/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CKrsAje9lxg
youtube.com/watch?v=WknKmJMnrXw
youtube.com/watch?v=zBDoxTl4pAY
hinta.fi/
youtube.com/watch?v=WMD2VbElpE0)
amazon.com/Monoprice-111567-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00KVVX2QW
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Budget
500€
>Location
Finland
>Source
Nuforce udac icon3
>Preferred type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Very important
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral or v-shaped
>Preferred music
Rock, synthwave, hiphop, classical (so almost anything)
>Past headphones
Superlux HD668Bs and Beyer dt770s

would this be a good upgrade from my Superlux HD668B?

>Budget
Less than $180
>Location
United States
>Source
PC Sound Card and Fiio X5 II
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Important
>Preferred tonal balance
V-shaped to a point, no Beats headphones bass. Vocals are important.
>Preferred music
80's music of all kinds, funk, eurobeat, synth, electronic, disco, 80's jpop (with all kinds of everything else sprinkled in)
youtube.com/watch?v=CKrsAje9lxg
youtube.com/watch?v=WknKmJMnrXw
youtube.com/watch?v=zBDoxTl4pAY
>Past headphones
ATH-M50
IEM's: Vsonic GR07, JVC HA-FX850

tl;dr I'm looking to get a pair of headphones similar to my heavily used Ath-m50's that provide better comfort and would be somewhat of an upgrade.

I'm currently looking at the Beyerdynamic DT-770 and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. But I've been out of the loop for a long time.

Just buy replacement pads like velour or hybrids.

These headphones are extremely well worn. The headband has completely flaked off and the hinges are loose. I don't want to keep these anymore. And I've been saving up some money for a little while exclusively for this purpose.

I've had these since the first ath-m50 meme craze back in 2012.

HD600 users: have you really noticed a difference with/without amping (and a DAC)? I'm talking about a low-medium listening volume.

I want to make sure I'm not falling for an audiophile meme here, since I can't simply return it if I don't need it (I live in a shithole)

Surely you can save up some more for HP50.

>Vocals are important.
>DT-770
Nah.

>comfort is important
>HP50
nah. pm3 or bust.

I should have clarified a bit. Vocals are important to a certain degree. I don't want headphones that accentuate or are really great at vocals. I just don't want them muddied.

The m50's I currently have are v-shaped and do dip a bit in midrange but it's an acceptable amount to me.

And I don't really like the design of the the HP50's.

It would help if you listed your source and what type of music in which format you listen to.

i.e. if you listen to youtube music from your pc onboard front panel jacks there's a massive difference, but if you have a digital audio player and you listen to flac ripped straight from your cd collection the difference would be minimal.

I have the 650 and I notice a difference with and without amping though it sometimes it sometimes requires some very attentive listening depending on the source.

thank you. what amp/dac were you using?

Is it worth me going from AKG k550 (closed) to something like the K7XX or Fidelio X2? If so, which?

Good lightweight headphones?

IEMs.

Fill out the form.

>HD600 users: have you really noticed a difference with/without amping (and a DAC)? I'm talking about a low-medium listening volume.

See the amplifier and DAC checklist:
>Is it too quiet?
>Is the output impedance too high (fixable by equalization)?
>Is there noise/EMI or hiss to it?
>Does it sound distorted as you start to crank up the volume?
>If the answer is no, don't get one. You don't need it.
Driving it from a phone works as well as anything else, as long as you don't need it to be very loud. The HD 600/650 is an easy load, and not wanting high output makes it more so.

No, I mean headphones that are lightweight.

I don't want anything inside my ears and I don't want those bulky 400g headphones putting strain on my neck after hours of use everyday.

What part of "Fill out the form" did you not bother to read?

Because no one reads this shit and the question is sufficiently simple for anyone to have a fucking idea about it.

GOOD
LIGHTWEIGHT
HEADPHONES

You fucking autist.

If you cannot be bothered to fill out the form then you can fuck right off like the entitled little shit you are.

Hey, Sup Forumsoys, I need some advice.

>Budget
40-50€, hard budget.

>Location
Finland

hinta.fi/ is a great pricing site here in Finland. Just type the name of the product on the big space -> press enter and then you can see the products price without/with(in this order) post fees on the right.

>Source
My mobo is Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V

I want full sized.

>Open or closed
Open

>Comfort level
Very important.

>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral

>Past headphones
Siberia V2 - I liked how comfy they were but I was told multiple times that I could get better sound quality with the money(paid like 40-50€ for them)

Portapros except for:
>full sized

Takstar Hi2050

Porta pros? The FR for those looks terrible.

