was supposed to be prounounced "whens-day", it would have been written that way.

I could go on, but I think you realize you're an idiot now.

gist
gin
gyp
gimp
git
guilt
gid
gift
give
gib
jill
jilt
jiff
jizz
jib
jim

That's just off the top of my head.

It seems that there is no discernible pattern, so...

How do you pronounce ROM?

>How do you pronounce ROM?
[ɹɔ̜m] more or less.

"eighty nine ay"

doesn't matter, it's a retarded deprecated format no should use anymore

I pronounce it Ж-П-Г, suka

>Common usage decides.
That's how you get the failed abortion of a language that is English. We should really not.

"Gif" is like a glittery gay talking, and my tongue always said "JIF" That's right.

>if Linux was supposed to be called "Leenuchs", it would have been written that way.
but that's its proper pronunciation and how it is written, not Laynux, Lahnux, Linnix or whatever you English speaking fags try to make of it

Nope, that's how you get all languages. I assume you're talking about the orthography, but other languages don't have this problem.

>
>gist
>gin
>gyp
>gimp
>git
>guilt
>gid
>gift
>give
>gib
>jill
>jilt
>jiff
>jizz
>jib
>jim
>That's just off the top of my head.
>It seems that there is no discernible pattern, so...
Gibbed or jibbed?

Just did a quick test of this in excel using top 10000 words used in english language that I found on github. While you were correct in saying that it would go up, it is still only 3.5% exceptions.

I think this clearly shows gramatically that it should be jif rather than gif, but since both pronunciations are used frequently by large groups of people both should be acceptable.

b.1339.cf/sywgqmv.htm
i put it online here shittily.

strawpoll.me/10329872

>gramatically
It's spelling, not grammar. Grammatically, English is Germanic, this soft vs hard g distinction comes from Romance languages.

vocaroo.com/i/s19WIqshqK0l

gibbed

Of the most used 10,000 words, 286 begin with G.
In cases where the second letter is a front vowel (e,i,y) only 3.5% of the time it is pronounced with a hard G.

That clearly shows that using a hard G when the word begins with "Gi" is an exception. If there is some sort of conflict the most obvious solution is to follow the most commonly used rule which in this case would be "jif".

Except orthography doesn't match spelling, and dialects pronounce things differently. The 'a' in 'game' is a front vowel for me, and words like 'guide' have a 'u' which isn't pronounced (because of an orthographic rule from French, I'm 'hard-g' guessing), but what is pronounced is a front vowel.

You can't just look at it by the spelling, doesn't work that way.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:List_of_English_words_where_G_is_pronounced_exceptionally
english.glendale.cc.ca.us/phonics.rules.html
phonicsontheweb.com/c-g-spelling.php
read-phonics.com/phonics-awareness.html
english.glendale.cc.ca.us/phonics.split.html

These are what I was able to find about the pronunciation of G. They all say that if followed by e,i, or y that it is pronounced with a soft G.

Obviously there are exceptions but as it is a really small amount.

You grew up with peanut butter you fucking 12 year old. I was around before gifs. It was written as gif, it's still written as gif. It came to us a gif. We called it gif. I don't give a shit if the developer came out later and said it's jif. It did not come with a fucking pronunciation manual when it was released. Everyone just said gif. Oh you named your kid Rhiannon but it's pronounced Re Ann Un? Guess what we're calling that bitch Rhianon, who by the way now hates her parents. For further reference skip to 0:59 in this video. youtube.com/watch?v=CndInjuB8bA

>peanut butter cucks
First good use of that word I've seen.

How can you logically impaired autists argue with this?

>hur durr technically in English

He created it you goddamn imbeciles, he gets to choose how it's called.. If we went by "how things are supposed to be called" then we'd be calling Schools "s-choolz" you'd be called "oops" but hey, your mother went as far as giving you a name

>, he gets to choose how it's called..
No, he gets to choose how he calls it, not everyone else.

Why is the watermark on the shopped photo the handle of not the the guy posting it?

yourIQ = yourAge;

No shit, genius. We're not talking about how you're "allowed" to say it, but how it's meant to be said.

>GIF
>2016
Macfags

gif, makes more sense, easier to say
once again, fuck the creator you dont get to dictate how languages evolve

Soft G is pronounced 'jif' you dumb fuck.

>ITT beta languages that require more than 2 letters to pronounce 1 letter.

Obviously creator drank a lot of gin and called it jif which is borderline retarded.

mfw

The correct answer to the question "how is gif pronounced?" is "whichever answer will annoy the most people at any given time".

>Oh you named your kid Rhiannon but it's pronounced Re Ann Un? Guess what we're calling that bitch Rhianon
How the fuck else would you pronounce it? Rye an on?

But I can't physically bring myself to say Wednesday without breaking it up into Wed-nes-day
Whensday is just too natural to me.

Woden's day. Praise him!

>MFW I realise its meant to be pronounced 'weddin'sday'
its not nes like super SNES, its nz'
Weddings day
The day of marriage.