I remember when rendering this on a desktop was an in pressie feat for a personal computer

I remember when rendering this on a desktop was an in pressie feat for a personal computer

Other urls found in this thread:

benedikt-bitterli.me/buddhabrot/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierpinski_carpet
youtube.com/watch?v=QQYIPoIKuMI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Impressive*

That's nice, retard.

Yeah, nowadays it's fucking nothing, even this gargantuan picture just took a few seconds on my laptop and it's downsampled from 7680x5760.

You can post images with a dimension of 10,000px X 10,000px & up to 3MB on Sup Forums now, don't you know.

Oh wow

Good stuff.

Opening this made clover crash.
Kek

1.2.11 here, didn't crash for me.

By the way, do you guys know any fractal generators that use the GPU instead of the CPU?

Just opened it again and no crash.

I remember my fathers showing me a rotating cube on a trs-80 model 2, shit was off the hook back then

>By the way, do you guys know any fractal generators that use the GPU instead of the CPU?
I suspect that GPUs are generally pretty bad for that purpose. Most of the FPUs in GPUs are single precision and that is simply not enough for fractals.

But I'm not an expert on that topic.

xaos

*4MB

I fucking love fractals.
Saw this recently, it's super pretty.
benedikt-bitterli.me/buddhabrot/

Nice

trippy af.

Try vispy

dude why are there green flickering pixels

am I being hacked?

good

What the fuck are fractals and what area of mathematics do I have to study to understand them?

Complex numbers and the complex plane

Fractals are self-similar objects (i.e. they look approximately the same no matter how much you zoom in on them).

Most of the interesting ones require complex numbers.

Fractals generally are all mathematical constructs that have self-similar characteristics (there's no strict definition). They come from different fields of mathematics, so there's not one theory that incorporates them all. The simplest example is stuff like the Sierpinski carpet (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierpinski_carpet also shows nicely how it is constructed). The Mandelbrot set is more complicated than that and requires knowledge of complex numbers. Basically it's a visualization of the recursion z_n+1 = z_n^2 + c. One axis is the complex and the real part of c. The color is a measure of how quickly the recursion for each c diverges (i.e. for c = -1 the recursion is bound: z_1 = 0, z_2 = 0 -1 = -1, z_3 = 1 - 1 = 0, ... it's a loop; on the other hand for c = 0.5 it's not: z_1 = 0; z_2 = 0.5; z_3 = 0.25 + 0.5 = 0.75, z_4 = 1.0625, z_5 = 1.62890625, z_6 = 3.1533355713, ... ).

Not all fractals are the same, i.e. is extremely simple and there really is not much interesting about it. It goes on infinitely (which is a common property of fractals), but it's not like anything unexpected happens at some point. The Mandelbrot set on the other hand looks slightly different at each point. It's pretty crazy and makes you think about our universe a lot (the laws of physics are incredibly simple the closer you look, but what happens when a lot of particles come together is something insanely complex)

Chrome crashed.
AM I STILL IN 00'S?

My cousin is fucking terrified of these, I cant understand how.

youtube.com/watch?v=QQYIPoIKuMI

Wtf guys

probably low-memory fags

Give him a few grams of shrooms and watch him getting destroyed.

I'm the clover guy and my point is a nexus 5, I doubt it was low memory.

Made this a while ago

Liar kek

Naw he would die lmao.

I made a program to render Buddhabrots a few years back. It did nothing new visually, but it got ~20 FPS (enough to play with the fractal in real time).

webm related.

>Most of the FPUs in GPUs are single precision and that is simply not enough for fractals.
Maybe not for really deep zooms, but for shallow ones it's great. Not every video has to be a deep zoom. You can get good results without much precision.

If you need higher precision, GPUs aren't out of the picture. GPUs are far worse at double precision than they are at single precision, but they're still better than CPUs. And there are arbitrary precision arithmetic libraries for GPUs. I don't know how well they work, but they exist.

Ever look at the night sky and get scared about how small you are?

It's like that. Fractals are INFINITE. No matter how long you look, you will never reach the bottom. No matter how long you look, you have seen nothing (literally 0%) of the whole.

Shit, forgot my webm. Sorry for the shit quality; I'm bad at encoding.

I'll dump a few other fractal webms while I'm at it.

This one is also a Buddhabrot, but displayed differently. Too lazy to explain how it works, so just take it as a pretty picture.

Rendered like the last one with the technique I'm too lazy to explain. This is like a Buddhabrot, but with the "z^2 + c" replaced with "z^c."

Kind of slow to start, but gets real pretty later.

Should I keep dumping? It seems people aren't interested.

Loaded just fine on my 6p.

Loaded fine on my $50 Amazon tablet in Clover

>that 2014 resolution
gtfo off Sup Forums

Stop encouraging mindless consumerism. If they don't want an upgrade, why should they get one?

You should buy the tech that will make you happy. You should not feel a need to always have the fanciest stuff when it doesn't actually improve your life.

I remember copying an example from a C textbook and letting it run on a 386. It was in B&W though.

sisoft sandra anyone?