>If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked

Looking to finally do an upgrade

>Budget
$250 max

>Location
US

>Source
Desktop with ASUS Xonar DG card

Full

>Open or closed
Prefer closed, but can go with semi-open too

>Comfort level
Doesn't matter that much, but obviously nothing straight up uncomfortable

>Preferred tonal balance
V-Shaped

>Preferred music
Mainly electronic of various genres

>Past headphones
Sony MDR-XB600 Extra Bass

I have been liking the Beyerdynamic DT 880 600ohm, but I'm open to any suggestions if there is something better than that. Also planning on getting the Magni/Modi 2 Uber

You might like the MSR7.

Sup

Any second thoughts?

Even telling me that my thoughts are shit would be appreciated, provided you tell me why.

Fidelio X2

K553

Every headphone output you use is amplified, just depends on how high of a quality the output is(distortion, noise, output impedance, crosstalk etc) and how much power it is capable of outputting. I haven't noticed any problems driving those headphones from integrated electronics or portable devices. Check the simple checklist:

>Budget
£140 or less
>Location
United Kingdom
>Source
Huawei Nexus 6P
Full-Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very important
>Preferred tonal balance
>Preferred music
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 558, Xiaomi Piston 3, Piston 2, Denon AH-D1100, Sennheiser CX300-II

These headphones are going to be for portable use, I'm thinking maybe the Sony MDR-1A or MDR-100AAP? Any suggestions?

dt 770?, 100 quid on amazon.

Ended up going with the MSR7, but thank you both

oops, forgot you

thanks a lot guys. I can already crank the HD600 up to "so much sound leak people will hear my anime OSTs" levels, so I'm fine.

by the way, HD600 is a fucking great headphone. if anyone's on the fence about it, and you enjoy a flat-ish frequency response, you should totally go for it.

I'd need the 32Ohms version for use with a smartphone, and that sets me back £129.99 on Amazon. Also they seem rather big which wouldn't be good for portable use either.

Oops meant to quote

What's the best headphone under €50 for use in commuting and libraries?

Sennheiser HE1

pay a bit more and get a takstar pro80

there are millions of "good lightweight headphones"
basing off your attitude you're most likely poor and can't afford anything so it would be ridiculous to offer you anything above your price point

They're nowhere near as big as they look in pictures, if they're big than I 'd like to know what closed headphones you think are small?, besides really cheap shit ones obviously.

I recently became the owner of vmoda crossfade m100. Great sound. Great build quality. Highly recommended.

It has a small impedance. Why do headphone like hd600 have high impedance? Does it reduce noise?

Porta-pro

Harder to run usually means better overall in my experience.

why do you think you're in a position to recommend headphones if you don't even understand how impedance works?

Why do you think you're in a position to question him on a chinese finger painting board?

Any mexicans lurking?
Looking forward to the Amazon sale tomorrow?
I'm thinking of grabbing a pair of 598 for my vidyagames so I can sell my K550's
Last sale I saw them go for 2000$ (108 USD)

Can I save that?

it's all yours my friend

The short answer is that HD 600 was made with a very different set of priorities in mind.

What you would want to know is the sensitivity. Voltage sensitivity tells you how loud it gets and also defines the FR, although this doesn't completely define "hard to drive" by itself.

Superlux HD668Bs from jimms

Those have shit FR why would you recommend those?

Hey tyll, why do you recommend such shit headphones. Your worse that zeos because people take your advice blindly.

Anyone listened to the Hifiman He400i? Are they good enough to pay a 150 euro premium over the HD650's?

No. They lack so much detail and resolution compared to the HD600. Don't trust chink shit, specially when premium.

Are you the same retard as earlier who failed to suggest something else? Are you posting just be a negative Nancy in /hpg/?

>Budget
400 USD
>Location
Mexico
>Source
Focusrite 2i2
Over Ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Comfy AF
>Preferred tonal balance
Mostly neutral if not V shaped
>Preferred music
Gaymz and Anime OST example ( youtube.com/watch?v=WMD2VbElpE0)

>Past headphones
Hyper X Cloud II, Jaybird Bluebuds X

Thanks, I won't forget this m8

Are you the same stupid shill that keeps recommending them?

Hey, isn't that Song of the Sea? Awesome movie. The Secret of Kells was nice too.

> The FR graph on these 25$ headphones looks like shit don't buy
Are you autistic?

No, Negative Nancy. There are multiple people suggesting them because they are cheap, come with a lifetime warranty, and sound better than stock earbuds and gamer shit.

If you cannot add to the discussion why are you bother to post? Simply trolling for the lulz?

>25
>regularly sells for 35 if not more.
>plenty of better headphones at that price range

kys

>>plenty of better headphones at that price range
Not a single one of which has been suggested. . .

>lifetime warranty

you're going to need it. shit's built worse than hifimans.

Do you suffer from an overblown sense of self-importance, Negative Nancy?

Superlux HD681 @ 27 dollars

Why is Sup Forums so retarded?

Finally getting into the spirit of things? Color me surprised. It only took half a dozen posts.

is it a bad idea to buy a d2000 these days? are there better options now?

Didn't Fostex make them for Denon? Fostex is making their own headphones now.

thx00

Well that depends how much you are paying for them. They are incredibly good. As far as i know what fostex did with those drivers is make the TH-X00, a shitter more bassy version of the AH-D2000.

nigga...

yes
guy I know has them, they'll be at least $100 less than the th-x00

Hey boys, just bought some HD598s at your recommendation. Thinking about getting a DAC/Amp combo or a soundcard. In your opinion would either of them make a significant difference to music quality and/or gaming?

do it. they don't make them anymore and you're getting a good deal on them. if you really want wood on those ask emu if they can sell you some wooden cups of your choice.

I'm a girl though :<

Do you hear a hiss coming from your current sound card? Can your headphones reach the desired level of volume?

possibly. the 598 do have a weird impedance swing which can make them sound boomier through a high-impedance (cheap) amp. that's what I was told iirc. I have always used them out of my e10 though so I don't have enough experience to say for sure if the difference is noticeable. volume wise, they'll get plenty loud of if pretty much anything.

Depends on the source.

I don't listen very loudly, but I don't hear any hiss

>girl
ok ;)

Do you like the E10? Was looking at E10k

Desktop

Is the ATH-M50X a meme?

>Desktop
Probably. Most desktops have shit amp and DAC.

I have an ASRock 890GX Pro3 if that helps

Yes
The new hot meme is the M40x because it's less mainstream

>Tfw girls have better hearing than boys :3
>Tfw can wear earrings with a choice of brilliant pebbles or geometrical frustrating crystals to clean up the signal and lower THD

love the e10, for the price I paid anyways. as far as I know it's the best value for someone looking for a dac/amp combo. only problem is the volume knob (pot) can sometimes get unbalanced, but I have heard that happens on pretty much all amps with those kinds of knobs and more simple circuitry. you can fix it by just twisting the know back and forth for a second and then putting it back to your desired level by listening. or adjust balance in software. also the bass boost on my version anyways is just a bit too much, though that's not the fault of the amp, more the idea of a bass switch. you'll always get better results with time in eq.

other than those nitpicks which are easy to ignore I love it. I own many headphones and I have never had to go above level 3. it gets plenty loud. I imagine it would not be able to handle the worlds most hungry headphones like the he-6 but that's it.

Cool. I might pick it up then. Do you feel that for gayming an external DAC is better than a soundcard?

going to buy beyerdynamic T90s, it is 250 ohm
currently love koss portapro

which dac, amp up to 150 $ should I bundle it with if I have 50 $ audioquest jitterbug for filtering USB, listen to music pretty loud?

would amazon.com/Monoprice-111567-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00KVVX2QW be a good choice?

I was gonna suggest getting a cheap used T1, but I tried them with the song you posted and it didn't sound pleasant at all to me. Way too noisy and treble-heavy. Maybe you'd like that though.

How about an HD600? They're neutral, comfortable, smooth sounding, and OST music is generally great on them. They do have rather weak bass, though.

Made obsolete by newer and better headphones if that counts as a meme

I just want a decent headphone for around the same price senpai
Living in the EU makes it hard because the price goes up a lot. I saw that the M50x was still recommended.

the only thing you'll gain from a soundcard is included software, which can add some gimmicky effects and artificial "surround" if you like that. but you can find free alternatives to most of that anyways like razer surround. I just stick to my 598 with plain old stereo for gaming. I mostly do CSGO.

tl;dr sound cards are pretty much pointless.

m40x, xpt100, v6/7506. all better than the m50x and should cost less. or go open and get a 558/598. those are pretty much the go-to's between 70-150 usd.

>Budget
$300
>Location
US
>Source
Samsung Galaxy S7 also looking for a USB DAC
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very important